Profile Snapshot of Dr. Arvinder Singh Soin
- Known to be a pioneer in the field of liver transplantation, Dr. Arvinder Singh Soin leads one of the world’s most successful liver transplant programs at Medanta. Currently, he is the Chairman of the Institute of Liver Transplantation and Regenerative Medicine, at Medanata- The Medicity, Gurgaon, India.
- Quite renowned for having a 95 percent success rate, and having performed over 2500 liver transplants throughout his career, Dr. Arvinder Singh Soin was awarded the Padma Shri by the President of India, for his contributions to the field of Medicine.
- Throughout his career of over 21 years, Dr. Soin has also performed over 12000 other complex liver, gall bladder, and bile duct surgeries. He is also known for his pioneer work in establishing liver transplantation in India.
- Dr. Soin is also responsible for training most of the liver teams across the country. He is a key medical influence in several public health domains in India, most notably organ donation. During COVID-19, he has also been a leading healthcare figure on social media.
Work Experience of Dr. Arvinder Singh Soin
Dr. Arvinder Singh Soin’s Qualifications
- MBBS from All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi in 1985
- MS (thesis) from All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi in 1989
- Primary FRCS from Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 1992
- FRCS (Edinburgh) from Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- FRCS (Glasgow) from Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
- FRCS- General Surgery from Intercollegiate Board in General Surgery
Memberships of Dr. Arvinder Singh Soin
- British Transplantation Society
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
- Asian Society of Organ Transplantation International Society of Liver Transplantation
- Indian Society of Organ Transplantation
- Indian Society of Gastroenterology
- Indian Association of Surgical Gastroenterology
- Indian Society of Nephrology
- Founder Member and Trustee of the Human Organ Procurement and Education (HOPE) Trust
Awards & Recognitions received by Dr. Arvinder Singh Soin
- Padma Shri in 2010 for pioneering the development of Liver Transplantation in India.
- Rameshwar Das Birla National Award for the Best Clinician for the Year 2010
- Zee TV – Swasth Bharat Samman Award for excellence in Medicine – 2010
- Medical Statesman of the Year 2010 – e-MEDINEWS AWARDS, 2010
- Annual research awards of the British Transplantation Society – 1994
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh Research Award – 1996
- Annual research awards of the British Transplantation Society – 1997
- Awarded British Transplantation Society Bursary, 1994
- Delhi Medical Association Distinguished Service Awards – 2005 and 2010 for pioneering contributions in the field of Transplantation in India
- Medindia Oration Award for 2008 for pioneering contributions to Liver Transplantation in India
- Medindia Oration and Medindia Award, 2008
- DMA Distinguished Services Award, 2005
Achievements of Dr. Arvinder Singh Soin
- Dr. Arvinder Singh Soin has pioneered the Living Donor Liver Transplant surgery in India.
- Throughout his career, Dr. Soin has performed over 2500 Living Donor Liver Transplants, which is the highest in India and the second highest in the world.
- Dr. Soin has also set up the biggest Liver Transplant Unit at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, which has trained most of the Liver Transplant Surgeons of India as well as a few neighboring countries.
- Due to his development of a comprehensive Liver Transplant Program in India, he has also received ‘The Padma Shri award from the President of India.
- Throughout his career, he has published over 110 Original research papers in National and International books and journals.