- Dr. Samuel Mathew is famously known as the Father of Angioplasty in India for being the first to introduce the procedure in the country.
- He is a renowned interventional cardiologist and brought in several innovative techniques of angioplasty with coronary Stenting, Carotid Stenting, Percutaneous Bypass, Rotablator Atherectomy and other such procedures.
- He holds over 4 decades of experience in interventional cardiology and has performed more than 10,000 angioplasties till date. He also holds credit of more than 3000 Intra Coronary Stenting and 800 Rotablation cases.
- He is solely responsible to have started Coronary Angioplasty program in some of the best cardiac hospitals in India and has taught Angioplasty in 12 different countries across 136 Catheterization Laboratories.
- Dr. Mathew has trained a large number of cardiologists in Angioplasty in India, Australia as well as other countries in South East Asia.
- His contribution towards interventional cardiology, mainly towards Angioplasty in India is huge and for efforts and dedication he has been conferred with several awards and honors.
- He has been in the teaching faculty of a large number of institutes in India, USA and other countries and continues to be invited as a faculty to various medical colleges all over the world.
- He is a regular invitee as a faculty to annual conferences and meetings of various medical associations where he has delivered talks and presented numerous papers and posters on Angioplasty and his new and improved methods.
- Angioplasty Stenting
- Coronary and Peripheral Angioplasty
- Aortic Stent Grafting
- Percutaneous bypass
- Carotid Stenting
- Cardiac Catheterization
- Balloon Valvuloplasty
- Biventricular Pacing
- Pacemaker and heart device implantation
- Chief Consultant of Interventional Cardiology at Wockhardt Hospital, Mumbai, Presently
- Director of Interventional Cardiology and Cardiac Catheterization Lab at Apollo Hospital, Chennai, Presently
- Founder Chairman of the National Angioplasty Registry of India
- Teaching Faculty for Stent Training Program at St. John’s Medical College and Mallya Hospital, Bangalore
- Consultant of Interventional Cardiology in Mumbai Hospitals – Lilavati Hospital, Breach Candy Hospital, Cumballa Hospital, L H Hiranandani Hospital and P D Hinduja Hospital
- Guest Faculty and Teaching Faculty for various cardiac catheterization and angioplasty procedures in colleges and hospitals of India, Australia, US and South East Asia
- MBBS from Government College, Kottayam, 1974
- MD in General Medicine from Stanley Medical College, University of Madras, 1978
- DM in Cardiology from Madras Medical College, 1981
- Doctorate of Science (Honoris Causa) from Dr. M G R University, 2003
- Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology
- Fellow of the American College of Cardiology
- Fellow of the Society of Cardiac Angiography and Interventions
- Cardiological Society of India
- Asia-Pacific Society of Interventional Cardiology, Former President
- Asia-Pacific Society of Cardiology, Former Chairman (Interventional cardiology)
Awards and Recognitions
- Received the Lifetime Achievement Award for contributions in Cardiology in 2008
- Honored with the Padma Shri by the President of India in 2000
- Received the Dr. B.C. Roy Award in 1996