Designation of Dr. Anil Bhan
Dr. Anil Bhan
Cardio Thoracic & Vascular Surgeon
Chairman – Cardiac Surgery, Heart Institute
Medanta- The Medicity, Gurugram, India
Profile Snapshot of Dr. Anil Bhan
- Dr. Anil Bhan is an excellent Cardiovascular and thoracic surgeon in Gurugram specializing in aortic valve surgery and holds the largest experience in aortic surgery in India.
- He has performed more than 15,000 cardiac and vascular surgeries that include heart transplant surgery, aortic aneurysm surgery, pediatric cardiac surgery, valve repairs, and peripheral vascular surgery among several others.
- Dr. Anil Bhan holds an experience of 35+ years in CTVS and has designed and developed more than 50 instruments useful for cardiac procedures and surgeries.
- He is one of the best pediatric cardiac surgeons in Delhi/ NCR and is credited with performing heart bypass surgery on the youngest patient in India in 2007 (18 months).
- He performed the first extracorporeal membrane oxygenation and was the first to use a harmonic scalpel for harvesting radial mammary artery conduits in India in 2000 and 1995 respectively.
- Dr. Anil was part of the team in 1994 that performed the first heart transplant in India and has assisted with transplant surgeries in several hospitals all over the country
- Dr. Bhan has been associated with various cardiac centers across the country and played a pioneering role in starting three cardiac surgical programs at Puttaparthi, Whitefield, and Max Heart and Vascular Institute in 1992, 2001, and 2004 respectively.
- Together with his practice, Dr. Anil Bhan has also been a professor of cardiac surgery at the prestigious All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) where he taught and trained young surgeons on CTVS procedures.
- He is a well-known cardiac surgeon all over the world because of his contributions to CTVS and the invention of new equipment that help surgeons with various cardiac procedures.
Dr. Anil Bhan’s Expertise
- Aortic aneurysm surgery
- Bentall, David, and Ross procedure
- Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG)
- Heart Valve Repair and replacement
- Heart failure surgery
- Heart Transplant surgery
- Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- Pediatric Cardiac Surgery
- Peripheral Vascular Surgery
- Surgery for complex congenital heart defects
Work Experience of Dr. Anil Bhan
- Chairman and Senior Consultant of Cardiac surgery at Heart Institute of Medanta-The Medicity, Gurugram since 2008
- Director and Chief Coordinator of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery at Max Heart and Vascular Institute, Saket from 2004 to 2008
- Professor of Cardiac Surgery at All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi from 1992 to 2004
Dr. Anil Bhan’s Qualifications
- MBBS from Government Medical College, Srinagar in 1981
- MS in General Surgery from Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh in 1984
- MCh in Cardio-Thoracic and Vascular Surgery from All India Institute of Medical Sciences in 1988
Memberships of Dr. Anil Bhan
- Pediatric Cardiac Society of India
- Indian Association of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeons
- Cardiothoracic Surgical Network, USA
- Delhi Chapter of Cardiological Society of India