Best TAVI / TAVR procedure doctors in India
- Dr. Praveen Chandra is one of the most well-known and respected Interventional Cardiologists in India and performs over 5000 percutaneous and diagnostic interventions every year.
- He specializes in devising techniques that help minimize open surgeries. Dr. Praveen Chandra performed the first Percutaneous Aortic Valve implantation without surgery in India.
- He also developed techniques to reduce the number of patients requiring bypass surgeries and has been trying to make angioplasty techniques more accurate to help with the treatment of multiple blocked arteries.
- Dr. T S Kler is undoubtedly one of the best vascular surgeons not only in India but also abroad. He has performed more than 25,000 Surgeries in his life which makes him stand where he is.
- He is a pioneer in electrophysiology & he established the first dedicated Electrophysiology department in India at Fortis Escorts Heart Institute.
- Dr. T S Kler initiated a radio Frequency Ablations programme at Escorts in 1993, one of the first of its kind in India. He was the first doctor in India to implant an ICD, CRT-P & CRT-D.
- Dr. Subhas Chandra is a leading Interventional Cardiologist who holds close to 20 years of experience and specializes in coronary interventions, endovascular interventions, device implantation, and structural heart diseases.
- He has performed more than 25,000 coronary interventions (complex angioplasty and rotablation), 4000+ for structural heart diseases, and has done more than 3000 permanent pacemaker implants.
- Dr. Balbir Singh is a reputed cardiologist with over 32 years of experience, considered a veteran in his field, both nationally and internationally.
- He has also pioneered several minimally invasive cardiology surgical techniques in India and has been honored with the prestigious Padma Shree Award for his exceptional performance.
- “LIMCA” Book of Records also highlighted Dr. Balbir Singh’s contribution to the medical field in the Indian Electrophysiology Journal.
- Dr. Ashok Seth is one of the most well-known Interventional Cardiologists in India honored with both the Padma Shri and Padma Bhushan by the Government of India.
- He has more than 3 decades of experience in interventional cardiology and has performed over 20, 000 angioplasties and 50,000 angiograms till date.
- Dr. Seth holds a Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland, London, and Edinburgh along with several other degrees to his name.
- Dr. Praveer Aggarwal is a nationally acclaimed and highly professional Interventional Cardiologist.
- His specialization lies in the treatment of blockages of the coronary and peripheral arteries and is an expert in Rotational and Directional atherectomy, intravascular ultrasound, pressure wire, and the use of Drug Eluting Stents.
- Along with his team at Fortis Escorts Heart Institute, Dr. Aggarwal performs close to 2000 angiographies and over 2000 coronary interventions including coronary angioplasties every year.
- Dr. Manjinder Sandhu is a leading interventional cardiologist based in Gurugram who holds an extensive experience of over 27 years in the field.
- His primary interest lies in Complex Coronary Interventions, Trans-radial Interventions, and Balloon Valvuloplasty, and has performed a large number of such procedures in his career mainly while serving in the Army Medical Corps.
- Dr. Sandhu has been teaching and training postgraduate students in Cardiology and Medicine and has been a guide to several successful cardiologists in India.
- Dr. Y Vijayachandra Reddy is an interventional cardiologist with 25+ years of experience.
- Dr. Reddy’s work experience includes more than 7000 PCIs, 30000 invasive procedures, 550 PCIs in cardiogenic shock, 700 Cardiac devices, 400 PTMCs, and several EVAR and TEVAR procedures.
- His expertise lies in pacemaker implantations, pediatric interventions, ICDs, CRTs, endovascular repairs, and more.
- Dr. Mahesh Chandra Garg is an Interventional cardiologist working at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital in New Delhi with experience of over five decades in the field. He has an interest in Cardiovascular Intervention and Imaging.
- Dr. Garg has specialized in Enhanced External Counterpulsation, Chest Pain Therapies, Diabetic Cardiovascular complexities, and Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery.
- He achieved excellence in invasive cardiology as a result of his participation in specialized training programs and conferences. Dr. Garg provides valuable care for his patients while also encouraging them to adopt a healthy lifestyle.
- He delivered presentations at numerous conferences and published papers in well-known national and international medical journals.
- Dr. Amit Mittal is a cardiologist working at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital in New Delhi with experience of over 23 years in Interventional Cardiology.
- He is good to consult for Angiogram, Angioplasty, and Bypass Surgery. Dr. Mittal has performed over 15,000 cardiac procedures till now. He offers services like EPS and RFA procedures, pacemaker implantation, ECG, complex surgery of heart valve replacement, and angina treatment, to name a few.
- Apart from that, Dr. Mittal won a Gold medal in MBBS 1st y and for the highest marks in obstetrics and gynecology. He published many papers in national and international medical journals and chapters in textbooks.
Best Hospitals for TAVI/TAVR in India
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital is a 700-bedded multispecialty hospital in the heart of the capital of India. It is a part of Apollo Hospital group, one of India’s most reputed healthcare chains. Indraprastha Apollo Hospital has been accredited by Joint Commission International, making it the first internationally accredited hospital in the country in 2005.
- There are 52 specialties in the hospital with one of the best cardiology centers in the country. The hospital is also equipped with State of the art infrastructure facilities with the largest Sleep Lab in Asia and the largest number of ICU bed facilities in India.
- The hospital also has one of the largest dialysis units in India along with a dedicated Bone Marrow Transplant unit.
- The latest and highly advanced technologies that are installed in the hospital include Da Vinci Robotic Surgery System, PET-MR, PET-CT, Cobalt-based HDR Brachytherapy, Brain Lab Navigation System, Tilting MRI, Portable CT scanner, 3 Tesla MRI, 128 Slice CT scanner, DSA Lab, Endosonography, Hyperbaric Chamber and Fibro scan.
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute is a multi-super-specialty, quaternary care hospital with 1000 beds. The hospital comprises reputed clinicians, and international faculty and is also equipped with cutting-edge technology. The hospital is a part of Fortis Healthcare Limited, a reputed chain of private hospitals in India.
- It is a NABH-accredited hospital that is spread across 11 acres of land and has a capacity of 1000 beds. The hospital has 55 specialties and is one of the premier health care centers in the Asia Pacific region popularly known as “the Mecca of Healthcare”.
- The hospital has 260 diagnostic centers and is also equipped with the latest and advanced techniques that include 3 Telsa which is the world’s first Digital MRI technology. The hospital also has world-class Radiation Therapy techniques which have been developed by leading technology experts from Elekta and Brain Lab.
Apollo Hospital, Chennai
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, is one of the best hospitals for heart care in India. Over the years, Apollo has expanded all over India, as a healthcare chain.
- India’s first ‘Only Pancreas’ transplant was performed in Apollo Hospital. The hospital is known for successfully performing Asia’s first en-bloc combined heart and liver transplant, and over the years, it has attained a remarkable achievement in the global healthcare space. Around 3-4 organ transplants are performed in the hospital per day.
- Equipped with over 500 beds, this hospital in Chennai was established in 1983 and since then has been among the most preferred hospital for patients from all over the world.
- The hospital holds accreditation of the NABH and JCI and is the first hospital in India to be ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certified. It is also the first South Indian Hospital to receive subsequent reaccreditation from the JCI USA 4 times.
Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon
- One of India’s best and largest multi-specialty hospitals, Medanta was built with the aim to bring India to the highest standards of medical care. The hospital has been providing the best medical services to its patients, since its inception, with care, commitment, and compassion.
- Equipped with 1250 beds, the hospital was founded by Dr. Naresh Trehan in the year 2009 with an aim to provide the best medical care at affordable costs. The hospital is spread across 43 acres and includes 45 operation theatres and 350 beds dedicated solely to ICU. The hospital includes over 800 doctors, and more than 22 specialty departments and has a dedicated floor for individual specialty in order to offer the best services under one roof.
- The hospital is considered one of the premier institutes in India for Cardiac Care and includes staffs and members of high caliber. The hospital has 6 distinct centers of excellence.
Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- One of the well-regarded providers in India committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence and patient care, Max Super Specialty Hospital is a part of Max Healthcare, which is the second-largest healthcare chain in India. Regarded as one of the most well-regarded healthcare providers in the country, Max Super Specialty Hospital is committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence as well as patient care. The hospital is also equipped with the latest technology as well as cutting-edge research. The hospital is known to deliver and ensure the highest level of patient care.
- The hospital has more than 500 beds and offers treatment for over 35 specialties. The hospital also holds the credit of having installed the first Brain Suite in Asia. This is a highly advanced Neurosurgical machine that allows MRI to be taken while surgery is ongoing.
- Other advanced and latest technologies are also installed in the hospital such as the 1.5 Tesla MRI machine, 64 Slice CT Angiography, 4D ECHO, LINAC, and 3.5T MRI machine.
Artemis Hospital, Gurugram
- One of the most well-known hospitals in the Delhi NCR, Artemis Hospital is the first hospital in Gurugram to get accredited by the Joint Commission International.
- With more than 40 specialties, the hospital has been designed to be one of the most technically advanced hospitals in the country, with the best medical and surgical health care. The hospital has eleven special and dedicated centers, for Heart, Cancer, Neurosciences, etc.
- The latest technologies in the hospital include Endovascular Hybrid Operating Suite and Flat panel Cath Labs for the cardiovascular department, 3 Tesla MRI, 16 slice PET CT, 64 Slice Cardiac CT Scan, HDR Brachytherapy, and highly advanced Image Guided Radiation Therapy techniques (LINAC) are installed in the hospital.
- The hospital has won several awards as well, since its inception.
BLK Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- Equipped with 650 beds, BLK Superspecialty Hospital is the largest stand-alone private sector hospital in Delhi.
- With over 1500 healthcare providers and 150 globally renowned super specialists, the hospital is one of Asia’s largest Bone Marrow Transplant Centres. The hospital is known for having some of the best cancer doctors in the country.
- The hospital is NABH and NABL accredited and was inaugurated by the first Prime Minister of India. Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru.
Gleneagles Global Hospitals, Chennai
- Established in 1999, Gleneagles Global Hospital, Chennai, is one of the top healthcare facilities in Southern India. It is part of the Gleneagles Hospital Chain, which is the fourth largest healthcare chain in the country. The hospital specializes in multi-organ transplants of kidneys, liver, lungs, heart, etc.
- The hospital has an excellent infrastructure and state-of-the-art lab and equipment set-up. The hospital boasts cutting-edge technologies, a highly skilled team of doctors and surgeons, and trained support staff. Located in Perumbakam, Chennai, it is one of India’s premier health care destinations. The hospital has performed some of the most complex surgical and clinical procedures in India including multi-organ transplantations.
- The hospital’s lung transplantation program is one of the best in the country. The hospital is known for having performed India’s first single lung transplant and first minimal invasive lung transplant. It is also the only Indian hospital to be associated with King’s College Hospital, London, United Kingdom for liver transplantations.
Fortis Hospital, Mulund, Mumbai
- Fortis Hospital in Mulund is a 315-bed multi-speciality tertiary care hospital with five JCI accreditations that offers a wide variety of diagnostic and therapeutic services. The Fortis Hospital in Mulund delivers patient-centred treatment with cutting-edge technology, highly skilled and experienced surgeons, and paramedical staff.
- This institution houses Maharashtra’s largest multi-organ transplant centre. It is also the first heart transplant centre in western India to conduct 100 or more consecutive heart transplants in under four years. It is the only hospital in the city to have multi-organ transplants and has handled the youngest patient for angioplasty. Fortis Hospital Mulund now boasts the first advanced surgical robot in central Mumbai.
- Cardiology and heart surgery, urology, nephrology, neurosciences, orthopaedics, digestive care, emergency and critical care, and maternity care are among the services provided by the hospital.
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Named after the wife of Indian industrialist Dhirubhai Ambani, the founder of Reliance Industries, this is one of the top hospitals in Mumbai. This 750-bed multi-specialty hospital became operational in 2009. Known as one of India’s most advanced tertiary care facilities, the hospital is designed to raise India’s global standing as a healthcare hub, with an emphasis on excellence in clinical services.
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital uses Protocol and Care Pathway based treatment models to ensure the best outcomes for patients.
- The hospital represents a confluence of top-notch talent, cutting-edge technology, state-of-the-art infrastructure, and, most importantly commitment.
- The hospital also holds the accreditation of the NABH, NABL, CAP, and JCI.
- The hospital has been recognized as the No. 1 Multispecialty Hospital in Mumbai and the West Zone for the fifth year in a row in 2020 by The Week.
Transcatheter aortic valve implantation/replacement (TAVI/ TAVR) is one of the magnificent developments in medical science in recent times. With TAVR procedure, patients having aortic stenosis are able to get the valve replaced without having to undergo a open-heart surgery as was the case before.
In TAVR, a Transcatheter Aortic Valve is inserted using a catheter into the heart through a large blood vessel in your groin or through a small incision in your chest.
The valve is normally made of natural tissue from the heart of either a cow or a pig. The natural tissue is re-engineered and attached to a flexible expanding mesh frame. In order to implant it into the heart, the valve is squeezed around or inside a catheter. The catheter is then inserted and guided to the aortic valve opening in your heart where it is implanted over your existing valve. Once the new valve is implanted, the catheter is removed. The new valve starts working right away.
What conditions is TAVR used for?
- TAVR is used for the treatment of Aortic Stenosis. In aortic stenosis, the aortic valve opening is narrowed. As a result, the valve will not open fully which makes the heart work harder & reduces blood flow to the body.
- TAVR may also be an option if the patient has a non-functioning biological valve that was previously inserted to replace the aortic valve.
What tests are done to determine if I am right candidate for TAVR?
TAVR Procedure explained
Before the procedure
- Do not eat at least 6 hours before the procedure.
- Stop taking diabetes & blood thinning medications at least 3 days before the procedure.
- Do not drink any clear fluids like water and tea without milk 2 hours before the procedure.
During the procedure
The patient is given general anesthesia. A balloon catheter is inserted into an artery through groin or collar bone, which is advanced into the heart and placed within the opening of the aortic valve. The balloon is gently inflated so that the replacement valve is pressed in the place of the native aortic valve or a new aortic valve is implanted using metal mesh tube. When the valve is securely placed, the catheter is withdrawn from the blood vessel.
After the procedure
- The patient is monitored closely, in the hospital for any possible after effects of the surgery.
- TAVR patients are usually discharged from the hospital within three to five days, after the procedure.
- The patient is prescribed blood-thinning medications to prevent blood clots after the procedure & medications to prevent certain infections