Dr. Sanjay Dhawan
Director & Head – Ophthalmology
Max Healthcare, Gurugram
- One of the best ophthalmologists in Gurgaon, Dr. Dhawan was born in New Delhi. His schooling took place in New Delhi in two schools i.e. Greenfields Public School & St. Xavier’s School. He pursued English literature for a while while waiting to join Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi – one of the premier medical schools in India.
- After being accepted at the College, he completed his my MBBS in 1987 and finished his internship in 1988. Working as Junior Resident in the Departments of Surgery, Internal Medicine and Pediatric Surgery, he discovered his special ability in fine surgical work.
- Eventually Dr. Dhawan joined DO (Ophthalmology) at Guru Nanak Eye Center to explore eye surgery. After completing his DO in 1992, he continued to pursue MS (Ophthalmology) at Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi.
- During this period, he not only honed his surgical skill, but he conducted research on effects of contact lenses on the eye and also teaching the undergraduates and the junior colleagues, and strangely sometimes, even his seniors.
- The hard work bore fruit and he was awarded Delhi University Gold Medal by the Former President of India Shri K R Narayanan, for being the best candidate in MS (Ophthalmology) for the year 1995. He continued to work in the same department as Senior Resident for another three years independently handling all the clinical & surgical work.
- In 1998 he was eventually appointed as Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at Manipal College of Medical Sciences, Nepal and associated Himalaya Eye Hospital, a project of FECH of The Netherlands.
- In the year 2000 he joined Lions Hospital & Research Center, New Delhi where had the opportunity to serve his community to the best of his abilities. He revolutionized the concept of community service by providing high quality eye surgery at low cost to the masses. He was also amongst the first to popularize the technique of SICS for mass application in New Delhi, and he probably was also the first to introduce a modified Topical Anesthesia to perform SICS. The large scale surgical experience helped him refine the surgeries of Phacoemulsification, MICS (Phakonit), Lasik, Supra-Whitnall’s Resection of LPS for Ptosis, etc.
- Encouraged by his surgical results and the need for delivering highly specialized care to the patients, he directed his focus & efforts to Cataract & Refractive Surgery. In 2001 he also joined Max Healthcare and divided his time between hospitals – a time of catering to two diverse segments of society and learning the art of meeting the needs of both.
- At Max Healthcare he continued to world class healthcare in ophthalmology – a philosophy embodied by Max, and also convinced the company to setup a world class eye care facility – Max Eye Care. As part of his commitment to this venture, he withdrew his clinical practice from everywhere to join Max Healthcare full time as Head of Department, Max Healthcare at Max Eye Care, Panchsheel Park, Saket & Gurgaon.
- He is also a member of various national and international professional organizations for ophthalmology. Some of them include Delhi Ophthalmological Society, All India Ophthalmological Society, American Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgery, etc. He is also an expert and advisor in Opthalmology to several media houses and publications.
- Cataract Removal Surgery
- Glaucoma Surgery
- Refractive Surgery
- Refractive Eye Disorders
- Director & Head of the Department – Ophthalmology at Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurgaon
- Medical Director – Vasan Eye Care, New Delhi
- HOD (Ophthalmology) – Max, New Delhi
- Asst. Professor Ophthalmology – Manipal College and Medical Sciences, Nepal
- Senior Eye surgeon in Lion’s Hospital, Delhi
- MS (Ophthalmology), Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi, 1992 -1995
- DO (Ophthalmology), (MAMC), New Delhi,1990 -1992
- M.B.B.S, (MAMC), New Delhi, 1983 -1988
- Professional membership of several societies related to Ophthalmology & Eye Care
- All India Ophthalmological Society
- Delhi Ophthalmology Society
- Haryana Ophthalmology Society
- Indian Medical Association
- Delhi Medical Association
Awards & Recognitions
- University Gold Medal for MS (Ophthalmology), Delhi University (1995) awarded by Shri K R Narayanan, Former Hon.President of India