Best Oncologists for Stomach Cancer Treatment in India
- One of the finest oncologists in India, Dr. Ruqaya Ahmad Mir has been practicing surgical oncology for the past 20 years and is currently functioning as a Senior Consultant, Oncology at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi.
- Dr. Ruqaya Mir is known for her outstanding performance in some of the advanced surgical techniques which include Uterus and Ovary and Limb Conservation surgery and Cytoreductive surgery and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal chemotherapy for advanced colorectal and recurrent ovarian malignancies.
- She is also a well trained Robotic Surgeon practicing implementation of minimal invasion in surgical oncology.
- Dr. P K Das is one of the best Oncologists in India with an extensive career as the Senior Consultant Medical Oncologist, the Hemato- Oncologist, and Academic Coordinator of Dept of medical oncology at the Apollo Cancer Institute in New Delhi.
- With many years of experience at the Apollo Hospital, Dr. P K Das has been diligently treating patients and proactively contributing to the medical sector by working alongside topmost doctors in medical oncology.
- Dr. Dipanjan Panda is one of the well-known medical oncologists in India, having 15 years of expertise in treating bone and soft tissue cancers and gastrointestinal cancers.
- He is credited with starting the country’s first anticancer departments and PDCC program. Dr. Panda developed a medical oncology unit at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital in New Delhi, in association with the Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences. He is currently working at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital in New Delhi as a Senior Consultant, Medical Oncology.
- Dr. Panda has written twenty peer-reviewed papers in national and international journals. He has presented numerous talks at global forums.
- Dr. Amit Agarwal is a highly successful Medical Oncologist whose primary focus lies on pain management in cancer patients and provides treatment specifically for the management of early stages of Hodgkin’s disease and Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma, Non-Metastatic Ewing’s Sarcoma, Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation, and emergency medications for cancer patients.
- Dr. Agarwal has been part of other prestigious cancer hospitals where he has helped in the treatment of patients with various types and rare cases of cancer.
- Dr. Ashok Kumar Vaid is a reputed Medical Oncologist in India with expertise in the treatment of blood, lungs, skin, breast, and gastrointestinal cancers.
- He is famously known for performing among the first 25 bone marrow transplants in a private hospital in India.
- Dr. Ashok Vaid’s primary area of focus lies in Leukemia, Lymphoma, Solid tumors, and the treatment of organ-specific benign and malignant tumors.
- He prefers to treat his patients using non-surgical and pain-free techniques that include hormone therapy, biological therapy, targeted therapy, and chemotherapy.
- Dr. Hari Goyal is the head of the Oncology unit comprising some of the finest oncologists in the country. The team effort gives an edge & advantage to the patients’ management.
- His contribution to oncology is immense & has developed drugs for the management of chemotherapy side effects. This development has helped millions of cancer patients since 2004.
- Dr. Hari Goyal was a part of a large number of clinical trials of cancer research including one of the FDA audited trials.
- Dr. Vinod Raina is among the top and renowned Medical Oncologists in India with more than 38 years of extensive experience in the field.
- His primary expertise lies in Chemotherapy and is the first to perform high-dose chemotherapy in India. He also performed the first peripheral blood stem cell transplant in India.
- He has performed more than 250 bone marrow transplants and over 70 allotransplants for different types of cancers.
- Dr. Rahul Naithani is a reputed clinical hematologist. After his return from Canada, Dr. Naithani started his Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplant program at Max healthcare and is known to have performed over 130 BMTs in the past.
- His incredible skills and proficient work experience are currently helping him indulge in scientific research with multiple publications to his credit helping the national and international medical industry greatly.
- Dr. Manish Singhal is a renowned Medical Oncologist from India practicing the best cancer treatment for over 20 years.
- He is a gold medalist doctor who received specialized training in hematopoietic stem cell transplantation from world-renowned BMT specialists.
- Dr. Singhal is specifically interested in gastrointestinal cancer, GU, breast cancer, leukemia, and lung cancer. He excels in all modalities of chemotherapy, immunotherapy, and the management of oncological emergencies, along with patient medical care.
Best Stomach Cancer Treatment Hospitals in India
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital is a 700-bedded multispecialty hospital in the heart of the capital of India. It is a part of Apollo Hospital group, one of India’s most reputed healthcare chains. Indraprastha Apollo Hospital has been accredited by Joint Commission International, making it the first internationally accredited hospital in the country in 2005.
- There are 52 specialties in the hospital with one of the best cardiology centers in the country. The hospital is also equipped with State of the art infrastructure facilities with the largest Sleep Lab in Asia and the largest number of ICU bed facilities in India.
- The hospital also has one of the largest dialysis units in India along with a dedicated Bone Marrow Transplant unit.
- The latest and highly advanced technologies that are installed in the hospital include Da Vinci Robotic Surgery System, PET-MR, PET-CT, Cobalt-based HDR Brachytherapy, Brain Lab Navigation System, Tilting MRI, Portable CT scanner, 3 Tesla MRI, 128 Slice CT scanner, DSA Lab, Endosonography, Hyperbaric Chamber and Fibro scan.
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute is a multi-super-specialty, quaternary care hospital with 1000 beds. The hospital comprises reputed clinicians, and international faculty and is also equipped with cutting-edge technology. The hospital is a part of Fortis Healthcare Limited, a reputed chain of private hospitals in India.
- It is a NABH-accredited hospital that is spread across 11 acres of land and has a capacity of 1000 beds. The hospital has 55 specialties and is one of the premier health care centers in the Asia Pacific region popularly known as “the Mecca of Healthcare”.
- The hospital has 260 diagnostic centers and is also equipped with the latest and advanced techniques that include 3 Telsa which is the world’s first Digital MRI technology. The hospital also has world-class Radiation Therapy techniques which have been developed by leading technology experts from Elekta and Brain Lab.
Apollo Hospital, Chennai
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, is one of the best hospitals for heart care in India. Over the years, Apollo has expanded all over India, as a healthcare chain.
- India’s first ‘Only Pancreas’ transplant was performed in Apollo Hospital. The hospital is known for successfully performing Asia’s first en-bloc combined heart and liver transplant, and over the years, it has attained a remarkable achievement in the global healthcare space. Around 3-4 organ transplants are performed in the hospital per day.
- Equipped with over 500 beds, this hospital in Chennai was established in 1983 and since then has been among the most preferred hospital for patients from all over the world.
- The hospital holds accreditation of the NABH and JCI and is the first hospital in India to be ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certified. It is also the first South Indian Hospital to receive subsequent reaccreditation from the JCI USA 4 times.
Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon
- One of India’s best and largest multi-specialty hospitals, Medanta was built with the aim to bring India to the highest standards of medical care. The hospital has been providing the best medical services to its patients, since its inception, with care, commitment, and compassion.
- Equipped with 1250 beds, the hospital was founded by Dr. Naresh Trehan in the year 2009 with an aim to provide the best medical care at affordable costs. The hospital is spread across 43 acres and includes 45 operation theatres and 350 beds dedicated solely to ICU. The hospital includes over 800 doctors, and more than 22 specialty departments and has a dedicated floor for individual specialty in order to offer the best services under one roof.
- The hospital is considered one of the premier institutes in India for Cardiac Care and includes staffs and members of high caliber. The hospital has 6 distinct centers of excellence.
Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- One of the well-regarded providers in India committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence and patient care, Max Super Specialty Hospital is a part of Max Healthcare, which is the second-largest healthcare chain in India. Regarded as one of the most well-regarded healthcare providers in the country, Max Super Specialty Hospital is committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence as well as patient care. The hospital is also equipped with the latest technology as well as cutting-edge research. The hospital is known to deliver and ensure the highest level of patient care.
- The hospital has more than 500 beds and offers treatment for over 35 specialties. The hospital also holds the credit of having installed the first Brain Suite in Asia. This is a highly advanced Neurosurgical machine that allows MRI to be taken while surgery is ongoing.
- Other advanced and latest technologies are also installed in the hospital such as the 1.5 Tesla MRI machine, 64 Slice CT Angiography, 4D ECHO, LINAC, and 3.5T MRI machine.
Artemis Hospital, Gurugram
- One of the most well-known hospitals in the Delhi NCR, Artemis Hospital is the first hospital in Gurugram to get accredited by the Joint Commission International.
- With more than 40 specialties, the hospital has been designed to be one of the most technically advanced hospitals in the country, with the best medical and surgical health care. The hospital has eleven special and dedicated centers, for Heart, Cancer, Neurosciences, etc.
- The latest technologies in the hospital include Endovascular Hybrid Operating Suite and Flat panel Cath Labs for the cardiovascular department, 3 Tesla MRI, 16 slice PET CT, 64 Slice Cardiac CT Scan, HDR Brachytherapy, and highly advanced Image Guided Radiation Therapy techniques (LINAC) are installed in the hospital.
- The hospital has won several awards as well, since its inception.
BLK Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- Equipped with 650 beds, BLK Superspecialty Hospital is the largest stand-alone private sector hospital in Delhi.
- With over 1500 healthcare providers and 150 globally renowned super specialists, the hospital is one of Asia’s largest Bone Marrow Transplant Centres. The hospital is known for having some of the best cancer doctors in the country.
- The hospital is NABH and NABL accredited and was inaugurated by the first Prime Minister of India. Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru.
Gleneagles Global Hospitals, Chennai
- Established in 1999, Gleneagles Global Hospital, Chennai, is one of the top healthcare facilities in Southern India. It is part of the Gleneagles Hospital Chain, which is the fourth largest healthcare chain in the country. The hospital specializes in multi-organ transplants of kidneys, liver, lungs, heart, etc.
- The hospital has an excellent infrastructure and state-of-the-art lab and equipment set-up. The hospital boasts cutting-edge technologies, a highly skilled team of doctors and surgeons, and trained support staff. Located in Perumbakam, Chennai, it is one of India’s premier health care destinations. The hospital has performed some of the most complex surgical and clinical procedures in India including multi-organ transplantations.
- The hospital’s lung transplantation program is one of the best in the country. The hospital is known for having performed India’s first single lung transplant and first minimal invasive lung transplant. It is also the only Indian hospital to be associated with King’s College Hospital, London, United Kingdom for liver transplantations.
Fortis Hospital, Mulund, Mumbai
- Fortis Hospital in Mulund is a 315-bed multi-speciality tertiary care hospital with five JCI accreditations that offers a wide variety of diagnostic and therapeutic services. The Fortis Hospital in Mulund delivers patient-centred treatment with cutting-edge technology, highly skilled and experienced surgeons, and paramedical staff.
- This institution houses Maharashtra’s largest multi-organ transplant centre. It is also the first heart transplant centre in western India to conduct 100 or more consecutive heart transplants in under four years. It is the only hospital in the city to have multi-organ transplants and has handled the youngest patient for angioplasty. Fortis Hospital Mulund now boasts the first advanced surgical robot in central Mumbai.
- Cardiology and heart surgery, urology, nephrology, neurosciences, orthopaedics, digestive care, emergency and critical care, and maternity care are among the services provided by the hospital.
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Named after the wife of Indian industrialist Dhirubhai Ambani, the founder of Reliance Industries, this is one of the top hospitals in Mumbai. This 750-bed multi-specialty hospital became operational in 2009. Known as one of India’s most advanced tertiary care facilities, the hospital is designed to raise India’s global standing as a healthcare hub, with an emphasis on excellence in clinical services.
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital uses Protocol and Care Pathway based treatment models to ensure the best outcomes for patients.
- The hospital represents a confluence of top-notch talent, cutting-edge technology, state-of-the-art infrastructure, and, most importantly commitment.
- The hospital also holds the accreditation of the NABH, NABL, CAP, and JCI.
- The hospital has been recognized as the No. 1 Multispecialty Hospital in Mumbai and the West Zone for the fifth year in a row in 2020 by The Week.
Stomach Cancer is the growth of cancerous cells within the lining of your stomach. There is a possibility that these calls might grow into a tumor. Also known as gastric cancer, this type of cancer grows slowly over several years, and is difficult to diagnose, as patients don’t show symptoms in the early stages.
Sometimes, it even goes undiagnosed until it spreads to other parts of the body, making it more difficult to treat.
There are generally various signs and symptoms of stomach cancer, and some of them include:
- Feeling bloated after a meal
- Difficulty swallowing
- Feeling full after eating small amounts of food
- Stomach pain
- Unintentional weight loss
Causes & risk factors
Modern science is still researching what exactly makes cancer cells grow in the stomach. Few things are known to increase your risk for the disease. One of them is infection with bacteria which causes ulcers. Inflammation in your gut, which is known as gastritis can also increase the risk. Pernicious anemia, which is a type of long-lasting anemia, and certain growths in your stomach known as polyps are also known to make you more likely to get cancer.
Few other factors that might increase the risk of stomach cancer include:
- A diet high in smoked, pickled, or salty foods
- Being obese or overweight or obese
- Type- A blood
- Working in coal, timber, metal, or rubber industries
- Epstein-Barr virus infection
- Stomach surgery for an ulcer
- Exposure to asbestos
- Certain types of genes
Stages of Stomach Cancer:
Stage 1: Cancer is present in the inner lining of the stomach.
Stage 2: Cancer has spread into the deeper layers of stomach & nearby lymph nodes.
Stage 3: Cancer has spread to all the layers in the stomach as well as to the nearby organs like spleen or colon.
Stage 4: Cancer has spread far and wide to organs like the liver, lungs, or brain.
There are several tests and procedures which are used in order to diagnose stomach cancer.
Your doctor will need to determine the stage of your stomach cancer before he/she can decide which treatment option is best for you. Tests and procedures which are used to determine the stage of cancer include:
Imaging tests generally include positron emission tomography (PET) and CT scans.
Your doctor may also need to perform surgery to check if cancer has spread beyond your stomach, within your chest, or your abdomen. Exploratory surgery is usually done laparoscopically. This means the surgeon will be making several small incisions in your abdomen and next insert a special camera that transmits images to a monitor in the operating room.
Depending on your situation, other staging tests might be used as well.
The information from these procedures might be used by your doctor to assign a stage to your cancer, which ranges from 0 to IV. The lowest stage indicates that the cancer is quite small and has affected only the stomach’s inner layers. However, by stage IV, the cancer is considered to be quite advanced and may have spread to other areas of the body.
The goal of surgery is removing all of cancer, as well as some of the healthy tissue around it.
Operations that are used for treating stomach cancer can include:
Removing early-stage tumors from the lining of the stomach
Total gastrectomy involves the removal of the entire stomach as well as some surrounding tissue. After this, the esophagus is connected directly to your small intestine so that food is able to move through your digestive system. Total gastrectomy is generally meant for stomach cancers affecting the body of the stomach as well as those located in the gastroesophageal junction.
Removing lymph nodes to look for cancer
Surgery to relieve signs and symptoms
Radiation therapy is a form of cancer treatment, that uses high-powered beams of energy, such as protons and X-rays to kill cancer cells. In this method, you lie on a table, over which a machine moves around you, sending the energy beams.
Sometimes, radiation therapy might be used before surgery as well, in order to shrink cancer, so that it can be removed more easily.
Radiation therapy is also used after surgery to kill any cancer cells that might be remaining. It is also often combined with chemotherapy.
Chemotherapy is a drug treatment that makes use of chemicals to kill cancer cells. The drugs travel throughout the body and kill the cancer cells that might have spread through the stomach.
This treatment might be given before surgery as well, to help shrink cancer so that it might be removed more easily. Chemotherapy is also used after surgery to kill any cancer cells that might be remaining in the body. Sometimes it might also be combined with radiation therapy.
In people with advanced stomach cancer, it might also be used in combination with targeted drug therapy.