Best Esophagus Cancer Treatment Doctors in India
- Dr. Ramesh Sarin is one of the best surgical oncologists in India, with a mammoth experience of 49 years.
- Furthermore, the veteran oncologist focuses on managing breast cancer and related disorders like sentinel node biopsy.
- She is also interested in Phyaryngeal Cancer, Uterine Cancer, Bladder Cancer, Cervical Cancer, Liver Cancer, Fallopian Tube Cancer, Bone Cancer, Lung Cancer, Colon and Rectal Cancer, Lymphedema, and Brain Cancer.
- With 20+ years of experience, Dr. Niranjan Naik is one of the reputable names in the field of oncology and has performed more than 12000 onco-surgical operations so far, including many advanced and complex onco-surgical operations.
- Dr. Naik is generally considered one of the best Breast Cancer surgeons in India. He is also well versed in diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopic procedures.
- One of the finest oncologists in India, Dr. Ruqaya Ahmad Mir has been practicing surgical oncology for the past 20 years and is currently functioning as a Senior Consultant, Oncology at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi.
- Dr. Ruqaya Mir is known for her outstanding performance in some of the advanced surgical techniques which include Uterus and Ovary and Limb Conservation surgery and Cytoreductive surgery and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal chemotherapy for advanced colorectal and recurrent ovarian malignancies.
- She is also a well trained Robotic Surgeon practicing implementation of minimal invasion in surgical oncology.
- Dr. Harit Chaturvedi is considered among the best surgical oncologists in India. He has over 3 decades of experience in Surgical Oncology and provides services for the surgical treatment of various types of cancers affecting the breast, head and neck, oral, abdomen, and GI regions.
- He performs surgeries for cancer patients for the removal of both breasts and lymph nodes, removal of part or entire thyroid gland, breast-conserving surgery, surgery for removal of part or entire small intestine, surgery for prostate cancer, etc.
- Dr. Vedant Kabra is a reputed Surgical Oncologist with specializations in the surgical treatment of breast, head and neck, thoracic, urological, and GI cancers.
- He has more than 20 years of experience in the field and has performed more than 12,000 cancer surgeries related to breast, GI, head, and neck, and Thoracic and GI cancers.
- Dr. P K Das is one of the best Oncologists in India with an extensive career as the Senior Consultant Medical Oncologist, the Hemato- Oncologist, and Academic Coordinator of Dept of medical oncology at the Apollo Cancer Institute in New Delhi.
- With many years of experience at the Apollo Hospital, Dr. P K Das has been diligently treating patients and proactively contributing to the medical sector by working alongside topmost doctors in medical oncology.
- Dr. S M Shuaib Zaidi is a Senior Consultant of Surgical Oncology at Apollo Cancer Institute of Indraprastha Apollo Hospital.
- His expertise lies in the surgical treatment of cancer of the lungs, esophagus, breast, GI tract, and mediastinal regions.
- Dr. Shuaib Zaidi has close to 2 decades of experience in the field of Surgical Oncology and his expertise lies in Thoracic Oncology surgery.
- Dr. Shuaib is known to have developed an innovative technique known as Radical Neck dissection for head and neck cancer surgery that helps in preserving the marginal mandibular nerve in order to ease the cosmetic outcome of the procedure.
- Dr. Zaidi also has experience in Robotic Surgery and received training in the procedure from IRCAD in Strass Bourg, France.
- Dr. Sameer Kaul is a surgical oncologist at Apollo Cancer Institute of Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- He is the head of an independent Surgical Oncology Unit that comprises senior and junior consultants along with oncology nurses and other staff.
- Dr. Kaul performs all kinds of cancer surgeries related to the head and neck, breast, thoracic region, GI, genitourinary, soft tissues, and bones.
- He has 26+ years of experience in Surgical Oncology and has received his training from leading cancer centers of the world.
- Prior to joining Apollo, Dr. Sameer Kaul served in various other hospitals in India taking up different cancer cases and providing successful treatment.
- Dr. Sameer Kaul has extensive experience in Robotic surgeries and performs several of his procedures through Robotic techniques.
- He constantly works towards providing the best cancer care to the underprivileged section of society and therefore founded BCPBF – The Cancer Foundation, an NGO that works towards spreading cancer awareness.
- Dr. Kaul has been responsible for bringing various new and advanced techniques for cancer treatment to the country.
- He popularized Radio Frequency Ablation, Reconstruction for CA breast, and Post insertion in India
- Dr. Shefali Agrawal is one of the best surgical oncologists in India, with more than 32 years of experience in the field.
- Dr. Agrawal is practicing as a Senior Consultant Surgical Oncologist at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi.
- The doctor took several certified training in surgical oncology in the USA.
- Dr. Agarwal specializes in Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Cancer. She also finds her interest in Medical Oncology, management of Cervical Cancer, Phyaryngeal Cancer, Brain Cancer, Bone Cancer, Colo-rectal Cancer, Ovarian Cancer, Bladder Cancer, and Fallopian Tube Cancer.
- Dr. Agarwal has published several articles and papers in esteemed national and international journals.
Best Esophageal Cancer Treatment Hospitals in India
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital is a 700-bedded multispecialty hospital in the heart of the capital of India. It is a part of Apollo Hospital group, one of India’s most reputed healthcare chains. Indraprastha Apollo Hospital has been accredited by Joint Commission International, making it the first internationally accredited hospital in the country in 2005.
- There are 52 specialties in the hospital with one of the best cardiology centers in the country. The hospital is also equipped with State of the art infrastructure facilities with the largest Sleep Lab in Asia and the largest number of ICU bed facilities in India.
- The hospital also has one of the largest dialysis units in India along with a dedicated Bone Marrow Transplant unit.
- The latest and highly advanced technologies that are installed in the hospital include Da Vinci Robotic Surgery System, PET-MR, PET-CT, Cobalt-based HDR Brachytherapy, Brain Lab Navigation System, Tilting MRI, Portable CT scanner, 3 Tesla MRI, 128 Slice CT scanner, DSA Lab, Endosonography, Hyperbaric Chamber and Fibro scan.
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute is a multi-super-specialty, quaternary care hospital with 1000 beds. The hospital comprises reputed clinicians, and international faculty and is also equipped with cutting-edge technology. The hospital is a part of Fortis Healthcare Limited, a reputed chain of private hospitals in India.
- It is a NABH-accredited hospital that is spread across 11 acres of land and has a capacity of 1000 beds. The hospital has 55 specialties and is one of the premier health care centers in the Asia Pacific region popularly known as “the Mecca of Healthcare”.
- The hospital has 260 diagnostic centers and is also equipped with the latest and advanced techniques that include 3 Telsa which is the world’s first Digital MRI technology. The hospital also has world-class Radiation Therapy techniques which have been developed by leading technology experts from Elekta and Brain Lab.
Apollo Hospital, Chennai
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, is one of the best hospitals for heart care in India. Over the years, Apollo has expanded all over India, as a healthcare chain.
- India’s first ‘Only Pancreas’ transplant was performed in Apollo Hospital. The hospital is known for successfully performing Asia’s first en-bloc combined heart and liver transplant, and over the years, it has attained a remarkable achievement in the global healthcare space. Around 3-4 organ transplants are performed in the hospital per day.
- Equipped with over 500 beds, this hospital in Chennai was established in 1983 and since then has been among the most preferred hospital for patients from all over the world.
- The hospital holds accreditation of the NABH and JCI and is the first hospital in India to be ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certified. It is also the first South Indian Hospital to receive subsequent reaccreditation from the JCI USA 4 times.
Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon
- One of India’s best and largest multi-specialty hospitals, Medanta was built with the aim to bring India to the highest standards of medical care. The hospital has been providing the best medical services to its patients, since its inception, with care, commitment, and compassion.
- Equipped with 1250 beds, the hospital was founded by Dr. Naresh Trehan in the year 2009 with an aim to provide the best medical care at affordable costs. The hospital is spread across 43 acres and includes 45 operation theatres and 350 beds dedicated solely to ICU. The hospital includes over 800 doctors, and more than 22 specialty departments and has a dedicated floor for individual specialty in order to offer the best services under one roof.
- The hospital is considered one of the premier institutes in India for Cardiac Care and includes staffs and members of high caliber. The hospital has 6 distinct centers of excellence.
Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- One of the well-regarded providers in India committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence and patient care, Max Super Specialty Hospital is a part of Max Healthcare, which is the second-largest healthcare chain in India. Regarded as one of the most well-regarded healthcare providers in the country, Max Super Specialty Hospital is committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence as well as patient care. The hospital is also equipped with the latest technology as well as cutting-edge research. The hospital is known to deliver and ensure the highest level of patient care.
- The hospital has more than 500 beds and offers treatment for over 35 specialties. The hospital also holds the credit of having installed the first Brain Suite in Asia. This is a highly advanced Neurosurgical machine that allows MRI to be taken while surgery is ongoing.
- Other advanced and latest technologies are also installed in the hospital such as the 1.5 Tesla MRI machine, 64 Slice CT Angiography, 4D ECHO, LINAC, and 3.5T MRI machine.
Artemis Hospital, Gurugram
- One of the most well-known hospitals in the Delhi NCR, Artemis Hospital is the first hospital in Gurugram to get accredited by the Joint Commission International.
- With more than 40 specialties, the hospital has been designed to be one of the most technically advanced hospitals in the country, with the best medical and surgical health care. The hospital has eleven special and dedicated centers, for Heart, Cancer, Neurosciences, etc.
- The latest technologies in the hospital include Endovascular Hybrid Operating Suite and Flat panel Cath Labs for the cardiovascular department, 3 Tesla MRI, 16 slice PET CT, 64 Slice Cardiac CT Scan, HDR Brachytherapy, and highly advanced Image Guided Radiation Therapy techniques (LINAC) are installed in the hospital.
- The hospital has won several awards as well, since its inception.
BLK Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- Equipped with 650 beds, BLK Superspecialty Hospital is the largest stand-alone private sector hospital in Delhi.
- With over 1500 healthcare providers and 150 globally renowned super specialists, the hospital is one of Asia’s largest Bone Marrow Transplant Centres. The hospital is known for having some of the best cancer doctors in the country.
- The hospital is NABH and NABL accredited and was inaugurated by the first Prime Minister of India. Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru.
Gleneagles Global Hospitals, Chennai
- Established in 1999, Gleneagles Global Hospital, Chennai, is one of the top healthcare facilities in Southern India. It is part of the Gleneagles Hospital Chain, which is the fourth largest healthcare chain in the country. The hospital specializes in multi-organ transplants of kidneys, liver, lungs, heart, etc.
- The hospital has an excellent infrastructure and state-of-the-art lab and equipment set-up. The hospital boasts cutting-edge technologies, a highly skilled team of doctors and surgeons, and trained support staff. Located in Perumbakam, Chennai, it is one of India’s premier health care destinations. The hospital has performed some of the most complex surgical and clinical procedures in India including multi-organ transplantations.
- The hospital’s lung transplantation program is one of the best in the country. The hospital is known for having performed India’s first single lung transplant and first minimal invasive lung transplant. It is also the only Indian hospital to be associated with King’s College Hospital, London, United Kingdom for liver transplantations.
Fortis Hospital, Mulund, Mumbai
- Fortis Hospital in Mulund is a 315-bed multi-speciality tertiary care hospital with five JCI accreditations that offers a wide variety of diagnostic and therapeutic services. The Fortis Hospital in Mulund delivers patient-centred treatment with cutting-edge technology, highly skilled and experienced surgeons, and paramedical staff.
- This institution houses Maharashtra’s largest multi-organ transplant centre. It is also the first heart transplant centre in western India to conduct 100 or more consecutive heart transplants in under four years. It is the only hospital in the city to have multi-organ transplants and has handled the youngest patient for angioplasty. Fortis Hospital Mulund now boasts the first advanced surgical robot in central Mumbai.
- Cardiology and heart surgery, urology, nephrology, neurosciences, orthopaedics, digestive care, emergency and critical care, and maternity care are among the services provided by the hospital.
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Named after the wife of Indian industrialist Dhirubhai Ambani, the founder of Reliance Industries, this is one of the top hospitals in Mumbai. This 750-bed multi-specialty hospital became operational in 2009. Known as one of India’s most advanced tertiary care facilities, the hospital is designed to raise India’s global standing as a healthcare hub, with an emphasis on excellence in clinical services.
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital uses Protocol and Care Pathway based treatment models to ensure the best outcomes for patients.
- The hospital represents a confluence of top-notch talent, cutting-edge technology, state-of-the-art infrastructure, and, most importantly commitment.
- The hospital also holds the accreditation of the NABH, NABL, CAP, and JCI.
- The hospital has been recognized as the No. 1 Multispecialty Hospital in Mumbai and the West Zone for the fifth year in a row in 2020 by The Week.
Esophagus Cancer is the cancer that occurs in the Esophagus – the long, hollow tube that runs from our throat to the stomach. The esophagus carries the food items from the throat to the stomach for digestion.
Generally, esophagus cancer (also called esophageal cancer) occurs in the cells that line the inside of the esophagus. Esophageal cancer can occur anywhere along the esophagus. It is seen that males are more prone to esophagus cancer than females.
Causes of Esophagus Cancer
The exact cause of esophagus cancer is still not known. The disease happens due to mutations in the DNA of cells which causes the cells to multiply abnormally. The excess cells form a tumor that grows and eventually spreads to other organs (metastates) if not treated.
However, the following are considered to be the risk factors of Esophagus cancer:
- GERD– Gastro-Intestinal Reflux Disease or GERD is a digestive disorder where the acids that help your stomach break down and process the food starts to push up the esophagus. Frequent acid reflux or chronic GERD can result in esophagus damage or cause cancer.
- Poor Lifestyle. Lifestyle choices like poor dietary routine, tobacco and alcohol consumption, choosing fast food over nutritious food, etc can directly or indirectly (chronic indigestion) lead to this condition.
- Barrett’s Esophagus. This is a medical condition that causes precancerous changes in the cell and can be one of the leading causes for esophagus cancer.
Other reasons may include:
Prevention of Esophagus Cancer
Following are some of the recommended steps for reducing risk of esophagus cancer (as well as, other types of cancers):
- Quit smoking
- Drink alcohol in moderation, if you have to.
- Eat more fruits & green vegetables
- Maintain a healthy wait
- Maintain an active lifestyle.
Types of Esophagus Cancer
There are broadly two types of esophagus cancers:
Squamous Cell Carcinoma– This type of cancer develops in the thin, flat cells that form the inner lining of the esophagus. Even though the most common places are the top and the middle, Squamous cell carcinoma can appear anywhere in the esophagus lining.
Adenocarcinoma- The esophagus contains certain glandular cells that are primarily responsible for fluid production in the esophagus. Cancer developing in these cells is medically termed as adenocarcinoma. This type of cancer most often occurs in the lower end of the esophagus (close to the stomach)
Others- While the above two are the most common type, there are other types such as small cell carcinoma, melanoma, lymphoma and more that can be accounted for.
Symptoms of Esophagus Cancer
In Esophageal cancer, early stages usually come with zero or no symptoms. It is not until the cancer progresses to the advanced stage, do the symptoms start showing.
Common symptoms for Esophagus cancer would include:
- Discomfort, difficulty, and pain in swallowing
- Hoarseness in voice
- Severe coughing (chronic)
- Sudden loss of weight (unintentional)
- Frequent indigestion or acid reflux
- Dry throat (and even mouth)
- Chest pain or burning sensation in chest
- Severe tiredness
- Nausea (may be accompanied by vomiting)
Esophagus Cancer Stages
- Stage 1: Cancer is detected in the inner esophagus lining.
- Stage 2: Cancer has spread to the outer layer of the esophagus
- Stage 3: Cancer may have spread deeper into the inner layers or the surrounding tissues and cells around the esophagus
- Stage 4: Cancer is progressive and is spreading to other parts of the body.
Diagnosis of Esophagus Cancer
If the symptoms mentioned above start showing up, your healthcare professional will recommend one or more than one clinical tests to determine or identify the cancerous cells. Diagnostic tests may include:
If you have Esophagus cancer, on diagnosis, the doctor will determine your condition based on the 4 stages of the cancer.
Treatment options for Esophageal Cancer
The treatment method will heavily depend on the cell type, but the most common treatment methods recommended by doctors would be:
Surgical intervention too will depend upon the severity of the condition. While some surgeries may aim to remove the cancerous tumor, other forms of surgery may remove parts of the esophagus or upper portion of the stomach, based on the origin and spread of the cancer. Most surgeries are open procedures, but surgical treatment for esophageal cancer may come with certain complications like internal bleeding or infection.
Chemo is one of the most popular treatment methods for cancer that aims to eliminate the cancerous cells within the body and can stop active cancer cells from spreading further. Chemo is often used alongside radiation therapy but even though it’s effective, this form of treatment may come with some side effects of its own, for instance, hair loss, nause, tiredness, and pain could be some of the side effects of chemotherapy.
Radiation therapy uses high beams of radiation (X-Rays or Protons) to eliminate the cancer cells from the body. This form of treatment can also relieve symptoms. However, radiation therapy too comes with its own side effects which may include pain, swallowing-difficulty, sunburn-like conditions in skin.
What should my long-term expectations be?
Esophagus cancer, in the earlier stages can be cured completely. However, if you’ve already moved to the advanced stage, chances of complete cure can be difficult. However, it can always be treated to keep the symptoms in check. Chances of survival or cure are more if the cancer is not proactively progressive in nature.
Are there any alternate treatment methods?
You can try other natural treatment methods like acupuncture, massage, aromatherapy etc at home to keep the symptoms in check but the primary form of treatment would either include chemotherapy, radiation therapy, both or surgery.
What is the survival rate for esophagus cancer?
If the cancer is diagnosed at the right time, the survival rate would be something around 47-50%. However, if the cancer is progressive in nature, the survival rate drops down to around 25%.