Best Oral Cancer Treatment Doctors in India
- Dr. Deepak Sarin is a well-known Head and Neck Onco surgeon with a specialization in oral and throat cancers.
- His interest lies in minimally invasive surgeries for head and neck cancer and is also an expert in Robotic and Laser surgery.
- He holds the credit for establishing the Head and Neck surgery department in Sir Ganga Ram & Artemis Hospital and also started the Head and Neck Surgery unit in Medanta.
- Dr. Sanjay Sachdeva is one of the most prominent ENT/ Otorhinolaryngologists in India with 30+ years of experience as a medical professional.
- He is currently working as the Senior Director in Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi.
- Dr. Sanjay Sachdeva has received multiple awards and accolades for his incredible achievements in the field of Otorhinolaryngology.
- One of the finest oncologists in India, Dr. Ruqaya Ahmad Mir has been practicing surgical oncology for the past 20 years and is currently functioning as a Senior Consultant, Oncology at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi.
- Dr. Ruqaya Mir is known for her outstanding performance in some of the advanced surgical techniques which include Uterus and Ovary and Limb Conservation surgery and Cytoreductive surgery and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal chemotherapy for advanced colorectal and recurrent ovarian malignancies.
- She is also a well trained Robotic Surgeon practicing implementation of minimal invasion in surgical oncology.
- Dr. Harit Chaturvedi is considered among the best surgical oncologists in India. He has over 3 decades of experience in Surgical Oncology and provides services for the surgical treatment of various types of cancers affecting the breast, head and neck, oral, abdomen, and GI regions.
- He performs surgeries for cancer patients for the removal of both breasts and lymph nodes, removal of part or entire thyroid gland, breast-conserving surgery, surgery for removal of part or entire small intestine, surgery for prostate cancer, etc.
- Dr. Surender Kumar Dabas is a well-known surgical oncologist with experience in the treatment of cancers affecting the head, neck, and thorax regions.
- He has over 10 years of experience in the field and has performed more than 8000 head, neck, and thoracic cancer surgeries.
- He also performs Robotic surgery and computer-assisted thoracoscopic surgeries along with surgery for skull base, oral cavity, esophagus, lungs, and thyroid cancers.
- Dr. Kumud Kumar Handa is a highly acclaimed ENT and Head and Neck Surgeon in India with specializations in Head and Neck cancer surgery.
- Dr. K K Handa’s expertise in the field of ENT is prominent with the 27 years of experience that he has in the field.
- His area of interest includes voice surgery, laser surgery, endoscopic sinus surgery, cochlear implant surgery, and head and neck surgery. He has helped in the treatment of a number of head and neck cancer patients with different types of cancer surgeries.
- Dr. Vedant Kabra is a reputed Surgical Oncologist with specializations in the surgical treatment of breast, head and neck, thoracic, urological, and GI cancers.
- He has more than 20 years of experience in the field and has performed more than 12,000 cancer surgeries related to breast, GI, head, and neck, and Thoracic and GI cancers.
- Dr. Sameer Kaul is a surgical oncologist at Apollo Cancer Institute of Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- He is the head of an independent Surgical Oncology Unit that comprises senior and junior consultants along with oncology nurses and other staff.
- Dr. Kaul performs all kinds of cancer surgeries related to the head and neck, breast, thoracic region, GI, genitourinary, soft tissues, and bones.
- He has 26+ years of experience in Surgical Oncology and has received his training from leading cancer centers of the world.
- Prior to joining Apollo, Dr. Sameer Kaul served in various other hospitals in India taking up different cancer cases and providing successful treatment.
- Dr. Sameer Kaul has extensive experience in Robotic surgeries and performs several of his procedures through Robotic techniques.
- He constantly works towards providing the best cancer care to the underprivileged section of society and therefore founded BCPBF – The Cancer Foundation, an NGO that works towards spreading cancer awareness.
- Dr. Kaul has been responsible for bringing various new and advanced techniques for cancer treatment to the country.
- He popularized Radio Frequency Ablation, Reconstruction for CA breast, and Post insertion in India
- Dr. Kalpana Nagpal is an ENT/Otorhinolaryngologist in India with extensive expertise. She has nearly three decades of experience in performing Microscopic and Endoscopic Surgeries for sinus infections, sebaceous cysts, epistaxis, tonsillitis, and otoplasty.
- Dr. Nagpal is a senior consultant for ENT at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital. She treats patients with congenital ear problems, orbital and optic nerve decompression, and tonsillectomy in both children and adults. Her area of expertise is Head & Neck Surgery.
- Dr. Nagpal also serves as the President of the Women Association of Otolaryngologists and is active in academics.
- Dr. Subodh Chandra Pande is a well-known radiation oncologist in India. He has a long and rich clinical and teaching experience in the specialty of radiation oncology.
- He included a Dual Energy Linear Accelerator with Multi-Leaf Collimator at Bhagwan Mahaveer Cancer Hospital and Research Centre (BMCHRC), Jaipur & which was a first for the State of Rajasthan.
Best Oral Cancer Treatment Hospitals in India
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital is a 700-bedded multispecialty hospital in the heart of the capital of India. It is a part of Apollo Hospital group, one of India’s most reputed healthcare chains. Indraprastha Apollo Hospital has been accredited by Joint Commission International, making it the first internationally accredited hospital in the country in 2005.
- There are 52 specialties in the hospital with one of the best cardiology centers in the country. The hospital is also equipped with State of the art infrastructure facilities with the largest Sleep Lab in Asia and the largest number of ICU bed facilities in India.
- The hospital also has one of the largest dialysis units in India along with a dedicated Bone Marrow Transplant unit.
- The latest and highly advanced technologies that are installed in the hospital include Da Vinci Robotic Surgery System, PET-MR, PET-CT, Cobalt-based HDR Brachytherapy, Brain Lab Navigation System, Tilting MRI, Portable CT scanner, 3 Tesla MRI, 128 Slice CT scanner, DSA Lab, Endosonography, Hyperbaric Chamber and Fibro scan.
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute is a multi-super-specialty, quaternary care hospital with 1000 beds. The hospital comprises reputed clinicians, and international faculty and is also equipped with cutting-edge technology. The hospital is a part of Fortis Healthcare Limited, a reputed chain of private hospitals in India.
- It is a NABH-accredited hospital that is spread across 11 acres of land and has a capacity of 1000 beds. The hospital has 55 specialties and is one of the premier health care centers in the Asia Pacific region popularly known as “the Mecca of Healthcare”.
- The hospital has 260 diagnostic centers and is also equipped with the latest and advanced techniques that include 3 Telsa which is the world’s first Digital MRI technology. The hospital also has world-class Radiation Therapy techniques which have been developed by leading technology experts from Elekta and Brain Lab.
Apollo Hospital, Chennai
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, is one of the best hospitals for heart care in India. Over the years, Apollo has expanded all over India, as a healthcare chain.
- India’s first ‘Only Pancreas’ transplant was performed in Apollo Hospital. The hospital is known for successfully performing Asia’s first en-bloc combined heart and liver transplant, and over the years, it has attained a remarkable achievement in the global healthcare space. Around 3-4 organ transplants are performed in the hospital per day.
- Equipped with over 500 beds, this hospital in Chennai was established in 1983 and since then has been among the most preferred hospital for patients from all over the world.
- The hospital holds accreditation of the NABH and JCI and is the first hospital in India to be ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certified. It is also the first South Indian Hospital to receive subsequent reaccreditation from the JCI USA 4 times.
Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon
- One of India’s best and largest multi-specialty hospitals, Medanta was built with the aim to bring India to the highest standards of medical care. The hospital has been providing the best medical services to its patients, since its inception, with care, commitment, and compassion.
- Equipped with 1250 beds, the hospital was founded by Dr. Naresh Trehan in the year 2009 with an aim to provide the best medical care at affordable costs. The hospital is spread across 43 acres and includes 45 operation theatres and 350 beds dedicated solely to ICU. The hospital includes over 800 doctors, and more than 22 specialty departments and has a dedicated floor for individual specialty in order to offer the best services under one roof.
- The hospital is considered one of the premier institutes in India for Cardiac Care and includes staffs and members of high caliber. The hospital has 6 distinct centers of excellence.
Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- One of the well-regarded providers in India committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence and patient care, Max Super Specialty Hospital is a part of Max Healthcare, which is the second-largest healthcare chain in India. Regarded as one of the most well-regarded healthcare providers in the country, Max Super Specialty Hospital is committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence as well as patient care. The hospital is also equipped with the latest technology as well as cutting-edge research. The hospital is known to deliver and ensure the highest level of patient care.
- The hospital has more than 500 beds and offers treatment for over 35 specialties. The hospital also holds the credit of having installed the first Brain Suite in Asia. This is a highly advanced Neurosurgical machine that allows MRI to be taken while surgery is ongoing.
- Other advanced and latest technologies are also installed in the hospital such as the 1.5 Tesla MRI machine, 64 Slice CT Angiography, 4D ECHO, LINAC, and 3.5T MRI machine.
Artemis Hospital, Gurugram
- One of the most well-known hospitals in the Delhi NCR, Artemis Hospital is the first hospital in Gurugram to get accredited by the Joint Commission International.
- With more than 40 specialties, the hospital has been designed to be one of the most technically advanced hospitals in the country, with the best medical and surgical health care. The hospital has eleven special and dedicated centers, for Heart, Cancer, Neurosciences, etc.
- The latest technologies in the hospital include Endovascular Hybrid Operating Suite and Flat panel Cath Labs for the cardiovascular department, 3 Tesla MRI, 16 slice PET CT, 64 Slice Cardiac CT Scan, HDR Brachytherapy, and highly advanced Image Guided Radiation Therapy techniques (LINAC) are installed in the hospital.
- The hospital has won several awards as well, since its inception.
BLK Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- Equipped with 650 beds, BLK Superspecialty Hospital is the largest stand-alone private sector hospital in Delhi.
- With over 1500 healthcare providers and 150 globally renowned super specialists, the hospital is one of Asia’s largest Bone Marrow Transplant Centres. The hospital is known for having some of the best cancer doctors in the country.
- The hospital is NABH and NABL accredited and was inaugurated by the first Prime Minister of India. Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru.
Gleneagles Global Hospitals, Chennai
- Established in 1999, Gleneagles Global Hospital, Chennai, is one of the top healthcare facilities in Southern India. It is part of the Gleneagles Hospital Chain, which is the fourth largest healthcare chain in the country. The hospital specializes in multi-organ transplants of kidneys, liver, lungs, heart, etc.
- The hospital has an excellent infrastructure and state-of-the-art lab and equipment set-up. The hospital boasts cutting-edge technologies, a highly skilled team of doctors and surgeons, and trained support staff. Located in Perumbakam, Chennai, it is one of India’s premier health care destinations. The hospital has performed some of the most complex surgical and clinical procedures in India including multi-organ transplantations.
- The hospital’s lung transplantation program is one of the best in the country. The hospital is known for having performed India’s first single lung transplant and first minimal invasive lung transplant. It is also the only Indian hospital to be associated with King’s College Hospital, London, United Kingdom for liver transplantations.
Fortis Hospital, Mulund, Mumbai
- Fortis Hospital in Mulund is a 315-bed multi-speciality tertiary care hospital with five JCI accreditations that offers a wide variety of diagnostic and therapeutic services. The Fortis Hospital in Mulund delivers patient-centred treatment with cutting-edge technology, highly skilled and experienced surgeons, and paramedical staff.
- This institution houses Maharashtra’s largest multi-organ transplant centre. It is also the first heart transplant centre in western India to conduct 100 or more consecutive heart transplants in under four years. It is the only hospital in the city to have multi-organ transplants and has handled the youngest patient for angioplasty. Fortis Hospital Mulund now boasts the first advanced surgical robot in central Mumbai.
- Cardiology and heart surgery, urology, nephrology, neurosciences, orthopaedics, digestive care, emergency and critical care, and maternity care are among the services provided by the hospital.
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Named after the wife of Indian industrialist Dhirubhai Ambani, the founder of Reliance Industries, this is one of the top hospitals in Mumbai. This 750-bed multi-specialty hospital became operational in 2009. Known as one of India’s most advanced tertiary care facilities, the hospital is designed to raise India’s global standing as a healthcare hub, with an emphasis on excellence in clinical services.
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital uses Protocol and Care Pathway based treatment models to ensure the best outcomes for patients.
- The hospital represents a confluence of top-notch talent, cutting-edge technology, state-of-the-art infrastructure, and, most importantly commitment.
- The hospital also holds the accreditation of the NABH, NABL, CAP, and JCI.
- The hospital has been recognized as the No. 1 Multispecialty Hospital in Mumbai and the West Zone for the fifth year in a row in 2020 by The Week.
Oral Cancer (Mouth Cancer)
Cancer occurs when the cells grow abnormally and also invade nearby tissues and eventually spreading to other organs in the body through the bloodstream or the lymph nodes.
Mouth cancer or Oral Cancer is the cancer of the lips, gums, tongue, inner lining of the cheeks and roof and floor of the mouth.
Types of Mouth Cancer
- Squamous cell carcinoma– Squamous cell carcinoma means that some squamous cells, lined in the throat and the mouth, are abnormal.
- Verrucous carcinoma- It is very slow- growing type of cancer of squamous cells and can spread to the tissue surrounding the site of origin.
- Minor salivary gland carcinomas- It includes several kinds of oral cancer that can develop on the minor salivary glands, found throughout the lining of the mouth and throat.
- Lymphomas- Oral cancers that occur in lymph tissue are known as lymphomas.
- Benign oral cavity and oropharyngeal tumors- These are non-cancerous tumors and tumor-like conditions that may arise in the oral cavity and oropharynx.
- Leukoplakia and erythroplakia- These are non-cancerous conditions found in the mouth or throat.
Causes of Mouth Cancer
- Smoking & tobacco chewing
- Excessive intake of alcohol
- Family history of cancer
- Prolonged exposure to sun
- Poor oral & dental hygiene
- Weak immune system
- Human papillomavirus (HPV) is a risk factor for oral cancer
- Inhaling certain chemicals like asbestos, wood dust, paint fumes at work may increase a person’s risk to head & neck cancer
Signs & symptoms of Mouth Cancer:
- Painful & sore throat.
- Red or white matched in the mouth.
- Blood in saliva.
- Swelling in the neck that does not heal
- Pain or difficulty in chewing, swallowing or moving the jaw or tongue.
- Foul mouth odour, not related to hygiene
- Frequent headaches
- Pain in tongue
- Loosening of teeth with no apparent reason
- A feeling that something is stuck in the throat
- Persistent pain in neck or ear.
Stages of Mouth Cancer
- Stage I: The tumor is too small (less than an inch) and has not spread to the nearby lymph nodes.
- Stage II: The tumor has increased in size by an inch and has not spread to the nearby lymph nodes
- Stage III: The tumor has increased in size & may have spread to nearby lymph node on the same side of the neck as the tumor.
- Stage IV: The cancer affects tissues around the mouth, lips, lymph nodes and other organs.
Diagnosis of oral cancer
Treatment of Mouth Cancer
The treatment of oral cancer depends on the stage and grade of cancer. Depending on these factors, the oncology team will decide a combination of the following interventions for your oral cancer treatment.
Mouth Cancer surgeries could be to:
Surgery to remove the localized tumor
The surgeon will remove the tumor and a small margin of healthy tissues around it. If the tumor is small, it will be a minor surgery, but if tumor is big, a section of mouth could be resected.
Surgery to remove cancer that has spread to the neck
If the surgeon suspects that the cancer may have reached the lymph nodes (through which it could spread throughout the body), the surgeon may decide for neck dissection where all adjoining lymph nodes and adjacent tissues are removed.
Generally, reconstructive surgery is done after mouth surgery for providing the functionalities of mouth through skin and bone grafting. Reconstruction is also necessary for restoring appearance of the face.
Chemotherapy is the use of anti-cancer drug that helps to slow or stop the growth of rapidly dividing cells that cause cancer. It prevents the growth of rapidly dividing cells by killing the dividing cells.
Despite its side effects, chemo is still the most widely used cancer treatment option. Unlike radiation and surgery which treats cancer cells at particular locations, chemotherapy drugs can kill cancer cells that have metastated (spread) to different organs in the body.
Targeted drug therapy
Targeted therapy is a type of cancer treatment that uses cancer drugs. However, it is different from traditional chemotherapy, which also uses drugs to kill cancer cells. In Targeted therapy, the cancer’s specific genes, proteins, or the tissue environment that contributes to cancer growth and survival are targeted. Targeted therapy is generally used with chemotherapy and other interventions.
Immunotherapy (also called biologic therapy) is a new type of cancer treatment where the body’s immune system is boosted to help the body fight cancer by itself. Immunotherapy uses substances made by the body or in a laboratory to improve or restore immune system function.
Radiation Therapy is a kind of cancer treatment that uses high doses of radiation beams to kill cancer cells to shrink the tumors. Radiation kills the cancer cells by destroying the DNA. Cancer cells with damaged DNA fail to multiply and die. They are then removed by the body’s mechanism.
Is mouth cancer curable?
Mouth cancer has good prognosis if detected early.
How do we detect mouth cancer?
Lumps or enlarged lymph nodes can be felt in both sides of the neck and under the lower jaw. You should also visit dentist regularly for oral check-up.
Does tongue biopsy hurt?
The tongue is very sensitive so a needle biopsy may be uncomfortable even when numbing medicine is used. The tongue can be tender or sore, and it may feel slightly swollen after the biopsy.