Best Interventional Neuro-Radiologists for Endovascular Coiling of Brain Aneurysm (Non-surgical approach)
- Dr. Vijay Kant Dixit has a rich experience of more than 18 years in the field of Interventional Neuroradiology.
- He has successfully treated more than lakhs of patients and is very successful in curing patients with rare diseases and illnesses.
- Dr. Vijay Kant Dixit has performed more than 10,000 cerebral and spinal angiograms and about 2000 Neuro-interventions including around 1,400 aneurysm coiling.
- Dr. Vipul Gupta is one of the most highly experienced and skilled interventional neurologists in India with expertise in AVMs, Intracranial Aneurysms embolization, tumor embolization, and angioplasty.
- He holds the credit of performing over 300 brain AVM procedures and more than 1000 intracranial aneurysms along with 100 DAVF procedures for the endovascular treatment of intracranial aneurysms and arteriovenous malformations.
- Dr. Gupta specializes in stenting of arterial stenosis as well as carotid stenting and intra- arterial thrombolysis for acute stroke. His expertise also lies in neurovascular imaging techniques and procedures.
- Dr. Tariq Matin is a Neurologist in Gurugram specializing in Interventional Neuroradiology.
- He holds over a decade of experience in the field and holds a fellowship from Foch Hospital, France in interventional neurosurgery and also received his training from AIIMS in Delhi.
- He provides treatment for acute ischemic stroke with the use of mechanical and chemical thrombolytic agents and endovascular coiling of complex aneurysms.
- Dr. Manish Kumar Srivastava is a renowned Interventional Radiologist in Mumbai.
- Dr. Manish Shrivastava is working on cutting-edge research in the field of endovascular management of Cerebral Venous Thrombotic Disease.
- In 2006, 2007, and 2008, he was an active participant in the Neuro-intervention teaching module.
- He has a special interest in the treatment of strokes and vascular malformation specially dural AVFs of the brain.
- Dr. Pritam Chatterjee is a qualified Interventional Neuroradiologist (Endovascular-neurosurgeon) and Interventional Radiologist.
- Dr. Pritam Chatterjee is actively involved in the research and development of advanced technology in his field to make these procedures and devices safe and affordable for patients from middle-income and low-income countries.
- He is a faculty of the National Board of Examinations, New Delhi, and actively teaches doctors from all over India.
- Dr. Pritam Chatterjee is also a mentor and faculty for the leading International FRCR (UK) examination courses.
Best Neurosurgeons for Brain Aneurysm Clipping
- Dr. S K Rajan is a renowned Neurosurgeon in Gurugram who specializes in open as well as minimally invasive spinal surgeries and has performed over 3000 complex spinal surgeries for diseases and disorders.
- Dr. S K Rajan’s expertise lies in Craniovertebral Junction and Lumbosacral Junction surgeries and is also an expert in spinal fracture surgeries, slipped discs, canal stenosis, and surgery for spinal tumors and spinal tuberculosis.
- Dr. Sandeep Vaishya is a renowned Neurosurgeon in India, with over 21 years of proficient experience in the field of advanced neurosurgery, he has closely worked with some of the top-notch institutes and hospitals in India.
- Dr. Vaishya is regarded as one of the top surgeons of Gamma Knife Surgery in South Africa and is also considered a renowned surgeon for brachial plexus injuries.
- Dr. Aditya Gupta is one of the top Neurosurgeons in India who co-founded the Institute of Neurosciences at Medanta and functioned there as the Additional Director of the Department of Neurosurgery.
- He is an active member of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons (US), Neurological Society of India, International Gamma Knife Society Treasurer, Indian Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery, and Skull Base Surgery Society.
- Dr. Rana Patir is one of the most experienced and highly qualified Neurosurgeons in India.
- He holds an extensive experience of 32+ years as a neurosurgeon and has performed more than 10,000 neurosurgical procedures till date.
- Dr. Patir is an expert in all kinds of neuro and spine surgeries with a specialization in minimally invasive brain and spine surgery, Epilepsy surgery, pediatric neurosurgery, and neurovascular surgery.
- Completing over 9000 successful neurological procedures, and still counting, Dr. Sudhir Tyagi is one of the top-notch names in India, diligently catering to neurological assistance with his vast knowledge and adept expertise.
- Dr. Tyagi pioneered the functional stereotactic surgery program at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital in New Delhi and has since then successfully performed a large number of Deep Brain Stimulation surgeries and ablative surgeries.
- In fact, Dr. Sudhir Tyagi is the first neurosurgeon to use the Image Fusion Technique to localize targets in the deep part of the brain to perform functional stereotactic surgeries. He has great experience in all types of brain and spine surgeries.
- He started his medical journey at the prestigious King George Medical College in Lucknow and completed his neurosurgery training at the premier All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi.
- He further underwent specialized training in the fields of neurovascular and skull base surgery at the clinical center Ljubljana, Slovenia, completed his Stereotactic Functional Neurosurgery training at St. Vincent Hospital Sydney, and his hands-on training in Spinal Cord Stimulation at San Francisco USA.
- He is currently working with Indraprastha Hospital with 25+ years of potent experience.
- Dr. Bipin Walia is one of the most famous neurosurgeons who has performed over 7000 successful neurosurgeries so far.
- He earned his MBBS and MS (General Surgery) degree from Armed Forces Medical College, Pune, followed by which his, M.Ch(Neurosurgery) from All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.
- Dr. Bipin Walia has over 20 years of experience with his outstanding performance earning him quite some rewards and recognition.
- Dr. Anil Kumar Kansal is a well-known neuro and spine surgeon in Delhi with over 2 decades of experience.
- He has performed over 10,000 neurosurgical procedures including 4500 brain surgeries, 500 endoscopic brain surgeries, 2000 spine surgeries, 400 aneurysms, and 500 anterior cervical microdiscectomies with 60 disc replacement procedures.
- Dr. Kansal holds great skills in aneurysm clippings, neuro-modulation, epilepsy, and neurovascular surgery and has handled several such types of cases in his career.
- Dr. Rajendra Prasad is one of the most experienced Neurosurgeon and Spine surgeons in India.
- He received his trainings in Neurosurgery from the UK and holds an experience of more than 3 decades in the field.
- Dr. Rajendra Prasad is an expert in all neuro and spine surgeries that include micro neurosurgery, minimally invasive spine surgery, surgery for degenerative spine diseases, surgery for brain and spine trauma, and neuro tumor surgeries.
- Prior to joining Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, Dr. Prasad spent most of his years in the UK in various hospitals both practicing and training in neuro and spine surgery.
- At Indraprastha, he is credited for having started the neuro-spine surgery department and has helped extensively in making it one of the best centers of neurosurgery in India.
- Dr. Rajendra Prasad is an expert neurosurgeon and has brought in years of skills and experience in the treatment of every patient with utmost care.
- Dr. V P Singh is a renowned Neurosurgeon with over 30 years of veteran experience. His competence in cranial, spinal, and peripheral nerves has helped him successfully perform 400+ Intracranial Aneurysm surgical procedures.
- Dr. Singh has also been credited for initiating the Gamma Knife Unit and epilepsy surgery program at All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi. He is proactively involved in the treatment of arteriovenous malformations by radiosurgery techniques and is currently the chairman of the Institute of Neurosciences, Medanta.
- Dr. (Prof.) V S Mehta is a leading Neurosurgeon in India and is considered among the best neurosurgeons in the world.
- He holds an experience of over 4 decades in the field and is an expert in Brachial Plexus surgery, brain stem surgery, spinal tumor surgery, brain aneurysms, and brain tumor surgery.
- He has been honored with the Padma Shri for his dedication and contributions to neurosurgery and spine surgery in India.
- In Paras Dr. V S Mehta has been part of the team to first use the Image-Guided Brain Tumor Navigation Technology for Brain tumor surgery in India.
Best Hospitals in India for Brain Aneurysm Treatment
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital is a 700-bedded multispecialty hospital in the heart of the capital of India. It is a part of Apollo Hospital group, one of India’s most reputed healthcare chains. Indraprastha Apollo Hospital has been accredited by Joint Commission International, making it the first internationally accredited hospital in the country in 2005.
- There are 52 specialties in the hospital with one of the best cardiology centers in the country. The hospital is also equipped with State of the art infrastructure facilities with the largest Sleep Lab in Asia and the largest number of ICU bed facilities in India.
- The hospital also has one of the largest dialysis units in India along with a dedicated Bone Marrow Transplant unit.
- The latest and highly advanced technologies that are installed in the hospital include Da Vinci Robotic Surgery System, PET-MR, PET-CT, Cobalt-based HDR Brachytherapy, Brain Lab Navigation System, Tilting MRI, Portable CT scanner, 3 Tesla MRI, 128 Slice CT scanner, DSA Lab, Endosonography, Hyperbaric Chamber and Fibro scan.
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute is a multi-super-specialty, quaternary care hospital with 1000 beds. The hospital comprises reputed clinicians, and international faculty and is also equipped with cutting-edge technology. The hospital is a part of Fortis Healthcare Limited, a reputed chain of private hospitals in India.
- It is a NABH-accredited hospital that is spread across 11 acres of land and has a capacity of 1000 beds. The hospital has 55 specialties and is one of the premier health care centers in the Asia Pacific region popularly known as “the Mecca of Healthcare”.
- The hospital has 260 diagnostic centers and is also equipped with the latest and advanced techniques that include 3 Telsa which is the world’s first Digital MRI technology. The hospital also has world-class Radiation Therapy techniques which have been developed by leading technology experts from Elekta and Brain Lab.
Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon
- One of India’s best and largest multi-specialty hospitals, Medanta was built with the aim to bring India to the highest standards of medical care. The hospital has been providing the best medical services to its patients, since its inception, with care, commitment, and compassion.
- Equipped with 1250 beds, the hospital was founded by Dr. Naresh Trehan in the year 2009 with an aim to provide the best medical care at affordable costs. The hospital is spread across 43 acres and includes 45 operation theatres and 350 beds dedicated solely to ICU. The hospital includes over 800 doctors, and more than 22 specialty departments and has a dedicated floor for individual specialty in order to offer the best services under one roof.
- The hospital is considered one of the premier institutes in India for Cardiac Care and includes staffs and members of high caliber. The hospital has 6 distinct centers of excellence.
Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- One of the well-regarded providers in India committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence and patient care, Max Super Specialty Hospital is a part of Max Healthcare, which is the second-largest healthcare chain in India. Regarded as one of the most well-regarded healthcare providers in the country, Max Super Specialty Hospital is committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence as well as patient care. The hospital is also equipped with the latest technology as well as cutting-edge research. The hospital is known to deliver and ensure the highest level of patient care.
- The hospital has more than 500 beds and offers treatment for over 35 specialties. The hospital also holds the credit of having installed the first Brain Suite in Asia. This is a highly advanced Neurosurgical machine that allows MRI to be taken while surgery is ongoing.
- Other advanced and latest technologies are also installed in the hospital such as the 1.5 Tesla MRI machine, 64 Slice CT Angiography, 4D ECHO, LINAC, and 3.5T MRI machine.
Fortis Escorts Hospital, New Delhi
- Over the last 33 years, the Fortis Escorts Heart Institute has set new standards in cardiac treatment with groundbreaking research. It is now known around the world as a centre of expertise for Cardiac Bypass Surgery, Interventional Cardiology, Non-invasive Cardiology, Paediatric Cardiology, and Paediatric Cardiac Surgery.
- The hospital has cutting-edge laboratories that perform a wide range of diagnostic tests in Nuclear Medicine, Radiology, Biochemistry, Haematology, Transfusion Medicine, and Microbiology.
- Fortis Escorts Heart Institute boasts a diverse group of bright and experienced doctors who are backed up by a team of highly qualified, experienced, and devoted support professionals as well as cutting-edge equipment such as the recently installed Dual CT Scan.
- Approximately 200 cardiac doctors and 1600 personnel currently collaborate to manage over 14,500 admissions and 7,200 emergency situations each year. The hospital now has a 310-bed infrastructure, as well as five cath labs and a slew of other world-class amenities.
Apollo Hospital, Chennai
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, is one of the best hospitals for heart care in India. Over the years, Apollo has expanded all over India, as a healthcare chain.
- India’s first ‘Only Pancreas’ transplant was performed in Apollo Hospital. The hospital is known for successfully performing Asia’s first en-bloc combined heart and liver transplant, and over the years, it has attained a remarkable achievement in the global healthcare space. Around 3-4 organ transplants are performed in the hospital per day.
- Equipped with over 500 beds, this hospital in Chennai was established in 1983 and since then has been among the most preferred hospital for patients from all over the world.
- The hospital holds accreditation of the NABH and JCI and is the first hospital in India to be ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certified. It is also the first South Indian Hospital to receive subsequent reaccreditation from the JCI USA 4 times.
Rela Hospital, Chennai
- RIMC is a multi-specialty hospital in a sprawling area of 36 acres located in Chromepet, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
- The facility has 450 beds including 130 critical care beds, 9 operating rooms, modern reference laboratories and radiology services, and is conveniently located near road, rail and air transportation.
- RIMC is led and managed by world-renowned physicians committed to healthcare.
- RIMC offers the broadest range of clinical care, education, and research. The hospital offers state-of-the-art technology and modern treatment facilities designed to provide health care at an affordable cost.
- Rela Institute is driven by patient needs, comfort and confidence.
Artemis Hospital, Gurugram
- One of the most well-known hospitals in the Delhi NCR, Artemis Hospital is the first hospital in Gurugram to get accredited by the Joint Commission International.
- With more than 40 specialties, the hospital has been designed to be one of the most technically advanced hospitals in the country, with the best medical and surgical health care. The hospital has eleven special and dedicated centers, for Heart, Cancer, Neurosciences, etc.
- The latest technologies in the hospital include Endovascular Hybrid Operating Suite and Flat panel Cath Labs for the cardiovascular department, 3 Tesla MRI, 16 slice PET CT, 64 Slice Cardiac CT Scan, HDR Brachytherapy, and highly advanced Image Guided Radiation Therapy techniques (LINAC) are installed in the hospital.
- The hospital has won several awards as well, since its inception.
BLK Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- Equipped with 650 beds, BLK Superspecialty Hospital is the largest stand-alone private sector hospital in Delhi. With over 1500 healthcare providers and 150 globally renowned super specialists, the hospital is one of Asia’s largest Bone Marrow Transplant Centres. The hospital is known for having some of the best cancer doctors in the country.
- The hospital is NABH and NABL accredited and was inaugurated by the first Prime Minister of India. Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru. It is one of the largest tertiary care private hospitals in India which was spread across 5 acres and has a capacity of 650 beds.
- The hospital has 80 consultation rooms spread across two floors, especially for OPD services.
- With one of the largest critical care programs, the hospital is equipped with 125 ICU beds specifically dedicated to the surgical, medical, neonatal, cardiac, pediatric, neuroscience and organ transplant units.
CARE Hospitals, Hyderabad
- CARE Hospitals were established in the year 2000, by CARE Group.
- The multispecialty hospital has 435 beds, including 120 critical care beds, with an annual inflow of 180000 outpatients and 16,000 in-patients.
- The hospital provides specialty medical services in Cardiology, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Pediatric Cardiology, Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Nephrology, and Urology.
- The hospital has the first dual source, 128 slice CT scanner (for high precision cardiac imaging) – the first of its kind in south India.
- The hospital offers a wide range of accommodation facilities for the convenience of its varied patient base, ranging from general wards to super deluxe rooms.
The space between the thin tissues that cover the brain and the brain is the most common spot for the occurrence of a ruptured Brain Aneurysm. It is often referred to as subarachnoid hemorrhage.
A ruptured aneurysm may prove to be life-threatening, thereby requiring an urgent need for medical treatment. While most of the aneurysms don’t rupture, they may cause symptoms and create health problems.
Causes of Brain Aneurysm
Common in people over the age of 40 years, Brain Aneurysm may occur at any age. Some may also have a defect in the blood vessels by birth. You may observe a significant female predilection. The sections where the blood vessels branch off are weaker. Brain Aneurysms are common at these places and mostly occur in the base of the brain. There are some factors responsible for the rupture of an already existing Brain Aneurysm. They may be:
- Excess straining during bowel movements
- Excessive exercise
- Intense anger
- Coffee consumption
Damage to the structure of the arteries may result in weakness and cause Brain Aneurysms. If a serious infection in the body damages the arteries, it may lead to a Brain Aneurysm. Sometimes, chronic high blood pressure and smoking are also possible causes for brain aneurysms.
Symptoms of Brain Aneurysm
Unruptured Aneurysm: You may not notice any symptoms for an unruptured Brain Aneurysm, especially if it is a small one. However, the larger ones may press the nerves and tissues of the brain. Ultimately it may result in-
- Double vision or change in vision
- Pain above one eye
- Numbness on a side of the face
- Dilated pupil
Leaking Aneurysm: Sometimes, an aneurysm may leak some amount of blood that is called sentinel bleeding. This leaking may result in an extremely severe and sudden headache.
Ruptured Aneurysm: One of the chief symptoms of a ruptured Brain Aneurysm is a severe sudden headache. It is sometimes referred to as the worst headache that you will experience. Some other symptoms of a ruptured aneurysm include:
- Double vision or blurred vision
- Loss of consciousness
- Stiff neck
- Drooping eyelids
- Sensitivity to light
Diagnosis of Brain Aneurysm
There are several tests and different types of scans that help in determining whether you have a Brain Aneurysm or not.
During MRI, your doctor will ask you to lie on a table that will slide into a scanner. It uses radio waves and a magnetic field to create detailed images of your blood vessels and brain. It has the ability to detect Brain Aneurysms that are larger than 5 millimeters.
During CT Scans, this type of examination creates the images of the brain. Similar to MRI, you will lie on a table that slides into the CT scanner. The technician will inject a dye into one of the veins to aid in seeing the blood flow while spotting aneurysms in your brain.
Angiogram is one of the most reliable tests to detect aneurysms. It depicts the weaker spots of your blood vessels. Your doctor will be inserting a small flexible tube called a catheter through the blood vessels in your leg. He or she will guide the catheter into the blood vessels of your neck that extend up to the brain. He or she will take X-rays after injecting a contrast dye to view all the blood vessels in your brain. This helps the doctor to easily figure out the location of the Brain Aneurysm.
During CSF test, your doctor may recommend you cerebrospinal fluid test if he or she notices the symptoms of a ruptured Brain Aneurysm. The technician will inject a needle to draw out the spinal fluid. Your doctor will test the fluid to check whether it has blood that indicates a ruptured Brain Aneurysm.
Treatment options for Brain Aneurysm
For Unruptured Brain Aneurysm
There may not be a need for the treatment of small and unruptured aneurysms. Some lifestyle changes can help you prevent the leaking of the aneurysm like:
- Avoid stimulant drugs or cocaine
- Take a proper diet and exercise regularly to lower your blood pressure
- Avoid lifting heavy objects to avoid a rise in your blood pressure
- Stop smoking
- Restrict the consumption of caffeine because it may cause your blood pressure to elevate.
For Ruptured Brain Aneurysm
For a ruptured Brain Aneurysm, you need prompt treatment as it may bleed again. There’s a need to stop the blood flow into the ruptured aneurysm. Your doctor will recommend the best treatment possible based on the location, size, type of the aneurysm and your health.
Flow diverter surgery
- Regular exercise
- Quitting smoking
- Managing the blood pressure and cholesterol level
- Eating a balanced diet of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, meat and low-fat dairy products.
These small lifestyle changes may help significantly to manage Brain Aneurysms.