Best ICD/AICD Implantation Doctors in India
- Dr. Rajesh Sharma is one of the most experienced and widely acclaimed Cardiothoracic and Vascular surgeons specializing in pediatric cardiac surgery in India.
- He provides treatment for both adult and pediatric heart diseases and disorders and focuses primarily on complex congenital heart diseases.
- Dr. Sharma’s expertise lies in infant and Neonatal cardiac surgery, surgery for transposition of the great arteries, Fontan circulation, and acquired heart diseases.
- His experiences encompass over 3 decades during which he has performed over 20,000 heart surgeries including congenital heart disorders as well as acquired heart defects.
- Dr. Rajesh Sharma did his fellowship training in pediatric cardiovascular surgery from premier institutes in the USA and has used his knowledge and skills to take up several complex cardiac cases and deliver excellent results.
- Along with his practice, Dr. Sharma has also been involved in teaching and training undergraduate and postgraduate students and started his career as a faculty with AIIMS, Delhi. He has also mentored cardiac surgery trainees who are now well-established surgeons in various parts of India.
- Dr. Rajesh Sharma has contributed immensely to the field of pediatric cardiac surgery in India and has various publications to his name in renowned national and international scientific journals.
- Dr. Krishna Subramony Iyer is one of the best Pediatric Cardiac surgeons in India and specializes in congenital heart diseases.
- He has been practicing pediatric cardiac surgery for over 4 decades and has performed more than 10,000 surgeries through various procedures like double switch operation TAPVC repairs, Fontan and Fontan, arterial switch, and DORV.
- Dr. Iyer has been associated with Escorts Heart Institute for a long time and is responsible for establishing the first pediatric cardiac care program in North India in 1995.
- Dr. Kulbhushan Singh Dagar, a pioneer and an expert in the cardiology field earned his reputation through his exceptional performance in the field of complex congenital heart defects, especially for newborns.
- With over 21 years of experience, Dr. Dagar has dedicatedly performed complex surgical procedures by implementing innovative techniques and cutting-edge technologies in his procedures and is currently considered an asset to the cardiac industry, not just nationally, but internationally too!
- Dr. Praveen Chandra is one of the most well-known and respected Interventional Cardiologists in India and performs over 5000 percutaneous and diagnostic interventions every year.
- He specializes in devising techniques that help minimize open surgeries. Dr. Praveen Chandra performed the first Percutaneous Aortic Valve implantation without surgery in India.
- He also developed techniques to reduce the number of patients requiring bypass surgeries and has been trying to make angioplasty techniques more accurate to help with the treatment of multiple blocked arteries.
- Dr. Z S Meharwal is a well-known cardiac surgeon in India who has performed more than 20,000 cardiac surgeries in his career that including some of the most complex and high-risk cardiac procedures.
- Dr. Meharwal is a member of the founding team that started the Fortis Escorts Heart Institute and has been associated with the hospital since then.
- His interest lies in Minimally Invasive Cardiac procedures, valve repair, and replacement, and heart transplants among other major vascular and thoracic surgeries.
- Dr. Bhaba Nanda Das is a well-known cardiovascular and cardiothoracic surgeon and has performed the first Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG) on a beating heart in India.
- He has performed over 20,000 cardiac surgeries and does more than 800 cardiac surgeries annually.
- With a keen interest in cardiovascular and thoracic procedures, Dr. Das is the first cardiac surgeon to use all arterial grafts for multiple coronary revascularizations. He was also the first to use coronary sinus in Fontan’s circulation.
- Dr. T S Kler is undoubtedly one of the best vascular surgeons not only in India but also abroad. He has performed more than 25,000 Surgeries in his life which makes him stand where he is.
- He is a pioneer in electrophysiology & he established the first dedicated Electrophysiology department in India at Fortis Escorts Heart Institute.
- Dr. T S Kler initiated a radio Frequency Ablations programme at Escorts in 1993, one of the first of its kind in India. He was the first doctor in India to implant an ICD, CRT-P & CRT-D.
- Dr. Ashutosh Marwah is one of the best child heart specialists in India, having experience of over 26 years.
- He was the former Assistant Director of Jaypee Hospital and is now practicing at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital in New Delhi.
- Dr. Ashutosh Marwah has expertise in treating complex cardiac defects, Interventional & perioperative cardiac catheterizations, dilatation stenting, fetal echocardiography, Aortic Aneurysm, and Stent implantation.
- He has Fellowships in Pediatric Cardiology from reputed hospitals like Escorts Heart Institute, Delhi, and Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne, improvised his skills.
- Dr. Marwah published multiple research papers and articles in reputed medical journals of India and abroad. He is also a member of the Lions Club of Dar Es Salaam.
- Dr. Sandeep Attawar is a highly recognized Heart and Lung transplant surgeon in India who has over 2 decades of experience as a cardiac surgeon and has performed more than 10,000 cardiac surgeries on adult and pediatric patients.
- Dr. Attawar specializes in all types of surgeries for adults as well as pediatric heart patients and finds interest in heart and lung transplant surgery, congenital heart surgery, Aortic aneurysm repair, and implantation of heart failure devices.
- Dr. Ajay Kaul is a leading name in the field of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery in India with over 3 decades of experience.
- He specializes in Coronary Bypass surgery and is one of the best with the highest number of total arterial coronary bypass surgery (4000+) by using two internal mammary arteries from the chest and without any cuts on arms and legs.
- He is also an expert in minimally invasive cardiac surgeries (MICS) and has performed more than 4000 MICS which is the highest by any cardiac surgeon in India.
Best ICD / AICD Implantation Hospitals in India
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital is a 700-bedded multispecialty hospital in the heart of the capital of India. It is a part of Apollo Hospital group, one of India’s most reputed healthcare chains. Indraprastha Apollo Hospital has been accredited by Joint Commission International, making it the first internationally accredited hospital in the country in 2005.
- There are 52 specialties in the hospital with one of the best cardiology centers in the country. The hospital is also equipped with State of the art infrastructure facilities with the largest Sleep Lab in Asia and the largest number of ICU bed facilities in India.
- The hospital also has one of the largest dialysis units in India along with a dedicated Bone Marrow Transplant unit.
- The latest and highly advanced technologies that are installed in the hospital include Da Vinci Robotic Surgery System, PET-MR, PET-CT, Cobalt-based HDR Brachytherapy, Brain Lab Navigation System, Tilting MRI, Portable CT scanner, 3 Tesla MRI, 128 Slice CT scanner, DSA Lab, Endosonography, Hyperbaric Chamber and Fibro scan.
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute is a multi-super-specialty, quaternary care hospital with 1000 beds. The hospital comprises reputed clinicians, and international faculty and is also equipped with cutting-edge technology. The hospital is a part of Fortis Healthcare Limited, a reputed chain of private hospitals in India.
- It is a NABH-accredited hospital that is spread across 11 acres of land and has a capacity of 1000 beds. The hospital has 55 specialties and is one of the premier health care centers in the Asia Pacific region popularly known as “the Mecca of Healthcare”.
- The hospital has 260 diagnostic centers and is also equipped with the latest and advanced techniques that include 3 Telsa which is the world’s first Digital MRI technology. The hospital also has world-class Radiation Therapy techniques which have been developed by leading technology experts from Elekta and Brain Lab.
Apollo Hospital, Chennai
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, is one of the best hospitals for heart care in India. Over the years, Apollo has expanded all over India, as a healthcare chain.
- India’s first ‘Only Pancreas’ transplant was performed in Apollo Hospital. The hospital is known for successfully performing Asia’s first en-bloc combined heart and liver transplant, and over the years, it has attained a remarkable achievement in the global healthcare space. Around 3-4 organ transplants are performed in the hospital per day.
- Equipped with over 500 beds, this hospital in Chennai was established in 1983 and since then has been among the most preferred hospital for patients from all over the world.
- The hospital holds accreditation of the NABH and JCI and is the first hospital in India to be ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certified. It is also the first South Indian Hospital to receive subsequent reaccreditation from the JCI USA 4 times.
Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon
- One of India’s best and largest multi-specialty hospitals, Medanta was built with the aim to bring India to the highest standards of medical care. The hospital has been providing the best medical services to its patients, since its inception, with care, commitment, and compassion.
- Equipped with 1250 beds, the hospital was founded by Dr. Naresh Trehan in the year 2009 with an aim to provide the best medical care at affordable costs. The hospital is spread across 43 acres and includes 45 operation theatres and 350 beds dedicated solely to ICU. The hospital includes over 800 doctors, and more than 22 specialty departments and has a dedicated floor for individual specialty in order to offer the best services under one roof.
- The hospital is considered one of the premier institutes in India for Cardiac Care and includes staffs and members of high caliber. The hospital has 6 distinct centers of excellence.
Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- One of the well-regarded providers in India committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence and patient care, Max Super Specialty Hospital is a part of Max Healthcare, which is the second-largest healthcare chain in India. Regarded as one of the most well-regarded healthcare providers in the country, Max Super Specialty Hospital is committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence as well as patient care. The hospital is also equipped with the latest technology as well as cutting-edge research. The hospital is known to deliver and ensure the highest level of patient care.
- The hospital has more than 500 beds and offers treatment for over 35 specialties. The hospital also holds the credit of having installed the first Brain Suite in Asia. This is a highly advanced Neurosurgical machine that allows MRI to be taken while surgery is ongoing.
- Other advanced and latest technologies are also installed in the hospital such as the 1.5 Tesla MRI machine, 64 Slice CT Angiography, 4D ECHO, LINAC, and 3.5T MRI machine.
Artemis Hospital, Gurugram
- One of the most well-known hospitals in the Delhi NCR, Artemis Hospital is the first hospital in Gurugram to get accredited by the Joint Commission International.
- With more than 40 specialties, the hospital has been designed to be one of the most technically advanced hospitals in the country, with the best medical and surgical health care. The hospital has eleven special and dedicated centers, for Heart, Cancer, Neurosciences, etc.
- The latest technologies in the hospital include Endovascular Hybrid Operating Suite and Flat panel Cath Labs for the cardiovascular department, 3 Tesla MRI, 16 slice PET CT, 64 Slice Cardiac CT Scan, HDR Brachytherapy, and highly advanced Image Guided Radiation Therapy techniques (LINAC) are installed in the hospital.
- The hospital has won several awards as well, since its inception.
BLK Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- Equipped with 650 beds, BLK Superspecialty Hospital is the largest stand-alone private sector hospital in Delhi.
- With over 1500 healthcare providers and 150 globally renowned super specialists, the hospital is one of Asia’s largest Bone Marrow Transplant Centres. The hospital is known for having some of the best cancer doctors in the country.
- The hospital is NABH and NABL accredited and was inaugurated by the first Prime Minister of India. Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru.
Gleneagles Global Hospitals, Chennai
- Established in 1999, Gleneagles Global Hospital, Chennai, is one of the top healthcare facilities in Southern India. It is part of the Gleneagles Hospital Chain, which is the fourth largest healthcare chain in the country. The hospital specializes in multi-organ transplants of kidneys, liver, lungs, heart, etc.
- The hospital has an excellent infrastructure and state-of-the-art lab and equipment set-up. The hospital boasts cutting-edge technologies, a highly skilled team of doctors and surgeons, and trained support staff. Located in Perumbakam, Chennai, it is one of India’s premier health care destinations. The hospital has performed some of the most complex surgical and clinical procedures in India including multi-organ transplantations.
- The hospital’s lung transplantation program is one of the best in the country. The hospital is known for having performed India’s first single lung transplant and first minimal invasive lung transplant. It is also the only Indian hospital to be associated with King’s College Hospital, London, United Kingdom for liver transplantations.
Fortis Hospital, Mulund, Mumbai
- Fortis Hospital in Mulund is a 315-bed multi-speciality tertiary care hospital with five JCI accreditations that offers a wide variety of diagnostic and therapeutic services. The Fortis Hospital in Mulund delivers patient-centred treatment with cutting-edge technology, highly skilled and experienced surgeons, and paramedical staff.
- This institution houses Maharashtra’s largest multi-organ transplant centre. It is also the first heart transplant centre in western India to conduct 100 or more consecutive heart transplants in under four years. It is the only hospital in the city to have multi-organ transplants and has handled the youngest patient for angioplasty. Fortis Hospital Mulund now boasts the first advanced surgical robot in central Mumbai.
- Cardiology and heart surgery, urology, nephrology, neurosciences, orthopaedics, digestive care, emergency and critical care, and maternity care are among the services provided by the hospital.
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Named after the wife of Indian industrialist Dhirubhai Ambani, the founder of Reliance Industries, this is one of the top hospitals in Mumbai. This 750-bed multi-specialty hospital became operational in 2009. Known as one of India’s most advanced tertiary care facilities, the hospital is designed to raise India’s global standing as a healthcare hub, with an emphasis on excellence in clinical services.
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital uses Protocol and Care Pathway based treatment models to ensure the best outcomes for patients.
- The hospital represents a confluence of top-notch talent, cutting-edge technology, state-of-the-art infrastructure, and, most importantly commitment.
- The hospital also holds the accreditation of the NABH, NABL, CAP, and JCI.
- The hospital has been recognized as the No. 1 Multispecialty Hospital in Mumbai and the West Zone for the fifth year in a row in 2020 by The Week.
Automated Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillator (AICD) or an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) is a device that is placed in the chest & monitors the heart rate & rhythm. In case, a fast abnormal heart rhythm is detected, the device provides energy to the heart muscle which normalize the heart rhythm.
The ICD comprises of two parts:
First part is the Lead(s) which are made up of wires and sensors that monitors the heart rhythm and delivers energy used for pacing.
The second part is the Pulse Generator which has a battery that houses energy, & a tiny computer that receives information from the leads to determine how the heart is beating.
Types of ICDs
A lead is attached in the right ventricle that provides energy to the ventricle to restore a normal heart rhythm.
Leads are attached in the right atrium and the right ventricle which provides energy to the right atrium and then to the right ventricle that helps the heart to pace in a normal sequence.
Leads are attached in the right atrium, the right ventricle and the coronary sinus that lies adjacent to the left ventricle and helps the heart beat in a more efficient way. It is specifically used for patients suffering with heart failure.
Functions of ICD
- When the heart beat is too fast, a chain of small electrical impulses are delivered to the heart muscle which restores heart rate and rhythm. This is known as Antitachycardia Pacing (ATP)
- A low-energy shock is delivered which restores heart rhythm. This is known as Cardioversion.
- When the heart is beating too fast, a high-energy shock is delivered to the heart muscle which restores heart rhythm. This is known as Defibrillation.
- When the heart beat is too slow, a small electrical impulses is delivered to the heart which stimulates the heart muscle to maintain a suitable heart rate. This is known as Bradycardia pacing.
Conditions in which ICD is implanted
- Episode of sudden cardiac arrest (ventricular fibrillation).
- People who are at high risk for sudden cardiac arrest.
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.
- Dilated cardiomyopathy.
- Ventricular tachycardia.
ICD Implant Procedure
The ICD may be implanted in two ways:
1. Endocardial (transvenous) Approach
The first way is the endocardial (transvenous) approach. It the most approach in which ICD is implanted. In this approach, a small incision is made under the collar bone. The lead is inserted into the heart, through a vein. The generator is placed in the upper chest, under the skin & attached to the lead(s).
2. Epicardial Approach
The second way is epicardial approach. This requires open-heart surgery. The lead is sewn onto the heart instead of placing the lead through a vein.
The morning after the implant, the patient will undergo a chest X-ray to make sure the ICD leads are in the proper position and the ICD will be programmed to ensure it is functioning properly.
Precautions after ICD Implantation
- Avoid vigorous exercises, including golf, tennis, swimming, bicycling, bowling or vacuuming
- Don’t lift anything weighing more than 5 pounds
- Avoid strenuous exercise programs
- It is safe to talk on a cellphone, but avoid placing the cellphone within 6 inches of the ICD implantation site when the phone is turned on.
- After surgery, the patient will receive a card that stating he/she have an ICD. Show this card to airport personnel because the ICD may set off airport security alarms.
- Avoid scanning with a hand-held detector to less than 30 seconds over the site of the ICD or make a request for a manual search.
- Some procedures, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), magnetic resonance angiography (MRA), and radiofrequency or microwave ablation are not recommended after ICD implant.
- Stand at least 2 feet (0.6 meters) from welding equipment, high-voltage transformers or motor-generator systems.
- Keep magnets at least 6 inches (15 centimeters) from the ICD site.