Best Doctors in India for Thalassemia Treatment
- Dr. Rahul Bhargava is a leading Hematologist and Bone Marrow Transplant specialist who specializes in Haploidentical and unrelated match transplants and has performed over 400 Bone Marrow Transplants.
- He became the first doctor in India to introduce Stem Cell Transplant for Multiple Sclerosis in 2016.
- With his team of oncology specialists, Dr. Rahul Bhargava performed the first Haploidentical Stem Cell transplant on a Fanconi Anemia patient in India.
- Dr. Vikas Dua is one of the best Pediatric Hemato Oncologist and Bone Marrow Transplant surgeons in India with over 200 pediatric Bone Marrow Transplants to his credit.
- His specialty lies in Pediatric haploidentical transplants and also finds interest in Bone Marrow Transplants for Leukemia and Thalassemia in pediatric patients.
- Dr. Vikas Dua received his training in Pediatric BMT from St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis and holds Fellowship in Pediatric BMT from the National University Hospital in Singapore.
- Dr. Dharma Choudhary is a renowned Hemato Oncologist who has more than a decade of experience in the field and is one of the best doctors in India for Hemato-Oncology.
- Dr. Choudhary is an expert in bone marrow transplantation for leukemia in adults, stem cell transplant for leukemia, and lymphoma (blood cancer) in adults and his expertise also lies in the treatment of solid tumors and various benign blood disorders.
- Dr. Choudhary holds the credit of performing some of the most complex bone marrow transplants in India and has had several successful results to his name.
- Dr. Gaurav Kharya is one of India’s top pediatric hematologists. He has over 17 years of expertise and is affiliated with Indraprastha Apollo Hospital.
- Dr. Kharya specializes in pediatric hemato-oncology, immunology, and bone marrow transplantation. He has extensive expertise in transplanting in children with benign or malignant blood abnormalities, immunological disorders, and other conditions both nationally and internationally.
- Dr. Kharya performed around 600 bone marrow transplants with his team. He undertook the first haploidentical bone marrow transplant for sickle cell disease in India. He also depleted TCR alpha beta CD 19 in invitro by haploidentical BMT in a 4-month-old baby with severe combined immunodeficiency.
- Dr. Satya Prakash Yadav is counted among the most experienced pediatric hemato-oncologists in India. His primary focus lies in Pediatric Leukemia, Bone Marrow, and Stem Cell transplantation.
- His experience exceeds over 20 years during which he has performed more than 400 bone marrow and blood transplant procedures. Among these, he has also performed over 50 Haplo identical bone marrow transplants and 50 unrelated donor and cord transplants.
- Dr. Yadav specializes in Blood Cancer treatment, Bone Marrow Transplant, Medical Oncology, and Stem Cell Transplant and has performed several such procedures with successful results.
- Dr. Ashok Kumar Vaid is a reputed Medical Oncologist in India with expertise in the treatment of blood, lungs, skin, breast, and gastrointestinal cancers.
- He is famously known for performing among the first 25 bone marrow transplants in a private hospital in India.
- Dr. Ashok Vaid’s primary area of focus lies in Leukemia, Lymphoma, Solid tumors, and the treatment of organ-specific benign and malignant tumors.
- He prefers to treat his patients using non-surgical and pain-free techniques that include hormone therapy, biological therapy, targeted therapy, and chemotherapy.
- Dr. Hari Goyal is the head of the Oncology unit comprising some of the finest oncologists in the country. The team effort gives an edge & advantage to the patients’ management.
- His contribution to oncology is immense & has developed drugs for the management of chemotherapy side effects. This development has helped millions of cancer patients since 2004.
- Dr. Hari Goyal was a part of a large number of clinical trials of cancer research including one of the FDA audited trials.
- Dr. Rahul Naithani is a reputed clinical hematologist. After his return from Canada, Dr. Naithani started his Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplant program at Max healthcare and is known to have performed over 130 BMTs in the past.
- His incredible skills and proficient work experience are currently helping him indulge in scientific research with multiple publications to his credit helping the national and international medical industry greatly.
- Dr. Santanu Sen is among the top-rated pediatric oncologists in India and is highly skilled in the treatment of brain, blood, bone cancer, and other types of blood disorders in children.
- Dr. Sen has been associated with one of the renowned cancer hospitals in the world, the Royal Marsden Hospital in London.
- He is currently associated as a Consultant with Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital in Mumbai where he also heads the Pediatric Stem Cell Transplant Program. This program holds the credit for performing Stem Cell Transplants on the youngest baby in the world (4 months for Neuroblastoma) as well as the youngest Thalassemia transplant in India (9-month-old baby).
Best Hospitals in India for Thalassemia Treatment
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital is a 700-bedded multispecialty hospital in the heart of the capital of India. It is a part of Apollo Hospital group, one of India’s most reputed healthcare chains. Indraprastha Apollo Hospital has been accredited by Joint Commission International, making it the first internationally accredited hospital in the country in 2005.
- There are 52 specialties in the hospital with one of the best cardiology centers in the country. The hospital is also equipped with State of the art infrastructure facilities with the largest Sleep Lab in Asia and the largest number of ICU bed facilities in India.
- The hospital also has one of the largest dialysis units in India along with a dedicated Bone Marrow Transplant unit.
- The latest and highly advanced technologies that are installed in the hospital include Da Vinci Robotic Surgery System, PET-MR, PET-CT, Cobalt-based HDR Brachytherapy, Brain Lab Navigation System, Tilting MRI, Portable CT scanner, 3 Tesla MRI, 128 Slice CT scanner, DSA Lab, Endosonography, Hyperbaric Chamber and Fibro scan.
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute is a multi-super-specialty, quaternary care hospital with 1000 beds. The hospital comprises reputed clinicians, and international faculty and is also equipped with cutting-edge technology. The hospital is a part of Fortis Healthcare Limited, a reputed chain of private hospitals in India.
- It is a NABH-accredited hospital that is spread across 11 acres of land and has a capacity of 1000 beds. The hospital has 55 specialties and is one of the premier health care centers in the Asia Pacific region popularly known as “the Mecca of Healthcare”.
- The hospital has 260 diagnostic centers and is also equipped with the latest and advanced techniques that include 3 Telsa which is the world’s first Digital MRI technology. The hospital also has world-class Radiation Therapy techniques which have been developed by leading technology experts from Elekta and Brain Lab.
Apollo Hospital, Chennai
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, is one of the best hospitals for heart care in India. Over the years, Apollo has expanded all over India, as a healthcare chain.
- India’s first ‘Only Pancreas’ transplant was performed in Apollo Hospital. The hospital is known for successfully performing Asia’s first en-bloc combined heart and liver transplant, and over the years, it has attained a remarkable achievement in the global healthcare space. Around 3-4 organ transplants are performed in the hospital per day.
- Equipped with over 500 beds, this hospital in Chennai was established in 1983 and since then has been among the most preferred hospital for patients from all over the world.
- The hospital holds accreditation of the NABH and JCI and is the first hospital in India to be ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certified. It is also the first South Indian Hospital to receive subsequent reaccreditation from the JCI USA 4 times.
Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon
- One of India’s best and largest multi-specialty hospitals, Medanta was built with the aim to bring India to the highest standards of medical care. The hospital has been providing the best medical services to its patients, since its inception, with care, commitment, and compassion.
- Equipped with 1250 beds, the hospital was founded by Dr. Naresh Trehan in the year 2009 with an aim to provide the best medical care at affordable costs. The hospital is spread across 43 acres and includes 45 operation theatres and 350 beds dedicated solely to ICU. The hospital includes over 800 doctors, and more than 22 specialty departments and has a dedicated floor for individual specialty in order to offer the best services under one roof.
- The hospital is considered one of the premier institutes in India for Cardiac Care and includes staffs and members of high caliber. The hospital has 6 distinct centers of excellence.
Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- One of the well-regarded providers in India committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence and patient care, Max Super Specialty Hospital is a part of Max Healthcare, which is the second-largest healthcare chain in India. Regarded as one of the most well-regarded healthcare providers in the country, Max Super Specialty Hospital is committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence as well as patient care. The hospital is also equipped with the latest technology as well as cutting-edge research. The hospital is known to deliver and ensure the highest level of patient care.
- The hospital has more than 500 beds and offers treatment for over 35 specialties. The hospital also holds the credit of having installed the first Brain Suite in Asia. This is a highly advanced Neurosurgical machine that allows MRI to be taken while surgery is ongoing.
- Other advanced and latest technologies are also installed in the hospital such as the 1.5 Tesla MRI machine, 64 Slice CT Angiography, 4D ECHO, LINAC, and 3.5T MRI machine.
Artemis Hospital, Gurugram
- One of the most well-known hospitals in the Delhi NCR, Artemis Hospital is the first hospital in Gurugram to get accredited by the Joint Commission International.
- With more than 40 specialties, the hospital has been designed to be one of the most technically advanced hospitals in the country, with the best medical and surgical health care. The hospital has eleven special and dedicated centers, for Heart, Cancer, Neurosciences, etc.
- The latest technologies in the hospital include Endovascular Hybrid Operating Suite and Flat panel Cath Labs for the cardiovascular department, 3 Tesla MRI, 16 slice PET CT, 64 Slice Cardiac CT Scan, HDR Brachytherapy, and highly advanced Image Guided Radiation Therapy techniques (LINAC) are installed in the hospital.
- The hospital has won several awards as well, since its inception.
BLK Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- Equipped with 650 beds, BLK Superspecialty Hospital is the largest stand-alone private sector hospital in Delhi.
- With over 1500 healthcare providers and 150 globally renowned super specialists, the hospital is one of Asia’s largest Bone Marrow Transplant Centres. The hospital is known for having some of the best cancer doctors in the country.
- The hospital is NABH and NABL accredited and was inaugurated by the first Prime Minister of India. Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru.
Gleneagles Global Hospitals, Chennai
- Established in 1999, Gleneagles Global Hospital, Chennai, is one of the top healthcare facilities in Southern India. It is part of the Gleneagles Hospital Chain, which is the fourth largest healthcare chain in the country. The hospital specializes in multi-organ transplants of kidneys, liver, lungs, heart, etc.
- The hospital has an excellent infrastructure and state-of-the-art lab and equipment set-up. The hospital boasts cutting-edge technologies, a highly skilled team of doctors and surgeons, and trained support staff. Located in Perumbakam, Chennai, it is one of India’s premier health care destinations. The hospital has performed some of the most complex surgical and clinical procedures in India including multi-organ transplantations.
- The hospital’s lung transplantation program is one of the best in the country. The hospital is known for having performed India’s first single lung transplant and first minimal invasive lung transplant. It is also the only Indian hospital to be associated with King’s College Hospital, London, United Kingdom for liver transplantations.
Fortis Hospital, Mulund, Mumbai
- Fortis Hospital in Mulund is a 315-bed multi-speciality tertiary care hospital with five JCI accreditations that offers a wide variety of diagnostic and therapeutic services. The Fortis Hospital in Mulund delivers patient-centred treatment with cutting-edge technology, highly skilled and experienced surgeons, and paramedical staff.
- This institution houses Maharashtra’s largest multi-organ transplant centre. It is also the first heart transplant centre in western India to conduct 100 or more consecutive heart transplants in under four years. It is the only hospital in the city to have multi-organ transplants and has handled the youngest patient for angioplasty. Fortis Hospital Mulund now boasts the first advanced surgical robot in central Mumbai.
- Cardiology and heart surgery, urology, nephrology, neurosciences, orthopaedics, digestive care, emergency and critical care, and maternity care are among the services provided by the hospital.
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Named after the wife of Indian industrialist Dhirubhai Ambani, the founder of Reliance Industries, this is one of the top hospitals in Mumbai. This 750-bed multi-specialty hospital became operational in 2009. Known as one of India’s most advanced tertiary care facilities, the hospital is designed to raise India’s global standing as a healthcare hub, with an emphasis on excellence in clinical services.
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital uses Protocol and Care Pathway based treatment models to ensure the best outcomes for patients.
- The hospital represents a confluence of top-notch talent, cutting-edge technology, state-of-the-art infrastructure, and, most importantly commitment.
- The hospital also holds the accreditation of the NABH, NABL, CAP, and JCI.
- The hospital has been recognized as the No. 1 Multispecialty Hospital in Mumbai and the West Zone for the fifth year in a row in 2020 by The Week.
What is Thalassemia?
Thalassemia is an inherited blood disorder in which the patient’s body makes inadequate amount or abnormal form of haemoglobin. Haemoglobin of Red Blood Cells carries oxygen through the body. Thalassemia results in damage of large number of RBCs thereby making the patient anemic.
Thalassemia is a genetic disorder. Thalassemia is caused by mutations in the DNA of cells that forms the haemoglobin & these are passed from parents to children.
There are two proteins involved in the formation of haemoglobin, viz. Alpha and Beta proteins. Type of Thalassemia depends on these two proteins. Alpha thalassemia means the body lacks alpha haemoglobin & Beta thalassemia is when the body lacks Beta haemoglobin.
Signs & symptoms of Thalassemia
Signs & symptoms of Thalassemia are:
- Brittle bones
- Loss of appetite
- Pale or yellow skin
- Swelling in the abdomen
- Dark urine
- Delayed growth in children
- Heart problems
Diagnosis of Thalassemia
- Prenatal Examinations- Certain tests can be done before a baby is born to find out if the baby has thalassemia. These tests are:
- Chorionic villus sampling test involves removal of tiny piece of the placenta for evaluation and is usually done around the 11th week of pregnancy.
- Amniocentesis involves taking a sample of the amniotic fluid that surrounds the foetus and is usually done around the 16th week of pregnancy.
Treatment of Thalassemia
Mild cases of thalassemia require no treatment. Occasionally, blood transfusion and surgery is required to help manage thalassemia complications. Treatment is required for moderate to severe thalassemia. The treatment options are:
Iron chelation therapy
Bone marrow transplant
Bone Marrow or Stem Cell Transplant involves transferring of stem cells or bone marrow from a compatible donor, usually sibling. This procedure eliminates the lifelong blood transfusions and drugs to control excess of iron.