- Dr. Vivek Jawali is a renowned Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgeon in India currently associated with Fortis Hospital, Bangalore
- He is one of the most efficient and highly experienced cardiac surgeons in India specializing in minimally invasive cardiac surgeries among several other procedures.
- He has been performing cardiac surgeries for 30+ years and has performed more than 18,000 cardiothoracic and cardiovascular surgeries.
- He has several firsts to his credit that includes the first beating heart bypass surgery in 1992 and the first Minimally Invasive Heart Bypass surgery in 1994 in India.
- He performed the first Awake Cardiac Surgery in 1999 which is done without general anesthesia or ventilator but under continuous high thoracic epidural. He also performed the first awake open heart surgery of the world without general anesthesia or ventilator on a 74 year old patient for triple bypass with aortic valve replacement.
- Dr. Jawali is highly trained and experienced in all types of cardiothoracic and cardiovascular procedures and surgeries and performs close to 2000 such procedures annually in Fortis Bangalore.
- His expertise lies in both adult and pediatric cardiac diseases and disorders and he finds interest in off pump coronary artery bypass surgery, CABG (Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting), valve replacement surgeries, surgeries for correction of heart defects and Redo cardiac procedures.
- He is the best awake open heart surgeon in the world and has received numerous appreciations and accolades for his contributions in cardiac surgery. He has been associated with Fortis since a long time and has been instrumental in starting the Cardiac department here (formerly known as Wockhardt Hospital).
- He holds memberships of prestigious medical associations and is the founder of the International Society of Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgeons.
- He is regularly invited to attend meetings, conferences and seminars all over the world where he has delivered speeches and presented over 200 papers on the numerous cardiothoracic and vascular procedures and how surgeries can be made easier with minimally invasive techniques.
- He is also actively involved in research and has more than 11 indexed publications to his credit in well known national and international medical journals.
- Minimally Invasive Bypass surgery
- Aortic root replacement surgery
- Mitral valve repair and replacement surgery
- Total Arterial Revascularization
- Off pump coronary artery bypass surgery
- Aortic valvuloplasty
- Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting with total arterial revascularization
- Redo CABGs
- Awake open heart surgery without General Anesthesia or ventilator
- Triple valve replacement
- Left ventricle aneurysm repair
- Chief Consultant of Cardio Thoracic Surgery at Wockhardt Hospitals, Bangalore from 1989 to 2008
- MBBS from M R Medical College, Gulbarga, Karnataka, 1974
- MS in General Surgery from J J M Medical College, Davangre, Karnataka
- MCh in Cardio Thoracic and Vascular Surgery from G S Medical College and King Edward Memorial Hospital, Mumbai
- Fellowship of the International Academy of Cardiovascular Sciences
- Medical Council of India (academic council)
- Indian College of Cardiology, Ex Vice President
- International Society of Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgeons, Founder member
- Indian Association of Cardio Thoracic Surgeons, Editorial board of journal
- Indian Association of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeons, Executive council member
- Cardiology Society of India, Former Hon Secretary
- Bangalore Surgical Society, Former Hon Secretary
- Indian Medical Association, Vice President (Karnataka Chapter) and member of Executive Committee (Bangalore Chapter)
- Journal of Cardiac Anesthesia
- Founder and web administrator of iacts.org
- CTSNet (Cardio Thoracic Surgery Network)
Awards and Recognitions
- B C Roy Award for Medical Excellence
- Lifetime Achievement Award from Harvard University for Medical Excellence in India