Best Doctors in India for Parathyroidectomy
- Dr. Deepak Sarin is a well-known Head and Neck Onco surgeon with a specialization in oral and throat cancers.
- His interest lies in minimally invasive surgeries for head and neck cancer and is also an expert in Robotic and Laser surgery.
- Earlier Dr. Deepak Sarin has been associated with Sir Ganga Ram Hospital in Delhi and Artemis Hospital in Gurugram. He holds the credit for establishing the Head and Neck surgery department in both the hospitals and also started the Head and Neck Surgery unit in Medanta.
- Dr. Sanjay Sachdeva is one of the most prominent ENT/ Otorhinolaryngologists in India with 30+ years of experience as a medical professional.
- He is currently working as the Senior Director in Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi.
- Dr. Sanjay Sachdeva has received multiple awards and accolades for his incredible achievements in the field of Otorhinolaryngology.
- Dr. Sabir Husain Ansari is one of the best ENT/ Otorhinolaryngology surgeons in India practicing at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital. He holds nearly 50 years of experience in treating Sinus infections, sebaceous cysts, Epistaxis, Tonsillitis, and otoplasty.
- Dr. Ansari also helps with the hearing & speech evaluations in both children and adults. Being a specialized ENT doctor for nearly 36 years, he has competence in Micro Ear Surgery, Middle Ear Endoscopic, Neck Surgery, Nasal Surgery, Otoneurology, Pediatric ENT, Micro Laryngeal Surgery, Hearing Implant procedure, Endoscopic Sinus Surgery, and more.
- With over 20 years of experience obtained in several parts of the world, including the UK, USA, etc. Dr. Ameet Kishore is known for providing the best treatment for all conditions of ear, nose, and throat, in children as well as adults.
- Dr. Ameet Kishore is quite experienced in otology and has performed microscopic ear surgeries for ear infections and reconstruction surgery for hearing. Having received his training from the National Center for Cochlear Implantation, he has extensive experience in managing deafness with cochlear implantation.
- Dr. Kishore has also set up the Cochlear Implant Program with a series of over 500 Cochlear Implants procedures in eight years. He is also one of India’s first surgeons who have carried out Auditory Brainstem Implantation.
- With experience in functional endoscopic sinus surgery, using specialized tools such as endoscopic camera systems, microdebrider, and balloon sinuplasty, he has also performed advanced endoscopic procedures.
- Dr. Ameet Kishore is also competent in treating child problems such as tonsils, glued ears, adenoids, as well as noisy and difficult breathing, as well as any problem that can affect the pediatric airway.
- Dr. Kumud Kumar Handa is a highly acclaimed ENT and Head and Neck Surgeon in India with specializations in Head and Neck cancer surgery.
- Dr. K K Handa’s expertise in the field of ENT is prominent with the 27 years of experience that he has in the field.
- His area of interest includes voice surgery, laser surgery, endoscopic sinus surgery, cochlear implant surgery, and head and neck surgery. He has helped in the treatment of a number of head and neck cancer patients with different types of cancer surgeries.
- Dr. Kalpana Nagpal is an ENT/Otorhinolaryngologist in India with extensive expertise. She has nearly three decades of experience in performing Microscopic and Endoscopic Surgeries for sinus infections, sebaceous cysts, epistaxis, tonsillitis, and otoplasty.
- Dr. Nagpal is a senior consultant for ENT at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital. She treats patients with congenital ear problems, orbital and optic nerve decompression, and tonsillectomy in both children and adults. Her area of expertise is Head & Neck Surgery.
- Dr. Nagpal also serves as the President of the Women Association of Otolaryngologists and is active in academics.
- Dr. Aru Chhabra Handa is a famous ENT surgeon practicing in Medanta, Gurugram who is trained in oto-rhino-layrngology. She has expertise in treating pediatric ENT patients.
- Highly experienced in all kinds of routine and advanced surgeries of the ear, nose, and throat, she is also an expert in rhinoplasty, micro ear surgery, neuro ontological disorders, endoscopic nasal and sinus surgery, as well as phono surgery.
- Throughout her career of over 23 years, Dr. Aru Chhabra Handa has served in various reputed hospitals in North India. She has also treated several cases related to tonsillitis, epistaxis, pharyngitis, ear infection, voice and speech disorders, and throat cancer.
- She is known to be among the few ENT specialists in India, specializing in adult as well as pediatric cases. She has also taken up several complex cases in her career before she joined Medanta.
- Dr. Handa also has around 40 publications in several international and national journals as well as book chapters. She is also known for being a panelist and guest faculty in several CMEs, workshops, and conferences.
- A reputed ENT specialist, Dr. Arvind Soni has over 30 years of experience. His expertise are endoscopic nasal and sinus surgery, which includes skull-based surgery.
- Throughout his career, Dr. Arvind Soni has performed over 1400 operations.
- Also having worked as an ENT specialist with the Ministry of Health in Saudi Arabia.
- Dr. Soni has been awarded the Gold Medal for best paper at the All Indian Rhinology Conference.
- Being one of the finest ENT doctors in Delhi, his clinic is equipped with all modern equipment.
- Dr. Dhingra is one of the best ENT surgeons in India with experience of over 45 years in the field.
- He is the senior consultant ENT with Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, New Delhi. The veteran doctor is practicing in the area since 1965 and specializes in Ear, Nose, Throat, and Head & Neck Surgery.
- Dr. P L Dhingra has a special interest in ear surgery for alleviating deafness, endoscopic surgery of the nose and sinuses, and Microsurgery for voice disorders.
- Dr. Dhingra has held many prominent positions in his career; that included Medical Superintendent of the University College of Medical Sciences and GTB Hospital, Delhi.
- He penned many books, including a self-assessment manual; and articles in national and international journals.
- Dr. Shashidhar TB is known as an exceptionally talented, hard-working, and dedicated consultant for ENT, head and neck surgery who has years of experience in handling challenging cases.
- His interests include airway reconstruction, treating swallowing disorders, sleep apnea surgery, general ENT along with pediatric ENT. He has also been the runner-up in the International Pediatric Otolaryngology conference for Best Paper Award.
Best Hospitals in India for Parathyroidectomy
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital is a 700-bedded multispecialty hospital in the heart of the capital of India. It is a part of Apollo Hospital group, one of India’s most reputed healthcare chains. Indraprastha Apollo Hospital has been accredited by Joint Commission International, making it the first internationally accredited hospital in the country in 2005.
- There are 52 specialties in the hospital with one of the best cardiology centers in the country. The hospital is also equipped with State of the art infrastructure facilities with the largest Sleep Lab in Asia and the largest number of ICU bed facilities in India.
- The hospital also has one of the largest dialysis units in India along with a dedicated Bone Marrow Transplant unit.
- The latest and highly advanced technologies that are installed in the hospital include Da Vinci Robotic Surgery System, PET-MR, PET-CT, Cobalt-based HDR Brachytherapy, Brain Lab Navigation System, Tilting MRI, Portable CT scanner, 3 Tesla MRI, 128 Slice CT scanner, DSA Lab, Endosonography, Hyperbaric Chamber and Fibro scan.
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute is a multi-super-specialty, quaternary care hospital with 1000 beds. The hospital comprises reputed clinicians, and international faculty and is also equipped with cutting-edge technology. The hospital is a part of Fortis Healthcare Limited, a reputed chain of private hospitals in India.
- It is a NABH-accredited hospital that is spread across 11 acres of land and has a capacity of 1000 beds. The hospital has 55 specialties and is one of the premier health care centers in the Asia Pacific region popularly known as “the Mecca of Healthcare”.
- The hospital has 260 diagnostic centers and is also equipped with the latest and advanced techniques that include 3 Telsa which is the world’s first Digital MRI technology. The hospital also has world-class Radiation Therapy techniques which have been developed by leading technology experts from Elekta and Brain Lab.
Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon
- One of India’s best and largest multi-specialty hospitals, Medanta was built with the aim to bring India to the highest standards of medical care. The hospital has been providing the best medical services to its patients, since its inception, with care, commitment, and compassion.
- Equipped with 1250 beds, the hospital was founded by Dr. Naresh Trehan in the year 2009 with an aim to provide the best medical care at affordable costs. The hospital is spread across 43 acres and includes 45 operation theatres and 350 beds dedicated solely to ICU. The hospital includes over 800 doctors, and more than 22 specialty departments and has a dedicated floor for individual specialty in order to offer the best services under one roof.
- The hospital is considered one of the premier institutes in India for Cardiac Care and includes staffs and members of high caliber. The hospital has 6 distinct centers of excellence.
Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- One of the well-regarded providers in India committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence and patient care, Max Super Specialty Hospital is a part of Max Healthcare, which is the second-largest healthcare chain in India. Regarded as one of the most well-regarded healthcare providers in the country, Max Super Specialty Hospital is committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence as well as patient care. The hospital is also equipped with the latest technology as well as cutting-edge research. The hospital is known to deliver and ensure the highest level of patient care.
- The hospital has more than 500 beds and offers treatment for over 35 specialties. The hospital also holds the credit of having installed the first Brain Suite in Asia. This is a highly advanced Neurosurgical machine that allows MRI to be taken while surgery is ongoing.
- Other advanced and latest technologies are also installed in the hospital such as the 1.5 Tesla MRI machine, 64 Slice CT Angiography, 4D ECHO, LINAC, and 3.5T MRI machine.
Fortis Escorts Hospital, New Delhi
- Over the last 33 years, the Fortis Escorts Heart Institute has set new standards in cardiac treatment with groundbreaking research. It is now known around the world as a centre of expertise for Cardiac Bypass Surgery, Interventional Cardiology, Non-invasive Cardiology, Paediatric Cardiology, and Paediatric Cardiac Surgery.
- The hospital has cutting-edge laboratories that perform a wide range of diagnostic tests in Nuclear Medicine, Radiology, Biochemistry, Haematology, Transfusion Medicine, and Microbiology.
- Fortis Escorts Heart Institute boasts a diverse group of bright and experienced doctors who are backed up by a team of highly qualified, experienced, and devoted support professionals as well as cutting-edge equipment such as the recently installed Dual CT Scan.
- Approximately 200 cardiac doctors and 1600 personnel currently collaborate to manage over 14,500 admissions and 7,200 emergency situations each year. The hospital now has a 310-bed infrastructure, as well as five cath labs and a slew of other world-class amenities.
Apollo Hospital, Chennai
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, is one of the best hospitals for heart care in India. Over the years, Apollo has expanded all over India, as a healthcare chain.
- India’s first ‘Only Pancreas’ transplant was performed in Apollo Hospital. The hospital is known for successfully performing Asia’s first en-bloc combined heart and liver transplant, and over the years, it has attained a remarkable achievement in the global healthcare space. Around 3-4 organ transplants are performed in the hospital per day.
- Equipped with over 500 beds, this hospital in Chennai was established in 1983 and since then has been among the most preferred hospital for patients from all over the world.
- The hospital holds accreditation of the NABH and JCI and is the first hospital in India to be ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certified. It is also the first South Indian Hospital to receive subsequent reaccreditation from the JCI USA 4 times.
Rela Hospital, Chennai
- RIMC is a multi-specialty hospital in a sprawling area of 36 acres located in Chromepet, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
- The facility has 450 beds including 130 critical care beds, 9 operating rooms, modern reference laboratories and radiology services, and is conveniently located near road, rail and air transportation.
- RIMC is led and managed by world-renowned physicians committed to healthcare.
- RIMC offers the broadest range of clinical care, education, and research. The hospital offers state-of-the-art technology and modern treatment facilities designed to provide health care at an affordable cost.
- Rela Institute is driven by patient needs, comfort and confidence.
Artemis Hospital, Gurugram
- One of the most well-known hospitals in the Delhi NCR, Artemis Hospital is the first hospital in Gurugram to get accredited by the Joint Commission International.
- With more than 40 specialties, the hospital has been designed to be one of the most technically advanced hospitals in the country, with the best medical and surgical health care. The hospital has eleven special and dedicated centers, for Heart, Cancer, Neurosciences, etc.
- The latest technologies in the hospital include Endovascular Hybrid Operating Suite and Flat panel Cath Labs for the cardiovascular department, 3 Tesla MRI, 16 slice PET CT, 64 Slice Cardiac CT Scan, HDR Brachytherapy, and highly advanced Image Guided Radiation Therapy techniques (LINAC) are installed in the hospital.
- The hospital has won several awards as well, since its inception.
CARE Hospitals, Hyderabad
- CARE Hospitals were established in the year 2000, by CARE Group.
- The multispecialty hospital has 435 beds, including 120 critical care beds, with an annual inflow of 180000 outpatients and 16,000 in-patients.
- The hospital provides specialty medical services in Cardiology, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Pediatric Cardiology, Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Nephrology, and Urology.
- The hospital has the first dual source, 128 slice CT scanner (for high precision cardiac imaging) – the first of its kind in south India.
- The hospital offers a wide range of accommodation facilities for the convenience of its varied patient base, ranging from general wards to super deluxe rooms.
Fortis Hiranandani Hospital, Mumbai
- Fortis Hiranandani hospital was established in 2007.
- The hospital is an advanced tertiary care, multi-specialty hospital equipped with 149 beds.
- The hospital is equipped with a super ICU to provide emergency medical care to critically ill patients.
- The hospital is NABH accredited.
- The critical care facility in the hospital is augmented with the state-of-the-art facilities that facilitate speedier diagnosis and efficient monitoring.
- The hospital provides specialty medical services in cardiology, orthopedic science, pediatric science, neurology, diabetic care, urology, nephrology, ENT, obstetrics, gynecology, cosmetic surgery, bariatric surgery, neuro and spine care.
Parathyroidectomy is the surgical removal of one or more of your parathyroid glands. The parathyroid glands are four rice-sized glands and they are located on the back of your neck’s thyroid gland. The parathyroid glands create the parathyroid hormone, which controls the calcium levels of the body.
For patients with hyperparathyroidism, one or more parathyroid glands can become enlarged and oversecrete parathyroid hormone, which can cause calcium levels in your blood to rise. Surgery of the enlarged gland is considered the only definitive treatment for the disorder and it is successful in around 95 percent of the cases.
Your healthcare provider might recommend you for this surgery if one or more of your parathyroid glands are producing too much parathyroid hormone. This condition is known as hyperparathyroidism. It is generally caused by a tiny non-cancerous tumor which is known as an adenoma.
Generally, several factors are considered by your surgeon before he/she recommends this surgery and what type of surgery is going to be best for you.
Some of these factors are:
- Your age
- Calcium levels in your urine and blood
- Whether you are showing any symptoms
Parathyroid glands are generally quite small. You might require tests to show exactly where your glands are. This will help your surgeon find your parathyroid glands during the surgery. Two tests that you might receive include a CT scan and an ultrasound.
Before surgery, an anesthesiologist will review your medical history with you to decide what kind of anesthesia to use.
Inform your doctor if you are or might be pregnant. Also let him/her known about what medicines, vitamins, herbs or other supplements that you are taking. Your doctor might also advise you to stop taking any blood thinners.
You will first receive general anesthesia for the surgery. First, an incision is made in the center of your neck. After this, your surgeon will be looking for the four parathyroid glands and remove any of them that are diseased.
In some rare cases, when all four of these glands require removal, part of one is transplanted into the forearm. Or it might also be transplanted into a muscle in the front of your neck next to the thyroid gland. This can help to ensure that your body’s calcium level stays at a healthy level.
The surgery can be of different types, depending on where the diseased parathyroid glands are. Types of surgery include:
Minimally invasive parathyroidectomy
Minimally invasive parathyroidectomy– You might receive a shot of a tiny amount of radioactive tracer before this surgery. This will help highlight your diseased glands. If you have this shot, your surgeon will use a special probe, for locating the parathyroid gland. Your surgeon will next make a small incision on one side of your neck, after which he/she will then remove the diseased gland through it. This procedure takes around an hour.
In video-assisted parathyroidectomy, your surgeon will first make two small cuts in your neck. One is for instruments, and the other one is for a camera. Your surgeon will be using the camera for viewing the area and will remove the diseased glands with the instruments.
Your surgeon will make two or three small cuts in the front of your neck and one cut above the top of your collarbone. This reduces visible scarring, pain and recovery time. This cut is usually less than 2 inches. The procedure for removing any parathyroid glands which are is quite similar to video-assisted Parathyroidectomy.
The procedure can take anywhere between 30 minutes to three hours after you are asleep. It generally depends on how quickly the doctors can find and confirm the removal of the abnormal gland.
After the procedure
Generally, people are able to go home the same day of the surgery. You might be able to start your everyday activities in a few days. It can take around three weeks for you to heal fully.
If you feel any numbness or tingling around your mouth for around 48 hours after the surgery, you need to inform your doctor.
You will also need to have routine blood checks to check your calcium level.
There might be risks of the anesthesia which can include:
- Reaction to medicines or breathing problems
- Bleeding, blood clots or infection
Risks of the procedure itself include:
- Injury to the thyroid gland
- The need to remove a portion of the thyroid gland
- Hypoparathyroidism. This can lead to low calcium levels which are dangerous to your health.
- Injury to your nerves going to the muscles that move the vocal cords. You might even end up with a hoarse or weaker voice which could be temporary or permanent.
- Though it is very rare, sometimes you can experience difficulty in breathing and it almost always goes away several weeks or months after surgery.