Best Permanent Pacemaker Implantation Doctors in India
- Dr. Amit Mittal is a cardiologist working at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital in New Delhi with experience of over 23 years in Interventional Cardiology.
- He is good to consult for Angiogram, Angioplasty, and Bypass Surgery. Dr. Mittal has performed over 15,000 cardiac procedures till now. He offers services like EPS and RFA procedures, pacemaker implantation, ECG, complex surgery of heart valve replacement, and angina treatment, to name a few.
- Apart from that, Dr. Mittal won a Gold medal in MBBS 1st y and for the highest marks in obstetrics and gynecology. He published many papers in national and international medical journals and chapters in textbooks.
- Dr. Arvind Das is an interventional cardiologist with expertise in all kinds of coronary and non-coronary interventions and electrophysiology.
- Dr. Arvind Das received his fellowship training in pacing and electrophysiology from the renowned Royal Melbourne Hospital in Australia. He has undergone training at Semelweiss Heart Centre, Budapest for Device Implantation.
- Dr. Arvind Das has years of knowledge and experience in various cardiac procedures and provides the best diagnostic and therapeutic treatment for all types of heart diseases and disorders.
- Dr. Asha Mahilmaran is a seasoned Interventional Cardiologist in Chennai, with more than three decades of expertise in the sector.
- She excelled in academics and was awarded a gold medal in medicine and cardiology.
- Dr. Mahilmaran offers Ventricular Septal Defect Surgery, Cardioversion, Carotid Artery Disease, Chest Pain Treatment, Cardiac Ablation, and Dextro-Transposition of the Great Arteries (DTGA), etc.
- Over the years, she has performed over 15,000 preventive heart checkups.
- Dr. Ashok Seth is one of the most well-known Interventional Cardiologists in India honored with both the Padma Shri and Padma Bhushan by the Government of India.
- He has more than 3 decades of experience in interventional cardiology and has performed over 20, 000 angioplasties and 50,000 angiograms till date.
- Dr. Seth holds a Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland, London, and Edinburgh along with several other degrees to his name.
- Dr. Balbir Singh is a reputed cardiologist with over 32 years of experience, considered a veteran in his field, both nationally and internationally.
- He has also pioneered several minimally invasive cardiology surgical techniques in India and has been honored with the prestigious Padma Shree Award for his exceptional performance.
- “LIMCA” Book of Records also highlighted Dr. Balbir Singh’s contribution to the medical field in the Indian Electrophysiology Journal.
- Dr. Jagdeep Yadav is one of the best cardiac surgeons in Gurugram. He is particularly interested in non-coronary therapies such as peripheral interventions and device closures.
- Dr. Jagdeep Yadav is skilled in using modern techniques in interventional cardiology and non-invasive cardiology procedures. He employs cutting-edge technologies such as IVUS, OCT, FFR, and IVL to make life better in complex cardiac therapies.
- Dr. Jamshed Dalal is a well-known Interventional Cardiologist who has over 45+ years of experience and specializes in Adult Interventional Cardiology.
- Dr. Jamshed Dalal is a highly recommended cardiologist for Angiography and performed his first coronary angiography in the year 1978 in UK.
- He specializes in various kinds of coronary and peripheral cardiac procedures and carries immense expertise in Angioplasty, intravascular ultrasound, Pacemaker Implantation, and FFR.
- Dr. K K Saxena is one of the top cardiologists in India, having nearly 36 years of experience in this field.
- He is a senior consultant for interventional cardiology at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital in New Delhi.
- Dr. Saxena diagnoses and treats cardiovascular problems in kids and adults. He is specialized in balloon dilation of the mitral and pulmonary valves, the renal and peripheral arteries, and aortic coarctation.
- Dr. Saxena and his team performed several cardiac catheterizations and pacemaker implantations.
- Prior to joining Apollo hospital, Dr. K K Saxena worked at many national and international hospitals.
- He also completed research in interventional cardiology at the Royal Adelaide Hospital, Australia.
- Dr. Karthigesan A M is a renowned Interventional Cardiologist with more than two decades of experience.
- He completed advanced training in cardiac arrhythmia in the USA to serve his patients in a better way.
- Dr. A M Karthigesan received several awards from prestigious associations for his contribution to the field.
- Dr. Karthigesan authored several research papers and articles in premier periodicals and presented papers at national conferences.
- Dr. Mahesh Chandra Garg is an Interventional cardiologist working at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital in New Delhi with experience of over five decades in the field. He has an interest in Cardiovascular Intervention and Imaging.
- Dr. Garg has specialized in Enhanced External Counterpulsation, Chest Pain Therapies, Diabetic Cardiovascular complexities, and Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery.
- He achieved excellence in invasive cardiology as a result of his participation in specialized training programs and conferences. Dr. Garg provides valuable care for his patients while also encouraging them to adopt a healthy lifestyle.
- He delivered presentations at numerous conferences and published papers in well-known national and international medical journals.
Best Pacemaker Implantation Hospitals in India
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital is a 700-bedded multispecialty hospital in the heart of the capital of India. It is a part of Apollo Hospital group, one of India’s most reputed healthcare chains. Indraprastha Apollo Hospital has been accredited by Joint Commission International, making it the first internationally accredited hospital in the country in 2005.
- There are 52 specialties in the hospital with one of the best cardiology centers in the country. The hospital is also equipped with State of the art infrastructure facilities with the largest Sleep Lab in Asia and the largest number of ICU bed facilities in India.
- The hospital also has one of the largest dialysis units in India along with a dedicated Bone Marrow Transplant unit.
- The latest and highly advanced technologies that are installed in the hospital include Da Vinci Robotic Surgery System, PET-MR, PET-CT, Cobalt-based HDR Brachytherapy, Brain Lab Navigation System, Tilting MRI, Portable CT scanner, 3 Tesla MRI, 128 Slice CT scanner, DSA Lab, Endosonography, Hyperbaric Chamber and Fibro scan.
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute is a multi-super-specialty, quaternary care hospital with 1000 beds. The hospital comprises reputed clinicians, and international faculty and is also equipped with cutting-edge technology. The hospital is a part of Fortis Healthcare Limited, a reputed chain of private hospitals in India.
- It is a NABH-accredited hospital that is spread across 11 acres of land and has a capacity of 1000 beds. The hospital has 55 specialties and is one of the premier health care centers in the Asia Pacific region popularly known as “the Mecca of Healthcare”.
- The hospital has 260 diagnostic centers and is also equipped with the latest and advanced techniques that include 3 Telsa which is the world’s first Digital MRI technology. The hospital also has world-class Radiation Therapy techniques which have been developed by leading technology experts from Elekta and Brain Lab.
Apollo Hospital, Chennai
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, is one of the best hospitals for heart care in India. Over the years, Apollo has expanded all over India, as a healthcare chain.
- India’s first ‘Only Pancreas’ transplant was performed in Apollo Hospital. The hospital is known for successfully performing Asia’s first en-bloc combined heart and liver transplant, and over the years, it has attained a remarkable achievement in the global healthcare space. Around 3-4 organ transplants are performed in the hospital per day.
- Equipped with over 500 beds, this hospital in Chennai was established in 1983 and since then has been among the most preferred hospital for patients from all over the world.
- The hospital holds accreditation of the NABH and JCI and is the first hospital in India to be ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certified. It is also the first South Indian Hospital to receive subsequent reaccreditation from the JCI USA 4 times.
Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon
- One of India’s best and largest multi-specialty hospitals, Medanta was built with the aim to bring India to the highest standards of medical care. The hospital has been providing the best medical services to its patients, since its inception, with care, commitment, and compassion.
- Equipped with 1250 beds, the hospital was founded by Dr. Naresh Trehan in the year 2009 with an aim to provide the best medical care at affordable costs. The hospital is spread across 43 acres and includes 45 operation theatres and 350 beds dedicated solely to ICU. The hospital includes over 800 doctors, and more than 22 specialty departments and has a dedicated floor for individual specialty in order to offer the best services under one roof.
- The hospital is considered one of the premier institutes in India for Cardiac Care and includes staffs and members of high caliber. The hospital has 6 distinct centers of excellence.
Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- One of the well-regarded providers in India committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence and patient care, Max Super Specialty Hospital is a part of Max Healthcare, which is the second-largest healthcare chain in India. Regarded as one of the most well-regarded healthcare providers in the country, Max Super Specialty Hospital is committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence as well as patient care. The hospital is also equipped with the latest technology as well as cutting-edge research. The hospital is known to deliver and ensure the highest level of patient care.
- The hospital has more than 500 beds and offers treatment for over 35 specialties. The hospital also holds the credit of having installed the first Brain Suite in Asia. This is a highly advanced Neurosurgical machine that allows MRI to be taken while surgery is ongoing.
- Other advanced and latest technologies are also installed in the hospital such as the 1.5 Tesla MRI machine, 64 Slice CT Angiography, 4D ECHO, LINAC, and 3.5T MRI machine.
Artemis Hospital, Gurugram
- One of the most well-known hospitals in the Delhi NCR, Artemis Hospital is the first hospital in Gurugram to get accredited by the Joint Commission International.
- With more than 40 specialties, the hospital has been designed to be one of the most technically advanced hospitals in the country, with the best medical and surgical health care. The hospital has eleven special and dedicated centers, for Heart, Cancer, Neurosciences, etc.
- The latest technologies in the hospital include Endovascular Hybrid Operating Suite and Flat panel Cath Labs for the cardiovascular department, 3 Tesla MRI, 16 slice PET CT, 64 Slice Cardiac CT Scan, HDR Brachytherapy, and highly advanced Image Guided Radiation Therapy techniques (LINAC) are installed in the hospital.
- The hospital has won several awards as well, since its inception.
BLK Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- Equipped with 650 beds, BLK Superspecialty Hospital is the largest stand-alone private sector hospital in Delhi.
- With over 1500 healthcare providers and 150 globally renowned super specialists, the hospital is one of Asia’s largest Bone Marrow Transplant Centres. The hospital is known for having some of the best cancer doctors in the country.
- The hospital is NABH and NABL accredited and was inaugurated by the first Prime Minister of India. Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru.
Gleneagles Global Hospitals, Chennai
- Established in 1999, Gleneagles Global Hospital, Chennai, is one of the top healthcare facilities in Southern India. It is part of the Gleneagles Hospital Chain, which is the fourth largest healthcare chain in the country. The hospital specializes in multi-organ transplants of kidneys, liver, lungs, heart, etc.
- The hospital has an excellent infrastructure and state-of-the-art lab and equipment set-up. The hospital boasts cutting-edge technologies, a highly skilled team of doctors and surgeons, and trained support staff. Located in Perumbakam, Chennai, it is one of India’s premier health care destinations. The hospital has performed some of the most complex surgical and clinical procedures in India including multi-organ transplantations.
- The hospital’s lung transplantation program is one of the best in the country. The hospital is known for having performed India’s first single lung transplant and first minimal invasive lung transplant. It is also the only Indian hospital to be associated with King’s College Hospital, London, United Kingdom for liver transplantations.
Fortis Hospital, Mulund, Mumbai
- Fortis Hospital in Mulund is a 315-bed multi-speciality tertiary care hospital with five JCI accreditations that offers a wide variety of diagnostic and therapeutic services. The Fortis Hospital in Mulund delivers patient-centred treatment with cutting-edge technology, highly skilled and experienced surgeons, and paramedical staff.
- This institution houses Maharashtra’s largest multi-organ transplant centre. It is also the first heart transplant centre in western India to conduct 100 or more consecutive heart transplants in under four years. It is the only hospital in the city to have multi-organ transplants and has handled the youngest patient for angioplasty. Fortis Hospital Mulund now boasts the first advanced surgical robot in central Mumbai.
- Cardiology and heart surgery, urology, nephrology, neurosciences, orthopaedics, digestive care, emergency and critical care, and maternity care are among the services provided by the hospital.
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Named after the wife of Indian industrialist Dhirubhai Ambani, the founder of Reliance Industries, this is one of the top hospitals in Mumbai. This 750-bed multi-specialty hospital became operational in 2009. Known as one of India’s most advanced tertiary care facilities, the hospital is designed to raise India’s global standing as a healthcare hub, with an emphasis on excellence in clinical services.
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital uses Protocol and Care Pathway based treatment models to ensure the best outcomes for patients.
- The hospital represents a confluence of top-notch talent, cutting-edge technology, state-of-the-art infrastructure, and, most importantly commitment.
- The hospital also holds the accreditation of the NABH, NABL, CAP, and JCI.
- The hospital has been recognized as the No. 1 Multispecialty Hospital in Mumbai and the West Zone for the fifth year in a row in 2020 by The Week.
Pacemaker is a small device that is implanted under the skin in the chest which monitors the heartbeat & controls the heart rhythm.
A pacemaker has two parts:
1. The pulse generator- This is small metal container that houses the battery & the electrical circuit that regulates the rate of electrical pulses sent to the heart.
2. Electrodes or leads- They are insulated wires placed in the heart chambers which delivers electrical pulses to adjust the heart rate.
Types of Pacemakers
There are three types of Pacemakers:
- Single Chamber Pacemaker- They carry electrical impulses from the generator to the right ventricle of the heart.
- Dual Chamber Pacemaker- They carry electrical impulses from the generator to the right atrium & right ventricle, both.
- Biventricular Pacemaker- They simulate the right & left ventricles both, so that the heart beats more efficiently. It is a treatment option for people suffering from heart failure.
Indications for Pacemaker
Pacemakers are used to treat the following:
- Heart failure
- Slow heart rhythms also known as bradyarrythmia.
Tests done before Pacemaker Implantation
Pacemaker Implantation procedure
Before the procedure
During the procedure
Pacemakers are implanted in 2 ways:
- Endocardial approach- This approach is commonly used for pacemaker implantation. In this approach, local anaesthesia is administered to numb the area where an incision is made. Through an incision the lead is inserted into a vein, then advanced to the heart with the help of the x-ray machine. One end of the lead is attached to the heart muscle, while the other end of the lead is attached to the pulse generator, which is placed in a pocket created under the skin in the upper chest.
- Epicardial approach- This approach is commonly used in children. In this approach, general anaesthesia is administered. One end of the lead is attached to the heart muscle, while the other end of the lead is attached to the pulse generator, which is placed in a pocket created under the skin in the abdomen.
After the procedure
- Avoid placing the cell phone directly over the pacemaker implantation site when the phone is turned on.
- Avoid leaning against a metal-detection system.
- If a doctor is considering any medical procedure that involves intensive exposure to electromagnetic energy like magnetic resonance imaging, therapeutic radiation for cancer treatment, tell him /her about the pacemaker implanted.
- Stand at least 2 feet from welding equipment, high-voltage transformers or motor-generator systems.
1. What is the recovery time for a pacemaker surgery?
The recovery time for a pacemaker surgery is 3-4 weeks.
2. Do cell phones interfere with pacemakers?
It is safe to use a mobile phone, but make sure it is kept at a distance of more than 6 inches from the pacemaker.
3. For how long do the pacemaker batteries last?
Most pacemaker batteries last for 6 to 10 years.
4. How often will the patient need follow-up appointments?
- The follow- up appointments may be every 3 to 12 months, depending on the type of pacemaker you have and how well it works