- Dr. Colonel Akhil Mishra is currently working as Sr. Consultant, Nephrology at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital,New Delhi. He is known for establishing the department of Nephrology and Transplant in Apollo Hospital in 1995. He has more than 35 years of experience in his field.
- Prior to this he was working in the Army Medical Corps for 28 years (1965-1993), where he held the position of Senior Advisor in Medicine and Nephrology. He is also known for conducting the First Kidney Transplant of the Indian Armed Forces at Army Hospital, Delhi in 1991.
- Dr. Mishra took pre mature retirement at the rank of Colonel in the year 1993. Subsequently, he established Department of Nephrology in Escorts Research & Referral Hospital. He had been awarded the Vishishat Seva Medal by the President of India in 1980. He started the first kidney transplant in Army and Apollo Hospital, Delhi.
- Throughout his career, he has been awarded Star Performer Consultant three times, at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, Jan 2013, Sept 2014 & Jan 2015.
- He has also been honored in 2013, by His Holiness the Dalai Lama for his dedicated work in the field of Kidney transplantation. He was also felicitated by the Indian Society of Nephrology (North Zone) with the Life Time achievement Award in Nephrology on 23rd Jan.2015 for his huge contribution to the growth of Nephrology.
- Kidney Transplant
- Percutaneous Nephrolithotripsy
- Renal (Kidney) Surgery
- Ureteroscopy (URS)
- Hemodiafiltration (HDF)
- Transplant Nephrology
- Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) treatment
- Kidney Dialysis
- Laparoscopic Nephrectomy
- Kidney Failure Treatment
- Nephrology ICU
- Kidney Stone Treatment
- Adult Nephrology
- Nephrectomy (Kidney Removal)
- Consultant at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital
- 1965 – 1993 Consultant at the Army Medical Corps
- MBBS – Jabalpur University, 1966
- MD – General Medicine – University of Poona, 1972
- DM – Nephrology – P.G.I.M.E.R., Chandigarh, 1983
- Indian Society of Nephrology (ISN)
- Indian Society of Organ Transplantation (ISOT)
- Indian Society Haemodialysis
- Peritoneal Society of India (P.D.S)
- Delhi Nephrology Society
- Asian Pacific Society of Nephrology (APSN)
- Member Advisory Committee
Awards & Recognitions
- Awarded the Vishisht Seva Medal (VSM) by the President of India in 1980.
- Blessed by His Holiness The Dalai Lama for good work in the field of Kidney transplantation.
- Visited and performed Parikrama of Kailash Mansarovar via Uttrakand in a 28 days trek, under Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi in 2011 at the age of 69 years.
- Performed Parikrama of the holy Narmada River in parts.
- The subject of thesis for M.D. Medicine was ‘Critical Evalution of Peritoneal Dialysis’ which was adjudged the best thesis of November,1972 batch.
- Research experience of 3 years in malaria – Worked on the guidance of W.H.O.
- Organized Nephrology update, Command Hospital, Calcutta, 1984.
- Elected Secretary Nephrology Society of India, Northern Chapter–1991-92.
- Organized Nephrology update Delhi Chapter, 1992.
- Awarded Star Performer Consultant at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital in January, 2014.