Profile Snapshot of Dr. Refai Showkathali
- Dr. Refai is a world-renowned cardiologist who practices at Apollo Hospital in Greams Road, Chennai.
- He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (FRCP, London), the American College of Cardiology (FACC), and the European Society of Cardiology (FESC) (FESC).
- Dr. Refai completed advanced training in the United Kingdom after finishing his medical degrees in India.
- He specializes in Angioplasty (Stent implantation), Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillators (ICDS), Transradial Rotablation, Chronic Total Occlusion Angiography, Pacemaker, Cardiac Invasive Procedures, Bypass Surgery, and other cardiovascular procedures.
- In addition, Dr. Showkathali is a “Professor” at the Apollo Hospital Educational and Research Foundation.
- He was involved in many TAVI-related studies at King’s College Hospital in London, and a heart failure pilot trial at The Essex.
- He has been an invigilator for the MRCP PACES exam, guest faculty in various national and international conferences, and published more than 50 peer-reviewed works in reputed journals.
Dr. Refai Showkathali’s Expertise
- Angioplasty (Stent placement)
- ASD / VSD Device Closure
- Balloon Mitral Valvuloplasty
- Bifurcation angioplasty
- Cardiac Catheterisation
- Cardiac Invasive Procedures
- Chest Pain Treatment
- Chronic Total Occlusion (CTO) Angioplasty
- Coronary Angiogram
- Coronary Angioplasty / Bypass Surgery
- CRT implantation
- Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillators (ICDs)
- Left main stem (LMCA)
- Mitral/Heart Valve Replacement
- Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT)
- Patent Foramen Ovale
- Radial Approach Angiography
- TAVI (Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation)
- Transradial Rotablation
- Treadmill Test – TMT
Work Experience of Dr. Refai Showkathali
- Overall 22 years of experience
- Working as a Senior Consultant – Interventional Cardiologist at Apollo Hospital, Chennai
Dr. Refai Showkathali’s Qualifications
- MBBS from The Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University (TNMGRMU) in 1999
- MRCP (UK) from Royal Colleges of Physicians, London in 2004
- CCT – Cardiology (UK) from General Medical Council in 2012
- Fellowship of The Royal College of Physicians (London) – FRCP
- Fellowship of The American College of Cardiology (FACC)
- Fellowship in TAVI from King’s College Hospital, London
Memberships of Dr. Refai Showkathali
- British Cardiovascular Society (BCS)
- British Cardiovascular Intervention Society (BCIS)
- European Association of Percutaneous Cardiovascular Intervention (EAPCI)
- American Heart Association (AHA)
Awards & Recognitions received by Dr. Refai Showkathali
- Academic Poster of The Year- East Of England Deanery in 2011
- Research Proposal of The Year (Runner-Up) by East Of England Deanery in 2011
Research done by Dr. Refai Showkathali
- Acute hemodynamic alterations following Balloon Aortic Valve Valvuloplasty (BAV) and Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI) at King’s College Hospital in London
- The observational study aimed at establishing the mechanism of observed LV impairment and determining the early hemodynamic alterations after BAV and TAVI.
- A small pilot study of 150 patients to construct a risk score model that could predict mortality and re-admission within 30 days of index admission in heart failure patients
Publications of Dr. Refai Showkathali
- The use of Embolic deflector device in TAVI. Refai Showkathali, R Dworakowski, J Byrne, P MacCarthy, London. IHJ Case reports 2016
- Valve in Valve implantation to prevent prosthetic valve migration in TAVI. R Showkathali, R Dworakowski, P MacCarthy, IHJ 2015
- Incidental findings during TAVI work-up: More than just an inconvenience. Refai Showkathali, Arup Sen, Rafal Dwarakowski, Beth Brickham, Olaf Wendler, Philip MacCarthy. King’s College Hospital, London. Eurointervention 2014 Jun 28. PII: 20130626-03. DOI: 10.4244/EIJY14M06