Best Doctors in India for Sigmoidoscopy
- Dr. Yogesh Batra is one of the best medical gastroenterologists in New Delhi, India.
- Dr. Batra specializes in therapeutic endoscopy (EUS, ERCP), hepatology, pancreatic disease, and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). He has successfully performed a variety of diagnostic and therapeutic GI procedures on hundreds of patients throughout his career.
- Dr. Pawan Rawal continued to work in PGIMER, Chandigarh after completing his DM for the next few years and gained proficiency in clinical Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and its application to patient care.
- He has performed several adults and pediatric upper G I endoscopies/ colonoscopies, ERCPs, capsule endoscopies, and push and double-balloon enteroscopy. Dr. Pawan Rawal is quite experienced in performing all kinds of therapeutic procedures.
- Dr. Subhash Gupta is one of the finest Gastrointestinal and Liver Transplant Surgeons in the country. He has garnered an outstanding reputation in the field of Biliary, pancreas, and liver transplantation.
- He has conducted over 300 Living Donor Liver Transplants in the year 2013 each lasting 10-16 hours long.
- Dr. Subhash Gupta is also known to pioneer the development of Living Donor Transplant or LDLT.
- Known to be a pioneer in the field of liver transplantation, Dr. Arvinder Singh Soin leads one of the world’s most successful liver transplant programs at Medanta. Currently, he is the Chairman of the Institute of Liver Transplantation and Regenerative Medicine, at Medanata- The Medicity, Gurgaon, India.
- Quite renowned for having a 95 percent success rate, and having performed over 2500 liver transplants throughout his career, Dr. Arvinder Singh Soin was awarded the Padma Shri by the President of India, for his contributions to the field of Medicine.
- Dr. Vivek Vij is considered one of the most reputed liver transplant surgeons who has over 17 years of proficient experience and has performed multiple exemplary medical procedures involving advanced surgical skills that cover the entire gamut of gastroenterological surgeries.
- Dr. Vivek Vij’s expertise lies in Adult & Paediatric Liver Transplant, Complex Liver Surgery, Advanced Pancreato-biliary Surgeries, Advanced Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgeries, Basic Science Research, and Regenerative Medicine. His outstanding expertise in liver transplant procedures has earned him many accolades and prestige.
- Dr. Avnish Kumar Seth is a well-renowned name in the field of gastroenterology. With fellowships in Liver transplant (Birmingham, UK) and Endoscopic ultrasound (South Carolina Alabama, USA), Dr. Avnish Seth’s areas of interest include treatment of hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, liver transplantation, and advanced GI endoscopic procedures.
- Dr. Avnish Kumar Seth has over two decades of experience in Gastroenterology Hepatobiliary Sciences. An expert in Diagnostic Therapeutic GI Endoscopy, Colonoscopy, ERCP, and Liver Transplantation.
- Dr. Deepak Govil is one of the best Surgical Gastroenterologists in India, having over 29 years of experience in GI procedures. He has worked as a senior Gastro and laparoscopic surgeon at Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals.
- Dr. Govil, the founder of PSRI’s Department of GI Surgery, has done a lot of significant GI surgical interventions.
- He is well-known for having done liver transplants upon living donors. At Apollo Hospital, he has performed over 2000 surgeries that include the liver, gastrointestinal tract, and laparoscopic procedures.
- In addition to his fieldwork, Dr. Govil has taught at prestigious medical institutes in Delhi.
- Dr. D K Bhargava is a Medical Gastroenterologist working at Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, New Delhi.
- He has 45 years of experience in his field.
- Dr. Bhargava was a Professor of Gastroenterology at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi formerly.
- Some of the services he provides are Colonoscopy, Gastroenteritis Treatment, Acidity Treatment, and Irritable Bowel Syndrome Treatment.
- Exceptionally qualified Dr. D K Bhargava has received the Padma Shri Award and Dr. B C Roy National Award from the President of India.
- He has published more than 150 articles, papers, and journals throughout his career.
- He is a member of the American Gastroenterological Association, Indian Society of Gastroenterology and American College of Gastroenterology.
- Dr. Anupam Sibal is one of the best Pediatric Gastroenterologists in Delhi, having nearly 26 years of experience in treating GI and liver disorders.
- He is a senior consultant for Pediatric Gastroenterology and Hepatology at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, Delhi. Additionally, he is working as Group Medical Director of Apollo Hospitals.
- He has expertise in Congenital Disorders Evaluation & Treatment, Growth & Development Management, injuries in children, and complete Paediatric health checkups.
- Dr. Sibal went for International certifications and training to improvise.
- Dr. Sibal won many National and International Awards for his excellent work.
- Besides authoring 99 medical writing Dr. Sibal has written a bestselling book, “Is Your Child Ready to Face the World?” and edited/proofread a textbook on Gastroenterology & Hepatology.
- Dr. (Prof.) Mohamed Rela is known as one of the best liver transplant surgeons in the world. His name has also entered the Guinness Book of Records for performing liver transplantation of a 5-day-old baby.
- With more than 30 years of experience, Dr. Rela is known as a pioneer in liver transplantation & hepatopancreatobiliary (HPB) surgery.
- Dr. Mohamed Rela is the Chairman and Director of Dr. Rela Institute and Medical Centre, Chennai, India; and the Professor of Liver Surgery and Transplantation, at King’s College, Hospital in London as well.
- During his career of almost 30 years, Dr. Rela has performed over 4500 liver transplantations worldwide.
Best Hospitals in India for Sigmoidoscopy
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital is a 700-bedded multispecialty hospital in the heart of the capital of India. It is a part of Apollo Hospital group, one of India’s most reputed healthcare chains. Indraprastha Apollo Hospital has been accredited by Joint Commission International, making it the first internationally accredited hospital in the country in 2005.
- There are 52 specialties in the hospital with one of the best cardiology centers in the country. The hospital is also equipped with State of the art infrastructure facilities with the largest Sleep Lab in Asia and the largest number of ICU bed facilities in India.
- The hospital also has one of the largest dialysis units in India along with a dedicated Bone Marrow Transplant unit.
- The latest and highly advanced technologies that are installed in the hospital include Da Vinci Robotic Surgery System, PET-MR, PET-CT, Cobalt-based HDR Brachytherapy, Brain Lab Navigation System, Tilting MRI, Portable CT scanner, 3 Tesla MRI, 128 Slice CT scanner, DSA Lab, Endosonography, Hyperbaric Chamber and Fibro scan.
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute is a multi-super-specialty, quaternary care hospital with 1000 beds. The hospital comprises reputed clinicians, and international faculty and is also equipped with cutting-edge technology. The hospital is a part of Fortis Healthcare Limited, a reputed chain of private hospitals in India.
- It is a NABH-accredited hospital that is spread across 11 acres of land and has a capacity of 1000 beds. The hospital has 55 specialties and is one of the premier health care centers in the Asia Pacific region popularly known as “the Mecca of Healthcare”.
- The hospital has 260 diagnostic centers and is also equipped with the latest and advanced techniques that include 3 Telsa which is the world’s first Digital MRI technology. The hospital also has world-class Radiation Therapy techniques which have been developed by leading technology experts from Elekta and Brain Lab.
Apollo Hospital, Chennai
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, is one of the best hospitals for heart care in India. Over the years, Apollo has expanded all over India, as a healthcare chain.
- India’s first ‘Only Pancreas’ transplant was performed in Apollo Hospital. The hospital is known for successfully performing Asia’s first en-bloc combined heart and liver transplant, and over the years, it has attained a remarkable achievement in the global healthcare space. Around 3-4 organ transplants are performed in the hospital per day.
- Equipped with over 500 beds, this hospital in Chennai was established in 1983 and since then has been among the most preferred hospital for patients from all over the world.
- The hospital holds accreditation of the NABH and JCI and is the first hospital in India to be ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certified. It is also the first South Indian Hospital to receive subsequent reaccreditation from the JCI USA 4 times.
Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon
- One of India’s best and largest multi-specialty hospitals, Medanta was built with the aim to bring India to the highest standards of medical care. The hospital has been providing the best medical services to its patients, since its inception, with care, commitment, and compassion.
- Equipped with 1250 beds, the hospital was founded by Dr. Naresh Trehan in the year 2009 with an aim to provide the best medical care at affordable costs. The hospital is spread across 43 acres and includes 45 operation theatres and 350 beds dedicated solely to ICU. The hospital includes over 800 doctors, and more than 22 specialty departments and has a dedicated floor for individual specialty in order to offer the best services under one roof.
- The hospital is considered one of the premier institutes in India for Cardiac Care and includes staffs and members of high caliber. The hospital has 6 distinct centers of excellence.
Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- One of the well-regarded providers in India committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence and patient care, Max Super Specialty Hospital is a part of Max Healthcare, which is the second-largest healthcare chain in India. Regarded as one of the most well-regarded healthcare providers in the country, Max Super Specialty Hospital is committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence as well as patient care. The hospital is also equipped with the latest technology as well as cutting-edge research. The hospital is known to deliver and ensure the highest level of patient care.
- The hospital has more than 500 beds and offers treatment for over 35 specialties. The hospital also holds the credit of having installed the first Brain Suite in Asia. This is a highly advanced Neurosurgical machine that allows MRI to be taken while surgery is ongoing.
- Other advanced and latest technologies are also installed in the hospital such as the 1.5 Tesla MRI machine, 64 Slice CT Angiography, 4D ECHO, LINAC, and 3.5T MRI machine.
Artemis Hospital, Gurugram
- One of the most well-known hospitals in the Delhi NCR, Artemis Hospital is the first hospital in Gurugram to get accredited by the Joint Commission International.
- With more than 40 specialties, the hospital has been designed to be one of the most technically advanced hospitals in the country, with the best medical and surgical health care. The hospital has eleven special and dedicated centers, for Heart, Cancer, Neurosciences, etc.
- The latest technologies in the hospital include Endovascular Hybrid Operating Suite and Flat panel Cath Labs for the cardiovascular department, 3 Tesla MRI, 16 slice PET CT, 64 Slice Cardiac CT Scan, HDR Brachytherapy, and highly advanced Image Guided Radiation Therapy techniques (LINAC) are installed in the hospital.
- The hospital has won several awards as well, since its inception.
BLK Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- Equipped with 650 beds, BLK Superspecialty Hospital is the largest stand-alone private sector hospital in Delhi.
- With over 1500 healthcare providers and 150 globally renowned super specialists, the hospital is one of Asia’s largest Bone Marrow Transplant Centres. The hospital is known for having some of the best cancer doctors in the country.
- The hospital is NABH and NABL accredited and was inaugurated by the first Prime Minister of India. Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru.
Gleneagles Global Hospitals, Chennai
- Established in 1999, Gleneagles Global Hospital, Chennai, is one of the top healthcare facilities in Southern India. It is part of the Gleneagles Hospital Chain, which is the fourth largest healthcare chain in the country. The hospital specializes in multi-organ transplants of kidneys, liver, lungs, heart, etc.
- The hospital has an excellent infrastructure and state-of-the-art lab and equipment set-up. The hospital boasts cutting-edge technologies, a highly skilled team of doctors and surgeons, and trained support staff. Located in Perumbakam, Chennai, it is one of India’s premier health care destinations. The hospital has performed some of the most complex surgical and clinical procedures in India including multi-organ transplantations.
- The hospital’s lung transplantation program is one of the best in the country. The hospital is known for having performed India’s first single lung transplant and first minimal invasive lung transplant. It is also the only Indian hospital to be associated with King’s College Hospital, London, United Kingdom for liver transplantations.
Fortis Hospital, Mulund, Mumbai
- Fortis Hospital in Mulund is a 315-bed multi-speciality tertiary care hospital with five JCI accreditations that offers a wide variety of diagnostic and therapeutic services. The Fortis Hospital in Mulund delivers patient-centred treatment with cutting-edge technology, highly skilled and experienced surgeons, and paramedical staff.
- This institution houses Maharashtra’s largest multi-organ transplant centre. It is also the first heart transplant centre in western India to conduct 100 or more consecutive heart transplants in under four years. It is the only hospital in the city to have multi-organ transplants and has handled the youngest patient for angioplasty. Fortis Hospital Mulund now boasts the first advanced surgical robot in central Mumbai.
- Cardiology and heart surgery, urology, nephrology, neurosciences, orthopaedics, digestive care, emergency and critical care, and maternity care are among the services provided by the hospital.
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Named after the wife of Indian industrialist Dhirubhai Ambani, the founder of Reliance Industries, this is one of the top hospitals in Mumbai. This 750-bed multi-specialty hospital became operational in 2009. Known as one of India’s most advanced tertiary care facilities, the hospital is designed to raise India’s global standing as a healthcare hub, with an emphasis on excellence in clinical services.
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital uses Protocol and Care Pathway based treatment models to ensure the best outcomes for patients.
- The hospital represents a confluence of top-notch talent, cutting-edge technology, state-of-the-art infrastructure, and, most importantly commitment.
- The hospital also holds the accreditation of the NABH, NABL, CAP, and JCI.
- The hospital has been recognized as the No. 1 Multispecialty Hospital in Mumbai and the West Zone for the fifth year in a row in 2020 by The Week.
Sigmoidoscopy is a test where your doctor examines the rectum and lower part of the colon. The colon is your large intestine and its lower part is known as the sigmoid colon. The sigmoid colon ends in your rectum, where the waste is collected before it leaves your body when you are having a bowel movement.
Sigmoidoscopy, which is also termed as flexible sigmoidoscopy, can help your doctor to look for ulcers, cancer, polyps or abnormal cells. In this procedure, typically tissues are taken as samples for checking for any abnormal changes in the cells.
Sigmoidoscopy can help your doctor investigate possible causes of abdominal pain, changes in bowel habits, rectal bleeding, chronic diarrhea or any other problems related to the intestine.
If you are over 50 years of age, it puts you at average risk for colon cancer, which is why your doctor may recommend a flexible sigmoidoscopy exam every five years to screen for colon cancer.
Though sigmoidoscopy helps in screening for colon cancer screening, there are other options as well, which can allow your doctor to view the whole colon, such as colonoscopy.
Occasionally, sigmoidoscopy is preferred over colonoscopy as it takes lesser time, and doesn’t require an anesthetic. There are also lower risks.
Before going through a sigmoidoscopy exam, it is important to empty your colon. If there is any residue in your colon, it can obscure the view of your colon and rectum during the procedure.
To empty your colon, it is important to carefully follow your doctor’s instructions. Your doctor might ask you not to consume any food the day before you undergo the exam. Instead, you can consume plain water, carbonated beverages, broth as well as tea and coffee without any milk or cream. The doctor may also ask you not to eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your exam.
Your doctor may ask you to take a laxative, which will be either in pill or liquid form.
You will also need to use an over-the-counter enema kit, typically a few hours before the exam, for emptying your colon. You might also be asked to take two enemas.
If you take medications or supplements, remind your doctor about them at least a week before the exam. You may need to temporarily stop the medications or adjust the dosages for some time.
You’ll need to wear a gown and begin the exam lying on your left side on the exam table. Then you need to draw your knees toward your abdomen. Then the sigmoidoscope, which is a thin and flexible tube, will be inserted into your rectum. The tube has a light as well as a very small camera on the end, which helps images to be transmitted onto a monitor for the doctor to see. The tube also inflates your colon with some air, making it easier for your doctor to examine.
Please note that when the scope is moved or air is introduced, you might experience abdominal cramping or the urge to move your bowels.
This exam should take around 15 minutes. If biopsies are taken, it may require slightly more time. Usually, sedation and pain medications aren’t required. If a polyp is found, your doctor might recommend a full colonoscopy to examine the entire colon, as there might be other polyps present further up in the colon.
After the procedure
After the exam, you should be able to return to your usual diet and activities. However, you might experience mild discomfort after the exam. You might feel bloated or pass gas for some hours as the air is cleared from your colon. Walking should help relieve the discomfort.
You might also notice a little blood with your first bowel movement after the exam, for which there is no reason to worry. You can consult your doctor if you continue to pass blood or blood clots or if you experience persistent abdominal pain or a fever of 100 F or higher.
If your results are negative, that means your doctor hasn’t found any abnormalities in your colon. If you’re above fifty years of age, then you may be at average risk of colon cancer. So your doctors can recommend the exam again after five years.
If your results are positive that means your doctor found polyps or abnormal tissues in your colon. You might require additional testing, such as colonoscopy, depending on the findings. The abnormalities will be examined more thoroughly, biopsied or removed.