Best Doctors in India for Bladder Cancer Treatment
Here are the most reputed urologists in India who are expertised in the treatment of Bladder cancer & other types of urological cancers.
- Dr. Anant Kumar is one of the finest urology and kidney transplant doctors in India.
- Dr. Kumar specializes in Kidney Transplantation, Robotic Assisted Laparoscopic Urology, Renovascular Hypertension, Laparoscopic Urology, Urological Oncology, Laser Urological Surgery, and Reconstructive Urology.
- He has performed over 3500 kidney transplants and over 2000 lap donor nephrectomy procedures over the span of 3 decades.
- Dr. Gagan Gautam is considered among the best Uro Oncology surgeons of the country and has performed more than 700 surgeries related to kidney, prostate and urinary bladder cancer.
- He has worked at the leading cancer centers of the world and also trained at some of the best cancer hospitals.
- Dr. Gautam is renowned for using robotic procedures during uro cancer surgeries and is among the very few doctors in India who are highly skilled in Robotic uro surgery.
- Dr. Vipin Arora is a well-known Urologist in Delhi who has been practicing for more than 30 years with success.
- Currently, he is working as a senior consultant for Urology & Andrology at Apollo Hospital, New Delhi.
- Dr. Arora specializes in prostate diseases, Uro-Oncological surgeries, and laparoscopy procedures. He is the frontrunner in Robotically- assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy, Urologic oncology.
- Dr. Arora pioneered the Robotic Prostate Surgery technique in India.
- He also offers CAPD, Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy, Flexible Ureteroscopy, Laser treatment, Polycystic Kidneys treatment, Cadaver and Live Renal Transplant, GU prosthetics, Stress Incontinence surgery TVT TOT, and TURP.
- One of the outstanding doctors in the field of Urology, Dr. Anshuman Agarwal has spent 23+ years perfecting Robotic surgery and Laparoscopic surgery for urological cancer in India.
- He is an expert in minimal access surgery which includes Holmium laser surgery for Prostate (HOLEP) and PCNL, and RIRS for stones.
- Dr. Anshuman Agarwal has been a Senior Consultant in Fortis Hospital, RG Stone Hospital, and Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute and is currently functioning as a Senior consultant Urologist with Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, New Delhi which is a state-of-the-art urology facility.
- Dr. Anshuman Agarwal has performed over 200 robotic surgeries for Prostate Cancer, Kidney, and Bladder and is known as one of the most renowned urologists in New Delhi.
- Dr. Sujit Chowdhary is one of the best Pediatric urologists in Delhi, India.
- He has been practicing for over 25 years and is currently working as a senior consultant for Pediatric Urology & Director of the Apollo Institute of Pediatric Sciences, New Delhi.
- Dr. Sujit Chowdhary also won many awards for his contributions to the field.
- The doctor and his team established a premier robotic pediatric urology program in the Asia-Pacific.
- His unit takes care of newborn surgeries, robotic surgery, minimally invasive surgery, and many other subspecialties of the field.
- Dr. Sujit Chowdhary’s published peer reviews and citations complemented his experiences. He has written about 90 peer reviews and 350 citations.
- Dr. Sanjay Gogoi is a renowned Urologist with over 20 years of experience, He is an expert in minimally invasive transplant techniques of Laparoscopic and Robotic-Assisted Transplantation.
- He is also trained in Robotic surgery at da Vinci Training Center, Intuitive Surgical, California. With over six years of experience in doing Robotic Cancer surgeries on the Kidney, Bladder, Prostate, Adrenal, etc., Dr. Sanjay Gogoi is an expert in Robotic reconstructive procedures of kidneys, ureters, and bladder, as well, as in adults as well as pediatric patients.
- Dr. Rajesh Taneja is one of the best Urologists in India, having experience of more than 27 years in the specialization. He is practicing at Apollo Hospitals, New Delhi as a senior consultant.
- Dr. Taneja specializes in surgeries to correct Congenital anomalies of urinary organs; Phimosis, PUJ Obstruction, Megaureter, Hydronephrosis, Vesicoureteric reflux (VUR), Hypospadias, Posterior Urethral Valves (PUV), Ectopia vesicae, and others.
- He is formally trained in the Robotic Surgical system and is one of the few urologists performing Robotic urological surgeries in India.
- Dr. Taneja has expertise in the Holmium Laser Enucleation of prostate technique.
- He has written numerous papers in national and international scientific publications.
- Dr. Rajesh Taneja also authored a book titled ‘Interstitial Cystitis’.
- Dr. Rajiv Yadav is a reputed urologist in India with great experience in Prostate, Kidney & Urinary bladder disorders.
- His clinical focus is on Robot-assisted Laparoscopic Surgery for Prostate Cancer, Kidney Cancer, and Urinary bladder cancers.
- He completed his training at the most prestigious institutes including AIIMS, Delhi & Weill Cornell Medical & New York-Presbyterian Hospital, USA.
- Dr. Suresh Kuamr Rawat is one of the best Urologists in India, having a grand experience of 42 years in the field.
- His services extend into prostrate laparoscopy, TUIP, TURP, minimally invasive surgery, etc.
- Dr. Suresh Rawat is practicing as a consultant with the Department of Urology at Apollo Hospitals, New Delhi.
- Dr. Rawat specializes in neuromuscular disorders, Andrology, and complex urological surgeries. He is an expert doctor for Endourology, Uro oncology, Reconstructive Urology, Female Urology, and Pediatric Urological treatment.
- Dr. Rajesh Ahlawat is one of India’s top kidney transplant surgeons, who has worked in leading Institutions in North India and has established successful Minimally Invasive Urology programs including Robotic Surgery and Kidney Transplant services with excellent outcomes comparable to the best in the world.
- Throughout his career, Dr. Ahlawat has initiated and established four successful Urology and Renal Transplant programs in India
Best Bladder Cancer Treatment Hospitals India
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital is a 700-bedded multispecialty hospital in the heart of the capital of India. It is a part of Apollo Hospital group, one of India’s most reputed healthcare chains. Indraprastha Apollo Hospital has been accredited by Joint Commission International, making it the first internationally accredited hospital in the country in 2005.
- There are 52 specialties in the hospital with one of the best cardiology centers in the country. The hospital is also equipped with State of the art infrastructure facilities with the largest Sleep Lab in Asia and the largest number of ICU bed facilities in India.
- The hospital also has one of the largest dialysis units in India along with a dedicated Bone Marrow Transplant unit.
- The latest and highly advanced technologies that are installed in the hospital include Da Vinci Robotic Surgery System, PET-MR, PET-CT, Cobalt-based HDR Brachytherapy, Brain Lab Navigation System, Tilting MRI, Portable CT scanner, 3 Tesla MRI, 128 Slice CT scanner, DSA Lab, Endosonography, Hyperbaric Chamber and Fibro scan.
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute is a multi-super-specialty, quaternary care hospital with 1000 beds. The hospital comprises reputed clinicians, and international faculty and is also equipped with cutting-edge technology. The hospital is a part of Fortis Healthcare Limited, a reputed chain of private hospitals in India.
- It is a NABH-accredited hospital that is spread across 11 acres of land and has a capacity of 1000 beds. The hospital has 55 specialties and is one of the premier health care centers in the Asia Pacific region popularly known as “the Mecca of Healthcare”.
- The hospital has 260 diagnostic centers and is also equipped with the latest and advanced techniques that include 3 Telsa which is the world’s first Digital MRI technology. The hospital also has world-class Radiation Therapy techniques which have been developed by leading technology experts from Elekta and Brain Lab.
Apollo Hospital, Chennai
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, is one of the best hospitals for heart care in India. Over the years, Apollo has expanded all over India, as a healthcare chain.
- India’s first ‘Only Pancreas’ transplant was performed in Apollo Hospital. The hospital is known for successfully performing Asia’s first en-bloc combined heart and liver transplant, and over the years, it has attained a remarkable achievement in the global healthcare space. Around 3-4 organ transplants are performed in the hospital per day.
- Equipped with over 500 beds, this hospital in Chennai was established in 1983 and since then has been among the most preferred hospital for patients from all over the world.
- The hospital holds accreditation of the NABH and JCI and is the first hospital in India to be ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certified. It is also the first South Indian Hospital to receive subsequent reaccreditation from the JCI USA 4 times.
Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon
- One of India’s best and largest multi-specialty hospitals, Medanta was built with the aim to bring India to the highest standards of medical care. The hospital has been providing the best medical services to its patients, since its inception, with care, commitment, and compassion.
- Equipped with 1250 beds, the hospital was founded by Dr. Naresh Trehan in the year 2009 with an aim to provide the best medical care at affordable costs. The hospital is spread across 43 acres and includes 45 operation theatres and 350 beds dedicated solely to ICU. The hospital includes over 800 doctors, and more than 22 specialty departments and has a dedicated floor for individual specialty in order to offer the best services under one roof.
- The hospital is considered one of the premier institutes in India for Cardiac Care and includes staffs and members of high caliber. The hospital has 6 distinct centers of excellence.
Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- One of the well-regarded providers in India committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence and patient care, Max Super Specialty Hospital is a part of Max Healthcare, which is the second-largest healthcare chain in India. Regarded as one of the most well-regarded healthcare providers in the country, Max Super Specialty Hospital is committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence as well as patient care. The hospital is also equipped with the latest technology as well as cutting-edge research. The hospital is known to deliver and ensure the highest level of patient care.
- The hospital has more than 500 beds and offers treatment for over 35 specialties. The hospital also holds the credit of having installed the first Brain Suite in Asia. This is a highly advanced Neurosurgical machine that allows MRI to be taken while surgery is ongoing.
- Other advanced and latest technologies are also installed in the hospital such as the 1.5 Tesla MRI machine, 64 Slice CT Angiography, 4D ECHO, LINAC, and 3.5T MRI machine.
Artemis Hospital, Gurugram
- One of the most well-known hospitals in the Delhi NCR, Artemis Hospital is the first hospital in Gurugram to get accredited by the Joint Commission International.
- With more than 40 specialties, the hospital has been designed to be one of the most technically advanced hospitals in the country, with the best medical and surgical health care. The hospital has eleven special and dedicated centers, for Heart, Cancer, Neurosciences, etc.
- The latest technologies in the hospital include Endovascular Hybrid Operating Suite and Flat panel Cath Labs for the cardiovascular department, 3 Tesla MRI, 16 slice PET CT, 64 Slice Cardiac CT Scan, HDR Brachytherapy, and highly advanced Image Guided Radiation Therapy techniques (LINAC) are installed in the hospital.
- The hospital has won several awards as well, since its inception.
BLK Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- Equipped with 650 beds, BLK Superspecialty Hospital is the largest stand-alone private sector hospital in Delhi.
- With over 1500 healthcare providers and 150 globally renowned super specialists, the hospital is one of Asia’s largest Bone Marrow Transplant Centres. The hospital is known for having some of the best cancer doctors in the country.
- The hospital is NABH and NABL accredited and was inaugurated by the first Prime Minister of India. Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru.
Gleneagles Global Hospitals, Chennai
- Established in 1999, Gleneagles Global Hospital, Chennai, is one of the top healthcare facilities in Southern India. It is part of the Gleneagles Hospital Chain, which is the fourth largest healthcare chain in the country. The hospital specializes in multi-organ transplants of kidneys, liver, lungs, heart, etc.
- The hospital has an excellent infrastructure and state-of-the-art lab and equipment set-up. The hospital boasts cutting-edge technologies, a highly skilled team of doctors and surgeons, and trained support staff. Located in Perumbakam, Chennai, it is one of India’s premier health care destinations. The hospital has performed some of the most complex surgical and clinical procedures in India including multi-organ transplantations.
- The hospital’s lung transplantation program is one of the best in the country. The hospital is known for having performed India’s first single lung transplant and first minimal invasive lung transplant. It is also the only Indian hospital to be associated with King’s College Hospital, London, United Kingdom for liver transplantations.
Fortis Hospital, Mulund, Mumbai
- Fortis Hospital in Mulund is a 315-bed multi-speciality tertiary care hospital with five JCI accreditations that offers a wide variety of diagnostic and therapeutic services. The Fortis Hospital in Mulund delivers patient-centred treatment with cutting-edge technology, highly skilled and experienced surgeons, and paramedical staff.
- This institution houses Maharashtra’s largest multi-organ transplant centre. It is also the first heart transplant centre in western India to conduct 100 or more consecutive heart transplants in under four years. It is the only hospital in the city to have multi-organ transplants and has handled the youngest patient for angioplasty. Fortis Hospital Mulund now boasts the first advanced surgical robot in central Mumbai.
- Cardiology and heart surgery, urology, nephrology, neurosciences, orthopaedics, digestive care, emergency and critical care, and maternity care are among the services provided by the hospital.
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Named after the wife of Indian industrialist Dhirubhai Ambani, the founder of Reliance Industries, this is one of the top hospitals in Mumbai. This 750-bed multi-specialty hospital became operational in 2009. Known as one of India’s most advanced tertiary care facilities, the hospital is designed to raise India’s global standing as a healthcare hub, with an emphasis on excellence in clinical services.
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital uses Protocol and Care Pathway based treatment models to ensure the best outcomes for patients.
- The hospital represents a confluence of top-notch talent, cutting-edge technology, state-of-the-art infrastructure, and, most importantly commitment.
- The hospital also holds the accreditation of the NABH, NABL, CAP, and JCI.
- The hospital has been recognized as the No. 1 Multispecialty Hospital in Mumbai and the West Zone for the fifth year in a row in 2020 by The Week.
What is Bladder Cancer?
Cancer occurs when the cells grow abnormally and also invade nearby tissues and eventually spreading to other organs in the body through the bloodstream or the lymph nodes.
Bladder Cancer is the cancer of bladder wherein the cells in the bladder grow abnormally & form a tumour. Bladder is a hollow organ located in the pelvis. The main function of the bladder is it stores the urine & allows urination to be infrequent and controlled.
Causes of Bladder Cancer
- Inflammation of the bladder.
- Having family history of bladder cancer.
- Exposure to harmful chemicals especially working in a job that requires exposure to chemicals
- Intake of certain diabetes medications can raise the risk of bladder cancer.
- Bladder cancer risk increases with age.
Types of Bladder Cancer
- Urothelial Carcinoma: Urothelial carcinoma occurs in the cells that line the inside of the bladder.
- Squamous Cell Carcinoma: Squamous cell carcinoma occurs when there is chronic irritation of the bladder like in the cases where there is long-term use of a urinary catheter.
- Adenocarcinoma: Adenocarcinoma originates in the cells that produces mucus-secreting glands in the bladder.
Signs & symptoms of Bladder Cancer
- Blood in the urine (hematuria).
- Frequent urination
- Burning sensation or pain during urination
- Pain in the pelvic region & lower back.
- Loss of weight
- Swelling in the feet
- Fatigue & weakness
What are the stages of Bladder Cancer
- STAGE 0: Cancer is present in the centre of the bladder.
- STAGE I: Cancer has spread to the inner lining of the bladder.
- STAGE II: The cancer has spread to the connective tissue in the bladder and into the muscle layer of the bladder.
- STAGE III: Cancer is now is present in the fatty tissue that surrounds your bladder & it may also have spread to the prostate, uterus or vagina (for females)
- STAGE IV: The cancer has spread into your pelvic or abdominal wall, to nearby lymph nodes & has spread to distant sites like the bones, liver, or lungs.
Diagnosis of Bladder Cancer
The following diagnostic tests are generally done for Bladder Cancer:
Digital rectal exam
During digital rectal exam, the doctors put on a glove and insert the finger into the rectum to feel a tumour in the bladder.
Urine Culture allows to check for bladder infection.
Urine tumour marker
Urine tumour marker tests allows to check for substances that are released by bladder cancer cells. A thin tube with a flash and video camera at the end is inserted into the bladder. Thereafter, salt water is injected in through it. The camera allows the doctor to see the inner lining of the bladder assisting in better diagnosis.
Transurethral Resection of Bladder Tumour (TURBT)
During Transurethral Resection of Bladder Tumour (TURBT), the doctor removes the tumour & some nearby muscles as well. This sample is sent to the lab to check for cancer.
Intravenous pyelogram (IVP)
During Intravenous pyelogram (IVP), the doctor injects dye into the vein & this highlights tumours in the urinary tract.
During retrograde pyelogram, the doctor inserts a thin tube (catheter) into the urethra and bladder. A dye is injected through the catheter so the doctor can see the lining of the bladder. & if there are any tumours in the urinary tract, they’ll show up here.
Bone Scan is used to check if the cancer that has spread from the bladder to the bones.
Treatment options for Bladder Cancer
Following are the treatment options for Bladder Cancer-
The surgical options for the treatment of Bladder Cancer are:
- Transurethral resection of bladder tumour (TURBT)- In this procedure, a retroscope is inserted into the bladder through the urethra. Retroscope is a tube through which the urine flows & has a wire loop at the end. The doctor uses it to remove abnormal tissues or tumours.
- Cystectomy– It may be partial cystectomy, removal of part of the bladder or radical cystectomy, removal of entire bladder.
Chemotherapy is the use of anti-cancer drug that helps to slow or stop the growth of rapidly dividing cells that cause cancer. It prevents the growth of rapidly dividing cells by killing the dividing cells. Chemotherapy is often used in combination with other interventions such as surgery or radiation and other therapies.
Sometimes, chemotherapy is administered prior to a surgery, like therapy can be used to shrink a tumour before surgery. This is called as Neo-adjuvant Therapy. And when chemotherapy is used to remove any remaining cancer cells, after surgery, this is known as Adjuvant Chemotherapy.
Radiation Therapy is a kind of cancer treatment that uses high doses of radiation beams to kill cancer cells to shrink the tumors. Radiation kills the cancer cells by destroying the DNA. Cancer cells with damaged DNA fail to multiply and die. They are then removed by the body’s mechanism.
Brachytherapy is an internal beam radiation therapy technique where radiation seeds, the size of rice grains are placed in the location of tumor using a needle, guided by ultrasound imaging. The radioactive seeds keep emitting low dose radiation beams to the cancer over a long period of time. At one point, the seeds stop emitting radiation, but do not need to be removed.
Immunotherapy (also called biologic therapy) is a new type of cancer treatment where the body’s immune system is boosted to help the body fight cancer by itself. Immunotherapy uses substances made by the body or in a laboratory to improve or restore immune system function.