Designation of Dr. Z S Meharwal
Dr. Z S Meharwal
Director and Coordinator – Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery
Fortis Escorts Heart Institute, New Delhi, India
Profile Snapshot of Dr. Z S Meharwal
- Dr. Z S Meharwal is a well-known cardiac surgeon in India with over 25 of experience.
- He has performed more than 20,000 cardiac surgeries in his career that including some of the most complex and high-risk cardiac procedures.
- Dr. Meharwal is a member of the founding team that started the Fortis Escorts Heart Institute and has been associated with the hospital since then.
- His interest lies in Minimally Invasive Cardiac procedures, valve repair, and replacement, and heart transplants among other major vascular and thoracic surgeries.
- Together with his clinical practice, Dr. Meharwal also teaches and trains undergraduate and postgraduate students. He is the Program Director of DNB (Cardiothoracic surgery) at the hospital.
- He is regularly invited as a faculty in various national and international conferences, meetings, and seminars where he delivers lectures and presentations.
- He is involved in research as well and has more than 40 publications to his credit in renowned national and international medical journals.
- Dr. Meharwal has been actively associated with social work for a long time and works towards providing the best and most affordable cardiac surgery to the needy.
- He organizes workshops and medical camps in various parts of the country in order to provide free treatment as well as spread awareness of cardiac care. For Dr. Z S Meharwal’s contributions to cardiac surgery in India, he was honored with the President Award.
Dr. Z S Meharwal’s Expertise
- Aortic Aneurysm Surgery
- ASD closure
- Beating Heart Surgery
- CABG in patients with poor ventricular function
- Carotid endarterectomy
- Double Valve Replacement surgery
- Heart Bypass Surgery
- Heart transplantation
- Heart Valve Repair and Replacement
- Major Vascular surgery
- Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- Off-pump coronary artery bypass surgery
- Surgery for heart failure
- VAD installation
Work Experience of Dr. Z S Meharwal
- Consultant of Cardiac Surgery at King College Hospital, London from 1993 to 1997
- Consultant of Cardiothoracic Surgery at G B Pant Hospital, Delhi from 1988 to 1989
- Consultant of Cardiothoracic Surgery at King George Medical College, Lucknow from 1982 to 1988
Dr. Z S Meharwal’s Qualifications
- MBBS from King George Medical College, Lucknow
- MS in General Surgery from King George Medical College, Lucknow
- MCh in Cardiothoracic Surgery from King George Medical College, Lucknow
- National Academy of Medical Sciences (MNAMS)
Memberships of Dr. Z S Meharwal
- Cardiological Society of India
- Indian Association of Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgeons
- Asian Society of Cardiovascular-Thoracic Surgeons
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
Awards & Recognitions received by Dr. Z S Meharwal
- Honored with Saharanpur Aditya Samman in 2005
- Listed in the Limca Book of Records in 2005 for performing CABG on the oldest patient (94 years)
- Listed in 2005 edition of “Marquis Who is Who in the world”
- Received Citation Award from Lt. A P J Abdul Kalam ( Former President of India) in 2002