Best Microdiscectomy / Endoscopic Discectomy Surgeons in India
- Dr. Rajendra Prasad is one of the most experienced Neurosurgeons and Spine surgeons in India.
- Dr. Rajendra Prasad is an expert in all neuro and spine surgeries that including micro neurosurgery, minimally invasive spine surgery, surgery for degenerative spine diseases, surgery for brain and spine trauma, and neuro tumor surgeries.
- Dr. Sandeep Vaishya is a renowned Neurosurgeon in India, with over 21 years of proficient experience in the field of advanced neurosurgery, he has closely worked with some of the top-notch institutes and hospitals in India.
- Dr. Vaishya is regarded as one of the top surgeons of Gamma Knife Surgery in South Africa and is also considered a renowned surgeon for brachial plexus injuries.
- Dr. Rana Patir is one of the most experienced and highly qualified Neurosurgeons in India.
- He holds an extensive experience of 32+ years as a neurosurgeon and has performed more than 10,000 neurosurgical procedures till date.
- Dr. Patir is an expert in all kinds of neuro and spine surgeries with a specialization in minimally invasive brain and spine surgery, Epilepsy surgery, pediatric neurosurgery, and neurovascular surgery.
- Dr. S K Rajan is a renowned Neurosurgeon in Gurugram who specializes in open as well as minimally invasive spinal surgeries and has performed over 3000 complex spinal surgeries for diseases and disorders.
- Dr. S K Rajan’s expertise lies in Craniovertebral Junction and Lumbosacral Junction surgeries and is also an expert in spinal fracture surgeries, slipped discs, canal stenosis, and surgery for spinal tumors and spinal tuberculosis.
- Completing over 9000 successful neurological procedures, and still counting, Dr. Sudhir Tyagi is one of the top-notch names in India, diligently catering to neurological assistance with his vast knowledge and adept expertise.
- In fact, Dr. Sudhir Tyagi is the first neurosurgeon to use the Image Fusion Technique to localize targets in the deep part of the brain to perform functional stereotactic surgeries. He has great experience in all types of brain and spine surgeries.
- Dr. Bipin Walia is one of the most famous neurosurgeons who has performed over 7000 successful neurosurgeries so far.
- He earned his MBBS and MS (General Surgery) degree from Armed Forces Medical College, Pune, followed by which his, M.Ch(Neurosurgery) from All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.
- Dr. Bipin Walia has over 20 years of experience with his outstanding performance earning him quite some rewards and recognition.
- Dr. Sajan K Hegde is an Orthopedic & Spine Surgeon with 33+ years of experience and is known for performing spine and joint surgeries using the latest technological advancements like minimally invasive sacroiliac joint fusion and cervical artificial disc.
- He has initiated many modern instrumentation systems in India including Cotrel, BAK cages, Harms Mesh Systems, and more.
- Dr. Hedge holds expertise in surgical and non-surgical spine treatments, tackling trauma, et al.
- Dr. Anil Kumar Kansal is a well-known neuro and spine surgeon in Delhi with over 2 decades of experience.
- He has performed over 10,000 neurosurgical procedures including 4500 brain surgeries, 500 endoscopic brain surgeries, 2000 spine surgeries, 400 aneurysms, and 500 anterior cervical microdiscectomies with 60 disc replacement procedures.
- Dr. Kansal holds great skills in aneurysm clippings, neuro-modulation, epilepsy, and neurovascular surgery and has handled several such types of cases in his career.
- Dr. Himanshu Tyagi is a well-known Spine surgeon specializing in Minimally Invasive Spine Surgeries (MISS).
- He has over a decade of experience in the field and is trained to perform all kinds of reconstructive and corrective spinal surgeries.
- He is trained to perform intradural as well as extradural spinal procedures and does surgeries by both anterior and posterior approaches.
- Dr. Rajagopalan Krishnan is a well-known orthopedic and spine surgeon in India.
- He is one of the most highly accomplished and successful spine surgeons in Delhi performing more than 350 spine surgeries every year.
- He provides management and treatment of spinal disorders that includes disc and degenerative disorder, spinal tumor, spinal fractures, spinal trauma, and spinal infections.
Best Microdiscectomy Hospitals in India
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital is a 700-bedded multispecialty hospital in the heart of the capital of India. It is a part of Apollo Hospital group, one of India’s most reputed healthcare chains. Indraprastha Apollo Hospital has been accredited by Joint Commission International, making it the first internationally accredited hospital in the country in 2005.
- There are 52 specialties in the hospital with one of the best cardiology centers in the country. The hospital is also equipped with State of the art infrastructure facilities with the largest Sleep Lab in Asia and the largest number of ICU bed facilities in India.
- The hospital also has one of the largest dialysis units in India along with a dedicated Bone Marrow Transplant unit.
- The latest and highly advanced technologies that are installed in the hospital include Da Vinci Robotic Surgery System, PET-MR, PET-CT, Cobalt-based HDR Brachytherapy, Brain Lab Navigation System, Tilting MRI, Portable CT scanner, 3 Tesla MRI, 128 Slice CT scanner, DSA Lab, Endosonography, Hyperbaric Chamber and Fibro scan.
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute is a multi-super-specialty, quaternary care hospital with 1000 beds. The hospital comprises reputed clinicians, and international faculty and is also equipped with cutting-edge technology. The hospital is a part of Fortis Healthcare Limited, a reputed chain of private hospitals in India.
- It is a NABH-accredited hospital that is spread across 11 acres of land and has a capacity of 1000 beds. The hospital has 55 specialties and is one of the premier health care centers in the Asia Pacific region popularly known as “the Mecca of Healthcare”.
- The hospital has 260 diagnostic centers and is also equipped with the latest and advanced techniques that include 3 Telsa which is the world’s first Digital MRI technology. The hospital also has world-class Radiation Therapy techniques which have been developed by leading technology experts from Elekta and Brain Lab.
Apollo Hospital, Chennai
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, is one of the best hospitals for heart care in India. Over the years, Apollo has expanded all over India, as a healthcare chain.
- India’s first ‘Only Pancreas’ transplant was performed in Apollo Hospital. The hospital is known for successfully performing Asia’s first en-bloc combined heart and liver transplant, and over the years, it has attained a remarkable achievement in the global healthcare space. Around 3-4 organ transplants are performed in the hospital per day.
- Equipped with over 500 beds, this hospital in Chennai was established in 1983 and since then has been among the most preferred hospital for patients from all over the world.
- The hospital holds accreditation of the NABH and JCI and is the first hospital in India to be ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certified. It is also the first South Indian Hospital to receive subsequent reaccreditation from the JCI USA 4 times.
Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon
- One of India’s best and largest multi-specialty hospitals, Medanta was built with the aim to bring India to the highest standards of medical care. The hospital has been providing the best medical services to its patients, since its inception, with care, commitment, and compassion.
- Equipped with 1250 beds, the hospital was founded by Dr. Naresh Trehan in the year 2009 with an aim to provide the best medical care at affordable costs. The hospital is spread across 43 acres and includes 45 operation theatres and 350 beds dedicated solely to ICU. The hospital includes over 800 doctors, and more than 22 specialty departments and has a dedicated floor for individual specialty in order to offer the best services under one roof.
- The hospital is considered one of the premier institutes in India for Cardiac Care and includes staffs and members of high caliber. The hospital has 6 distinct centers of excellence.
Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- One of the well-regarded providers in India committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence and patient care, Max Super Specialty Hospital is a part of Max Healthcare, which is the second-largest healthcare chain in India. Regarded as one of the most well-regarded healthcare providers in the country, Max Super Specialty Hospital is committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence as well as patient care. The hospital is also equipped with the latest technology as well as cutting-edge research. The hospital is known to deliver and ensure the highest level of patient care.
- The hospital has more than 500 beds and offers treatment for over 35 specialties. The hospital also holds the credit of having installed the first Brain Suite in Asia. This is a highly advanced Neurosurgical machine that allows MRI to be taken while surgery is ongoing.
- Other advanced and latest technologies are also installed in the hospital such as the 1.5 Tesla MRI machine, 64 Slice CT Angiography, 4D ECHO, LINAC, and 3.5T MRI machine.
Artemis Hospital, Gurugram
- One of the most well-known hospitals in the Delhi NCR, Artemis Hospital is the first hospital in Gurugram to get accredited by the Joint Commission International.
- With more than 40 specialties, the hospital has been designed to be one of the most technically advanced hospitals in the country, with the best medical and surgical health care. The hospital has eleven special and dedicated centers, for Heart, Cancer, Neurosciences, etc.
- The latest technologies in the hospital include Endovascular Hybrid Operating Suite and Flat panel Cath Labs for the cardiovascular department, 3 Tesla MRI, 16 slice PET CT, 64 Slice Cardiac CT Scan, HDR Brachytherapy, and highly advanced Image Guided Radiation Therapy techniques (LINAC) are installed in the hospital.
- The hospital has won several awards as well, since its inception.
BLK Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- Equipped with 650 beds, BLK Superspecialty Hospital is the largest stand-alone private sector hospital in Delhi.
- With over 1500 healthcare providers and 150 globally renowned super specialists, the hospital is one of Asia’s largest Bone Marrow Transplant Centres. The hospital is known for having some of the best cancer doctors in the country.
- The hospital is NABH and NABL accredited and was inaugurated by the first Prime Minister of India. Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru.
Gleneagles Global Hospitals, Chennai
- Established in 1999, Gleneagles Global Hospital, Chennai, is one of the top healthcare facilities in Southern India. It is part of the Gleneagles Hospital Chain, which is the fourth largest healthcare chain in the country. The hospital specializes in multi-organ transplants of kidneys, liver, lungs, heart, etc.
- The hospital has an excellent infrastructure and state-of-the-art lab and equipment set-up. The hospital boasts cutting-edge technologies, a highly skilled team of doctors and surgeons, and trained support staff. Located in Perumbakam, Chennai, it is one of India’s premier health care destinations. The hospital has performed some of the most complex surgical and clinical procedures in India including multi-organ transplantations.
- The hospital’s lung transplantation program is one of the best in the country. The hospital is known for having performed India’s first single lung transplant and first minimal invasive lung transplant. It is also the only Indian hospital to be associated with King’s College Hospital, London, United Kingdom for liver transplantations.
Fortis Hospital, Mulund, Mumbai
- Fortis Hospital in Mulund is a 315-bed multi-speciality tertiary care hospital with five JCI accreditations that offers a wide variety of diagnostic and therapeutic services. The Fortis Hospital in Mulund delivers patient-centred treatment with cutting-edge technology, highly skilled and experienced surgeons, and paramedical staff.
- This institution houses Maharashtra’s largest multi-organ transplant centre. It is also the first heart transplant centre in western India to conduct 100 or more consecutive heart transplants in under four years. It is the only hospital in the city to have multi-organ transplants and has handled the youngest patient for angioplasty. Fortis Hospital Mulund now boasts the first advanced surgical robot in central Mumbai.
- Cardiology and heart surgery, urology, nephrology, neurosciences, orthopaedics, digestive care, emergency and critical care, and maternity care are among the services provided by the hospital.
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Named after the wife of Indian industrialist Dhirubhai Ambani, the founder of Reliance Industries, this is one of the top hospitals in Mumbai. This 750-bed multi-specialty hospital became operational in 2009. Known as one of India’s most advanced tertiary care facilities, the hospital is designed to raise India’s global standing as a healthcare hub, with an emphasis on excellence in clinical services.
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital uses Protocol and Care Pathway based treatment models to ensure the best outcomes for patients.
- The hospital represents a confluence of top-notch talent, cutting-edge technology, state-of-the-art infrastructure, and, most importantly commitment.
- The hospital also holds the accreditation of the NABH, NABL, CAP, and JCI.
- The hospital has been recognized as the No. 1 Multispecialty Hospital in Mumbai and the West Zone for the fifth year in a row in 2020 by The Week.
Microdiscectomy also sometimes termed as microdiskectomy or microdecompression, is a minimally invasive surgical procedure performed on patients suffering from a herniated lumbar disc.
Though years ago, removing a herniated disk required a rather large surgical incision; today surgeons are able to use a microscopic surgical approach using a small, minimally-invasive poke-hole incision for removing the disc herniation. This procedure allows a faster recovery as well.
The procedure is generally performed for two main reasons:
- A fragment of your intervertebral disc might be broken away from your disc and it is pressing on the spinal cord or your spinal nerves.
- Though your disc might be intact, part of it is bulging or protruding and pressing on the spinal cord or your spinal nerves.
It is important for you to stop taking certain medications for around two weeks before the surgery including blood thinners. You should discuss with your doctor which medications you should still continue with. Your doctor might also recommend certain tests.
Also, make sure you stop smoking at least two weeks prior to the surgery.
You will need to lie face down on the surgery table. The procedure is generally done under general anesthesia, so during the entire procedure, you will be asleep and won’t feel anything.
First, an incision of around one inch will be made directly over the affected disc. With the help of a lighted microscope, your surgeon will be able to see the affected area.
Your surgeon might remove a small portion of bone protecting the root nerve. Using a scissor-like tool, he/she will next remove the damaged herniated tissue, relieving the pressure on the nerve. Then the incision is closed.
Since the spinal nerve now has the required space inside the spinal column, any pain that is caused by pinching on the nerve should now stop.
The recovery time for this procedure is much less as compared to other invasive procedures. People are generally able to leave the hospital the same day or within twenty-four hours.
You will likely need to meet with a physical therapist as well as an occupational therapist before you leave the hospital. You will receive instructions on how you can reduce the bending, lifting and twisting done with your back. They will also tell you what kind of exercises you need to do to improve the strength and flexibility of the muscles around your spine.
Avoid driving, sitting for too long, lifting heavy objects as well as bending over immediately after the procedure. You may not be able to resume normal activities immediately, but it is likely that your lifestyle will not be impacted. It is best if you can take leave from work for a minimum of two weeks. Avoid lifting anything heavy for at least four weeks.
Slowly, you will make progress and will be able to resume your normal physical activities. A full recovery requires around six weeks.
A successful microdiscectomy will accomplish what a traditional open discectomy does, along with a faster and lesser painful recovery.
Although microdiscectomy generally is a safe procedure, with rare complications, some risks are definitely a possibility. Sometimes your pain can return or the disc can re-herniate.
Other risks are:
- dural tear in 1 to 2 percent of surgeries
- bowel/bladder incontinence (very rare)
- nerve root damage