Dr. (Prof.) Mohamed Rela
Liver Transplant Surgeon
Chairman & Director
Dr. Rela Institute & Medical Centre, Chennai, India
- Dr. (Prof.) Mohamed Rela is known as one of the best liver transplant surgeons in the world. His name has also entered the Guinness Book of Records for performing a liver transplantation of a 5 day old baby.
- With more than 28 years of experience, Dr. Rela is known as a pioneer in liver transplantation & hepatopancreatobiliary (HPB) surgery.
- Dr. Mohamed Rela is the Chairman and Director of Dr Rela Institute and Medical Centre, Chennai, India; and the Professor of Liver Surgery and Transplantation, at King’s College, Hospital in London as well.
- During his career of almost 30 years, Dr Rela has performed over 4500 liver transplantations worldwide.
- Dr. Mohamed Rela has a vision to provide premium and affordable healthcare facilities of international standards to Indian population for multi-organ transplantations.
- He is also well known for starting the ‘Institute of Liver disease and transplantation’ at Global Gleneagles health city in 2009. Within a few years, it became the largest liver transplant program in India. Over 1500 liver transplantation surgeries have been performed under this program, since its inception.
- He received his MBBS and his MS from the Stanley Medical College, in Chennai.
- He later went to the UK in 1986, to receive another MS from Edinburgh, after which he became a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in 1988.
- Liver Surgery
- Liver transplantation
- Hepatopancreatobiliary (HPB) surgery
- Bone marrow transplant
- Chairman & Managing Director, Dr. Rela Institute & Medical Centre, Chennai
- Professor of Liver Surgery and Transplantation, Institute of Liver Disease King’s College Hospital NHS Trust, London
- Course Director, Post MCh Fellowship in Liver Transplantation, The Tamil Nadu Dr MGR Medical University
- M.B.B.S – 1982, University of Madras, India
- M.S – 1987, University of Madras, India
- FRCS – 1988, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, United Kingdom
- DSc (Honoris causa) – 2013, The Tamil Nadu Dr MGR Medical University, India
- BMA: British Medical Association
- RSM: Royal Society of Medicine
- AUGIS: Association of Upper GI surgeons of Great Britain
- BTS: British Transplantation Society
- ILTS: International liver transplant society
- APASL: The Asian Pacific Association for the Study of the Liver
- AST: American Society of Transplantation
- ESOT: European Society of Organ Transplantation
- BASL: British Association of Study of the Liver
- IHPBA: International Hepato-Pancreato Biliary Association
Awards & Recognitions
- Panchanna Chaterjee Oration and Gold Medal: Association of Surgeons of India. December, 1996
- Senior Lecturer: King’s College, University of London, 2001
- Recognised Teacher status and PhD Supervisor: University of London, 2001
- Professor of Liver Surgery and Transplantation: King’s College, University of London, 2005
- Scroll of Honour and Medal: Jawaharlal Institute of Post graduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER), Pondicherry, 2009
- Dr Madhanagopal Oration and Medal: Madras Medical College, 2010
- Scroll of Honour: The Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University, 2012
- Dr. Mohamed Rela has performed more than 4500 liver transplant surgeries so far.
- A team led by Dr. Rela performed successful liver transplantation on a five-day-old girl In December 1997, which gave him an entry into the Guinness Book of World Records in 2000. She is now a 24-year-old.
- He performed the first living related liver transplant in a patient (18 months old) with acute liver failure in the UK, had only 48 hours to live before surgery, during March 1999.
- He successfully performed liver transplantation on a girl from Ahmedabad (4 year-old), who has end-stage liver disease, during June 2003.
- At King’s College London Hospital, where he was member of a team that transplanted a patient’s liver six times to save her life with a bone marrow transplant, during August 2003.
- A group under his leadership successfully performed liver transplantation on a 5-year-old Pakistani girl at the Global Hospital in Hyderabad, during August 2004.
- He has pioneered the technique of split liver transplantation in India, where one cadaver liver is split during the retrieval operation into two and transplanted into two individuals, during September 2009.
- A group under his leadership has successfully done Swap liver transplantation on Adults for the first time in India, at Chennai, during May 2011.
- He is the only liver surgeon in India, who has published more than 600 Scientific articles and papers.
- Dr. Rela is one of the most Innovative Paediatric Surgeons alive, according to an article published by ‘Top Masters in Healthcare Administration’.
- Prof. Mohamed Rela has over 600 scientific articles and papers on liver transplantation, complex hepatobiliary pancreatic surgery, etc.