Profile Snapshot of Dr. Abhaya Kumar
- Dr. Abhaya Kumar is a leading name in the field of Neurosurgery in India and is currently associated with KDAH.
- He is an expert in Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery, Brain surgery, and Stereotactic Radiosurgery and has performed more than 1400 spine surgeries and 1100 brain surgeries in KDAH alone.
- Dr. Abhaya Kumar’s primary focus includes Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery (MISS) and has handled over 800 MISS cases till date in the hospital with 96% successful results.
- Dr. Kumar has an extensive experience of 26+ years as a neuro and spine surgeon and is an integral member of the team of neurosurgeons in Kokilaben Hospital. He is also part of the Stroke Team in the hospital.
- The center for neurosurgery, specifically MISS at KDAH is one of the top centers for all kinds of minimally invasive spine surgeries in India and among the only two in Mumbai. It is also the best center for the treatment of Trigeminal Neuralgia through surgical methods including microvascular decompression, stereotactic surgery, and radiofrequency.
- Dr. Kumar is considered one of the best neurosurgeons in India for MISS and has treated a large number of patients with the technique. He has also written numerous papers and abstracts in his area of excellence.
- Dr. Abhaya Kumar focuses on providing better and advanced techniques for neurosurgery and has been working towards bringing technologically advanced and modern mechanisms in the field of neurosurgery and spine surgery in India.
Dr. Abhaya Kumar’s Expertise
- Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgeries
- Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion
- Brain and spine Minimal Access surgery
- Brain Tumor Surgery
- Cervical Microforaminotomy
- Craniovertebral junction anomalies
- Deep Brain Stimulation for Parkinson’s disease
- Lumbar Micro Decompression
- Lumbar TLIF
- Management and treatment of AVN and Cerebral Aneurysm, Subarachnoid
- hemorrhage, Spinal Dysraphism, and Hydrocephalus
- Management and treatment of Ischemic and Hemorrhagic Stroke
- Minimally Invasive Lumbar Microdiscectomy
- Minimally Invasive Spine surgeries
- Pituitary tumor surgery
- Refractory Trigeminal Neuralgia surgery
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery
- Surgical management and treatment of Epilepsy
- Transforaminal Endoscopic Lumbar Microdiscectomy
- Trigeminal Neuralgia Surgery
Work Experience of Dr. Abhaya Kumar
- Chief Consultant of Neurosurgery and Spine surgery at Kokilaban Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai since 2008
- Consultant of Neurosurgery at Narayana Hrudalaya Hospital, Bengaluru
Dr. Abhaya Kumar’s Qualifications
- MBBS from Kempegowda Institute of Medical Sciences, Bengaluru
- MS in General Surgery from Kempegowda Institute of Medical Sciences, Bengaluru
- DNB in General Surgery from National Board of Examinations, New Delhi
- Fellow (General Surgery) of the Royal College of Surgeons
- Fellow (Neurosurgery) of the Royal College of Surgeons
- Training in Neurosurgery from the Institute of Neurosciences, Glasgow, UK
- Fellowship training in Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery from UK
- Fellowship training in Stereotactic Radiology from UK
Memberships of Dr. Abhaya Kumar
- Neurological Society of India
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- Bombay Neurosciences Association