Best Doctors in India for Rheumatoid Arthritis treatment
- (Prof) Raju Vaishya is a well-known Orthopedic Surgeon in India with expertise in arthroscopic surgery (hip and knee) and joint replacement procedures.
- He has been in the field of joint replacement and arthroscopy for more than 30 years and is highly skilled at the management of chronic arthritis and performing joint replacement surgeries for hip, knee, elbow, shoulder, and finger joints.
- Dr. Raju Vaishya is among the first orthopedic surgeons to introduce shoulder arthroscopy in India and is the best surgeon for knee and hip arthroplasty in the country.
- His interest also lies in cartilage regeneration and restoration along with management and treatment of ligament injuries.
- Currently, Dr. Raju Vaishya is one of the lead orthopedic surgeons in Indraprastha Apollo Hospital and is also a Professor in the department. He is part of a highly efficient team of orthopedic doctors and surgeons in the hospital which makes it one of the best orthopedic centers in India.
- He runs a fellowship training program in orthopedic surgery under Indraprastha Apollo Hospital and has trained over 300 national and international orthopedic surgeons.
- Dr. Vaishya is known to have introduced the personalized knee surgery plan that uses a customized patient-centric approach for arthroplasty.
- Dr. Raju Vaishya regularly attends national and international scientific meetings and gets invited to speak and deliver talks at such conferences and seminars. He has chaired various orthopedic and arthroscopic sessions and delivered presentations.
- He has done a large number of research on the different aspects of Arthroscopy and joint replacement procedures. His work has been published in renowned peer-reviewed journals and holds the credit for over 175 publications in national and international journals and medical textbooks.
- Dr. Raju Vaishya’s name has been featured in the Limca Book of Records four times for his contributions towards orthopedics.
- An esteemed member of numerous medical associations and organizations, Dr. Vaishya is a well known name in orthopedic surgery of the world.
- Dr. Ashok Rajgopal is often considered the best Orthopedic Surgeon in India. He was awarded the Padma Shri by the President of India in 2014 for his impeccable service to Orthopedics in India.
- He is a highly knowledgeable and skilled orthopedic surgeon with more than 25,000 Total Knee Replacement surgeries to his name. He also holds the credit for more than 3200 joint replacement surgeries and over 9950 arthroscopic surgeries and 28,000 arthroplasties.
- He holds a unique stint of performing 28 Total Knee Replacement surgeries in less than 12 hours and has achieved several other milestones in his career.
- Dr. Raman Kant Aggarwal is a leading Orthopedic Surgeon with expertise in the management and treatment of shoulders and sports injuries.
- He has been performing orthopedic surgeries for the shoulder and sports injuries for more than 26 years and has experience in performing all kinds of replacement and reconstruction surgeries of the shoulders and upper limbs.
- He holds the credit for performing the highest number of total shoulder replacement surgery and shoulder arthroscopy in Delhi and NCR.
- Dr. Ramani Narasimhan is a leading Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon in Delhi and one of the best in India for the treatment of all kinds of pediatric orthopedic disorders.
- He specializes primarily in pediatric hip and spine surgery among other orthopedic procedures that include deformity correction surgery, joints, and bone repair and replacement, and surgery for sports injuries, fractures, and trauma. limb deficiency has been published in renowned national and international journals.
- Dr. Ramneek Mahajan is a well-known name in the field of Orthopedics and Joint Replacement surgery in India.
- His expertise lies in Primary and Revision Joint replacement surgeries and Arthroscopy. He has performed over 10000 orthopedic surgeries till date and also holds the credit for more than 2500 joint replacement surgeries.
- Dr. Mahajan received his Fellowship training in Arthroscopy and Joint Replacement from prestigious orthopedic centers in Singapore, Australia, and Germany.
- Dr. S K S Marya is a highly renowned and acclaimed Orthopedic Surgeon in India and has performed over 15,000 joint replacement surgeries till date.
- He is one of the most experienced orthopedic surgeons specializing in joint replacement surgery of upper and lower limb joints (both primary and revision) and Trauma management according to AO principles.
- His surgical career in numbers is quite high with 3500 simultaneous knee replacement surgeries and over 3000 hip replacement surgeries.
- Dr. Sajan K Hegde is an Orthopedic & Spine Surgeon with 33+ years of experience and is known for performing spine and joint surgeries using the latest technological advancements like minimally invasive sacroiliac joint fusion and cervical artificial disc.
- He has initiated many modern instrumentation systems in India including Cotrel, BAK cages, Harms Mesh Systems, and more.
- Dr. Hedge holds expertise in surgical and non-surgical spine treatments, tackling trauma, et al.
- Dr. Attique Vasdev is a renowned Orthopedic surgeon specializing in Knee surgeries.
- Currently he is the Director of Knee Unit at Bone and Joint Institute of Medanta- The Medicity and has been instrumental in starting the unit as well.
- Along with performing surgeries for all kinds of knee related diseases and disorders, he is also trained to perform sports injury surgeries.
- His principal area of interest lies in Knee replacement, Arthroscopic surgery, ligament reconstruction surgeries and Knee Osteotomy.
- Dr. Vasdev holds an immense experience of more than 25 years in knee surgeries and knee procedures. He is among the very few orthopedic surgeons in India focusing primarily in knee-related disorders.
- He organizes workshops and takes part in various CMEs and seminars where he gives live demonstration on various knee surgeries.
- He has been an invitee to various orthopedic conferences and meetings both in the national and international forum.
- Dr. Yash Gulati is a leading Orthopedic Surgeon and one of the best hip and knee replacement surgeons in India.
- For his contributions towards orthopedics in India, he was awarded the Padma Shri in 2009 and is the youngest orthopedic surgeon to receive the honor.
- Dr. Yash Gulati is an expert in all types of hip, knee, and spine joint replacement surgeries and holds the credit for performing the highest number of total knee replacements with I- Assist Navigation technique in India. He also performed the largest number of total hip replacement surgeries for Sickle Cell disease.
- With several firsts to his name, Dr. Gulati performed the first-ever total hip replacement surgery on the youngest patient in India. He pioneered the Gyroscope-based Computer Navigation Knee Replacement surgery in India and is the best in the procedure.
- He holds more than 2 decades of experience in primary and revision total hip and knee replacement surgeries and has performed a large number of complex surgeries with excellent outcomes.
- Dr. Yash Gulatiis one of the very few surgeons in India to perform Minimally Invasive Transforaminal Interbody Fusion surgeries.
- Dr. Gulati has been associated with prestigious and the best orthopedic hospitals in India. He is the orthopedic surgeon for the President of India and has also performed surgeries on some of the notable personalities of the country.
- He is also an experienced sports surgeon and holds a Diploma in Sports Medicine. He has performed surgeries on some of the well-known sportsperson and athletes of India. He has also been an honorary orthopedic surgeon for the Border Security Forces and the Armed Forces.
- Dr. Yash Gulati is regularly invited as a speaker and presenter to attend conferences and seminars all over the world. He has delivered over 500 lectures at several national and international meetings. He also delivered orations on several occasions and has been appreciated and awarded for his work on numerous instances.
- He is also invited to various orthopedic workshops and CMEs where he has given live demonstrations of knee and hip replacement procedures both in India and other countries of the world. He did a live demonstration of microdiscectomy at the Indian Orthopedic Association Annual Conference held in Patna.
- He is a keen researcher and has been developing new and better techniques for orthopedic and joint replacement surgeries in India. His work has been published in renowned national and international medical journals.
- Dr. Gulati is also active in social work and has been associated with a number of NGOs to provide for the underprivileged. He also organizes free health camps to help poor and elderly patients with orthopedic care.
- Dr. Rajagopalan Krishnan is a well-known orthopedic and spine surgeon in India.
- He is one of the most highly accomplished and successful spine surgeons in Delhi performing more than 350 spine surgeries every year.
- He provides management and treatment of spinal disorders that includes disc and degenerative disorder, spinal tumor, spinal fractures, spinal trauma, and spinal infections.
Best Hospitals in India for Rheumatoid Arthritis treatment
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital is a 700-bedded multispecialty hospital in the heart of the capital of India. It is a part of Apollo Hospital group, one of India’s most reputed healthcare chains. Indraprastha Apollo Hospital has been accredited by Joint Commission International, making it the first internationally accredited hospital in the country in 2005.
- There are 52 specialties in the hospital with one of the best cardiology centers in the country. The hospital is also equipped with State of the art infrastructure facilities with the largest Sleep Lab in Asia and the largest number of ICU bed facilities in India.
- The hospital also has one of the largest dialysis units in India along with a dedicated Bone Marrow Transplant unit.
- The latest and highly advanced technologies that are installed in the hospital include Da Vinci Robotic Surgery System, PET-MR, PET-CT, Cobalt-based HDR Brachytherapy, Brain Lab Navigation System, Tilting MRI, Portable CT scanner, 3 Tesla MRI, 128 Slice CT scanner, DSA Lab, Endosonography, Hyperbaric Chamber and Fibro scan.
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute is a multi-super-specialty, quaternary care hospital with 1000 beds. The hospital comprises reputed clinicians, and international faculty and is also equipped with cutting-edge technology. The hospital is a part of Fortis Healthcare Limited, a reputed chain of private hospitals in India.
- It is a NABH-accredited hospital that is spread across 11 acres of land and has a capacity of 1000 beds. The hospital has 55 specialties and is one of the premier health care centers in the Asia Pacific region popularly known as “the Mecca of Healthcare”.
- The hospital has 260 diagnostic centers and is also equipped with the latest and advanced techniques that include 3 Telsa which is the world’s first Digital MRI technology. The hospital also has world-class Radiation Therapy techniques which have been developed by leading technology experts from Elekta and Brain Lab.
Apollo Hospital, Chennai
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, is one of the best hospitals for heart care in India. Over the years, Apollo has expanded all over India, as a healthcare chain.
- India’s first ‘Only Pancreas’ transplant was performed in Apollo Hospital. The hospital is known for successfully performing Asia’s first en-bloc combined heart and liver transplant, and over the years, it has attained a remarkable achievement in the global healthcare space. Around 3-4 organ transplants are performed in the hospital per day.
- Equipped with over 500 beds, this hospital in Chennai was established in 1983 and since then has been among the most preferred hospital for patients from all over the world.
- The hospital holds accreditation of the NABH and JCI and is the first hospital in India to be ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certified. It is also the first South Indian Hospital to receive subsequent reaccreditation from the JCI USA 4 times.
Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon
- One of India’s best and largest multi-specialty hospitals, Medanta was built with the aim to bring India to the highest standards of medical care. The hospital has been providing the best medical services to its patients, since its inception, with care, commitment, and compassion.
- Equipped with 1250 beds, the hospital was founded by Dr. Naresh Trehan in the year 2009 with an aim to provide the best medical care at affordable costs. The hospital is spread across 43 acres and includes 45 operation theatres and 350 beds dedicated solely to ICU. The hospital includes over 800 doctors, and more than 22 specialty departments and has a dedicated floor for individual specialty in order to offer the best services under one roof.
- The hospital is considered one of the premier institutes in India for Cardiac Care and includes staffs and members of high caliber. The hospital has 6 distinct centers of excellence.
Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- One of the well-regarded providers in India committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence and patient care, Max Super Specialty Hospital is a part of Max Healthcare, which is the second-largest healthcare chain in India. Regarded as one of the most well-regarded healthcare providers in the country, Max Super Specialty Hospital is committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence as well as patient care. The hospital is also equipped with the latest technology as well as cutting-edge research. The hospital is known to deliver and ensure the highest level of patient care.
- The hospital has more than 500 beds and offers treatment for over 35 specialties. The hospital also holds the credit of having installed the first Brain Suite in Asia. This is a highly advanced Neurosurgical machine that allows MRI to be taken while surgery is ongoing.
- Other advanced and latest technologies are also installed in the hospital such as the 1.5 Tesla MRI machine, 64 Slice CT Angiography, 4D ECHO, LINAC, and 3.5T MRI machine.
Artemis Hospital, Gurugram
- One of the most well-known hospitals in the Delhi NCR, Artemis Hospital is the first hospital in Gurugram to get accredited by the Joint Commission International.
- With more than 40 specialties, the hospital has been designed to be one of the most technically advanced hospitals in the country, with the best medical and surgical health care. The hospital has eleven special and dedicated centers, for Heart, Cancer, Neurosciences, etc.
- The latest technologies in the hospital include Endovascular Hybrid Operating Suite and Flat panel Cath Labs for the cardiovascular department, 3 Tesla MRI, 16 slice PET CT, 64 Slice Cardiac CT Scan, HDR Brachytherapy, and highly advanced Image Guided Radiation Therapy techniques (LINAC) are installed in the hospital.
- The hospital has won several awards as well, since its inception.
BLK Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- Equipped with 650 beds, BLK Superspecialty Hospital is the largest stand-alone private sector hospital in Delhi.
- With over 1500 healthcare providers and 150 globally renowned super specialists, the hospital is one of Asia’s largest Bone Marrow Transplant Centres. The hospital is known for having some of the best cancer doctors in the country.
- The hospital is NABH and NABL accredited and was inaugurated by the first Prime Minister of India. Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru.
Gleneagles Global Hospitals, Chennai
- Established in 1999, Gleneagles Global Hospital, Chennai, is one of the top healthcare facilities in Southern India. It is part of the Gleneagles Hospital Chain, which is the fourth largest healthcare chain in the country. The hospital specializes in multi-organ transplants of kidneys, liver, lungs, heart, etc.
- The hospital has an excellent infrastructure and state-of-the-art lab and equipment set-up. The hospital boasts cutting-edge technologies, a highly skilled team of doctors and surgeons, and trained support staff. Located in Perumbakam, Chennai, it is one of India’s premier health care destinations. The hospital has performed some of the most complex surgical and clinical procedures in India including multi-organ transplantations.
- The hospital’s lung transplantation program is one of the best in the country. The hospital is known for having performed India’s first single lung transplant and first minimal invasive lung transplant. It is also the only Indian hospital to be associated with King’s College Hospital, London, United Kingdom for liver transplantations.
Fortis Hospital, Mulund, Mumbai
- Fortis Hospital in Mulund is a 315-bed multi-speciality tertiary care hospital with five JCI accreditations that offers a wide variety of diagnostic and therapeutic services. The Fortis Hospital in Mulund delivers patient-centred treatment with cutting-edge technology, highly skilled and experienced surgeons, and paramedical staff.
- This institution houses Maharashtra’s largest multi-organ transplant centre. It is also the first heart transplant centre in western India to conduct 100 or more consecutive heart transplants in under four years. It is the only hospital in the city to have multi-organ transplants and has handled the youngest patient for angioplasty. Fortis Hospital Mulund now boasts the first advanced surgical robot in central Mumbai.
- Cardiology and heart surgery, urology, nephrology, neurosciences, orthopaedics, digestive care, emergency and critical care, and maternity care are among the services provided by the hospital.
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Named after the wife of Indian industrialist Dhirubhai Ambani, the founder of Reliance Industries, this is one of the top hospitals in Mumbai. This 750-bed multi-specialty hospital became operational in 2009. Known as one of India’s most advanced tertiary care facilities, the hospital is designed to raise India’s global standing as a healthcare hub, with an emphasis on excellence in clinical services.
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital uses Protocol and Care Pathway based treatment models to ensure the best outcomes for patients.
- The hospital represents a confluence of top-notch talent, cutting-edge technology, state-of-the-art infrastructure, and, most importantly commitment.
- The hospital also holds the accreditation of the NABH, NABL, CAP, and JCI.
- The hospital has been recognized as the No. 1 Multispecialty Hospital in Mumbai and the West Zone for the fifth year in a row in 2020 by The Week.
A chronic, inflammatory disorder affecting more than just joints is called rheumatoid arthritis. It can damage a wide variety of body systems in some people, like lungs, skin, heart, eyes and blood vessels. It is an autoimmune disorder that takes place when the immune system attacks its own body tissues mistakenly. The condition affects the lining of the joints. This causes a painful swelling resulting in joint deformity and bone erosion.
Causes of Rheumatoid Arthritis
When your immune system attacks the synovium (the lining of the membranes surrounding the joints), it causes rheumatoid arthritis. The synovium thickens due to the resulting inflammation that destroys the cartilage and bone within the joint. The ligament and the tendons hold the joint together. In rheumatoid arthritis, they weaken and stretch. The joint loses its shape & alignment because of this. Your genes don’t cause the disease but make you susceptible to environmental factors like an infection from bacteria and viruses which trigger the disease.
Symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis
The symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis may be:
- Joint stiffness that worsens in the morning or after an inactivity.
- Warm, tender and swollen joints.
- Fever, fatigue and loss of appetite.
In the initial stages, the disease affects the smaller joints, especially the joints attaching your fingers to the hands and the toes to the feet. With the progression of the disease, symptoms start spreading to the ankles, wrists, elbows, knees, shoulders, and hips. The symptoms may also occur on the same joints on both sides of the body in some cases. A significant number of people suffering from rheumatoid arthritis experience other signs and symptoms without the involvement of the joints. The disease may affect other non-joint structures like heart, skin, bone marrow, eyes, salivary glands, blood vessels, lungs, nerve tissue and kidneys.
The symptoms vary in severity and the person may or may not experience the symptoms at times. There might be a period of increased disease activity or a period of relative remissions when the pain and swelling disappear. The disease may cause the joints to reform and ultimately, shift from their place to some other.
Diagnosis of Rheumatoid Arthritis
The disease is difficult to diagnose initially. However, your doctor can check your joints for redness, swelling and warmth during physical examination along with checking the muscle strength and your reflexes.
People who suffer from rheumatoid arthritis experience increased ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) or CRP (C-reactive protein). This indicates that an inflammatory process is present in the body. Other blood tests may include looking for the anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide (anti-CCP) antibodies or rheumatoid factor.
Your doctor may ask you to take X-rays to aid in tracking the progression of the disease in the joints of your body over time. Ultrasound tests and MRI help your doctor understand the severity of rheumatoid arthritis in your body.
Treatment options for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Steroids- Corticosteroid medications like prednisolone reduce pain, inflammation and slow down the damage to the joints. The side effects of these drugs include weight gain, thinning of bones and diabetes. Your doctor may prescribe corticosteroids to relieve the acute symptoms.
- NSAIDs- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) reduce the inflammation and relieve the pain in your body. Your doctor may prescribe stronger NSAIDs to you. The side effects of these drugs are heart problems, stomach irritation and kidney damage.
- DMARDs- Disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs slow down the progression of the disease while saving the joints and tissues from permanent damage due to rheumatoid arthritis. The most common disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs are leflunomide (Arava), methotrexate (otrexup, trexall), sulfasalazine (Azulfidine) and hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil). The side effects of these drugs may be bone marrow suppression, liver damage and severe lung infections.
- Biologic agents- Biologic agents or biologic response modifiers are a new class of disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs and include adalimumab (Humira), baricitinib (Olumiant), etanercept (Enbrel), infliximab (Remicade), sarilumab (Kevzara), tofacitinib (Xeljanz), abatacept (Orencia), certolizumab (Cimzia), golimumab (Simponi), rituximab (Rituxan), tocilizumab (Actemra), and anakinra (Kineret).
They target some parts of the immune system triggering inflammation and causing joint & tissue damage. These drugs also increase the risk of infection. Biologic DMARDs are the most effective upon pairing with a nonbiologic DMARD like methotrexate.
Synovectomy is performed on hips, knees, wrists, elbows and fingers; it removes the inflamed lining of the joint called synovium.
Joint damage and inflammation cause the tendons around your joints to rupture or loosen. Your doctor will repair the tendons around the joints.
Your doctor may recommend surgically fusing a joint to realign or stabilize a joint. It also relieves pain when joint replacement is not a favorable option.
Total joint replacement
Your doctor or surgeon may remove the damaged parts of the joint during the surgery and replace them by inserting a prosthesis made from plastic and metal.
Risks and complications
There is an equal risk of infection, bleeding and pain during surgeries. Your doctor may recommend the surgery best suited for you according to your condition and severity of the disease. You can also discuss the benefits and possible risks of each surgery before opting for one with your doctor.