Best Doctors in India for Hip arthroscopy
- Dr. Ashok Rajgopal is often considered the best Orthopedic Surgeon in India. He was awarded the Padma Shri by the President of India in 2014 for his impeccable service to Orthopedics in India.
- He is a highly knowledgeable and skilled orthopedic surgeon with more than 25,000 Total Knee Replacement surgeries to his name. He also holds the credit for more than 3200 joint replacement surgeries and over 9950 arthroscopic surgeries and 28,000 arthroplasties.
- He holds a unique stint of performing 28 Total Knee Replacement surgeries in less than 12 hours and has achieved several other milestones in his career.
- (Prof) Raju Vaishya is a well-known Orthopedic Surgeon in India with expertise in arthroscopic surgery (hip and knee) and joint replacement procedures.
- He has been in the field of joint replacement and arthroscopy for more than 30 years and is highly skilled at the management of chronic arthritis and performing joint replacement surgeries for hip, knee, elbow, shoulder, and finger joints.
- Dr. Raju Vaishya is among the first orthopedic surgeons to introduce shoulder arthroscopy in India and is the best surgeon for knee and hip arthroplasty in the country.
- His interest also lies in cartilage regeneration and restoration along with management and treatment of ligament injuries.
- Currently, Dr. Raju Vaishya is one of the lead orthopedic surgeons in Indraprastha Apollo Hospital and is also a Professor in the department. He is part of a highly efficient team of orthopedic doctors and surgeons in the hospital which makes it one of the best orthopedic centers in India.
- He runs a fellowship training program in orthopedic surgery under Indraprastha Apollo Hospital and has trained over 300 national and international orthopedic surgeons.
- Dr. Vaishya is known to have introduced the personalized knee surgery plan that uses a customized patient-centric approach for arthroplasty.
- Dr. Raju Vaishya regularly attends national and international scientific meetings and gets invited to speak and deliver talks at such conferences and seminars. He has chaired various orthopedic and arthroscopic sessions and delivered presentations.
- He has done a large number of research on the different aspects of Arthroscopy and joint replacement procedures. His work has been published in renowned peer-reviewed journals and holds the credit for over 175 publications in national and international journals and medical textbooks.
- Dr. Raju Vaishya’s name has been featured in the Limca Book of Records four times for his contributions towards orthopedics.
- An esteemed member of numerous medical associations and organizations, Dr. Vaishya is a well known name in orthopedic surgery of the world.
- Dr. Raman Kant Aggarwal is a leading Orthopedic Surgeon with expertise in the management and treatment of shoulders and sports injuries.
- He has been performing orthopedic surgeries for the shoulder and sports injuries for more than 26 years and has experience in performing all kinds of replacement and reconstruction surgeries of the shoulders and upper limbs.
- He holds the credit for performing the highest number of total shoulder replacement surgery and shoulder arthroscopy in Delhi and NCR.
- Dr. Ramani Narasimhan is a leading Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon in Delhi and one of the best in India for the treatment of all kinds of pediatric orthopedic disorders.
- He is currently associated with Indraprastha Apollo Hospital as a Senior Consultant of Pediatric Orthopedics and is also a part of the Apollo Centre for Advanced Pediatrics.
- Dr. Ramani Narasimhan is responsible for the management of orthopedic Traumatic and Non-traumatic disorders in patients below the age of 19.
- He has been practicing pediatric orthopedics for more than 3 decades now and specializes primarily in pediatric hip and spine surgery among other orthopedic procedures that include deformity correction surgery, joints, and bone repair and replacement, and surgery for sports injuries, fractures, and trauma.
- Dr. Ramani Narasimhan received the Exemplary Contribution Award in 2008 for his contributions towards Pediatric Orthopedics and has also received numerous accolades in his career.
- He has been part of several conferences, seminars, workshops, and CMEs both in the national and international forums. He regularly gets invited as a faculty to deliver lectures on different aspects of pediatric orthopedics all over India. He has delivered talks, presented papers, and has also organized and chaired several sessions in these scientific meetings.
- Dr. Narasimhan is actively involved in research activities both individually and in collaboration with pediatric associations. His works on neonatal osteomyelitis, managing idiopathic clubfeet, and congenital limb deficiency have been published in renowned national and international journals.
- Dr. Ramneek Mahajan is a well-known name in the field of Orthopedics and Joint Replacement surgery in India.
- His expertise lies in Primary and Revision Joint replacement surgeries and Arthroscopy. He has performed over 10000 orthopedic surgeries till date and also holds the credit for more than 2500 joint replacement surgeries.
- Dr. Mahajan received his Fellowship training in Arthroscopy and Joint Replacement from prestigious orthopedic centers in Singapore, Australia, and Germany.
- Dr. S K S Marya is a highly renowned and acclaimed Orthopedic Surgeon in India and has performed over 15,000 joint replacement surgeries till date.
- He is one of the most experienced orthopedic surgeons specializing in joint replacement surgery of upper and lower limb joints (both primary and revision) and Trauma management according to AO principles.
- His surgical career in numbers is quite high with 3500 simultaneous knee replacement surgeries and over 3000 hip replacement surgeries.
- Dr. Sajan K Hegde is an Orthopedic & Spine Surgeon with 33+ years of experience and is known for performing spine and joint surgeries using the latest technological advancements like minimally invasive sacroiliac joint fusion and cervical artificial disc.
- He has initiated many modern instrumentation systems in India including Cotrel, BAK cages, Harms Mesh Systems, and more.
- Dr. Hedge holds expertise in surgical and non-surgical spine treatments, tackling trauma, et al.
- Dr. Attique Vasdev is a renowned Orthopedic surgeon specializing in Knee surgeries.
- Currently he is the Director of Knee Unit at Bone and Joint Institute of Medanta- The Medicity and has been instrumental in starting the unit as well.
- Along with performing surgeries for all kinds of knee related diseases and disorders, he is also trained to perform sports injury surgeries.
- His principal area of interest lies in Knee replacement, Arthroscopic surgery, ligament reconstruction surgeries and Knee Osteotomy.
- Dr. Vasdev holds an immense experience of more than 25 years in knee surgeries and knee procedures. He is among the very few orthopedic surgeons in India focusing primarily in knee-related disorders.
- He organizes workshops and takes part in various CMEs and seminars where he gives live demonstration on various knee surgeries.
- He has been an invitee to various orthopedic conferences and meetings both in the national and international forum.
- Dr. Yash Gulati is a leading Orthopedic Surgeon and one of the best hip and knee replacement surgeons in India.
- For his contributions towards orthopedics in India, he was awarded the Padma Shri in 2009 and is the youngest orthopedic surgeon to receive the honor.
- Dr. Yash Gulati is an expert in all types of hip, knee, and spine joint replacement surgeries and holds the credit for performing the highest number of total knee replacements with I- Assist Navigation technique in India. He also performed the largest number of total hip replacement surgeries for Sickle Cell disease.
- With several firsts to his name, Dr. Gulati performed the first-ever total hip replacement surgery on the youngest patient in India. He pioneered the Gyroscope-based Computer Navigation Knee Replacement surgery in India and is the best in the procedure.
- He holds more than 2 decades of experience in primary and revision total hip and knee replacement surgeries and has performed a large number of complex surgeries with excellent outcomes.
- Dr. Yash Gulatiis one of the very few surgeons in India to perform Minimally Invasive Transforaminal Interbody Fusion surgeries.
- Dr. Gulati has been associated with prestigious and the best orthopedic hospitals in India. He is the orthopedic surgeon for the President of India and has also performed surgeries on some of the notable personalities of the country.
- He is also an experienced sports surgeon and holds a Diploma in Sports Medicine. He has performed surgeries on some of the well-known sportsperson and athletes of India. He has also been an honorary orthopedic surgeon for the Border Security Forces and the Armed Forces.
- Dr. Yash Gulati is regularly invited as a speaker and presenter to attend conferences and seminars all over the world. He has delivered over 500 lectures at several national and international meetings. He also delivered orations on several occasions and has been appreciated and awarded for his work on numerous instances.
- He is also invited to various orthopedic workshops and CMEs where he has given live demonstrations of knee and hip replacement procedures both in India and other countries of the world. He did a live demonstration of microdiscectomy at the Indian Orthopedic Association Annual Conference held in Patna.
- He is a keen researcher and has been developing new and better techniques for orthopedic and joint replacement surgeries in India. His work has been published in renowned national and international medical journals.
- Dr. Gulati is also active in social work and has been associated with a number of NGOs to provide for the underprivileged. He also organizes free health camps to help poor and elderly patients with orthopedic care.
- Dr. Rajagopalan Krishnan is a well-known orthopedic and spine surgeon in India, currently working with Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi.
- He is one of the most highly accomplished and successful spine surgeons in Delhi performing more than 350 spine surgeries every year.
- Dr. Rajagopalan Krishnan holds an extensive experience of 30+ years in spine surgery and specializes in different types of spinal diseases and disorders.
- He provides management and treatment of spinal disorders that includes disc and degenerative disorder, spinal tumor, spinal fractures, spinal trauma, and spinal infections.
- His primary interests include simple and lumbar Discectomy, cervical and lumbar disc replacement surgery, spinal reconstruction for trauma, vertebrectomy, and TESSYS.
- Dr. Krishnan has developed new techniques for Sacral Tarlov cysts and anterior short and long segment instrumented correction for both adult and pediatric patients.
- Dr. Rajagopalan Krishnan has been exclusively practicing spinal surgery for over 2 decades and has been associated with Mid-Cheshire NHS Trust for 10 years dealing with over 3000 OPD patients annually.
- He has trained undergraduate and postgraduate students as well as mentored Ph.D. students with their research and projects.
- Dr. Krishnan holds memberships in prestigious medical associations around the world. He regularly attends national and international conferences on Spinal surgery and has also presented numerous papers during such meetings.
- Dr. Krishnan has been working with the Indian Council of Medical Research to utilize stem cells and growth factors for treating spinal deformity, spinal cord injury, and disc disorders.
Best Hospitals in India for Hip arthroscopy
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital is a 700-bedded multispecialty hospital in the heart of the capital of India. It is a part of Apollo Hospital group, one of India’s most reputed healthcare chains. Indraprastha Apollo Hospital has been accredited by Joint Commission International, making it the first internationally accredited hospital in the country in 2005.
- There are 52 specialties in the hospital with one of the best cardiology centers in the country. The hospital is also equipped with State of the art infrastructure facilities with the largest Sleep Lab in Asia and the largest number of ICU bed facilities in India.
- The hospital also has one of the largest dialysis units in India along with a dedicated Bone Marrow Transplant unit.
- The latest and highly advanced technologies that are installed in the hospital include Da Vinci Robotic Surgery System, PET-MR, PET-CT, Cobalt-based HDR Brachytherapy, Brain Lab Navigation System, Tilting MRI, Portable CT scanner, 3 Tesla MRI, 128 Slice CT scanner, DSA Lab, Endosonography, Hyperbaric Chamber and Fibro scan.
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute is a multi-super-specialty, quaternary care hospital with 1000 beds. The hospital comprises reputed clinicians, and international faculty and is also equipped with cutting-edge technology. The hospital is a part of Fortis Healthcare Limited, a reputed chain of private hospitals in India.
- It is a NABH-accredited hospital that is spread across 11 acres of land and has a capacity of 1000 beds. The hospital has 55 specialties and is one of the premier health care centers in the Asia Pacific region popularly known as “the Mecca of Healthcare”.
- The hospital has 260 diagnostic centers and is also equipped with the latest and advanced techniques that include 3 Telsa which is the world’s first Digital MRI technology. The hospital also has world-class Radiation Therapy techniques which have been developed by leading technology experts from Elekta and Brain Lab.
Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon
- One of India’s best and largest multi-specialty hospitals, Medanta was built with the aim to bring India to the highest standards of medical care. The hospital has been providing the best medical services to its patients, since its inception, with care, commitment, and compassion.
- Equipped with 1250 beds, the hospital was founded by Dr. Naresh Trehan in the year 2009 with an aim to provide the best medical care at affordable costs. The hospital is spread across 43 acres and includes 45 operation theatres and 350 beds dedicated solely to ICU. The hospital includes over 800 doctors, and more than 22 specialty departments and has a dedicated floor for individual specialty in order to offer the best services under one roof.
- The hospital is considered one of the premier institutes in India for Cardiac Care and includes staffs and members of high caliber. The hospital has 6 distinct centers of excellence.
Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- One of the well-regarded providers in India committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence and patient care, Max Super Specialty Hospital is a part of Max Healthcare, which is the second-largest healthcare chain in India. Regarded as one of the most well-regarded healthcare providers in the country, Max Super Specialty Hospital is committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence as well as patient care. The hospital is also equipped with the latest technology as well as cutting-edge research. The hospital is known to deliver and ensure the highest level of patient care.
- The hospital has more than 500 beds and offers treatment for over 35 specialties. The hospital also holds the credit of having installed the first Brain Suite in Asia. This is a highly advanced Neurosurgical machine that allows MRI to be taken while surgery is ongoing.
- Other advanced and latest technologies are also installed in the hospital such as the 1.5 Tesla MRI machine, 64 Slice CT Angiography, 4D ECHO, LINAC, and 3.5T MRI machine.
Fortis Escorts Hospital, New Delhi
- Over the last 33 years, the Fortis Escorts Heart Institute has set new standards in cardiac treatment with groundbreaking research. It is now known around the world as a centre of expertise for Cardiac Bypass Surgery, Interventional Cardiology, Non-invasive Cardiology, Paediatric Cardiology, and Paediatric Cardiac Surgery.
- The hospital has cutting-edge laboratories that perform a wide range of diagnostic tests in Nuclear Medicine, Radiology, Biochemistry, Haematology, Transfusion Medicine, and Microbiology.
- Fortis Escorts Heart Institute boasts a diverse group of bright and experienced doctors who are backed up by a team of highly qualified, experienced, and devoted support professionals as well as cutting-edge equipment such as the recently installed Dual CT Scan.
- Approximately 200 cardiac doctors and 1600 personnel currently collaborate to manage over 14,500 admissions and 7,200 emergency situations each year. The hospital now has a 310-bed infrastructure, as well as five cath labs and a slew of other world-class amenities.
Apollo Hospital, Chennai
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, is one of the best hospitals for heart care in India. Over the years, Apollo has expanded all over India, as a healthcare chain.
- India’s first ‘Only Pancreas’ transplant was performed in Apollo Hospital. The hospital is known for successfully performing Asia’s first en-bloc combined heart and liver transplant, and over the years, it has attained a remarkable achievement in the global healthcare space. Around 3-4 organ transplants are performed in the hospital per day.
- Equipped with over 500 beds, this hospital in Chennai was established in 1983 and since then has been among the most preferred hospital for patients from all over the world.
- The hospital holds accreditation of the NABH and JCI and is the first hospital in India to be ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certified. It is also the first South Indian Hospital to receive subsequent reaccreditation from the JCI USA 4 times.
Rela Hospital, Chennai
- RIMC is a multi-specialty hospital in a sprawling area of 36 acres located in Chromepet, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
- The facility has 450 beds including 130 critical care beds, 9 operating rooms, modern reference laboratories and radiology services, and is conveniently located near road, rail and air transportation.
- RIMC is led and managed by world-renowned physicians committed to healthcare.
- RIMC offers the broadest range of clinical care, education, and research. The hospital offers state-of-the-art technology and modern treatment facilities designed to provide health care at an affordable cost.
- Rela Institute is driven by patient needs, comfort and confidence.
Artemis Hospital, Gurugram
- One of the most well-known hospitals in the Delhi NCR, Artemis Hospital is the first hospital in Gurugram to get accredited by the Joint Commission International.
- With more than 40 specialties, the hospital has been designed to be one of the most technically advanced hospitals in the country, with the best medical and surgical health care. The hospital has eleven special and dedicated centers, for Heart, Cancer, Neurosciences, etc.
- The latest technologies in the hospital include Endovascular Hybrid Operating Suite and Flat panel Cath Labs for the cardiovascular department, 3 Tesla MRI, 16 slice PET CT, 64 Slice Cardiac CT Scan, HDR Brachytherapy, and highly advanced Image Guided Radiation Therapy techniques (LINAC) are installed in the hospital.
- The hospital has won several awards as well, since its inception.
BLK Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- Equipped with 650 beds, BLK Superspecialty Hospital is the largest stand-alone private sector hospital in Delhi. With over 1500 healthcare providers and 150 globally renowned super specialists, the hospital is one of Asia’s largest Bone Marrow Transplant Centres. The hospital is known for having some of the best cancer doctors in the country.
- The hospital is NABH and NABL accredited and was inaugurated by the first Prime Minister of India. Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru. It is one of the largest tertiary care private hospitals in India which was spread across 5 acres and has a capacity of 650 beds.
- The hospital has 80 consultation rooms spread across two floors, especially for OPD services.
- With one of the largest critical care programs, the hospital is equipped with 125 ICU beds specifically dedicated to the surgical, medical, neonatal, cardiac, pediatric, neuroscience and organ transplant units.
CARE Hospitals, Hyderabad
- CARE Hospitals were established in the year 2000, by CARE Group.
- The multispecialty hospital has 435 beds, including 120 critical care beds, with an annual inflow of 180000 outpatients and 16,000 in-patients.
- The hospital provides specialty medical services in Cardiology, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Pediatric Cardiology, Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Nephrology, and Urology.
- The hospital has the first dual source, 128 slice CT scanner (for high precision cardiac imaging) – the first of its kind in south India.
- The hospital offers a wide range of accommodation facilities for the convenience of its varied patient base, ranging from general wards to super deluxe rooms.
Arthroscopy is the examination of the interior of a joint by using an arthroscope, a flexible, small fiber-optic tube with a small camera connected to a monitor. This can allow a surgeon to get a magnified view of your joint. Specially designed arthroscopic surgical tools are also used to perform various types of minimally invasive joint surgery. Hip arthroscopy, which is known as a ‘hip-scope` is a minimally invasive procedure, in which an orthopedic surgeon examines the hip joint with the help of an arthroscope.
This procedure can help the surgeon diagnose the cause of hip pain or any other problem in your joint. Some hip conditions might also be treated arthroscopically. For performing this kind of procedure, the surgeon needs to make a few additional small incisions for creating access points for various arthroscopic needles, scalpels, or other special surgical tools.
Hip arthroscopy can be recommended by your doctor if you are having a painful condition that doesn’t respond well to nonsurgical treatment. Nonsurgical treatment generally includes rest, medications, and physical therapy or injections that can reduce the inflammation.
Hip arthroscopy can help to relieve painful symptoms of several problems, that can damage the labrum, articular cartilage, or any other soft tissues that are surrounding the joint. This damage can result from an injury. In some cases, other orthopedic conditions can also result in problems, such as:
- Femoroacetabular impingement (FAI) is a disorder in which extra bone develops along the acetabulum or on the femoral head. This bone overgrowth, which is known as spurs, cause damage to the soft tissues of the hip during movement. Sometimes bone spurs can develop in both the acetabulum and femoral head.
- Snapping hip syndromes cause a tendon to rub across the outside of the joint. This type of snapping or popping is generally harmless and does not require treatment. The tendon in some cases can get damaged due to repeated rubbing.
- Dysplasia is another condition in which your hip socket becomes abnormally shallow. This can put more stress on the labrum for keeping the femoral head within the socket, and this makes the labrum more susceptible to tearing.
- Loose bodies are fragments of bone or cartilage that become loose and move around within the joint.
- Synovitis can cause inflammation in the tissues that surround the joint to become inflamed.
- Hip joint infection
It is likely that your orthopedic surgeon will recommend you to see your primary doctor so that he/she is able to assess your general health prior to the surgery. He/she will identify any problems that can interfere with the procedure. If you are having certain health risks, a more extensive evaluation might be required before the surgery.
If your physical condition is healthy, then it is likely that your hip arthroscopy will be performed as an outpatient procedure. This means that you won’t need to stay at the hospital overnight.
Make sure that you inform your surgeon regarding any medications or supplements that you might be taking. You might need to stop taking some of these before the surgery.
The hospital or surgery center will contact you ahead of time to provide specific details of the procedure. Make sure that you follow the instructions regarding when you need to arrive, as well as when as you need stop consuming food and drink prior to your procedure.
At the start of your procedure, your leg is going to be put in traction. This means that your hip is going to be pulled away from the socket enough for your surgeon to insert instruments, see the entire joint, and perform any treatment as needed.
Surgeons generally draw lines on the hip to indicate specific anatomy structures, such as bone, nerves, and blood vessels, as well as incision placements and portals for the arthroscope.
After the traction is applied, your surgeon will be making a small puncture in your hip, which will be about the size of a buttonhole, for the arthroscope. Through the arthroscope, your surgeon is able to view the inside of your hip and identify any damage.
In the meantime, fluid flows through the arthroscope, to keep the view as well as to control any bleeding. Images from the arthroscope are projected on the video screen so that your surgeon is able to see the inside of your hip as well as any problems. Next, your surgeon is able to evaluate the joint before he/she begins any specific treatments.
Once your surgeon is able to properly identify the problem, he/she will insert small instruments through separate incisions for repairing it. There are various procedures that can be done, depending on your needs.
For tasks such as shaving, cutting, suture passing and grasping, and knot tying, the surgeon uses specialized instruments. In most cases, special devices are used for anchoring stitches into the bone.
The length of the procedure generally depends on what your surgeon finds and the amount of work that needs to be done. At the end of the surgery, the incisions are generally stitched or covered with skin tapes. An absorbent dressing is next applied to the hip.
Symptoms usually improve immediately following the procedure, but sometimes as the irritated joint lining heals, there might be a recurrence of some pain.
You might also feel a watery sensation in the hip or might even hear gurgling noises resulting from the fluid used during surgery. However, this will be absorbed by the body quickly. Swelling should subside in around a week, and any sutures will be removed in seven to ten days. Depending on the specific method used during your procedure, your full recovery time is going to vary.
Generally, hip arthroscopy patients need to use crutches for a week or two, after surgery, and they also require around six weeks of physical therapy. After around three to six months, patients should experience no pain after any physical activity.
Risks & complications
Generally, complications from hip arthroscopy are uncommon.
Any surgery in the hip joint has a small risk of injury to the surrounding nerves or blood vessels. Injury is a possibility in the joint itself.
There is also a small risk of infection, as well as blood clots forming in the legs.