Profile Snapshot of Dr. Girinath M R
- Padma Bhushan awardee Dr. Girinath M R is a senior cardio-thoracic Surgeon in Chennai having experience of more than 45 years in Cardiac Surgery.
- He practices as a Senior Consultant Cardiothoracic & Vascular Surgeon at Apollo Hospital, Chennai. Both are celebrating 27 years of their bond.
- Dr. M R Girinath was a fellow of Coronary Artery Surgery and Congenital Heart Surgery at the University of Wisconsin, USA.
- He provides consultation and diagnostic services for Mitral/Heart Valve Replacement, Cardiac Pacing, Invasive Cardiology, ABPM, Balloon Mitral Valvuloplasty, CT Angiography, etc.
Work Experience of Dr. Girinath M R
- Total 45+ years of experience
- Head of Cardiac Surgery Unit at Apollo Hospital, Greams Road, Chennai
Dr. M R Girinath’s Qualifications
- MBBS from Madras University, Chennai in 1963
- MS (Gen Surgery) from the AIIMS, New Delhi in 1966
- MCh (Cardio-Thoracic Surgery) from the AIIMS, New Delhi in 1969
Memberships of Dr. Girinath M R
- FRACS (Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons), Melbourne
- FLACS (Fellow of the Indian Association of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery)
- Tamil Nadu Medical Council
Awards & Recognitions received by Dr. Girinath M R
- Padma Bhushan, 1998
- Dr. B C Roy National Award, 1997
- D.Sc. (Honoris Causa), Dr. M G R Medical University, 2002
- LIFETIME Achievement Award by Indian Association CardioVasular Thoracic Surgeons (IACTS) for heading the cardiac surgery unit of Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, 1984.
- First surgeon to obtain the MCh in Cardiovascular Surgery in India, 1969
- Forerunner of pediatric cardiac surgery, multivalve replacement, coronary bypass surgery, and cardiac transplantation
- Lead the way to congenital Heart Surgery and Heart Valve Surgery in India
- Performed nearly 25, 000 open-heart operations in the past two decades
- Trained around 20 surgeons who contribute to 20% of all cardiac procedures performed in India today
- Worked in India’s first multi-organ transplantation (Heart, Kidney, Liver, and Cornea).
- Helped to develop coronary bypass surgery as a standardized and safe method in India
- Established heart and lung machine-assisted Coronary Angioplasty in India
- First surgeon to fix a complex congenital heart abnormality in a child under the age of one year