Profile Snapshot of Dr. Mohamed Rela
- Dr. (Prof.) Mohamed Rela is known as one of the best liver transplant surgeons in the world. His name has also entered the Guinness Book of Records for performing liver transplantation of a 5-day-old baby.
- With more than 30 years of experience, Dr. Rela is known as a pioneer in liver transplantation & hepatopancreatobiliary (HPB) surgery.
- Dr. Mohamed Rela is the Chairman and Director of Dr. Rela Institute and Medical Centre, Chennai, India; and the Professor of Liver Surgery and Transplantation, at King’s College, Hospital in London as well.
- During his career of almost 30 years, Dr. Rela has performed over 4500 liver transplantations worldwide.
- Dr. Mohamed Rela has the vision to provide premium and affordable healthcare facilities of international standards to the Indian population for multi-organ transplantations.
- He is also well known for starting the ‘Institute of Liver disease and transplantation’ at Global Gleneagles health city in 2009. Within a few years, it became the largest liver transplant program in India. Over 1500 liver transplantation surgeries have been performed under this program, since its inception.
- He received his MBBS and his MS from the Stanley Medical College, in Chennai. He later went to UK in 1986, to receive another MS from Edinburgh, after which he became a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in 1988.
Work Experience of Dr. Mohamed Rela
- Chairman & Managing Director of Dr. Rela Institute & Medical Centre, Chennai
- Professor of Liver Surgery and Transplantation at Institute of Liver Disease King’s College Hospital NHS Trust, London
- Course Director, Post MCh Fellowship in Liver Transplantation at The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University
Dr. Mohamed Rela’s Qualifications
- MBBS from University of Madras, India in 1982
- Ms from University of Madras, India in 1987
- FRCS from Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, United Kingdom in 1988
- DSc (Honoris causa) from The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University, India in 2013
Memberships of Dr. Mohamed Rela
- BMA: British Medical Association
- RSM: Royal Society of Medicine
- AUGIS: Association of Upper GI Surgeons of Great Britain
- BTS: British Transplantation Society
- ILTS: International liver transplant society
- APASL: The Asian Pacific Association for the Study of the Liver
- AST: American Society of Transplantation
- ESOT: European Society of Organ Transplantation
- BASL: British Association of Study of the Liver
- IHPBA: International Hepato-Pancreato Biliary Association
Awards & Recognitions received by Dr. Mohamed Rela
- Panchanna Chaterjee Oration and Gold Medal: Association of Surgeons of India in December 1996
- Senior Lecturer: King’s College, University of London in 2001
- Recognized Teacher status and Ph.D. Supervisor: University of London in 2001
- Professor of Liver Surgery and Transplantation: King’s College, University of London in 2005
- Scroll of Honour and Medal: Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER), Pondicherry in 2009
- Dr. Madhanagopal Oration and Medal: Madras Medical College in 2010
- Scroll of Honour: The Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University in 2012
Achievements of Dr. Mohamed Rela
- Dr. Mohamed Rela has performed more than 4500 liver transplant surgeries so far.
- A team led by Dr. Rela performed successful liver transplantation on a five-day-old girl In December 1997, which gave him an entry into the Guinness Book of World Records in 2000. She is now a 24-year-old.
- Dr. Mohamed Rela performed the first living-related liver transplant on a patient (18 months old) with acute liver failure in the UK, who had only 48 hours to live before surgery, in March 1999.
- He successfully performed liver transplantation on a girl from Ahmedabad (4 years old), who has end-stage liver disease, in June 2003.
- At King’s College London Hospital, where Dr. Mohamed Rela was a member of a team that transplanted a patient’s liver six times to save her life with a bone marrow transplant, in August 2003.
- A group under his leadership successfully performed liver transplantation on a 5-year-old Pakistani girl at the Global Hospital in Hyderabad, in August 2004.
- Dr. Mohamed Rela pioneered the technique of split liver transplantation in India, where one cadaver liver is split during the retrieval operation into two and transplanted into two individuals in September 2009.
- A group under his leadership has successfully done Swap liver transplantation on Adults for the first time in Chennai, India in May 2011.
- He is the only liver surgeon in India, who has published more than 600 Scientific articles and papers.
- Dr. Rela is one of the most Innovative Paediatric Surgeons alive, according to an article published by ‘Top Masters in Healthcare Administration.
Publications of Dr. Mohamed Rela
- Prof. Mohamed Rela has over 600 scientific articles and papers on liver transplantation, complex hepatobiliary pancreatic surgery, etc.