Profile Snapshot of Dr. Samuel Mathew
- Dr. Samuel Mathew is famously known as the Father of Angioplasty in India for being the first to introduce the procedure in the country.
- He is a renowned interventional cardiologist and brought in several innovative techniques of angioplasty with coronary Stenting, Carotid Stenting, Percutaneous Bypass, Rotablator Atherectomy, and other such procedures.
- Dr. Mathew holds over 4 decades of experience in interventional cardiology and has performed more than 10,000 angioplasties till date. He also holds the credit for more than 3000 Intra Coronary Stenting and 800 Rotablation cases.
- He is solely responsible to have started the Coronary Angioplasty program in some of the best cardiac hospitals in India and has taught Angioplasty in 12 different countries across 136 Catheterization Laboratories.
- Dr. Mathew has trained a large number of cardiologists in Angioplasty in India, Australia as well as other countries in South East Asia.
- His contribution towards interventional cardiology, mainly towards Angioplasty in India is huge and for his efforts and dedication, he has been conferred with several awards and honors.
- He has been in the teaching faculty of a large number of institutes in India, the USA, and other countries and continues to be invited as a faculty to various medical colleges all over the world.
- Dr. Mathew is a regular invitee as a faculty to annual conferences and meetings of various medical associations where he has delivered talks and presented numerous papers and posters on Angioplasty and his new and improved methods.
Work Experience of Dr. Samuel Mathew
- Presently working as a Chief Consultant of Interventional Cardiology at Lilavati Hospital & Research Centre, Mumbai
- Chief Consultant of Interventional Cardiology at Wockhardt Hospital, Mumbai
- Director of Interventional Cardiology and Cardiac Catheterization Lab at Apollo Hospital, Chennai, Presently
- Founder Chairman of the National Angioplasty Registry of India
- Teaching Faculty for Stent Training Program at St. John’s Medical College and Mallya Hospital, Bangalore
- Consultant of Interventional Cardiology in Mumbai Hospitals – Lilavati Hospital, Breach Candy Hospital, Cumballa Hospital, L H Hiranandani Hospital, and P D Hinduja Hospital
- Guest Faculty and Teaching Faculty for various cardiac catheterization and angioplasty procedures in colleges and hospitals in India, Australia, US, and South East Asia
Dr. Samuel Mathew’s Qualifications
- MBBS from Government College, Kottayam in 1974
- MD in General Medicine from Stanley Medical College, the University of Madras in 1978
- DM in Cardiology from Madras Medical College in 1981
- Doctorate of Science (Honoris Causa) from Dr. M G R University in 2003
- Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology
- Fellow of the American College of Cardiology
- Fellow of the Society of Cardiac Angiography and Interventions
Memberships of Dr. Samuel Mathew
- Cardiological Society of India
- Asia-Pacific Society of Interventional Cardiology, Former President
- Asia-Pacific Society of Cardiology, Former Chairman (Interventional cardiology)
Awards & Recognitions received by Dr. Samuel Mathew
- Received the Lifetime Achievement Award for contributions to Cardiology in 2008
- Honored with the Padma Shri by the President of India in 2000
- Received the Dr. B.C. Roy Award in 1996