- Dr. Bhaba Nanda Das is a well known cardio vascular and thoracic surgeon and has performed the first Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG) on a beating heart in India.
- He holds an extensive experience of more than 3 decades and has performed over 20,000 cardiac surgeries and does more than 800 cardiac surgeries annually.
- With a keen interest in cardio vascular and thoracic procedures, Dr. Das is the first cardiac surgeon to use all arterial grafts for multiple coronary revascularization. He was also the first to use coronary sinus in Fontan’s circulation.
- Prior to joining Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, Dr. Das had been an integral part of the department of CTVS at AIIMS. There he performed some of the most complex and first cardiac surgeries which were never attempted by any surgeon in India.
- He is responsible for procuring the donor hearts for the first 3 heart transplant procedures in India and has been part of the team of cardiologists and surgeons of one of the best cardiac care centers of the world.
- He received his trainings in cardio thoracic and vascular surgery under the best surgeons and brought in several innovative cardiac procedures to the country
- He has helped in setting up cardiac centers in different parts of the country and has been associated with several hospitals both in India and foreign countries.
- He is closely associated with research activities and has more than 40 publications to his credit in several national and international journals.
- He has attended numerous conferences, seminars and scientific meetings in various parts of the world where he presented his knowledge on CABG, Heart transplant and aortic aneurysm surgeries.
- Dr. Das is among top cardiac surgeons of India and has received enormous appreciation for his work and contribution in the field of CTVS.
- Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG) on beating heart
- Mitral valve repair and replacement
- Aortic valve repair and replacement
- Heart transplantation surgery
- Double valve replacement
- Aortic Aneurysm surgery
- Intra cardiac repair
- Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- Coronary Angioplasty
- Complex congenital heart surgery
- Pediatric cardiac surgeries
- Treatment for all types of congenital anomalies
- Chief Consultant of Cardio Thoracic and Vascular Surgery at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi since 1994
- Senior Consultant of Cardio Thoracic and Vascular Surgery at Health City Hospital, Guwahati, Presently
- Visiting Consultant of Cardio Thoracic and Vascular Surgery at All India Institute of Medical Sciences from 1984 to 1994
- Worked as a Cardiac surgeon in USA at Lancaster General Hospital, Boston Children Hospital, Mayo Clinic and Texas Heart Institute
- MBBS from Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh
- MS in General Surgery from Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh
- MCh in Cardio Thoracic and Vascular Surgery from All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- Fellowship of the World Health Organization, 1993
- Commonwealth Fellowship, 1994
- Cardiological Society of India
- Cardio Vascular Society of India
- Pediatric Cardiac Society of India
- Indian Medical Association
- Delhi Medical Association
Awards and Recognitions
- Awarded the Vishisht Chikitsa Ratna in 2012
- Received Lifetime Achievement Award from Morland News in 2017
- Started the cardiac surgery center at Satya Sai Institute of Higher Medical Sciences in Andhra Pradesh and Hayat Hospital in Guwahati
- Started the division of Beating Heart Surgery Zainul Haque Sikder Women’s Medical College in Bangladesh