- Dr. Ashok Rajgopal is often considered as the best Orthopedic Surgeon in India
- He was awarded the Padma Shri by the President of India in 2014 for his impeccable service towards Orthopedics in India.
- He is a highly knowledgeable and skilled orthopedic surgeon with more than 25,000 Total Knee Replacement surgeries to his name. He also holds credit of more than 3200 joint replacement surgeries and over 9950 arthroscopic surgeries and 28,000 arthroplasties.
- He holds a unique stint of performing 28 Total Knee Replacement surgeries in less than 12 hours and has achieved several other milestones in his career.
- With an experience of more than 3 decades, Dr. Ashok has revolutionized Orthopedics and Knee replacement procedures in India.
- His primary interest lies in knee replacements and in an expert in Minimally Invasive Total Knee Replacement surgeries and Trabelur Metal Implants. He introduced several new and advanced orthopedic techniques in India.
- He is constantly involved with developing new and advanced techniques for knee surgery and developed the PERSONA KNEE SYSTEM in 2013 in association with Global Persona Developer Team. This system provides a personalized knee replacement system for the patient and is a great advancement in the field of knee replacement surgery.
- Dr. Rajgopal has several firsts in India to his name. This includes the first Bilateral Total Knee Replacement surgery in 1987, the first Minimally Invasive Unicompartmental surgery in 2002, the first Robotic Joint replacement surgery and the first virtual Total Knee Replacement with patient-specific instruments in 2017.
- Prior to joining Fortis, he has worked at various other prestigious Orthopedic Centers in India and has helped in reforming the units in each of those centers.
- His contribution to research is enormous and has several publications to his credit in renowned national and international orthopedic journals. He is editor of the book “Knee Surgery” which was released in 2014 at the American Association of Orthopedics Surgeons meeting.
- Total Knee Replacement Surgery
- Arthroscopic surgery and Arthroplasty
- Bone and Joint replacement surgeries
- Trabecular Metal Implants
- Minimally Invasive Total Knee Replacement surgery
- Robotic Joint replacement surgery
- Total Knee Replacement with patient-specific instruments
- Bilateral Total Knee Replacement surgery
- Minimally Invasive Unicompartmental surgery
- Executive Director and Chairman of Fortis Bone and Joint Institute at Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurgaon and Fortis Escorts, Delhi since 2016
- Chairman of Bone and Joint Institute at Medanta- The Medicity, Gurgaon from 2009 to 2016
- Director of Orthopedics at Fortis Escorts, Delhi from 2004 to 2009
- Senior Consultant of Orthopedics at Sitaram Bhartia Hospital, 1996
- Senior Consultant of Orthopedics at Moolchand Hospital, Delhi
- Orthopedic Surgeon at Sehgal Neurological Research Institute, New Delhi, 1985
- MBBS from Armed Forces Medical College, Pune, 1974
- MS in Orthopedic Surgery from All India Institute of Medical Sciences, 1978
- MCh in Orthopedics from the University of Liverpool, 1983
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, 2010
- Fellowship of the International Medical Sciences Academy
Awards and Recognitions
- Padma Shri in 2014
- B C Roy Award in 2014
- Bharat Shiromani Award for Professional excellence in Orthopedics during 2008-2009
- Distinguished Service Award by the Delhi Doctor Association in 2004
- Knee Ratna Award by the Indian Medical Association…….
- Indian Medical Association
- Indian Arthroplasty Association
- Indian Orthopedic Association
- Indian Association of Sports Medicine
- Past President of Indian Arthroscopy Association
- Founder Member, Vice President and Past President of Indian Hip and Knee Society
- Founder President and Past Secretary of Asia Pacific Arthroplasty Society
- International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopedic Sports Medicine