Dr. (Prof.) Mohamed Rela
Chairman & Director
Dr. Rela Institute & Medical Centre, Chennai
- Known as a pioneer in liver transplantation with over 28 years of experience, Dr Mohammed Rela is known as one of the best liver transplant surgeons, worldwide. His name has also entered the Guinness Book of Records for performing a liver transplantation of a 5 day old baby.
- Currently he is the Chairman and Director of Dr Rela Institute and Medical Centre, India as well as the Professor of Liver Surgery and Transplantation, at King’s College, Hospital in London.
- He is also well known for starting the ‘Institute of Liver disease and transplantation’ at Global Gleneagles health city in 2009. Within a few years, it became the largest liver transplant program in India. Over 1500 liver transplantation surgeries have been performed under this program, since its inception.
- Since his career of over 30 years, Dr Rela has performed over 4500 liver transplantations worldwide. His vision is to provide the Indian population with healthcare of international standards, which is also affordable at the same time.
- He received his MBBS and his MS from the Stanley Medical College, in Chennai.
- He later went to the UK in 1986, to receive another MS from Edinburgh, after which he became a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in 1988.
- Liver Surgery
- Liver transplantation
- Hepatopancreatobiliary (HPB) surgery
- Bone marrow transplant
- Chairman & Managing Director, Dr. Rela Institute & Medical Centre, Chennai
- Professor of Liver Surgery and Transplantation, Institute of Liver Disease King’s College Hospital NHS Trust, London
- Course Director, Post MCh Fellowship in Liver Transplantation, The Tamil Nadu Dr MGR Medical University
- M.B.B.S – 1982, University of Madras, India
- M.S – 1987, University of Madras, India
- FRCS – 1988, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, United Kingdom
- DSc (Honoris causa) – 2013, The Tamil Nadu Dr MGR Medical University, India
- BMA: British Medical Association
- RSM: Royal Society of Medicine
- AUGIS: Association of Upper GI surgeons of Great Britain
- BTS: British Transplantation Society
- ILTS: International liver transplant society
- APASL: The Asian Pacific Association for the Study of the Liver
- AST: American Society of Transplantation
- ESOT: European Society of Organ Transplantation
- BASL: British Association of Study of the Liver
- IHPBA: International Hepato-Pancreato Biliary Association
Awards & Recognitions
- Panchanna Chaterjee Oration and Gold Medal: Association of Surgeons of India. December, 1996
- Senior Lecturer: King’s College, University of London, 2001
- Recognised Teacher status and PhD Supervisor: University of London, 2001
- Professor of Liver Surgery and Transplantation: King’s College, University of London, 2005
- Scroll of Honour and Medal: Jawaharlal Institute of Post graduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER), Pondicherry, 2009
- Dr Madhanagopal Oration and Medal: Madras Medical College, 2010
- Scroll of Honour: The Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University, 2012
- Prof. Mohamed Rela has over 400 scientific articles and papers on liver transplantation, complex hepatobiliary pancreatic surgery, etc., and has performed over 4000 liver transplant surgeries in his entire career.
- In 1997, his team performed a successful liver transplantation on a five-day-old girl, which earned him an entry into the Guiness Book of World Records in 2000.
- He is also known for pioneering the technique of split liver transplantation. This technique involves one cadaver liver being split into two and transplanted into two individuals.
- As per an article published in ‘Top Master’s’ in Healthcare Administration’, he is also one of the most innovative pediatric surgeons alive.