Best Doctors in India for Epilepsy Treatment
- Dr. Sandeep Vaishya is a renowned Neurosurgeon in India, with over 21 years of proficient experience in the field of advanced neurosurgery, he has closely worked with some of the top-notch institutes and hospitals in India.
- Dr. Vaishya is regarded as one of the top surgeons of Gamma Knife Surgery in South Africa and is also considered a renowned surgeon for brachial plexus injuries.
- Dr. Aditya Gupta is one of the top Neurosurgeons in India who co-founded the Institute of Neurosciences at Medanta and functioned there as the Additional Director of the Department of Neurosurgery.
- He is an active member of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons (US), Neurological Society of India, International Gamma Knife Society Treasurer, Indian Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery, and Skull Base Surgery Society.
- Dr. Rana Patir is one of the most experienced and highly qualified Neurosurgeons in India.
- He holds an extensive experience of 32+ years as a neurosurgeon and has performed more than 10,000 neurosurgical procedures till date.
- Dr. Patir is an expert in all kinds of neuro and spine surgeries with a specialization in minimally invasive brain and spine surgery, Epilepsy surgery, pediatric neurosurgery, and neurovascular surgery.
- Completing over 9000 successful neurological procedures, and still counting, Dr. Sudhir Tyagi is one of the top-notch names in India, diligently catering to neurological assistance with his vast knowledge and adept expertise.
- In fact, Dr. Sudhir Tyagi is the first neurosurgeon to use the Image Fusion Technique to localize targets in the deep part of the brain to perform functional stereotactic surgeries. He has great experience in all types of brain and spine surgeries.
- Dr. Bipin Walia is one of the most famous neurosurgeons who has performed over 7000 successful neurosurgeries so far.
- He earned his MBBS and MS (General Surgery) degree from Armed Forces Medical College, Pune, followed by which his, M.Ch(Neurosurgery) from All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.
- Dr. Bipin Walia has over 20 years of experience with his outstanding performance earning him quite some rewards and recognition.
- Dr. Anil Kumar Kansal is a well-known neuro and spine surgeon in Delhi with over 2 decades of experience.
- He has performed over 10,000 neurosurgical procedures including 4500 brain surgeries, 500 endoscopic brain surgeries, 2000 spine surgeries, 400 aneurysms, and 500 anterior cervical microdiscectomies with 60 disc replacement procedures.
- Dr. Kansal holds great skills in aneurysm clippings, neuro-modulation, epilepsy, and neurovascular surgery and has handled several such types of cases in his career.
- Dr. V P Singh is a renowned Neurosurgeon with over 30 years of veteran experience. His competence in cranial, spinal, and peripheral nerves has helped him successfully perform 400+ Intracranial Aneurysm surgical procedures.
- Dr. Singh has also been credited for initiating the Gamma Knife Unit and epilepsy surgery program at All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi. He is proactively involved in the treatment of arteriovenous malformations by radiosurgery techniques and is currently the chairman of the Institute of Neurosciences, Medanta.
- Dr. (Prof.) V S Mehta is a leading Neurosurgeon in India and is considered among the best neurosurgeons in the world.
- He holds an experience of over 4 decades in the field and is an expert in Brachial Plexus surgery, brain stem surgery, spinal tumor surgery, brain aneurysms, and brain tumor surgery.
- He has been honored with the Padma Shri for his dedication and contributions to neurosurgery and spine surgery in India.
- In Paras Dr. V S Mehta has been part of the team to first use the Image-Guided Brain Tumor Navigation Technology for Brain tumor surgery in India.
- Dr. Arun Saroha is a renowned Neurosurgeon with extensive experience in the surgical treatment of all kinds of brain and spine disorders.
- He holds an experience of over 20 years in the field and has performed over 8000 neurosurgeries till date for different types of neuro and spinal diseases.
- Dr. Saroha is an expert in minimally invasive spine surgery, neuro-onco surgery, trauma surgery and is also among the few neurosurgeons with expertise in Pediatric neurosurgery.
- Dr. Sudhir Dubey is a leading Neurosurgeon whose primary area of specialization is Endoscopic Neurosurgery and has been perfecting the procedure since 1998. He has also developed various new Endoneurosurgery techniques for surgeries on the brain, spine, and skull.
- He holds an experience of more than 2 decades in neurosurgery and finds interest in skull base surgery, Pituitary tumor surgery, Brain Aneurysm surgery, CyberKnife Radiosurgery, and brain and spine tumor surgeries.
Best Hospitals in India for Epilepsy Treatment
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital is a 700-bedded multispecialty hospital in the heart of the capital of India. It is a part of Apollo Hospital group, one of India’s most reputed healthcare chains. Indraprastha Apollo Hospital has been accredited by Joint Commission International, making it the first internationally accredited hospital in the country in 2005.
- There are 52 specialties in the hospital with one of the best cardiology centers in the country. The hospital is also equipped with State of the art infrastructure facilities with the largest Sleep Lab in Asia and the largest number of ICU bed facilities in India.
- The hospital also has one of the largest dialysis units in India along with a dedicated Bone Marrow Transplant unit.
- The latest and highly advanced technologies that are installed in the hospital include Da Vinci Robotic Surgery System, PET-MR, PET-CT, Cobalt-based HDR Brachytherapy, Brain Lab Navigation System, Tilting MRI, Portable CT scanner, 3 Tesla MRI, 128 Slice CT scanner, DSA Lab, Endosonography, Hyperbaric Chamber and Fibro scan.
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute is a multi-super-specialty, quaternary care hospital with 1000 beds. The hospital comprises reputed clinicians, and international faculty and is also equipped with cutting-edge technology. The hospital is a part of Fortis Healthcare Limited, a reputed chain of private hospitals in India.
- It is a NABH-accredited hospital that is spread across 11 acres of land and has a capacity of 1000 beds. The hospital has 55 specialties and is one of the premier health care centers in the Asia Pacific region popularly known as “the Mecca of Healthcare”.
- The hospital has 260 diagnostic centers and is also equipped with the latest and advanced techniques that include 3 Telsa which is the world’s first Digital MRI technology. The hospital also has world-class Radiation Therapy techniques which have been developed by leading technology experts from Elekta and Brain Lab.
Apollo Hospital, Chennai
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, is one of the best hospitals for heart care in India. Over the years, Apollo has expanded all over India, as a healthcare chain.
- India’s first ‘Only Pancreas’ transplant was performed in Apollo Hospital. The hospital is known for successfully performing Asia’s first en-bloc combined heart and liver transplant, and over the years, it has attained a remarkable achievement in the global healthcare space. Around 3-4 organ transplants are performed in the hospital per day.
- Equipped with over 500 beds, this hospital in Chennai was established in 1983 and since then has been among the most preferred hospital for patients from all over the world.
- The hospital holds accreditation of the NABH and JCI and is the first hospital in India to be ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certified. It is also the first South Indian Hospital to receive subsequent reaccreditation from the JCI USA 4 times.
Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon
- One of India’s best and largest multi-specialty hospitals, Medanta was built with the aim to bring India to the highest standards of medical care. The hospital has been providing the best medical services to its patients, since its inception, with care, commitment, and compassion.
- Equipped with 1250 beds, the hospital was founded by Dr. Naresh Trehan in the year 2009 with an aim to provide the best medical care at affordable costs. The hospital is spread across 43 acres and includes 45 operation theatres and 350 beds dedicated solely to ICU. The hospital includes over 800 doctors, and more than 22 specialty departments and has a dedicated floor for individual specialty in order to offer the best services under one roof.
- The hospital is considered one of the premier institutes in India for Cardiac Care and includes staffs and members of high caliber. The hospital has 6 distinct centers of excellence.
Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- One of the well-regarded providers in India committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence and patient care, Max Super Specialty Hospital is a part of Max Healthcare, which is the second-largest healthcare chain in India. Regarded as one of the most well-regarded healthcare providers in the country, Max Super Specialty Hospital is committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence as well as patient care. The hospital is also equipped with the latest technology as well as cutting-edge research. The hospital is known to deliver and ensure the highest level of patient care.
- The hospital has more than 500 beds and offers treatment for over 35 specialties. The hospital also holds the credit of having installed the first Brain Suite in Asia. This is a highly advanced Neurosurgical machine that allows MRI to be taken while surgery is ongoing.
- Other advanced and latest technologies are also installed in the hospital such as the 1.5 Tesla MRI machine, 64 Slice CT Angiography, 4D ECHO, LINAC, and 3.5T MRI machine.
Artemis Hospital, Gurugram
- One of the most well-known hospitals in the Delhi NCR, Artemis Hospital is the first hospital in Gurugram to get accredited by the Joint Commission International.
- With more than 40 specialties, the hospital has been designed to be one of the most technically advanced hospitals in the country, with the best medical and surgical health care. The hospital has eleven special and dedicated centers, for Heart, Cancer, Neurosciences, etc.
- The latest technologies in the hospital include Endovascular Hybrid Operating Suite and Flat panel Cath Labs for the cardiovascular department, 3 Tesla MRI, 16 slice PET CT, 64 Slice Cardiac CT Scan, HDR Brachytherapy, and highly advanced Image Guided Radiation Therapy techniques (LINAC) are installed in the hospital.
- The hospital has won several awards as well, since its inception.
BLK Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- Equipped with 650 beds, BLK Superspecialty Hospital is the largest stand-alone private sector hospital in Delhi.
- With over 1500 healthcare providers and 150 globally renowned super specialists, the hospital is one of Asia’s largest Bone Marrow Transplant Centres. The hospital is known for having some of the best cancer doctors in the country.
- The hospital is NABH and NABL accredited and was inaugurated by the first Prime Minister of India. Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru.
Gleneagles Global Hospitals, Chennai
- Established in 1999, Gleneagles Global Hospital, Chennai, is one of the top healthcare facilities in Southern India. It is part of the Gleneagles Hospital Chain, which is the fourth largest healthcare chain in the country. The hospital specializes in multi-organ transplants of kidneys, liver, lungs, heart, etc.
- The hospital has an excellent infrastructure and state-of-the-art lab and equipment set-up. The hospital boasts cutting-edge technologies, a highly skilled team of doctors and surgeons, and trained support staff. Located in Perumbakam, Chennai, it is one of India’s premier health care destinations. The hospital has performed some of the most complex surgical and clinical procedures in India including multi-organ transplantations.
- The hospital’s lung transplantation program is one of the best in the country. The hospital is known for having performed India’s first single lung transplant and first minimal invasive lung transplant. It is also the only Indian hospital to be associated with King’s College Hospital, London, United Kingdom for liver transplantations.
Fortis Hospital, Mulund, Mumbai
- Fortis Hospital in Mulund is a 315-bed multi-speciality tertiary care hospital with five JCI accreditations that offers a wide variety of diagnostic and therapeutic services. The Fortis Hospital in Mulund delivers patient-centred treatment with cutting-edge technology, highly skilled and experienced surgeons, and paramedical staff.
- This institution houses Maharashtra’s largest multi-organ transplant centre. It is also the first heart transplant centre in western India to conduct 100 or more consecutive heart transplants in under four years. It is the only hospital in the city to have multi-organ transplants and has handled the youngest patient for angioplasty. Fortis Hospital Mulund now boasts the first advanced surgical robot in central Mumbai.
- Cardiology and heart surgery, urology, nephrology, neurosciences, orthopaedics, digestive care, emergency and critical care, and maternity care are among the services provided by the hospital.
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Named after the wife of Indian industrialist Dhirubhai Ambani, the founder of Reliance Industries, this is one of the top hospitals in Mumbai. This 750-bed multi-specialty hospital became operational in 2009. Known as one of India’s most advanced tertiary care facilities, the hospital is designed to raise India’s global standing as a healthcare hub, with an emphasis on excellence in clinical services.
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital uses Protocol and Care Pathway based treatment models to ensure the best outcomes for patients.
- The hospital represents a confluence of top-notch talent, cutting-edge technology, state-of-the-art infrastructure, and, most importantly commitment.
- The hospital also holds the accreditation of the NABH, NABL, CAP, and JCI.
- The hospital has been recognized as the No. 1 Multispecialty Hospital in Mumbai and the West Zone for the fifth year in a row in 2020 by The Week.
What is Epilepsy?
Causes & risk factors of Epilepsy
- Head trauma or sudden blow to the head.
- Brain tumours or brain stroke.
- Infectious diseases like meningitis, AIDS and viral encephalitis.
- Injuries before birth or prenatal injury.
- Having family history of Epilepsy.
- Dementia can increase the risk of epilepsy in older adults.
Symptoms of Epilepsy
- Temporary confusion
- A brief seizure, usually less than 15 seconds, also known as staring spell.
- Uncontrollable & jerking movements of the arms and legs.
- Loss of awareness.
- Fear, anxiety
Types of Seizures
Doctors generally classify seizures either focal or generalized, based on how the abnormal brain activity begins.
Focal Seizures occur when there abnormal activity in just one area of brain.
These seizures are of two types:
- Focal seizures without loss of consciousness – They may change the way things look, smell, feel, taste or sound & may also result in involuntary jerking of a body part, such as an arm or leg but don’t cause a loss of consciousness. They were once called simple partial seizures.
- Focal seizures with impaired awareness – These seizures involve a change or loss of consciousness or awareness. & were once called complex partial seizures.
Generalized seizures involve all areas of the brain.
Types of Generalized seizures.
- Absence seizures also known as petit mal seizures – They usually occur in children and involve subtle body movements such as eye blinking or lip smacking.
- Tonic seizures – These usually affect muscles in your back, arms and legs.
- Atonic seizures – Also known as drop seizures, atonic seizures can cause a loss of muscle control, which may cause sudden collapse.
- Clonic seizures – Clonic seizures involve repeated or rhythmic, jerking muscle movements.
- Myoclonic seizures – These usually involve sudden brief jerks.
- Tonic-clonic seizures – These were previously known as grand mal seizures, can cause an abrupt loss of consciousness, body stiffening and shaking, and sometimes loss of bladder control or biting the tongue
Diagnosis of Epilepsy
Treatment of Epilepsy
When medications fail to provide adequate control over seizures, surgery may be an option. Surgery is generally considered when:
- Seizures originate in a small and well-defined region of the brain
- The said area doesn’t control any vital function of the body like vision, hearing, speech etc.
The surgical options for the treatment of Epilepsy are as follows:
Resective surgery is the most common surgery used for the treatment of Epilepsy. This surgery involves removal of brain tissues in the area of the brain where seizures originate.
Corpus callosotomy is the surgery of bundle of nerves that connects the right and left sides of the brain & is usually used in children.
Functional hemispherectomy, is primarily used in children & involves the undercutting of the seizure-inducing hemisphere.
Apart from medications and surgery, the following therapies can offer an alternative for treating epilepsy.