Best Doctors in India for Neurofibromatosis Treatment
- Dr. Veena Kalra is one of the renowned Paediatric Neurologists in India who has garnered much respect for her contribution to a new area of Pediatrics which is Pediatric Neurology for the country.
- She practices as a senior consultant at Apollo Hospital, New Delhi.
- The President of India has awarded Dr. Veena Kalra three medals for her work in treating kids with critical illnesses and contributions to the field of pediatrics.
- She has a passion for Malnutrition and brain development, Neurocysticercosis, Childhood Epilepsy, Childhood Cirrhosis, Neuro Infections, and Neurometabolic & Neurogenetic disorders.
- Dr. Kalra not only treated children during her 37 years of practice, but she also gained experience in teaching and leading the Pediatric department.
- Dr. Veena Kalra contributed significantly towards the research on Indian childhood cirrhosis, neurocysticercosis, learning disabilities, epilepsies, neurometabolic and neurogenetic illnesses, and lead poisoning.
- Dr. Vineet Bhushan Gupta is a renowned pediatric neurologist with nearly three decades of experience in treating neurological disorders in children.
- Currently, he is practicing as a senior consultant at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi.
- Dr. Gupta is a certified fellow in Pediatric Neurology from London and the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, Alder Hey Children’s Hospital of Liverpool.
- Dr. Vineet Bhushan Gupta specializes in Spinal fusion surgery. He also treats Spondylolisthesis, Epilepsy, pediatric stroke, Disc Desiccation, Spinal Stenosis, Fractured vertebrae, Herniated Disc, Disc Degeneration, Scoliosis, and developmental problems.
- Dr. Gupta has authored numerous research papers and studies that have appeared in a host of medical journals.
- Dr. Puneet Agarwal is one of the renowned neurologists in India known for his outstanding performance in the field of neuroscience.
- He is considered to be one of the first few doctors to successfully complete the Inflammatory Genes study in stroke patients and IV Valproate in status epilepticus.
- Dr. Agarwal is highly experienced in the Management of Parkinson’s disease, Deep Brain Stimulation, and Injection of Botulinum Toxin and is currently functioning as the Director of the Neurology Department of Stroke.
- Dr. Mukul Varma is one of the best Neurologists in India, specialized in treating brain and spine disorders. With over 27 years of experience, the doctor has expertise in Parkinson’s disease, Speech and movement disorder, headache, and multiple sclerosis treatment.
- He is working as a senior consultant Neurologist with the prestigious Apollo Hospital, New Delhi.
- Dr. Varma is excellent at diagnosing and providing holistic treatment for meningitis, brain stroke, epilepsy, brain cancer, and many others. The doctor also performs stereotactic procedures for Brachial Plexus injuries.
- He has contributed 20 literary works to medical journals of national and international repute.
- Dr. Anoop Kohli is one of the well-known Neurologists in India, having 42 years of clinical experience.
- He is interested in the treatment of Migraine, Brain Haemorrhage, Paralysis, Parkinson’s disease, Stroke, Paraplegia, Fits, and Meningitis.
- Dr. Kohli is a senior consultant at Apollo Hospital, New Delhi, and a pioneer, who first devised an intravenous thrombolytic treatment and developed the first Trans-Cranial Doppler Lab of India at Apollo Hospitals, New Delhi.
- Dr. Anoop Kohli is excellent at surgical intervention and therapies. He has contributed 40 publications to national and international journals.
- Dr. Sumit Singh is a well known Neurologist in India currently associated with Artemis Hospital in Gurgaon as the Director of the department of Neurology.
- He has an experience of 20+ years and specializes in the treatment and management of headache and movement disorders.
- He is the first Neurologist in India to introduce Botulinium toxin for the treatment of headache in 2002 and also used it for trigeminal neuralgia treatment.
- He has years of knowledge and experience in the treatment of neuromuscular disorders and is one of the best neurologists for the management of patients who have undergone Deep Brain Stimulation surgery.
- Dr. Singh is known to be the best for the planning and management of patients with Parkinson’s disease. He also provides treatment for patients suffering from Multiple sclerosis, Myasthenia gravis and Polymyositis.
- He has been associated with other prestigious hospitals before joining Artemis that includes All India Institute of Medical Sciences where he established the first Headache Clinic in North India. He also had an important role in starting the unit of Neuromuscular Disorders in the hospital.
- A member of esteemed medical societies and associations, he is equally interested in research and has been actively involved in clinical trials for Myasthenia gravis and Multiple sclerosis.
- Dr. Singh has also taught and trained several undergraduate and post graduate students and was a Faculty of Neurology during his stint at AIIMS.
- He holds credit of over 100 publications to his name in world renowned medical and scientific journals and has also authored and co authored several text books on neurology.
- Dr. Vipul Gupta is one of the most highly experienced and skilled interventional neurologists in India with expertise in AVMs, Intracranial Aneurysms embolization, tumor embolization, and angioplasty.
- He holds the credit of performing over 300 brain AVM procedures and more than 1000 intracranial aneurysms along with 100 DAVF procedures for the endovascular treatment of intracranial aneurysms and arteriovenous malformations.
- Dr. Gupta specializes in stenting of arterial stenosis as well as carotid stenting and intra- arterial thrombolysis for acute stroke. His expertise also lies in neurovascular imaging techniques and procedures.
- Dr. (Prof.) V S Mehta is a leading Neurosurgeon in India and is considered among the best neurosurgeons in the world.
- He holds an experience of over 4 decades in the field and is an expert in Brachial Plexus surgery, brain stem surgery, spinal tumor surgery, brain aneurysms, and brain tumor surgery.
- He has been honored with the Padma Shri for his dedication and contributions to neurosurgery and spine surgery in India.
- In Paras Dr. V S Mehta has been part of the team to first use the Image-Guided Brain Tumor Navigation Technology for Brain tumor surgery in India.
- Dr. Pranav Kumar is one of the best Neurosurgeons in India, having a good success record of over 27 years in performing deep-rooted tumors in the skull.
- Since 1996, Dr. Kumar has been working as a senior consultant neurosurgeon at Apollo Hospital, New Delhi.
- Dr. Pranav Kumar is skilled in surgeries for brain tumors deep-seated at the base of the skull and aneurysms affecting the cerebrovascular system.
- Dr. Kumar specializes in performing the complex ‘Auditory Brainstem Implant,’ where a Bionic device is inserted in the brainstem to recover the hearing capacity in deaf patients who cannot be treated with a cochlear implant.
- He completed microsurgery training at the National Neurosurgical Centre at Beaumont Hospital in Ireland.
- With 18+ years of experience in the field of neurology, Dr. Mukesh Kumar is one of the most prominent names in neuroscience, renowned for his expertise in the treatment of diseases like Myasthenia Gravis, Parkinson’s Disease, Botulism, and Movement Disorders.
- He is Gold Medalist in MBBS from Banaras Hindu University, India.
Best Hospitals in India for Neurofibromatosis Treatment
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital is a 700-bedded multispecialty hospital in the heart of the capital of India. It is a part of Apollo Hospital group, one of India’s most reputed healthcare chains. Indraprastha Apollo Hospital has been accredited by Joint Commission International, making it the first internationally accredited hospital in the country in 2005.
- There are 52 specialties in the hospital with one of the best cardiology centers in the country. The hospital is also equipped with State of the art infrastructure facilities with the largest Sleep Lab in Asia and the largest number of ICU bed facilities in India.
- The hospital also has one of the largest dialysis units in India along with a dedicated Bone Marrow Transplant unit.
- The latest and highly advanced technologies that are installed in the hospital include Da Vinci Robotic Surgery System, PET-MR, PET-CT, Cobalt-based HDR Brachytherapy, Brain Lab Navigation System, Tilting MRI, Portable CT scanner, 3 Tesla MRI, 128 Slice CT scanner, DSA Lab, Endosonography, Hyperbaric Chamber and Fibro scan.
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute is a multi-super-specialty, quaternary care hospital with 1000 beds. The hospital comprises reputed clinicians, and international faculty and is also equipped with cutting-edge technology. The hospital is a part of Fortis Healthcare Limited, a reputed chain of private hospitals in India.
- It is a NABH-accredited hospital that is spread across 11 acres of land and has a capacity of 1000 beds. The hospital has 55 specialties and is one of the premier health care centers in the Asia Pacific region popularly known as “the Mecca of Healthcare”.
- The hospital has 260 diagnostic centers and is also equipped with the latest and advanced techniques that include 3 Telsa which is the world’s first Digital MRI technology. The hospital also has world-class Radiation Therapy techniques which have been developed by leading technology experts from Elekta and Brain Lab.
Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon
- One of India’s best and largest multi-specialty hospitals, Medanta was built with the aim to bring India to the highest standards of medical care. The hospital has been providing the best medical services to its patients, since its inception, with care, commitment, and compassion.
- Equipped with 1250 beds, the hospital was founded by Dr. Naresh Trehan in the year 2009 with an aim to provide the best medical care at affordable costs. The hospital is spread across 43 acres and includes 45 operation theatres and 350 beds dedicated solely to ICU. The hospital includes over 800 doctors, and more than 22 specialty departments and has a dedicated floor for individual specialty in order to offer the best services under one roof.
- The hospital is considered one of the premier institutes in India for Cardiac Care and includes staffs and members of high caliber. The hospital has 6 distinct centers of excellence.
Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- One of the well-regarded providers in India committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence and patient care, Max Super Specialty Hospital is a part of Max Healthcare, which is the second-largest healthcare chain in India. Regarded as one of the most well-regarded healthcare providers in the country, Max Super Specialty Hospital is committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence as well as patient care. The hospital is also equipped with the latest technology as well as cutting-edge research. The hospital is known to deliver and ensure the highest level of patient care.
- The hospital has more than 500 beds and offers treatment for over 35 specialties. The hospital also holds the credit of having installed the first Brain Suite in Asia. This is a highly advanced Neurosurgical machine that allows MRI to be taken while surgery is ongoing.
- Other advanced and latest technologies are also installed in the hospital such as the 1.5 Tesla MRI machine, 64 Slice CT Angiography, 4D ECHO, LINAC, and 3.5T MRI machine.
Fortis Escorts Hospital, New Delhi
- Over the last 33 years, the Fortis Escorts Heart Institute has set new standards in cardiac treatment with groundbreaking research. It is now known around the world as a centre of expertise for Cardiac Bypass Surgery, Interventional Cardiology, Non-invasive Cardiology, Paediatric Cardiology, and Paediatric Cardiac Surgery.
- The hospital has cutting-edge laboratories that perform a wide range of diagnostic tests in Nuclear Medicine, Radiology, Biochemistry, Haematology, Transfusion Medicine, and Microbiology.
- Fortis Escorts Heart Institute boasts a diverse group of bright and experienced doctors who are backed up by a team of highly qualified, experienced, and devoted support professionals as well as cutting-edge equipment such as the recently installed Dual CT Scan.
- Approximately 200 cardiac doctors and 1600 personnel currently collaborate to manage over 14,500 admissions and 7,200 emergency situations each year. The hospital now has a 310-bed infrastructure, as well as five cath labs and a slew of other world-class amenities.
Apollo Hospital, Chennai
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, is one of the best hospitals for heart care in India. Over the years, Apollo has expanded all over India, as a healthcare chain.
- India’s first ‘Only Pancreas’ transplant was performed in Apollo Hospital. The hospital is known for successfully performing Asia’s first en-bloc combined heart and liver transplant, and over the years, it has attained a remarkable achievement in the global healthcare space. Around 3-4 organ transplants are performed in the hospital per day.
- Equipped with over 500 beds, this hospital in Chennai was established in 1983 and since then has been among the most preferred hospital for patients from all over the world.
- The hospital holds accreditation of the NABH and JCI and is the first hospital in India to be ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certified. It is also the first South Indian Hospital to receive subsequent reaccreditation from the JCI USA 4 times.
Rela Hospital, Chennai
- RIMC is a multi-specialty hospital in a sprawling area of 36 acres located in Chromepet, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
- The facility has 450 beds including 130 critical care beds, 9 operating rooms, modern reference laboratories and radiology services, and is conveniently located near road, rail and air transportation.
- RIMC is led and managed by world-renowned physicians committed to healthcare.
- RIMC offers the broadest range of clinical care, education, and research. The hospital offers state-of-the-art technology and modern treatment facilities designed to provide health care at an affordable cost.
- Rela Institute is driven by patient needs, comfort and confidence.
Artemis Hospital, Gurugram
- One of the most well-known hospitals in the Delhi NCR, Artemis Hospital is the first hospital in Gurugram to get accredited by the Joint Commission International.
- With more than 40 specialties, the hospital has been designed to be one of the most technically advanced hospitals in the country, with the best medical and surgical health care. The hospital has eleven special and dedicated centers, for Heart, Cancer, Neurosciences, etc.
- The latest technologies in the hospital include Endovascular Hybrid Operating Suite and Flat panel Cath Labs for the cardiovascular department, 3 Tesla MRI, 16 slice PET CT, 64 Slice Cardiac CT Scan, HDR Brachytherapy, and highly advanced Image Guided Radiation Therapy techniques (LINAC) are installed in the hospital.
- The hospital has won several awards as well, since its inception.
BLK Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- Equipped with 650 beds, BLK Superspecialty Hospital is the largest stand-alone private sector hospital in Delhi. With over 1500 healthcare providers and 150 globally renowned super specialists, the hospital is one of Asia’s largest Bone Marrow Transplant Centres. The hospital is known for having some of the best cancer doctors in the country.
- The hospital is NABH and NABL accredited and was inaugurated by the first Prime Minister of India. Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru. It is one of the largest tertiary care private hospitals in India which was spread across 5 acres and has a capacity of 650 beds.
- The hospital has 80 consultation rooms spread across two floors, especially for OPD services.
- With one of the largest critical care programs, the hospital is equipped with 125 ICU beds specifically dedicated to the surgical, medical, neonatal, cardiac, pediatric, neuroscience and organ transplant units.
CARE Hospitals, Hyderabad
- CARE Hospitals were established in the year 2000, by CARE Group.
- The multispecialty hospital has 435 beds, including 120 critical care beds, with an annual inflow of 180000 outpatients and 16,000 in-patients.
- The hospital provides specialty medical services in Cardiology, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Pediatric Cardiology, Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Nephrology, and Urology.
- The hospital has the first dual source, 128 slice CT scanner (for high precision cardiac imaging) – the first of its kind in south India.
- The hospital offers a wide range of accommodation facilities for the convenience of its varied patient base, ranging from general wards to super deluxe rooms.
Neurofibromatosis is an incurable genetic disorder that affects the entire nervous system. It can affect the development of nerve cell tissues. It also leads to tumors known as neurofibromas to develop on the nerves, which can lead to various other problems.
In some cases, they might be harmless but they might also cause serious damage if they compress the nerves as well as other tissues.
The disorder is of three types, i.e. Nf1, Nf2 and schwannomatosis, though they are not related.
The symptoms of neurofibromatosis can vary, depending on the type.
The disorder can spread throughout the whole body, causing tumors as well as unusual skin pigmentation. It can manifest as bumps as well, under the skin, colored sports, bone problems, pressure on spinal nerve roots, as well as other neurological problems.
In some cases, patients can also face learning disabilities, behavioral problems, or vision or hearing loss.
NF1 – When this type of neurofibromatosis affects an individual, he/she may show a skin condition but no other related medical problems. Birthmarks and freckles are common as well, among people with this condition. Freckles might appear at an unusual location, such as the groin, under the breasts, or in the armpits. People with this type of neurofibromatosis are also at a higher risk of hypertension or high blood pressure.
NF2 – NF2 is a more serious condition in which tumors grow on nerves deep inside the body. There might be several symptoms such as facial numbness, weakness, paralysis, hearing loss, loss of balance and vertigo, tinnitus, etc.
As the tumor grows, the symptoms might get worse. Tumors may also sometimes develop on the brain, skin, and spinal cord, with potentially serious consequences. Cataracts might also occur, as well as learning disabilities and behavioral problems. Tumor sometimes develops rapidly, but some grow slowly, and the effect might not be noticeable for several years.
Schwannomatosis – It is a rare form of neurofibromatosis, that generally affects less than 1 in 40,000 people. It is generally different from NF1 and NF2. This can cause pain, tingling, numbness, or weakness in the finger and toes.
The cause of neurofibromatosis is genetic defects or mutations that are either passed on by a parent or occur spontaneously during conception.
NF1- The NF1 gene is located on chromosome 17 and this gene produces a protein termed neurofibromin that helps regulate cell growth. The mutated gene causes a loss of neurofibromin, which allows cells to grow uncontrolled.
NF2- The NF2 gene is located on chromosome 22, and it produces a protein which is termed merlin, also called a schwannomin, which helps in suppressing tumors. The mutated gene can lead to a loss of merlin, lead which can cause uncontrolled cell growth.
Schwannomatosis- Two genes are generally known to cause schwannomatosis. Mutations of the genes SMARCB1 and LZTR1, which helps to suppress tumors, are associated with this type of neurofibromatosis.
Generally, NF1 is normally diagnosed during one’s childhood. A diagnosis is generally confirmed when an individual has at least two of the following:
- A family history of NF1
- Lesions in the bone
- A glioma, or tumor, on the optic nerve, which is mostly without symptoms
- At least six “café-au-lait” spots which measure over 5 millimeters across in children or 15 millimeters in adolescents or adults
- Freckling in the armpits, in the groin area, or under the breast
- At least two Lisch nodules, or small brown spots in the iris
- Two or more neurofibromas, or one “plexiform”
Plexiforms affect around 25 percent of people who have Nf1. Plexiforms are neurofibromas that spread around the large nerves as they grow, which leads to the nerve becoming thick and misshapen. They generally feel like knots or cords under the skin. They can be large as well as painful, and also disfiguring. Plexiform generally start forming during childhood.
A special type of lamp is used to check for any skin marks. Other diagnostic tools that your doctor can use include an X-ray, CT, or MRI scan. A genetic blood test might be required as well.
Symptoms of NF2 generally appear around puberty or during adulthood. The most common age of onset is generally between 18 to 24 years.
Diagnosis of NF2 can be made when there is:
- An acoustic neuroma in one of the ears, along with two or more typical symptoms, such as cataracts, brain tumors, and a family history of the condition
- Acoustic neuroma along with brain or spinal tumors, which can be detected by an MRI or CT scan
- An acoustic neuroma in both the ears
- A faulty gene, which is identifiable through a blood test
A person having NF2 will be referred to a neurologist. Hearing and eye tests might also be conducted to check for cataracts, other eye problems, and hearing problems.
Since there is no permanent cure for neurofibromatosis, treatments generally focus on the symptoms. Some of the symptoms generally do not need any treatment. Some of the options for treatment can include the following:
- Surgery for removing problem growths or tumors
- Treatment which can include chemotherapy or radiation if a tumor has turned malignant, or cancerous
- Surgery for bone problems, such as scoliosis
- Therapy which can include physical therapy or counseling
- Surgery for cataracts
- Auditory brainstem and cochlear implants
- Aggressive treatment of pain linked to the condition
- Stereotactic radiosurgery