Best Doctors in India for Penile Cancer Treatment
- Dr. Anant Kumar is one of the finest urology and kidney transplant doctors in India with over 35 years of experience, currently functioning as the Chairman of Uro-Oncology, Robotic & Kidney Transplantation at the Max Hospital at Saket, New Delhi.
- Dr. Kumar specializes in Kidney Transplantation, Robotic Assisted Laparoscopic Urology, Renovascular Hypertension, Laparoscopic Urology, Urological Oncology, Laser Urological Surgery, and Reconstructive Urology.
- He has performed over 3500 kidney transplants and over 2000 lap donors nephrectomy procedures over the span of 3 decades.
- Dr. Gagan Gautam is considered among the best Uro Oncology surgeons of the country and has performed more than 700 surgeries related to kidney, prostate and urinary bladder cancer.
- He has worked at the leading cancer centers of the world and also trained at some of the best cancer hospitals.
- Dr. Gautam is renowned for using robotic procedures during uro cancer surgeries and is among the very few doctors in India who are highly skilled in Robotic uro surgery.
- Dr. Vipin Arora is a well-known Urologist in Delhi who has been practicing for more than 30 years with success.
- Currently, he is working as a senior consultant for Urology & Andrology at Apollo Hospital, New Delhi.
- Dr. Arora specializes in prostate diseases, Uro-Oncological surgeries, and laparoscopy procedures. He is the frontrunner in Robotically- assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy, Urologic oncology.
- Dr. Arora pioneered the Robotic Prostate Surgery technique in India.
- He also offers CAPD, Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy, Flexible Ureteroscopy, Laser treatment, Polycystic Kidneys treatment, Cadaver and Live Renal Transplant, GU prosthetics, Stress Incontinence surgery TVT TOT, and TURP.
- One of the outstanding doctors in the field of Urology, Dr. Anshuman Agarwal has spent 23+ years perfecting Robotic surgery and Laparoscopic surgery for urological cancer in India.
- He is an expert in minimal access surgery which includes Holmium laser surgery for Prostate (HOLEP) and PCNL, and RIRS for stones.
- Dr. Anshuman Agarwal has been a Senior Consultant in Fortis Hospital, RG Stone Hospital, and Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute and is currently functioning as a Senior consultant Urologist with Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, New Delhi which is a state-of-the-art urology facility.
- Dr. Anshuman Agarwal has performed over 200 robotic surgeries for Prostate Cancer, Kidney, and Bladder and is known as one of the most renowned urologists in New Delhi.
- Dr. Sujit Chowdhary is one of the best Pediatric urologists in Delhi, India.
- He has been practicing for over 25 years and is currently working as a senior consultant for Pediatric Urology & Director of the Apollo Institute of Pediatric Sciences, New Delhi.
- Dr. Sujit Chowdhary also won many awards for his contributions to the field.
- The doctor and his team established a premier robotic pediatric urology program in the Asia-Pacific.
- His unit takes care of newborn surgeries, robotic surgery, minimally invasive surgery, and many other subspecialties of the field.
- Dr. Sujit Chowdhary’s published peer reviews and citations complemented his experiences. He has written about 90 peer reviews and 350 citations.
- Dr. Sanjay Gogoi is a renowned Urologist with over 20 years of experience, He is an expert in minimally invasive transplant techniques of Laparoscopic and Robotic-Assisted Transplantation.
- He is also trained in Robotic surgery at da Vinci Training Center, Intuitive Surgical, California. With over six years of experience in doing Robotic Cancer surgeries on the Kidney, Bladder, Prostate, Adrenal, etc., Dr. Sanjay Gogoi is an expert in Robotic reconstructive procedures of kidneys, ureters, and bladder, as well, as in adults as well as pediatric patients.
- Dr. Rajesh Taneja is one of the best Urologists in India, having experience of more than 27 years in the specialization. He is practicing at Apollo Hospitals, New Delhi as a senior consultant.
- Dr. Taneja specializes in surgeries to correct Congenital anomalies of urinary organs; Phimosis, PUJ Obstruction, Megaureter, Hydronephrosis, Vesicoureteric reflux (VUR), Hypospadias, Posterior Urethral Valves (PUV), Ectopia vesicae, and others.
- He is formally trained in the Robotic Surgical system and is one of the few urologists performing Robotic urological surgeries in India.
- Dr. Taneja has expertise in the Holmium Laser Enucleation of prostate technique.
- He has written numerous papers in national and international scientific publications.
- Dr. Rajesh Taneja also authored a book titled ‘Interstitial Cystitis’.
- Dr. Rajiv Yadav is a reputed urologist in India with great experience in Prostate, Kidney & Urinary bladder disorders.
- His clinical focus is on Robot-assisted Laparoscopic Surgery for Prostate Cancer, Kidney Cancer, and Urinary bladder cancers.
- He completed his training at the most prestigious institutes including AIIMS, Delhi & Weill Cornell Medical & New York-Presbyterian Hospital, USA.
- Dr. Suresh Kuamr Rawat is one of the best Urologists in India, having a grand experience of 42 years in the field.
- His services extend into prostrate laparoscopy, TUIP, TURP, minimally invasive surgery, etc.
- Dr. Suresh Rawat is practicing as a consultant with the Department of Urology at Apollo Hospitals, New Delhi.
- Dr. Rawat specializes in neuromuscular disorders, Andrology, and complex urological surgeries. He is an expert doctor for Endourology, Uro oncology, Reconstructive Urology, Female Urology, and Pediatric Urological treatment.
- Dr. Rajesh Ahlawat is one of India’s top kidney transplant surgeons, who has worked in leading Institutions in North India and has established successful Minimally Invasive Urology programs including Robotic Surgery and Kidney Transplant services with excellent outcomes comparable to the best in the world.
- Throughout his career, Dr. Ahlawat has initiated and established four successful Urology and Renal Transplant programs in India
Best Hospitals in India for Penile Cancer Treatment
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital is a 700-bedded multispecialty hospital in the heart of the capital of India. It is a part of Apollo Hospital group, one of India’s most reputed healthcare chains. Indraprastha Apollo Hospital has been accredited by Joint Commission International, making it the first internationally accredited hospital in the country in 2005.
- There are 52 specialties in the hospital with one of the best cardiology centers in the country. The hospital is also equipped with State of the art infrastructure facilities with the largest Sleep Lab in Asia and the largest number of ICU bed facilities in India.
- The hospital also has one of the largest dialysis units in India along with a dedicated Bone Marrow Transplant unit.
- The latest and highly advanced technologies that are installed in the hospital include Da Vinci Robotic Surgery System, PET-MR, PET-CT, Cobalt-based HDR Brachytherapy, Brain Lab Navigation System, Tilting MRI, Portable CT scanner, 3 Tesla MRI, 128 Slice CT scanner, DSA Lab, Endosonography, Hyperbaric Chamber and Fibro scan.
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute is a multi-super-specialty, quaternary care hospital with 1000 beds. The hospital comprises reputed clinicians, and international faculty and is also equipped with cutting-edge technology. The hospital is a part of Fortis Healthcare Limited, a reputed chain of private hospitals in India.
- It is a NABH-accredited hospital that is spread across 11 acres of land and has a capacity of 1000 beds. The hospital has 55 specialties and is one of the premier health care centers in the Asia Pacific region popularly known as “the Mecca of Healthcare”.
- The hospital has 260 diagnostic centers and is also equipped with the latest and advanced techniques that include 3 Telsa which is the world’s first Digital MRI technology. The hospital also has world-class Radiation Therapy techniques which have been developed by leading technology experts from Elekta and Brain Lab.
Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon
- One of India’s best and largest multi-specialty hospitals, Medanta was built with the aim to bring India to the highest standards of medical care. The hospital has been providing the best medical services to its patients, since its inception, with care, commitment, and compassion.
- Equipped with 1250 beds, the hospital was founded by Dr. Naresh Trehan in the year 2009 with an aim to provide the best medical care at affordable costs. The hospital is spread across 43 acres and includes 45 operation theatres and 350 beds dedicated solely to ICU. The hospital includes over 800 doctors, and more than 22 specialty departments and has a dedicated floor for individual specialty in order to offer the best services under one roof.
- The hospital is considered one of the premier institutes in India for Cardiac Care and includes staffs and members of high caliber. The hospital has 6 distinct centers of excellence.
Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- One of the well-regarded providers in India committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence and patient care, Max Super Specialty Hospital is a part of Max Healthcare, which is the second-largest healthcare chain in India. Regarded as one of the most well-regarded healthcare providers in the country, Max Super Specialty Hospital is committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence as well as patient care. The hospital is also equipped with the latest technology as well as cutting-edge research. The hospital is known to deliver and ensure the highest level of patient care.
- The hospital has more than 500 beds and offers treatment for over 35 specialties. The hospital also holds the credit of having installed the first Brain Suite in Asia. This is a highly advanced Neurosurgical machine that allows MRI to be taken while surgery is ongoing.
- Other advanced and latest technologies are also installed in the hospital such as the 1.5 Tesla MRI machine, 64 Slice CT Angiography, 4D ECHO, LINAC, and 3.5T MRI machine.
Apollo Hospital, Chennai
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, is one of the best hospitals for heart care in India. Over the years, Apollo has expanded all over India, as a healthcare chain.
- India’s first ‘Only Pancreas’ transplant was performed in Apollo Hospital. The hospital is known for successfully performing Asia’s first en-bloc combined heart and liver transplant, and over the years, it has attained a remarkable achievement in the global healthcare space. Around 3-4 organ transplants are performed in the hospital per day.
- Equipped with over 500 beds, this hospital in Chennai was established in 1983 and since then has been among the most preferred hospital for patients from all over the world.
- The hospital holds accreditation of the NABH and JCI and is the first hospital in India to be ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certified. It is also the first South Indian Hospital to receive subsequent reaccreditation from the JCI USA 4 times.
Rela Hospital, Chennai
- RIMC is a multi-specialty hospital in a sprawling area of 36 acres located in Chromepet, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
- The facility has 450 beds including 130 critical care beds, 9 operating rooms, modern reference laboratories and radiology services, and is conveniently located near road, rail and air transportation.
- RIMC is led and managed by world-renowned physicians committed to healthcare.
- RIMC offers the broadest range of clinical care, education, and research. The hospital offers state-of-the-art technology and modern treatment facilities designed to provide health care at an affordable cost.
- Rela Institute is driven by patient needs, comfort and confidence.
Artemis Hospital, Gurugram
- One of the most well-known hospitals in the Delhi NCR, Artemis Hospital is the first hospital in Gurugram to get accredited by the Joint Commission International.
- With more than 40 specialties, the hospital has been designed to be one of the most technically advanced hospitals in the country, with the best medical and surgical health care. The hospital has eleven special and dedicated centers, for Heart, Cancer, Neurosciences, etc.
- The latest technologies in the hospital include Endovascular Hybrid Operating Suite and Flat panel Cath Labs for the cardiovascular department, 3 Tesla MRI, 16 slice PET CT, 64 Slice Cardiac CT Scan, HDR Brachytherapy, and highly advanced Image Guided Radiation Therapy techniques (LINAC) are installed in the hospital.
- The hospital has won several awards as well, since its inception.
BLK Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- Equipped with 650 beds, BLK Superspecialty Hospital is the largest stand-alone private sector hospital in Delhi. With over 1500 healthcare providers and 150 globally renowned super specialists, the hospital is one of Asia’s largest Bone Marrow Transplant Centres. The hospital is known for having some of the best cancer doctors in the country.
- The hospital is NABH and NABL accredited and was inaugurated by the first Prime Minister of India. Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru. It is one of the largest tertiary care private hospitals in India which was spread across 5 acres and has a capacity of 650 beds.
- The hospital has 80 consultation rooms spread across two floors, especially for OPD services.
- With one of the largest critical care programs, the hospital is equipped with 125 ICU beds specifically dedicated to the surgical, medical, neonatal, cardiac, pediatric, neuroscience and organ transplant units.
CARE Hospitals, Hyderabad
- CARE Hospitals were established in the year 2000, by CARE Group.
- The multispecialty hospital has 435 beds, including 120 critical care beds, with an annual inflow of 180000 outpatients and 16,000 in-patients.
- The hospital provides specialty medical services in Cardiology, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Pediatric Cardiology, Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Nephrology, and Urology.
- The hospital has the first dual source, 128 slice CT scanner (for high precision cardiac imaging) – the first of its kind in south India.
- The hospital offers a wide range of accommodation facilities for the convenience of its varied patient base, ranging from general wards to super deluxe rooms.
Fortis Hiranandani Hospital, Mumbai
- Fortis Hiranandani hospital was established in 2007.
- The hospital is an advanced tertiary care, multi-specialty hospital equipped with 149 beds.
- The hospital is equipped with a super ICU to provide emergency medical care to critically ill patients.
- The hospital is NABH accredited.
- The critical care facility in the hospital is augmented with the state-of-the-art facilities that facilitate speedier diagnosis and efficient monitoring.
- The hospital provides specialty medical services in cardiology, orthopedic science, pediatric science, neurology, diabetic care, urology, nephrology, ENT, obstetrics, gynecology, cosmetic surgery, bariatric surgery, neuro and spine care.
Penile Cancer is a relatively rare form of cancer, which is known to affect the skin and tissue of the penis. This condition occurs when healthy cells in the penis turn cancerous and grow out of control, forming a tumor. The cancer might spread to other areas of the body as well, including the glands, other organs, and lymph nodes.
It is better if penile cancer is detected earlier, as if found early, there is a good chance that there is going to be a successful treatment and cure. However, if the diagnosis is delayed, then the disease may get worse. Treatment for more advanced cancer might also be less successful and at the same time, more disfiguring.
People generally spot the disease early as they see and touch the penis while urinating. Men who are not circumcised are generally at a greater risk of penile cancer, though every man should be on the lookout for penile lesions.
If you notice any of these symptoms on your foreskin, or your shaft, or the head of the penis, then you should inform your healthcare provider. The symptoms include:
- An area of your skin becoming thicker or/and changing color
- A reddish, velvety rash
- An ulcer (sore) that may bleed
- A lump on the penis
- Small, crusty bumps
- A smelly discharge under your foreskin
- Flat, bluish-brown growths
Sometimes these signs might just be a bacterial or fungal infection or even an allergic reaction. All of these respond to antifungal or antibacterial ointments or creams. However, if any of these growths return or there are sores that don’t heal, then you must treat them as cancer until it is proven that they are not.
Penile cancer is generally ignored until it is advanced since most patients might feel reluctant or embarrassed to talk about their genitals. Sometimes patients might also feel afraid of treatment or surgery on their private parts. However, if you notice these signs please make sure, you let your health care provider know about it as soon as you can.
Causes & risk factors
Though the exact cause is not known, body fluids that get trapped in the foreskin are believed to cause penile tumors, and if they aren’t washed away routinely, they can lead to cancer-causing effects. Older men who are smokers are generally more likely to get penile cancer. Conditions such as AIDS can also lead to penile cancer.
Men who maintain proper hygiene, as well as men who are circumcised, are generally less likely to get penile cancer.
Some of the risk factors include:
- Being over the age of 60
- Practicing poor personal hygiene
- Living in a region with poor and improper sanitation and hygiene practices
- Smoking cigarettes
- Having a sexually transmitted infection, such as human papillomavirus (HPV).
To perform a diagnosis, your doctor will need to perform a physical exam and use certain diagnostic tests as well. During the physical exam, your doctor will need to look at your penis, and inspect any lumps, masses, or sores present.
If the biopsy results show any sign of cancer, then your doctor might want to perform a cystoscopy to check if cancer has spread. This procedure involves using an instrument called a cystoscope, which is equipped with a small camera and light at the end.
During the procedure, the doctor is going to insert the cystoscope into the penis opening and through the bladder. This is going to allow your doctor to view different areas of your penis as well as the surrounding structures, making it possible to determine whether cancer has spread or not.
If the cancer is detected early, it can be treated with success and low risk. If the tumor is at the top of the skin, it might be treatable with just skin cream. However, the cream has a few side effects. For small lesions, external beam radiation is also used.
Some of the other main forms of treatment include-
The above methods are used if the penile cancer is non-invasive. Surgery might be required if the cancer is invasive. It might involve removal of the tumor, entire penis, or lymph nodes in the pelvis and groin.
The surgery can be of various types-
Regardless of which type of surgery was performed, make sure to follow up with your doctor every two to four months during the first year after the surgery. If the entire penis is removed, you can talk to your doctor if penis reconstructive surgery is an option.
Your post-treatment experience generally depends on the stage of cancer when it was found. When the lesions are found early, then curing the cancer is almost certain. As the tumor becomes more advanced, then the cure becomes less certain.
If the cancer is found later, then the treatment might cause surgical side effects that might be difficult to deal with.