- Dr. Z.S. Meharwal is a well known cardiac surgeon in India with over 25 of experience.
- He has performed more than 20,000 cardiac surgeries in his career that included some of the most complex and high risk cardiac procedures.
- He is a member of the founding team that started the Fortis Escorts Heart Institute and has been associated with the hospital since then.
- His interest lies in Minimally Invasive Cardiac procedures, valve repair and replacement, heart transplant among other major vascular and thoracic surgeries.
- Together with his clinical practice, Dr. Meharwal also teaches and trains under graduate and post graduate students. He is the Program Director of DNB (Cardiothoracic surgery) at the hospital.
- He is regularly invited as a faculty in various national and international conferences, meetings and seminars where he delivers lectures and presentations.
- He is involved in research as well and has more than 40 publications to his credit in renowned national and international medical journals.
- Dr. Meharwal has been actively associated with social work since a long time and works towards providing the best and affordable cardiac surgery to the needy.
- He organizes workshops and medical camps in various parts of the country in order to provide free treatment as well as spread awareness on cardiac care. For his contributions in cardiac surgery in India, he was honored with the President Award.
- Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- Beating Heart Surgery
- Heart Bypass Surgery
- Double Valve Replacement surgery
- Heart Valve Repair and Replacement
- Aortic Aneurysm Surgery
- ASD closure
- Major Vascular surgery
- Surgery for heart failure
- Heart transplantation
- Carotid endarterectomy
- Off-pump coronary artery bypass surgery
- CABG in patients with poor ventricular function
- VAD installation
- Consultant of Cardiac Surgery at King College Hospital, London from 1993 to 1997
- Consultant of Cardiothoracic Surgery at G B Pant Hospital, Delhi from 1988 to 1989
- Consultant of Cardiothoracic Surgery at King George Medical College, Lucknow from 1982 to 1988
- MBBS from King George Medical College, Lucknow
- MS in General Surgery from King George Medical College, Lucknow
- MCh in Cardiothoracic Surgery from King George Medical College, Lucknow
- National Academy of Medical Sciences (MNAMS)
- Cardiological Society of India
- Indian Association of Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgeons
- Asian Society of Cardiovascular-Thoracic Surgeons
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
Awards and Recognitions
- Honored with Saharanpur Aditya Samman in 2005
- Listed in the Limca Book of Records in 2005 for performing CABG on the oldest patient (94 years)
- Listed in 2005 edition of “Marquis Who is Who in the world”
- Received Citation Award from Lt. A P J Abdul Kalam ( Former President of India) in 2002