Best Sinus Surgery Doctors in India
- Dr. Deepak Sarin is a well-known Head and Neck Onco surgeon with a specialization in oral and throat cancers.
- His interest lies in minimally invasive surgeries for head and neck cancer and is also an expert in Robotic and Laser surgery.
- He holds the credit for establishing the Head and Neck surgery department in Sir Ganga Ram & Artemis Hospital and also started the Head and Neck Surgery unit in Medanta.
- With over 20 years of experience obtained in several parts of the world, including the UK, USA, etc. Dr. Ameet Kishore is known for providing the best treatment for all conditions of ear, nose, and throat, in children as well as adults.
- Dr. Ameet Kishore is quite experienced in otology and has performed microscopic ear surgeries for ear infections and reconstruction surgery for hearing. Having received his training from the National Center for Cochlear Implantation, he has extensive experience in managing deafness with cochlear implantation.
- Dr. Kishore has also set up the Cochlear Implant Program with a series of over 500 Cochlear Implants procedures in eight years. He is also one of India’s first surgeons who have carried out Auditory Brainstem Implantation.
- With experience in functional endoscopic sinus surgery, using specialized tools such as endoscopic camera systems, microdebrider, and balloon sinuplasty, he has also performed advanced endoscopic procedures.
- Dr. Ameet Kishore is also competent in treating child problems such as tonsils, glued ears, adenoids, as well as noisy and difficult breathing, as well as any problem that can affect the pediatric airway.
- Dr. Sanjay Sachdeva is one of the most prominent ENT/ Otorhinolaryngologists in India with 30+ years of experience as a medical professional.
- He is currently working as the Senior Director in Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi.
- Dr. Sanjay Sachdeva has received multiple awards and accolades for his incredible achievements in the field of Otorhinolaryngology.
- Dr. Sabir Husain Ansari is one of the best ENT/ Otorhinolaryngology surgeons in India practicing at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital. He holds nearly 50 years of experience in treating Sinus infections, sebaceous cysts, Epistaxis, Tonsillitis, and otoplasty.
- Dr. Ansari also helps with the hearing & speech evaluations in both children and adults. Being a specialized ENT doctor for nearly 36 years, he has competence in Micro Ear Surgery, Middle Ear Endoscopic, Neck Surgery, Nasal Surgery, Otoneurology, Pediatric ENT, Micro Laryngeal Surgery, Hearing Implant procedure, Endoscopic Sinus Surgery, and more.
- Dr. Kumud Kumar Handa is a highly acclaimed ENT and Head and Neck Surgeon in India with specializations in Head and Neck cancer surgery.
- Dr. K K Handa’s expertise in the field of ENT is prominent with the 27 years of experience that he has in the field.
- His area of interest includes voice surgery, laser surgery, endoscopic sinus surgery, cochlear implant surgery, and head and neck surgery. He has helped in the treatment of a number of head and neck cancer patients with different types of cancer surgeries.
- Dr. Kalpana Nagpal is an ENT/Otorhinolaryngologist in India with extensive expertise. She has nearly three decades of experience in performing Microscopic and Endoscopic Surgeries for sinus infections, sebaceous cysts, epistaxis, tonsillitis, and otoplasty.
- Dr. Nagpal is a senior consultant for ENT at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital. She treats patients with congenital ear problems, orbital and optic nerve decompression, and tonsillectomy in both children and adults. Her area of expertise is Head & Neck Surgery.
- Dr. Nagpal also serves as the President of the Women Association of Otolaryngologists and is active in academics.
- Dr. Aru Chhabra Handa is a famous ENT surgeon practicing in Medanta, Gurugram who is trained in oto-rhino-layrngology. She has expertise in treating pediatric ENT patients.
- Highly experienced in all kinds of routine and advanced surgeries of the ear, nose, and throat, she is also an expert in rhinoplasty, micro ear surgery, neuro ontological disorders, endoscopic nasal and sinus surgery, as well as phono surgery.
- Throughout her career of over 23 years, Dr. Aru Chhabra Handa has served in various reputed hospitals in North India. She has also treated several cases related to tonsillitis, epistaxis, pharyngitis, ear infection, voice and speech disorders, and throat cancer.
- She is known to be among the few ENT specialists in India, specializing in adult as well as pediatric cases. She has also taken up several complex cases in her career before she joined Medanta.
- Dr. Handa also has around 40 publications in several international and national journals as well as book chapters. She is also known for being a panelist and guest faculty in several CMEs, workshops, and conferences.
- A reputed ENT specialist, Dr. Arvind Soni has over 30 years of experience. His expertise are endoscopic nasal and sinus surgery, which includes skull-based surgery.
- Throughout his career, Dr. Arvind Soni has performed over 1400 operations.
- Also having worked as an ENT specialist with the Ministry of Health in Saudi Arabia.
- Dr. Soni has been awarded the Gold Medal for best paper at the All Indian Rhinology Conference.
- Being one of the finest ENT doctors in Delhi, his clinic is equipped with all modern equipment.
- Dr. Dhingra is one of the best ENT surgeons in India with experience of over 45 years in the field.
- He is the senior consultant ENT with Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, New Delhi. The veteran doctor is practicing in the area since 1965 and specializes in Ear, Nose, Throat, and Head & Neck Surgery.
- Dr. P L Dhingra has a special interest in ear surgery for alleviating deafness, endoscopic surgery of the nose and sinuses, and Microsurgery for voice disorders.
- Dr. Dhingra has held many prominent positions in his career; that included Medical Superintendent of the University College of Medical Sciences and GTB Hospital, Delhi.
- He penned many books, including a self-assessment manual; and articles in national and international journals.
- Dr. Shashidhar TB is known as an exceptionally talented, hard-working, and dedicated consultant for ENT, head and neck surgery who has years of experience in handling challenging cases.
- His interests include airway reconstruction, treating swallowing disorders, sleep apnea surgery, general ENT along with pediatric ENT. He has also been the runner-up in the International Pediatric Otolaryngology conference for Best Paper Award.
Best Sinus Surgery Hospitals in India
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital is a 700-bedded multispecialty hospital in the heart of the capital of India. It is a part of Apollo Hospital group, one of India’s most reputed healthcare chains. Indraprastha Apollo Hospital has been accredited by Joint Commission International, making it the first internationally accredited hospital in the country in 2005.
- There are 52 specialties in the hospital with one of the best cardiology centers in the country. The hospital is also equipped with State of the art infrastructure facilities with the largest Sleep Lab in Asia and the largest number of ICU bed facilities in India.
- The hospital also has one of the largest dialysis units in India along with a dedicated Bone Marrow Transplant unit.
- The latest and highly advanced technologies that are installed in the hospital include Da Vinci Robotic Surgery System, PET-MR, PET-CT, Cobalt-based HDR Brachytherapy, Brain Lab Navigation System, Tilting MRI, Portable CT scanner, 3 Tesla MRI, 128 Slice CT scanner, DSA Lab, Endosonography, Hyperbaric Chamber and Fibro scan.
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute is a multi-super-specialty, quaternary care hospital with 1000 beds. The hospital comprises reputed clinicians, and international faculty and is also equipped with cutting-edge technology. The hospital is a part of Fortis Healthcare Limited, a reputed chain of private hospitals in India.
- It is a NABH-accredited hospital that is spread across 11 acres of land and has a capacity of 1000 beds. The hospital has 55 specialties and is one of the premier health care centers in the Asia Pacific region popularly known as “the Mecca of Healthcare”.
- The hospital has 260 diagnostic centers and is also equipped with the latest and advanced techniques that include 3 Telsa which is the world’s first Digital MRI technology. The hospital also has world-class Radiation Therapy techniques which have been developed by leading technology experts from Elekta and Brain Lab.
Apollo Hospital, Chennai
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, is one of the best hospitals for heart care in India. Over the years, Apollo has expanded all over India, as a healthcare chain.
- India’s first ‘Only Pancreas’ transplant was performed in Apollo Hospital. The hospital is known for successfully performing Asia’s first en-bloc combined heart and liver transplant, and over the years, it has attained a remarkable achievement in the global healthcare space. Around 3-4 organ transplants are performed in the hospital per day.
- Equipped with over 500 beds, this hospital in Chennai was established in 1983 and since then has been among the most preferred hospital for patients from all over the world.
- The hospital holds accreditation of the NABH and JCI and is the first hospital in India to be ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certified. It is also the first South Indian Hospital to receive subsequent reaccreditation from the JCI USA 4 times.
Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon
- One of India’s best and largest multi-specialty hospitals, Medanta was built with the aim to bring India to the highest standards of medical care. The hospital has been providing the best medical services to its patients, since its inception, with care, commitment, and compassion.
- Equipped with 1250 beds, the hospital was founded by Dr. Naresh Trehan in the year 2009 with an aim to provide the best medical care at affordable costs. The hospital is spread across 43 acres and includes 45 operation theatres and 350 beds dedicated solely to ICU. The hospital includes over 800 doctors, and more than 22 specialty departments and has a dedicated floor for individual specialty in order to offer the best services under one roof.
- The hospital is considered one of the premier institutes in India for Cardiac Care and includes staffs and members of high caliber. The hospital has 6 distinct centers of excellence.
Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- One of the well-regarded providers in India committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence and patient care, Max Super Specialty Hospital is a part of Max Healthcare, which is the second-largest healthcare chain in India. Regarded as one of the most well-regarded healthcare providers in the country, Max Super Specialty Hospital is committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence as well as patient care. The hospital is also equipped with the latest technology as well as cutting-edge research. The hospital is known to deliver and ensure the highest level of patient care.
- The hospital has more than 500 beds and offers treatment for over 35 specialties. The hospital also holds the credit of having installed the first Brain Suite in Asia. This is a highly advanced Neurosurgical machine that allows MRI to be taken while surgery is ongoing.
- Other advanced and latest technologies are also installed in the hospital such as the 1.5 Tesla MRI machine, 64 Slice CT Angiography, 4D ECHO, LINAC, and 3.5T MRI machine.
Artemis Hospital, Gurugram
- One of the most well-known hospitals in the Delhi NCR, Artemis Hospital is the first hospital in Gurugram to get accredited by the Joint Commission International.
- With more than 40 specialties, the hospital has been designed to be one of the most technically advanced hospitals in the country, with the best medical and surgical health care. The hospital has eleven special and dedicated centers, for Heart, Cancer, Neurosciences, etc.
- The latest technologies in the hospital include Endovascular Hybrid Operating Suite and Flat panel Cath Labs for the cardiovascular department, 3 Tesla MRI, 16 slice PET CT, 64 Slice Cardiac CT Scan, HDR Brachytherapy, and highly advanced Image Guided Radiation Therapy techniques (LINAC) are installed in the hospital.
- The hospital has won several awards as well, since its inception.
Gleneagles Global Hospitals, Chennai
- Established in 1999, Gleneagles Global Hospital, Chennai, is one of the top healthcare facilities in Southern India. It is part of the Gleneagles Hospital Chain, which is the fourth largest healthcare chain in the country. The hospital specializes in multi-organ transplants of kidneys, liver, lungs, heart, etc.
- The hospital has an excellent infrastructure and state-of-the-art lab and equipment set-up. The hospital boasts cutting-edge technologies, a highly skilled team of doctors and surgeons, and trained support staff. Located in Perumbakam, Chennai, it is one of India’s premier health care destinations. The hospital has performed some of the most complex surgical and clinical procedures in India including multi-organ transplantations.
- The hospital’s lung transplantation program is one of the best in the country. The hospital is known for having performed India’s first single lung transplant and first minimal invasive lung transplant. It is also the only Indian hospital to be associated with King’s College Hospital, London, United Kingdom for liver transplantations.
Fortis Hospital, Mulund, Mumbai
- Fortis Hospital in Mulund is a 315-bed multi-speciality tertiary care hospital with five JCI accreditations that offers a wide variety of diagnostic and therapeutic services. The Fortis Hospital in Mulund delivers patient-centred treatment with cutting-edge technology, highly skilled and experienced surgeons, and paramedical staff.
- This institution houses Maharashtra’s largest multi-organ transplant centre. It is also the first heart transplant centre in western India to conduct 100 or more consecutive heart transplants in under four years. It is the only hospital in the city to have multi-organ transplants and has handled the youngest patient for angioplasty. Fortis Hospital Mulund now boasts the first advanced surgical robot in central Mumbai.
- Cardiology and heart surgery, urology, nephrology, neurosciences, orthopaedics, digestive care, emergency and critical care, and maternity care are among the services provided by the hospital.
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Named after the wife of Indian industrialist Dhirubhai Ambani, the founder of Reliance Industries, this is one of the top hospitals in Mumbai. This 750-bed multi-specialty hospital became operational in 2009. Known as one of India’s most advanced tertiary care facilities, the hospital is designed to raise India’s global standing as a healthcare hub, with an emphasis on excellence in clinical services.
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital uses Protocol and Care Pathway based treatment models to ensure the best outcomes for patients.
- The hospital represents a confluence of top-notch talent, cutting-edge technology, state-of-the-art infrastructure, and, most importantly commitment.
- The hospital also holds the accreditation of the NABH, NABL, CAP, and JCI.
- The hospital has been recognized as the No. 1 Multispecialty Hospital in Mumbai and the West Zone for the fifth year in a row in 2020 by The Week.
Fortis Escorts Hospital, New Delhi
- Over the last 33 years, the Fortis Escorts Heart Institute has set new standards in cardiac treatment with groundbreaking research. It is now known around the world as a centre of expertise for Cardiac Bypass Surgery, Interventional Cardiology, Non-invasive Cardiology, Paediatric Cardiology, and Paediatric Cardiac Surgery.
- The hospital has cutting-edge laboratories that perform a wide range of diagnostic tests in Nuclear Medicine, Radiology, Biochemistry, Haematology, Transfusion Medicine, and Microbiology.
- Fortis Escorts Heart Institute boasts a diverse group of bright and experienced doctors who are backed up by a team of highly qualified, experienced, and devoted support professionals as well as cutting-edge equipment such as the recently installed Dual CT Scan.
- Approximately 200 cardiac doctors and 1600 personnel currently collaborate to manage over 14,500 admissions and 7,200 emergency situations each year. The hospital now has a 310-bed infrastructure, as well as five cath labs and a slew of other world-class amenities.
Sinuses are cavities inside a person’s skull located around the eyes and nose as well as within the front of the face. Though it is presumed that the sinus system includes the passages behind the nose, there are sinus cavities behind your forehead and eyes as well. People usually have a total of eight sinus cavities.
The procedure which opens the pathways of the sinuses to clear blockages is known as sinus surgery. This is an option for people having ongoing or recurring sinus infections and for people with abnormal sinus structure or abnormal growths in the sinus. Before resorting to this surgery, a doctor generally attempts other treatments and procedures and this surgery is carried out if all other treatments fail to work.
The surgery is performed with the goal to remove whatever is blocking the drainage pathways of your sinuses. This can include removing:
- Thin pieces of bone
- Mucous membranes
- Swollen or damaged tissue
- Nasal polyps
- Tumors or growths blocking the nasal or sinus passage
Sinus surgery can also be required for treating a variety of issues and sinusitis and nasal polyps are usually the most common reasons.
- Sinusitis- Swelling of the nasal sinuses or passages is termed as sinusitis. Sometimes it is referred to as a sinus infection. A person with sinusitis can show symptoms of a stuffy nose, cough, pressure around the nose, eyes or forehead, head congestion and headaches, etc.
- Nasal polyps- Nasal polyps are swelling of the nasal lining inside the sinuses and nasal passages. They can vary in size but they are usually teardrop-shaped. Larger polyps or clusters might lead to breathing issues and can affect someone’s sense of smell as well. They may also block a person’s sinuses which can lead to infections.
Even though some may experience no symptoms from nasal polyps, some people can experience any of the common symptoms:
- a blocked nose, leading to difficulty breathing
- recurrent sinus infections
- a runny nose
- a reduced sense of smell or taste
- post-nasal drip
- facial pain
- sleep apnea
Other reasons- Sometimes sinus surgery can also be required for other infections, abnormal growths, ongoing blockages or any issues that can cause inflammation in the nasal passages and sinuses.
Keep in mind that you should avoid over-the-counter drugs such as ibuprofen and aspirin for a week prior to your surgery. However, you need to consult with your doctor as some people shouldn’t be off their medications for too long in some cases.
Start irrigating the sinus passages with a saline spray as well. Also arrange for a ride home after your procedure, as you will not be able to drive.
Though endoscopic sinus surgery is the most common type of surgery, there are other types of surgery as well that might be carried out.
Functional endoscopic sinus surgery (FESS)
This surgery is carried out with the help of a tool which is called an endoscope. It is a thin fiber-optic tube. The endoscope will be inserted into the nose to reach the openings of your sinuses.
After this, micro-telescopes and surgical instruments will be passed down the endoscope. They will be used to carry out the procedure. The surgeon will make use of these tools to remove any kind of obstructive tissues as well as other blockages for clearing the sinuses.
The procedure is entirely carried out through the nostrils and leaves little to no scarring. Sometimes a little swelling can occur but it disappears very quickly.
A person having this surgery will usually feel slight discomfort, which will be for a very short time.
FESS can be performed frequently as well as on an outpatient basis.
This surgery is a newer procedure that is usually recommended for severe forms of sinus blockages. It can also be recommended if previous sinus surgeries were not very successful.
Along with an endoscope, this type of surgery makes use of a near-three-dimensional mapping system so that the surgeon can be shown the position of the surgical instruments. This is done using CT scans as well as infrared signals. With the help of this guidance, a surgeon can navigate difficult sinus passages and also remove tissues and other blockages accurately.
This procedure is more invasive as compared to the previous two as well as less common. It is usually carried out to remove growths as well as improve sinus drainage. It creates a pathway between the nose and the cavity beneath the eye which is known as the maxillary sinus. This window will aid in the drainage.
Your surgeon will be making a cut in the upper jaw, above one of your second molar teeth inside your mouth. After this, he/she then enters the sinus cavity through this cut. This surgery can be performed both under local or general anesthetic.
After the sinus surgery, nasal packing might be used. Sterile gauze-like material will be inserted into your nasal passage to help control the bleeding. If the packing is absorbable, then it will dissolve over time. However, if it is non-absorbable, your doctor will need to remove it.
The time taken for recovery will depend on the type of surgery that was performed. Age and overall health are also factors. Most people hardly experience any discomfort during this surgery and are able to go home the same day. Also note that it is common to experience mild discomfort, fatigue, nasal congestion as well as small amounts of bleeding.
Remember to follow your doctor’s instructions for aftercare and take medications as prescribed. For the first two weeks after your surgery, you might also need to make a few changes in your daily routine.
The majority of the people who have had sinus surgery have reported that their symptoms have improved a lot after the surgery and they are able to breathe more easily and have fewer infections. They also report an improved sense of smell. Therefore, the surgery seems worth the minimal risks that it carries.