Best Myomectomy (Fibroid Removal surgery) Doctors in India
- Dr. Ramesh Sarin is one of the best surgical oncologists in India, with a mammoth experience of 49 years.
- Furthermore, the veteran oncologist focuses on managing breast cancer and related disorders like sentinel node biopsy.
- She is also interested in Phyaryngeal Cancer, Uterine Cancer, Bladder Cancer, Cervical Cancer, Liver Cancer, Fallopian Tube Cancer, Bone Cancer, Lung Cancer, Colon and Rectal Cancer, Lymphedema, and Brain Cancer.
- Dr. Harmeet Malhotra is one of the best gynecologists in India to consult all major and complex gynecological surgeries, uterine bleeding, and cervical cerclage; in addition to the women’s general health checkups.
- Dr. Malhotra specializes in vaginal, abdominal, and Laparoscopic surgeries, as well as Hysteroscopy. She had her first Hysteroscopic surgery at Apollo Hospitals in New Delhi.
- Dr. Usha Kumar is a veteran Gynaecologist and Obstetrician with over 25 years of proficient experience.
- Having performed over 10,000 surgeries so far, Dr. Usha has also managed to establish herself as a top-notch gynecologist in India.
- Dr. Shakti Bhan Khanna is a well-known obstetrician and gynecologist in New Delhi. She has over five decades of work expertise in academics and this arena.
- A specialized ‘Khanna’s Sling Operation’ technique for Vault Prolapse developed from her Obstetrics and Gynecology experience has received immense success.
- Dr. Khanna is working as a senior consultant at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital and Apollo Cradle & Children’s Hospital since December 1995.
- Dr. Khanna specializes in complex reproductive treatments, gynecological laparoscopy, gyne-endocrinological treatment, infertility and high-risk pregnancies, and pelvic reconstructive surgery.
- Dr. Khanna has delivered many orations and received various felicitations.
- One of the finest oncologists in India, Dr. Ruqaya Ahmad Mir has been practicing surgical oncology for the past 20 years and is currently functioning as a Senior Consultant, Oncology at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi.
- Dr. Ruqaya Mir is known for her outstanding performance in some of the advanced surgical techniques which include Uterus and Ovary and Limb Conservation surgery and Cytoreductive surgery and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal chemotherapy for advanced colorectal and recurrent ovarian malignancies.
- She is also a well trained Robotic Surgeon practicing implementation of minimal invasion in surgical oncology.
- Dr. Sonia Malik is a renowned gynecologist and obstetrician in India specializing in IVF and ART.
- Dr. Sonia Malik founded the Southend Fertility and IVF Center with the motive of helping infertile couples have a family, and the clinic is considered one of the best in India.
- She holds an extensive experience of 30+ years in Gynecology, Obstetrics, and Infertility and specializes in various types of ARTs including IVF, ICSI, and IMSI. Dr. Malik has performed over 8000 fertility procedures with around 25 IVF cycles and 20 IUI cycles every month.
- Dr. Mukta Kapita has attained expertise in managing high-risk pregnancies, as well as laparoscopic and hysteroscopic surgeries. She also excels in urogynaecological procedures with more than 20 years of experience in this field.
- She has traveled all over the country, and the world, and has been exposed to some of the best equipment and hospitals in this field.
- Dr. Rama Joshi is an extensively skilled and professional Gynae oncologist in India who specializes in Gyne onco surgery and Robotic surgery for ovarian and other gynecological cancers.
- Dr. Joshi provides treatment and management for cancers of the ovaries, uterus, and cervix and performs all types of gynae onco surgeries.
- She received her training in cancer surgery and robotic surgery from prestigious institutes in France and the USA.
- Dr. Sohani Verma is a well-known Gynecologist and Obstetrician in India, with approximately 22 years of experience in numerous treatments in these disciplines. Dr. Verma serves as a senior consultant at Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals.
- She specializes in infertility and IVF treatments, and she also founded a sperm bank in the hospital in 2002. She has 22 years of IVF and infertility experience in the UK and India.
- Dr. Sohani Verma worked as the Academic Coordinator for the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals in New Delhi.
Best Myomectomy Hospitals in India
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital is a 700-bedded multispecialty hospital in the heart of the capital of India. It is a part of Apollo Hospital group, one of India’s most reputed healthcare chains. Indraprastha Apollo Hospital has been accredited by Joint Commission International, making it the first internationally accredited hospital in the country in 2005.
- There are 52 specialties in the hospital with one of the best cardiology centers in the country. The hospital is also equipped with State of the art infrastructure facilities with the largest Sleep Lab in Asia and the largest number of ICU bed facilities in India.
- The hospital also has one of the largest dialysis units in India along with a dedicated Bone Marrow Transplant unit.
- The latest and highly advanced technologies that are installed in the hospital include Da Vinci Robotic Surgery System, PET-MR, PET-CT, Cobalt-based HDR Brachytherapy, Brain Lab Navigation System, Tilting MRI, Portable CT scanner, 3 Tesla MRI, 128 Slice CT scanner, DSA Lab, Endosonography, Hyperbaric Chamber and Fibro scan.
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute is a multi-super-specialty, quaternary care hospital with 1000 beds. The hospital comprises reputed clinicians, and international faculty and is also equipped with cutting-edge technology. The hospital is a part of Fortis Healthcare Limited, a reputed chain of private hospitals in India.
- It is a NABH-accredited hospital that is spread across 11 acres of land and has a capacity of 1000 beds. The hospital has 55 specialties and is one of the premier health care centers in the Asia Pacific region popularly known as “the Mecca of Healthcare”.
- The hospital has 260 diagnostic centers and is also equipped with the latest and advanced techniques that include 3 Telsa which is the world’s first Digital MRI technology. The hospital also has world-class Radiation Therapy techniques which have been developed by leading technology experts from Elekta and Brain Lab.
Apollo Hospital, Chennai
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, is one of the best hospitals for heart care in India. Over the years, Apollo has expanded all over India, as a healthcare chain.
- India’s first ‘Only Pancreas’ transplant was performed in Apollo Hospital. The hospital is known for successfully performing Asia’s first en-bloc combined heart and liver transplant, and over the years, it has attained a remarkable achievement in the global healthcare space. Around 3-4 organ transplants are performed in the hospital per day.
- Equipped with over 500 beds, this hospital in Chennai was established in 1983 and since then has been among the most preferred hospital for patients from all over the world.
- The hospital holds accreditation of the NABH and JCI and is the first hospital in India to be ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certified. It is also the first South Indian Hospital to receive subsequent reaccreditation from the JCI USA 4 times.
Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon
- One of India’s best and largest multi-specialty hospitals, Medanta was built with the aim to bring India to the highest standards of medical care. The hospital has been providing the best medical services to its patients, since its inception, with care, commitment, and compassion.
- Equipped with 1250 beds, the hospital was founded by Dr. Naresh Trehan in the year 2009 with an aim to provide the best medical care at affordable costs. The hospital is spread across 43 acres and includes 45 operation theatres and 350 beds dedicated solely to ICU. The hospital includes over 800 doctors, and more than 22 specialty departments and has a dedicated floor for individual specialty in order to offer the best services under one roof.
- The hospital is considered one of the premier institutes in India for Cardiac Care and includes staffs and members of high caliber. The hospital has 6 distinct centers of excellence.
Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- One of the well-regarded providers in India committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence and patient care, Max Super Specialty Hospital is a part of Max Healthcare, which is the second-largest healthcare chain in India. Regarded as one of the most well-regarded healthcare providers in the country, Max Super Specialty Hospital is committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence as well as patient care. The hospital is also equipped with the latest technology as well as cutting-edge research. The hospital is known to deliver and ensure the highest level of patient care.
- The hospital has more than 500 beds and offers treatment for over 35 specialties. The hospital also holds the credit of having installed the first Brain Suite in Asia. This is a highly advanced Neurosurgical machine that allows MRI to be taken while surgery is ongoing.
- Other advanced and latest technologies are also installed in the hospital such as the 1.5 Tesla MRI machine, 64 Slice CT Angiography, 4D ECHO, LINAC, and 3.5T MRI machine.
Artemis Hospital, Gurugram
- One of the most well-known hospitals in the Delhi NCR, Artemis Hospital is the first hospital in Gurugram to get accredited by the Joint Commission International.
- With more than 40 specialties, the hospital has been designed to be one of the most technically advanced hospitals in the country, with the best medical and surgical health care. The hospital has eleven special and dedicated centers, for Heart, Cancer, Neurosciences, etc.
- The latest technologies in the hospital include Endovascular Hybrid Operating Suite and Flat panel Cath Labs for the cardiovascular department, 3 Tesla MRI, 16 slice PET CT, 64 Slice Cardiac CT Scan, HDR Brachytherapy, and highly advanced Image Guided Radiation Therapy techniques (LINAC) are installed in the hospital.
- The hospital has won several awards as well, since its inception.
BLK Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- Equipped with 650 beds, BLK Superspecialty Hospital is the largest stand-alone private sector hospital in Delhi.
- With over 1500 healthcare providers and 150 globally renowned super specialists, the hospital is one of Asia’s largest Bone Marrow Transplant Centres. The hospital is known for having some of the best cancer doctors in the country.
- The hospital is NABH and NABL accredited and was inaugurated by the first Prime Minister of India. Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru.
Gleneagles Global Hospitals, Chennai
- Established in 1999, Gleneagles Global Hospital, Chennai, is one of the top healthcare facilities in Southern India. It is part of the Gleneagles Hospital Chain, which is the fourth largest healthcare chain in the country. The hospital specializes in multi-organ transplants of kidneys, liver, lungs, heart, etc.
- The hospital has an excellent infrastructure and state-of-the-art lab and equipment set-up. The hospital boasts cutting-edge technologies, a highly skilled team of doctors and surgeons, and trained support staff. Located in Perumbakam, Chennai, it is one of India’s premier health care destinations. The hospital has performed some of the most complex surgical and clinical procedures in India including multi-organ transplantations.
- The hospital’s lung transplantation program is one of the best in the country. The hospital is known for having performed India’s first single lung transplant and first minimal invasive lung transplant. It is also the only Indian hospital to be associated with King’s College Hospital, London, United Kingdom for liver transplantations.
Fortis Hospital, Mulund, Mumbai
- Fortis Hospital in Mulund is a 315-bed multi-speciality tertiary care hospital with five JCI accreditations that offers a wide variety of diagnostic and therapeutic services. The Fortis Hospital in Mulund delivers patient-centred treatment with cutting-edge technology, highly skilled and experienced surgeons, and paramedical staff.
- This institution houses Maharashtra’s largest multi-organ transplant centre. It is also the first heart transplant centre in western India to conduct 100 or more consecutive heart transplants in under four years. It is the only hospital in the city to have multi-organ transplants and has handled the youngest patient for angioplasty. Fortis Hospital Mulund now boasts the first advanced surgical robot in central Mumbai.
- Cardiology and heart surgery, urology, nephrology, neurosciences, orthopaedics, digestive care, emergency and critical care, and maternity care are among the services provided by the hospital.
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Named after the wife of Indian industrialist Dhirubhai Ambani, the founder of Reliance Industries, this is one of the top hospitals in Mumbai. This 750-bed multi-specialty hospital became operational in 2009. Known as one of India’s most advanced tertiary care facilities, the hospital is designed to raise India’s global standing as a healthcare hub, with an emphasis on excellence in clinical services.
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital uses Protocol and Care Pathway based treatment models to ensure the best outcomes for patients.
- The hospital represents a confluence of top-notch talent, cutting-edge technology, state-of-the-art infrastructure, and, most importantly commitment.
- The hospital also holds the accreditation of the NABH, NABL, CAP, and JCI.
- The hospital has been recognized as the No. 1 Multispecialty Hospital in Mumbai and the West Zone for the fifth year in a row in 2020 by The Week.
Myomectomy (Fibroid Removal surgery)
Myomectomy is a surgical procedure done to remove fibroids, keeping the uterus intact. The goal of Myomectomy is to remove the symptoms-causing fibroids & reconstruct the uterus.
Uterine Fibroids are non-cancerous growths inside the uterus and generally develop during the child-bearing years. Fibroids could be very small, undetected by naked eye to huge ones that distort the structure of uterus and even put on extra weight. Fibroids can cause painful periods and abnormal periods and may hinder conceiving.
Factors that increase the risk of getting fibroids
- Early onset of periods
- Having family history of fibroids
- Never having given birth
- Risk increases in late reproductive years
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Having had a multiple birth
- Use of the oral contraceptive pill
Symptoms of Fibroids
- Prolonged periods
- Frequent urination
- A pressure on the bladder, bowel or back
- Lower back ache
- A swelling in the abdomen
- Pain during periods & intercourse
Diagnosis of Fibroids
- A gynaecological examination.
- Pelvic ultrasound.
- During surgery for other conditions.
The three surgical approaches to myomectomy
In this approach, an abdominal incision is made to access the uterus & remove the fibroids. One the following two incisions are used to enter the pelvic cavity.
- A horizontal bikini-line incision which runs about an inch above your pubic bone & causes less pain.
- A vertical incision which starts in the middle of the abdomen and extends from just below the navel to just above the pubic bone.
Laparoscopic or Robotic Myomectomy
A small incision is made in or near the bellybutton. A laparoscope, a narrow tube fitted with a camera, is inserted into the abdomen. The surgery is performed with instruments inserted through other small incisions in the abdominal wall.
Instruments are inserted through small incisions and the movement of instruments is controlled by the surgeon from a separate console.
The fibroids are accessed & removed using instruments that are inserted through the vagina and cervix into the uterus.
How long does it take to heal from myomectomy surgery?
Recovery time depends on the procedure. For abdominal myomectomy the recovery time is four to six weeks; for laparoscopic myomectomy its two to four weeks & for hysteroscopic myomectomy, its two to three days.
What happens if fibroids go untreated?
If left untreated, fibroids can continue to grow, both in size and number. As they take over the uterus, the symptoms will become worse.
How long after myomectomy can the patient get pregnant?
After a myomectomy, wait at least three months before attempting conception to allow the uterus enough healing time.