Best Doctors (Oncologists) in India for Cancer Treatment
- Dr. Deepak Sarin is a well-known Head and Neck Onco surgeon with a specialization in oral and throat cancers.
- His interest lies in minimally invasive surgeries for head and neck cancer and is also an expert in Robotic and Laser surgery.
- He holds the credit for establishing the Head and Neck surgery department in Sir Ganga Ram & Artemis Hospital and also started the Head and Neck Surgery unit in Medanta.
- (Prof) Raju Vaishya is a well-known Orthopedic Surgeon in India with expertise in arthroscopic surgery (hip and knee) and joint replacement procedures.
- He has been in the field of joint replacement and arthroscopy for more than 30 years and is highly skilled at the management of chronic arthritis and performing joint replacement surgeries for hip, knee, elbow, shoulder, and finger joints.
- Dr. Raju Vaishya is among the first orthopedic surgeons to introduce shoulder arthroscopy in India and is the best surgeon for knee and hip arthroplasty in the country.
- His interest also lies in cartilage regeneration and restoration along with management and treatment of ligament injuries.
- Currently, Dr. Raju Vaishya is one of the lead orthopedic surgeons in Indraprastha Apollo Hospital and is also a Professor in the department. He is part of a highly efficient team of orthopedic doctors and surgeons in the hospital which makes it one of the best orthopedic centers in India.
- He runs a fellowship training program in orthopedic surgery under Indraprastha Apollo Hospital and has trained over 300 national and international orthopedic surgeons.
- Dr. Vaishya is known to have introduced the personalized knee surgery plan that uses a customized patient-centric approach for arthroplasty.
- Dr. Raju Vaishya regularly attends national and international scientific meetings and gets invited to speak and deliver talks at such conferences and seminars. He has chaired various orthopedic and arthroscopic sessions and delivered presentations.
- He has done a large number of research on the different aspects of Arthroscopy and joint replacement procedures. His work has been published in renowned peer-reviewed journals and holds the credit for over 175 publications in national and international journals and medical textbooks.
- Dr. Raju Vaishya’s name has been featured in the Limca Book of Records four times for his contributions towards orthopedics.
- An esteemed member of numerous medical associations and organizations, Dr. Vaishya is a well known name in orthopedic surgery of the world.
- Dr. Ramesh Sarin is one of the best surgical oncologists in India, with a mammoth experience of 49 years.
- Furthermore, the veteran oncologist focuses on managing breast cancer and related disorders like sentinel node biopsy.
- She is also interested in Phyaryngeal Cancer, Uterine Cancer, Bladder Cancer, Cervical Cancer, Liver Cancer, Fallopian Tube Cancer, Bone Cancer, Lung Cancer, Colon and Rectal Cancer, Lymphedema, and Brain Cancer.
- Dr. Feroz Pasha is one of the best oncology surgeons in Delhi. His primary interest lies in Uro- and Gynaeoncology procedures.
- During his experience in Surgical Oncology, Dr. Pasha specialized in Port insertion and tumor ablation with radiofrequency.
- Dr. Ankur Bahl is a reputed medical oncologist in India.
- With over 16 years of experience, Dr. Bahl is considered for his expertise in treating Multiple Myeloma, Lymphoma, Leukemia, Gastrointestinal tumors, Gynaecological Tumors, Head, Neck, and Brain Tumors.
- Dr. Anant Kumar is one of the finest urology and kidney transplant doctors in India.
- Dr. Kumar specializes in Kidney Transplantation, Robotic Assisted Laparoscopic Urology, Renovascular Hypertension, Laparoscopic Urology, Urological Oncology, Laser Urological Surgery, and Reconstructive Urology.
- He has performed over 3500 kidney transplants and over 2000 lap donor nephrectomy procedures over the span of 3 decades.
- Dr. Usha Kumar is a veteran Gynaecologist and Obstetrician with over 25 years of proficient experience.
- Having performed over 10,000 surgeries so far, Dr. Usha has also managed to establish herself as a top-notch gynecologist in India.
- Dr. Sanjay Sachdeva is one of the most prominent ENT/ Otorhinolaryngologists in India with 30+ years of experience as a medical professional.
- He is currently working as the Senior Director in Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi.
- Dr. Sanjay Sachdeva has received multiple awards and accolades for his incredible achievements in the field of Otorhinolaryngology.
- With 20+ years of experience, Dr. Niranjan Naik is one of the reputable names in the field of oncology and has performed more than 12000 onco-surgical operations so far, including many advanced and complex onco-surgical operations.
- Dr. Naik is generally considered one of the best Breast Cancer surgeons in India. He is also well versed in diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopic procedures.
- One of the finest oncologists in India, Dr. Ruqaya Ahmad Mir has been practicing surgical oncology for the past 20 years and is currently functioning as a Senior Consultant, Oncology at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi.
- Dr. Ruqaya Mir is known for her outstanding performance in some of the advanced surgical techniques which include Uterus and Ovary and Limb Conservation surgery and Cytoreductive surgery and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal chemotherapy for advanced colorectal and recurrent ovarian malignancies.
- She is also a well trained Robotic Surgeon practicing implementation of minimal invasion in surgical oncology.
Best Cancer Hospitals in India
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital is a 700-bedded multispecialty hospital in the heart of the capital of India. It is a part of Apollo Hospital group, one of India’s most reputed healthcare chains. Indraprastha Apollo Hospital has been accredited by Joint Commission International, making it the first internationally accredited hospital in the country in 2005.
- There are 52 specialties in the hospital with one of the best cardiology centers in the country. The hospital is also equipped with State of the art infrastructure facilities with the largest Sleep Lab in Asia and the largest number of ICU bed facilities in India.
- The hospital also has one of the largest dialysis units in India along with a dedicated Bone Marrow Transplant unit.
- The latest and highly advanced technologies that are installed in the hospital include Da Vinci Robotic Surgery System, PET-MR, PET-CT, Cobalt-based HDR Brachytherapy, Brain Lab Navigation System, Tilting MRI, Portable CT scanner, 3 Tesla MRI, 128 Slice CT scanner, DSA Lab, Endosonography, Hyperbaric Chamber and Fibro scan.
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute is a multi-super-specialty, quaternary care hospital with 1000 beds. The hospital comprises reputed clinicians, and international faculty and is also equipped with cutting-edge technology. The hospital is a part of Fortis Healthcare Limited, a reputed chain of private hospitals in India.
- It is a NABH-accredited hospital that is spread across 11 acres of land and has a capacity of 1000 beds. The hospital has 55 specialties and is one of the premier health care centers in the Asia Pacific region popularly known as “the Mecca of Healthcare”.
- The hospital has 260 diagnostic centers and is also equipped with the latest and advanced techniques that include 3 Telsa which is the world’s first Digital MRI technology. The hospital also has world-class Radiation Therapy techniques which have been developed by leading technology experts from Elekta and Brain Lab.
Apollo Hospital, Chennai
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, is one of the best hospitals for heart care in India. Over the years, Apollo has expanded all over India, as a healthcare chain.
- India’s first ‘Only Pancreas’ transplant was performed in Apollo Hospital. The hospital is known for successfully performing Asia’s first en-bloc combined heart and liver transplant, and over the years, it has attained a remarkable achievement in the global healthcare space. Around 3-4 organ transplants are performed in the hospital per day.
- Equipped with over 500 beds, this hospital in Chennai was established in 1983 and since then has been among the most preferred hospital for patients from all over the world.
- The hospital holds accreditation of the NABH and JCI and is the first hospital in India to be ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certified. It is also the first South Indian Hospital to receive subsequent reaccreditation from the JCI USA 4 times.
Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon
- One of India’s best and largest multi-specialty hospitals, Medanta was built with the aim to bring India to the highest standards of medical care. The hospital has been providing the best medical services to its patients, since its inception, with care, commitment, and compassion.
- Equipped with 1250 beds, the hospital was founded by Dr. Naresh Trehan in the year 2009 with an aim to provide the best medical care at affordable costs. The hospital is spread across 43 acres and includes 45 operation theatres and 350 beds dedicated solely to ICU. The hospital includes over 800 doctors, and more than 22 specialty departments and has a dedicated floor for individual specialty in order to offer the best services under one roof.
- The hospital is considered one of the premier institutes in India for Cardiac Care and includes staffs and members of high caliber. The hospital has 6 distinct centers of excellence.
Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- One of the well-regarded providers in India committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence and patient care, Max Super Specialty Hospital is a part of Max Healthcare, which is the second-largest healthcare chain in India. Regarded as one of the most well-regarded healthcare providers in the country, Max Super Specialty Hospital is committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence as well as patient care. The hospital is also equipped with the latest technology as well as cutting-edge research. The hospital is known to deliver and ensure the highest level of patient care.
- The hospital has more than 500 beds and offers treatment for over 35 specialties. The hospital also holds the credit of having installed the first Brain Suite in Asia. This is a highly advanced Neurosurgical machine that allows MRI to be taken while surgery is ongoing.
- Other advanced and latest technologies are also installed in the hospital such as the 1.5 Tesla MRI machine, 64 Slice CT Angiography, 4D ECHO, LINAC, and 3.5T MRI machine.
Artemis Hospital, Gurugram
- One of the most well-known hospitals in the Delhi NCR, Artemis Hospital is the first hospital in Gurugram to get accredited by the Joint Commission International.
- With more than 40 specialties, the hospital has been designed to be one of the most technically advanced hospitals in the country, with the best medical and surgical health care. The hospital has eleven special and dedicated centers, for Heart, Cancer, Neurosciences, etc.
- The latest technologies in the hospital include Endovascular Hybrid Operating Suite and Flat panel Cath Labs for the cardiovascular department, 3 Tesla MRI, 16 slice PET CT, 64 Slice Cardiac CT Scan, HDR Brachytherapy, and highly advanced Image Guided Radiation Therapy techniques (LINAC) are installed in the hospital.
- The hospital has won several awards as well, since its inception.
BLK Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- Equipped with 650 beds, BLK Superspecialty Hospital is the largest stand-alone private sector hospital in Delhi.
- With over 1500 healthcare providers and 150 globally renowned super specialists, the hospital is one of Asia’s largest Bone Marrow Transplant Centres. The hospital is known for having some of the best cancer doctors in the country.
- The hospital is NABH and NABL accredited and was inaugurated by the first Prime Minister of India. Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru.
Gleneagles Global Hospitals, Chennai
- Established in 1999, Gleneagles Global Hospital, Chennai, is one of the top healthcare facilities in Southern India. It is part of the Gleneagles Hospital Chain, which is the fourth largest healthcare chain in the country. The hospital specializes in multi-organ transplants of kidneys, liver, lungs, heart, etc.
- The hospital has an excellent infrastructure and state-of-the-art lab and equipment set-up. The hospital boasts cutting-edge technologies, a highly skilled team of doctors and surgeons, and trained support staff. Located in Perumbakam, Chennai, it is one of India’s premier health care destinations. The hospital has performed some of the most complex surgical and clinical procedures in India including multi-organ transplantations.
- The hospital’s lung transplantation program is one of the best in the country. The hospital is known for having performed India’s first single lung transplant and first minimal invasive lung transplant. It is also the only Indian hospital to be associated with King’s College Hospital, London, United Kingdom for liver transplantations.
Fortis Hospital, Mulund, Mumbai
- Fortis Hospital in Mulund is a 315-bed multi-speciality tertiary care hospital with five JCI accreditations that offers a wide variety of diagnostic and therapeutic services. The Fortis Hospital in Mulund delivers patient-centred treatment with cutting-edge technology, highly skilled and experienced surgeons, and paramedical staff.
- This institution houses Maharashtra’s largest multi-organ transplant centre. It is also the first heart transplant centre in western India to conduct 100 or more consecutive heart transplants in under four years. It is the only hospital in the city to have multi-organ transplants and has handled the youngest patient for angioplasty. Fortis Hospital Mulund now boasts the first advanced surgical robot in central Mumbai.
- Cardiology and heart surgery, urology, nephrology, neurosciences, orthopaedics, digestive care, emergency and critical care, and maternity care are among the services provided by the hospital.
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Named after the wife of Indian industrialist Dhirubhai Ambani, the founder of Reliance Industries, this is one of the top hospitals in Mumbai. This 750-bed multi-specialty hospital became operational in 2009. Known as one of India’s most advanced tertiary care facilities, the hospital is designed to raise India’s global standing as a healthcare hub, with an emphasis on excellence in clinical services.
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital uses Protocol and Care Pathway based treatment models to ensure the best outcomes for patients.
- The hospital represents a confluence of top-notch talent, cutting-edge technology, state-of-the-art infrastructure, and, most importantly commitment.
- The hospital also holds the accreditation of the NABH, NABL, CAP, and JCI.
- The hospital has been recognized as the No. 1 Multispecialty Hospital in Mumbai and the West Zone for the fifth year in a row in 2020 by The Week.
What is Cancer?
Our body is made up of cells which grow, divide and die as they get old or damaged & then are replaced by new cells. Certain genetic changes occur in the body which interferes with this orderly process of the cells & the cells begin to grow uncontrollably. This is known as Cancer.
Mass of cells formed due to abnormal multplication of cells can either be malignant (cancerous) or benign. Some types of cancer may not form a tumour like leukemias.
The term “cancer” comprises of nearly 100 diseases which affect almost every part of the body & are potentially life-threatening.
What causes Cancer?
Cancer is caused by increased damage to the genes or to exposure to a cancer causing substance. The causes or risk factors of Cancer is divided into following group:
Biological or internal factors
Age- It can be considered a risk factor for cancer because the incidence of most cancers increases with age. Almost 9 in 10 cancer cases are in people aged 50 or over.
Gender- Generally, men are more prone to cancer than women.
Genetic defects- Li-Fraumeni syndrome can lead to bone cancers, breast cancers, soft tissue sarcomas, brain cancers; Down’s syndrome can lead to malignancies such as leukaemia and testicular cancer.
Environmental exposure & exposure to radiation
- Exposure to UV radiation from the sun may lead to melanoma & other types of skin cancers.
- Radiation therapy given for the treatment of one type of cancer may lead to another type of cancer like in some cases people who receive chest radiation therapy for lymphomas may later develop breast cancer.
Occupational risk factors
- Tobacco smoking causes cancers of lung, larynx, head, neck, stomach, bladder, kidney, oesophagus and pancreas.
- Some food-related factors, such barbecuing food contains nitrites and poly aromatic hydrocarbons.
Certain Bacteria and viruses
- Human papilloma virus (HPV) can cause cervical cancer.
- Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) can cause Burkitt’s lymphoma.
- H.pylori can cause stomach cancer.
- Hepatitis viruses can cause liver cancer.
Hormonal changes & immune deficiency
- Changes in levels of the female hormone oestrogen can cause uterine cancer.
- Impaired immunity including HIV infection can lead to Kaposi’s sarcoma, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
Fortunately, a wide range of options are available for cancer treatment now. However, which treatment you would need would depend on the type of cancer and the stage of the disease (how much advanced it is). Generally speaking, most cases of cancer require treatment with Surgery (specially when the disease is of early stage), Chemotherapy and/or Radiation Therapy. In addition, more and more oncologists are prescribing advanced cancer interventions like Immunotherapy, Targeted Therapy or Hormone Therapy. Bone Marrow Transplant is also being increasingly used to treat wide range of cancers.