Best Prostate Cancer treatment Doctors in India
- One of the outstanding doctors in the field of Urology, Dr. Anshuman Agarwal has spent 23+ years perfecting Robotic surgery and Laparoscopic surgery for urological cancer in India.
- He is an expert in minimal access surgery which includes Holmium laser surgery for Prostate (HOLEP) and PCNL, and RIRS for stones.
- Dr. Anshuman Agarwal has been a Senior Consultant in Fortis Hospital, RG Stone Hospital, and Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute and is currently functioning as a Senior consultant Urologist with Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, New Delhi which is a state-of-the-art urology facility.
- Dr. Anshuman Agarwal has performed over 200 robotic surgeries for Prostate Cancer, Kidney, and Bladder and is known as one of the most renowned urologists in New Delhi.
- Dr. Gagan Gautam is considered among the best Uro Oncology surgeons of the country and has performed more than 700 surgeries related to kidney, prostate and urinary bladder cancer.
- He has worked at the leading cancer centers of the world and also trained at some of the best cancer hospitals.
- Dr. Gautam is renowned for using robotic procedures during uro cancer surgeries and is among the very few doctors in India who are highly skilled in Robotic uro surgery.
- Dr. Vedant Kabra is a reputed Surgical Oncologist with specializations in the surgical treatment of breast, head and neck, thoracic, urological, and GI cancers.
- He has more than 20 years of experience in the field and has performed more than 12,000 cancer surgeries related to breast, GI, head, and neck, and Thoracic and GI cancers.
- Dr. Sameer Kaul is a surgical oncologist at Apollo Cancer Institute of Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- He is the head of an independent Surgical Oncology Unit that comprises senior and junior consultants along with oncology nurses and other staff.
- Dr. Kaul performs all kinds of cancer surgeries related to the head and neck, breast, thoracic region, GI, genitourinary, soft tissues, and bones.
- He has 26+ years of experience in Surgical Oncology and has received his training from leading cancer centers of the world.
- Prior to joining Apollo, Dr. Sameer Kaul served in various other hospitals in India taking up different cancer cases and providing successful treatment.
- Dr. Sameer Kaul has extensive experience in Robotic surgeries and performs several of his procedures through Robotic techniques.
- He constantly works towards providing the best cancer care to the underprivileged section of society and therefore founded BCPBF – The Cancer Foundation, an NGO that works towards spreading cancer awareness.
- Dr. Kaul has been responsible for bringing various new and advanced techniques for cancer treatment to the country.
- He popularized Radio Frequency Ablation, Reconstruction for CA breast, and Post insertion in India
- Dr. Ramesh Sarin is one of the best surgical oncologists in India, with a mammoth experience of 49 years.
- Furthermore, the veteran oncologist focuses on managing breast cancer and related disorders like sentinel node biopsy.
- She is also interested in Phyaryngeal Cancer, Uterine Cancer, Bladder Cancer, Cervical Cancer, Liver Cancer, Fallopian Tube Cancer, Bone Cancer, Lung Cancer, Colon and Rectal Cancer, Lymphedema, and Brain Cancer.
- Dr. Anant Kumar is one of the finest urology and kidney transplant doctors in India.
- Dr. Kumar specializes in Kidney Transplantation, Robotic Assisted Laparoscopic Urology, Renovascular Hypertension, Laparoscopic Urology, Urological Oncology, Laser Urological Surgery, and Reconstructive Urology.
- He has performed over 3500 kidney transplants and over 2000 lap donor nephrectomy procedures over the span of 3 decades.
- One of the finest oncologists in India, Dr. Ruqaya Ahmad Mir has been practicing surgical oncology for the past 20 years and is currently functioning as a Senior Consultant, Oncology at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi.
- Dr. Ruqaya Mir is known for her outstanding performance in some of the advanced surgical techniques which include Uterus and Ovary and Limb Conservation surgery and Cytoreductive surgery and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal chemotherapy for advanced colorectal and recurrent ovarian malignancies.
- She is also a well trained Robotic Surgeon practicing implementation of minimal invasion in surgical oncology.
- Dr. Rakesh Jalali has been one of the top Radiation Oncologists in the country due to his utter dedication to Cancer Research and Education.
- He has been awarded the Oncologist Award by Medscape in 2014 and also received the top radiation oncologist award for consecutive 3 years from 2014 onwards.
- Over the years of his career, he has conducted path-breaking research to enhance the quality of cancer treatment.
- Dr. Sanjay Gogoi is a renowned Urologist with over 20 years of experience, He is an expert in minimally invasive transplant techniques of Laparoscopic and Robotic-Assisted Transplantation.
- He is also trained in Robotic surgery at da Vinci Training Center, Intuitive Surgical, California. With over six years of experience in doing Robotic Cancer surgeries on the Kidney, Bladder, Prostate, Adrenal, etc., Dr. Sanjay Gogoi is an expert in Robotic reconstructive procedures of kidneys, ureters, and bladder, as well, as in adults as well as pediatric patients.
Best Prostate Cancer Treatment Hospitals in India
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital is a 700-bedded multispecialty hospital in the heart of the capital of India. It is a part of Apollo Hospital group, one of India’s most reputed healthcare chains. Indraprastha Apollo Hospital has been accredited by Joint Commission International, making it the first internationally accredited hospital in the country in 2005.
- There are 52 specialties in the hospital with one of the best cardiology centers in the country. The hospital is also equipped with State of the art infrastructure facilities with the largest Sleep Lab in Asia and the largest number of ICU bed facilities in India.
- The hospital also has one of the largest dialysis units in India along with a dedicated Bone Marrow Transplant unit.
- The latest and highly advanced technologies that are installed in the hospital include Da Vinci Robotic Surgery System, PET-MR, PET-CT, Cobalt-based HDR Brachytherapy, Brain Lab Navigation System, Tilting MRI, Portable CT scanner, 3 Tesla MRI, 128 Slice CT scanner, DSA Lab, Endosonography, Hyperbaric Chamber and Fibro scan.
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute is a multi-super-specialty, quaternary care hospital with 1000 beds. The hospital comprises reputed clinicians, and international faculty and is also equipped with cutting-edge technology. The hospital is a part of Fortis Healthcare Limited, a reputed chain of private hospitals in India.
- It is a NABH-accredited hospital that is spread across 11 acres of land and has a capacity of 1000 beds. The hospital has 55 specialties and is one of the premier health care centers in the Asia Pacific region popularly known as “the Mecca of Healthcare”.
- The hospital has 260 diagnostic centers and is also equipped with the latest and advanced techniques that include 3 Telsa which is the world’s first Digital MRI technology. The hospital also has world-class Radiation Therapy techniques which have been developed by leading technology experts from Elekta and Brain Lab.
Apollo Hospital, Chennai
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, is one of the best hospitals for heart care in India. Over the years, Apollo has expanded all over India, as a healthcare chain.
- India’s first ‘Only Pancreas’ transplant was performed in Apollo Hospital. The hospital is known for successfully performing Asia’s first en-bloc combined heart and liver transplant, and over the years, it has attained a remarkable achievement in the global healthcare space. Around 3-4 organ transplants are performed in the hospital per day.
- Equipped with over 500 beds, this hospital in Chennai was established in 1983 and since then has been among the most preferred hospital for patients from all over the world.
- The hospital holds accreditation of the NABH and JCI and is the first hospital in India to be ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certified. It is also the first South Indian Hospital to receive subsequent reaccreditation from the JCI USA 4 times.
Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon
- One of India’s best and largest multi-specialty hospitals, Medanta was built with the aim to bring India to the highest standards of medical care. The hospital has been providing the best medical services to its patients, since its inception, with care, commitment, and compassion.
- Equipped with 1250 beds, the hospital was founded by Dr. Naresh Trehan in the year 2009 with an aim to provide the best medical care at affordable costs. The hospital is spread across 43 acres and includes 45 operation theatres and 350 beds dedicated solely to ICU. The hospital includes over 800 doctors, and more than 22 specialty departments and has a dedicated floor for individual specialty in order to offer the best services under one roof.
- The hospital is considered one of the premier institutes in India for Cardiac Care and includes staffs and members of high caliber. The hospital has 6 distinct centers of excellence.
Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- One of the well-regarded providers in India committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence and patient care, Max Super Specialty Hospital is a part of Max Healthcare, which is the second-largest healthcare chain in India. Regarded as one of the most well-regarded healthcare providers in the country, Max Super Specialty Hospital is committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence as well as patient care. The hospital is also equipped with the latest technology as well as cutting-edge research. The hospital is known to deliver and ensure the highest level of patient care.
- The hospital has more than 500 beds and offers treatment for over 35 specialties. The hospital also holds the credit of having installed the first Brain Suite in Asia. This is a highly advanced Neurosurgical machine that allows MRI to be taken while surgery is ongoing.
- Other advanced and latest technologies are also installed in the hospital such as the 1.5 Tesla MRI machine, 64 Slice CT Angiography, 4D ECHO, LINAC, and 3.5T MRI machine.
Artemis Hospital, Gurugram
- One of the most well-known hospitals in the Delhi NCR, Artemis Hospital is the first hospital in Gurugram to get accredited by the Joint Commission International.
- With more than 40 specialties, the hospital has been designed to be one of the most technically advanced hospitals in the country, with the best medical and surgical health care. The hospital has eleven special and dedicated centers, for Heart, Cancer, Neurosciences, etc.
- The latest technologies in the hospital include Endovascular Hybrid Operating Suite and Flat panel Cath Labs for the cardiovascular department, 3 Tesla MRI, 16 slice PET CT, 64 Slice Cardiac CT Scan, HDR Brachytherapy, and highly advanced Image Guided Radiation Therapy techniques (LINAC) are installed in the hospital.
- The hospital has won several awards as well, since its inception.
BLK Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- Equipped with 650 beds, BLK Superspecialty Hospital is the largest stand-alone private sector hospital in Delhi.
- With over 1500 healthcare providers and 150 globally renowned super specialists, the hospital is one of Asia’s largest Bone Marrow Transplant Centres. The hospital is known for having some of the best cancer doctors in the country.
- The hospital is NABH and NABL accredited and was inaugurated by the first Prime Minister of India. Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru.
Gleneagles Global Hospitals, Chennai
- Established in 1999, Gleneagles Global Hospital, Chennai, is one of the top healthcare facilities in Southern India. It is part of the Gleneagles Hospital Chain, which is the fourth largest healthcare chain in the country. The hospital specializes in multi-organ transplants of kidneys, liver, lungs, heart, etc.
- The hospital has an excellent infrastructure and state-of-the-art lab and equipment set-up. The hospital boasts cutting-edge technologies, a highly skilled team of doctors and surgeons, and trained support staff. Located in Perumbakam, Chennai, it is one of India’s premier health care destinations. The hospital has performed some of the most complex surgical and clinical procedures in India including multi-organ transplantations.
- The hospital’s lung transplantation program is one of the best in the country. The hospital is known for having performed India’s first single lung transplant and first minimal invasive lung transplant. It is also the only Indian hospital to be associated with King’s College Hospital, London, United Kingdom for liver transplantations.
Fortis Hospital, Mulund, Mumbai
- Fortis Hospital in Mulund is a 315-bed multi-speciality tertiary care hospital with five JCI accreditations that offers a wide variety of diagnostic and therapeutic services. The Fortis Hospital in Mulund delivers patient-centred treatment with cutting-edge technology, highly skilled and experienced surgeons, and paramedical staff.
- This institution houses Maharashtra’s largest multi-organ transplant centre. It is also the first heart transplant centre in western India to conduct 100 or more consecutive heart transplants in under four years. It is the only hospital in the city to have multi-organ transplants and has handled the youngest patient for angioplasty. Fortis Hospital Mulund now boasts the first advanced surgical robot in central Mumbai.
- Cardiology and heart surgery, urology, nephrology, neurosciences, orthopaedics, digestive care, emergency and critical care, and maternity care are among the services provided by the hospital.
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Named after the wife of Indian industrialist Dhirubhai Ambani, the founder of Reliance Industries, this is one of the top hospitals in Mumbai. This 750-bed multi-specialty hospital became operational in 2009. Known as one of India’s most advanced tertiary care facilities, the hospital is designed to raise India’s global standing as a healthcare hub, with an emphasis on excellence in clinical services.
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital uses Protocol and Care Pathway based treatment models to ensure the best outcomes for patients.
- The hospital represents a confluence of top-notch talent, cutting-edge technology, state-of-the-art infrastructure, and, most importantly commitment.
- The hospital also holds the accreditation of the NABH, NABL, CAP, and JCI.
- The hospital has been recognized as the No. 1 Multispecialty Hospital in Mumbai and the West Zone for the fifth year in a row in 2020 by The Week.
Signs & symptoms of Prostate Cancer
- Incontinence or frequent urination
- Pain during urination.
- Blood may be present in urine or semen.
- Pain in pelvis and lower abdomen.
- Pain or burning sensation during urination.
Prostate Cancer causes
- Prostate cancer rarely effects young men.
- Family history
- Overweight or Obesity
- In some cases, it has been noted that taller men are at higher risk than shorter men.
- Swelling or inflammation if the prostate gland.
- Risk of getting prostate cancer is slightly higher in men who have had a vasectomy.
Stages of Prostate Cancer
Stage 1: Cancer is at early stage and is growing. You still cant feel the tumor and it involves one-side of prostate or even less. PSA levels are low, and cancer cells still look like healthy cells (well-differentiated)
Stage 2: The tumor is still localized to prostate. PSA level is low to medium. Tumor may grow larger, cancer cells are mostly well-differentiated in earlier phases of stage 2.
Stage 3: In stage 3, PSA levels will be high, the cancer would be growing and may be of high grade too. Cancer may start spreading.
Stage 4: Cancer has spread beyond the prostate. First it reaches the Lymph node and through Lymph node, to other parts of the body.
Grading of Prostate Cancer
As discussed before, not all cases of prostate cancer require immediate treatment. Urgent treatment is recommended only in the case of high grade prostate cancers.
When the tissue sample is taken for biopsy and cancer is confirmed, the pathologists will evaluate the grade of cancer, that is, how fast the cancer is likely to spread. The most common score to measure the grade of prostate cance is called a Gleason score. Gleason score ranges from 2 to 10 where 10 would be extremely high grade prostate cancer. A scale of upto 6 is considered low grade cancer, 7 is considered medium and above 7-10 are high grade prostate cancers.
These days, genomic testings are also done to assess risk factors of Prostate Cancers.
Diagnosis of Prostate Cancer
PSA or Prostate Specific Antigen test
The patient will have high levels of a protein (PSA) that is released by prostate tissue in blood.
Digital rectal exam or DRE
The doctor feels the part by using his/her finger to find abnormal parts of the prostate.
Biomarker is a substance that is found in the blood, urine, or body tissues of a person with cancer. This test is called as the Biomarker test.
The patient undergoes trans-rectal ultrasound in which the picture of prostate gland is taken using sound waves that bounce off the prostate.
A small amount of tissue from the affected area is removed and send for examination. This is known as Biopsy.
Treatment of Prostate Cancer
Depending on the grades of the prostate cancer, further treatment plan in decided.
For low grade prostate cancers, your oncologist may decide to do Active Surveillance involving regular blood tests, rectal exams and biopsies. However, active surveillance may also be risky at times if the cancer suddenly grows between surveillance periods.
For Medium to High Grade Prostate Cancers, following interventions are commonly considered.
Laparoscopic or open radical prostatectomy
The surgeon makes one or more incisions in your lower abdomen and takes out the prostate glad.
Robotic radical prostatectomy
These days, high number of patients opt for Robotic Radical Prostatectomy where robotic arms conduct the surgeon with high degree of preciseness and the arm is controlled by the surgeon sitting at the console.
Patient undergoing Radical Prostatectomy could have erectile dysfunction and urinary incontinence. Your urologist will discuss the possible implications of the procedure with you. You can also discuss all your concerns.
Radiation Therapy is a kind of cancer treatment that uses high doses of radiation beams to kill cancer cells to shrink the tumors. Radiation kills the cancer cells by destroying the DNA. Cancer cells with damaged DNA fail to multiply and die. They are then removed by the body’s mechanism.
External Beam Radiation
These days, Stereotactic Radiosurgery is commonly used for highly precise and effective radiation doses to prostate cancers. The most popular SRS is Cyberknife Radisourgery. The Cyberknife is a highly advanced SRS machine which delivers robot-controlled radiation beams from 1400 different angles to the tumor. The machine adjusts against movement of the body and does little or no harm to surrounding healthy tissues. Cyberknife doesn’t have any cut and doesnt need any hospitalization. (Know more about Cyberknife Radiosurgery)
Brachytherapy is an internal beam radiation therapy technique where radiation seeds, the size of rice grains are placed in the prostate using a needle, guided by ultrasound imaging. The radioactive seeds keep emitting low dose radiation beams to the cancer over a long period of time. At one point, the seeds stop emitting radiation, but do not need to be removed.
Chemotherapy is the use of anti-cancer drug that helps to slow or stop the growth of rapidly dividing cells that cause cancer. It prevents the growth of rapidly dividing cells by killing the dividing cells.
Despite its side effects, chemo is still the most widely used cancer treatment option. Unlike radiation and surgery which treats cancer cells at particular locations, chemotherapy drugs can kill cancer cells that have metastated (spread) to different organs in the body (Read more on: Chemotherapy)
Prostate cancers rely on the hormone, Testosterone to grow. Hormone Therapy can stop producing Testosterone, thereby slowing or killing cancer cells of prostate.
*Testosterone is produced in Testicles. Sometimes, doctors can decide to surgically remove the testicles to inhibit testosterone production. The procedure is called Orchiectomy (Read more on: Hormone Therapy)
Cryosurgery or Cryoablation
Cryosurgery uses the principle of freezing and thawing to kill cancer cells. In cryosurgery, ultrasound guided needles are inserted in the prostate on the tumor and extremely cold gas is passed through the needles. Thereafter hot gas is passed again. The process of cooling and heating kills the cancer cells. Cryosurgery is generally used as an option when Radiation Therapy fails to be effective.
Immunotherapy (also called biologic therapy) is a new type of cancer treatment where the body’s immune system is boosted to help the body fight cancer by itself. Immunotherapy uses substances made by the body or in a laboratory to improve or restore immune system function ( Read more on: Immunotherapy)