Best Doctors in India for Congenital Limb Defect Correction
- Dr. B N Prasad is a well-known Orthopedic Surgeon with over 3 decades of experience.
- Dr. B N Prasad is among the few surgeons in the country to specialize in both adult and pediatric orthopedics and has taken up numerous cases and treated patients with excellent outcomes.
- He provides diagnostic as well as surgical treatment for various types of orthopedic disorders such as arthritis and osteoporosis.
- Dr. Alaric Aroojis is a renowned Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon in Mumbai and his expertise and primary area of specialization lie in deformity correction, cerebral palsy, and congenital anomalies. He is also an expert in performing complex pelvic osteotomy for congenital hip dislocation in young patients.
- He holds an extensive experience of more than 15 years in Pediatric Orthopedics and is highly skilled at using minimally invasive procedures for difficult limb deformity corrections.
- Dr. A B Govindaraj is a leading Orthopedic surgeon who holds an extensive experience of more than 3 decades in the field and performs over 300 joint replacement surgeries annually.
- He excels in unilateral and bilateral total knee replacement, total hip replacement, and shoulder replacement surgeries.
- Dr. Manoj Padman is a renowned Pediatric Orthopedic surgeon in India specializing in the management and treatment of diseases and disorders of the musculoskeletal system in young children.
- Dr. Manoj Padman is considered one of the best surgeons in India for the correction of deformities and congenital defects in children. His primary interest includes birth anomalies, hip pathologies, post-infective and post-traumatic sequelae, and limb reconstruction surgeries.
- Dr. Sanjay Sarup is a leading Orthopedic Surgeon with over 24 years of experience during which he has been associated with the best hospitals in the country.
- He performs a number of orthopedic procedures that includes surgery for correcting Scoliosis and Kyphosis, Club foot, dislocated hips, and hip deformity since birth among several other procedures.
- Dr. Sarup received his training in orthopedic surgery from leading hospitals in India and UK and holds a Fellowship of the Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Glasgow in Pediatric Orthopedics.
- Dr. Ramani Narasimhan is a leading Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon in Delhi and one of the best in India for the treatment of all kinds of pediatric orthopedic disorders.
- He specializes primarily in pediatric hip and spine surgery among other orthopedic procedures that include deformity correction surgery, joints, and bone repair and replacement, and surgery for sports injuries, fractures, and trauma. limb deficiency has been published in renowned national and international journals.
Best Hospitals in India for Congenital Limb Defect Correction
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital is a 700-bedded multispecialty hospital in the heart of the capital of India. It is a part of Apollo Hospital group, one of India’s most reputed healthcare chains. Indraprastha Apollo Hospital has been accredited by Joint Commission International, making it the first internationally accredited hospital in the country in 2005.
- There are 52 specialties in the hospital with one of the best cardiology centers in the country. The hospital is also equipped with State of the art infrastructure facilities with the largest Sleep Lab in Asia and the largest number of ICU bed facilities in India.
- The hospital also has one of the largest dialysis units in India along with a dedicated Bone Marrow Transplant unit.
- The latest and highly advanced technologies that are installed in the hospital include Da Vinci Robotic Surgery System, PET-MR, PET-CT, Cobalt-based HDR Brachytherapy, Brain Lab Navigation System, Tilting MRI, Portable CT scanner, 3 Tesla MRI, 128 Slice CT scanner, DSA Lab, Endosonography, Hyperbaric Chamber and Fibro scan.
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute is a multi-super-specialty, quaternary care hospital with 1000 beds. The hospital comprises reputed clinicians, and international faculty and is also equipped with cutting-edge technology. The hospital is a part of Fortis Healthcare Limited, a reputed chain of private hospitals in India.
- It is a NABH-accredited hospital that is spread across 11 acres of land and has a capacity of 1000 beds. The hospital has 55 specialties and is one of the premier health care centers in the Asia Pacific region popularly known as “the Mecca of Healthcare”.
- The hospital has 260 diagnostic centers and is also equipped with the latest and advanced techniques that include 3 Telsa which is the world’s first Digital MRI technology. The hospital also has world-class Radiation Therapy techniques which have been developed by leading technology experts from Elekta and Brain Lab.
Apollo Hospital, Chennai
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, is one of the best hospitals for heart care in India. Over the years, Apollo has expanded all over India, as a healthcare chain.
- India’s first ‘Only Pancreas’ transplant was performed in Apollo Hospital. The hospital is known for successfully performing Asia’s first en-bloc combined heart and liver transplant, and over the years, it has attained a remarkable achievement in the global healthcare space. Around 3-4 organ transplants are performed in the hospital per day.
- Equipped with over 500 beds, this hospital in Chennai was established in 1983 and since then has been among the most preferred hospital for patients from all over the world.
- The hospital holds accreditation of the NABH and JCI and is the first hospital in India to be ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certified. It is also the first South Indian Hospital to receive subsequent reaccreditation from the JCI USA 4 times.
Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon
- One of India’s best and largest multi-specialty hospitals, Medanta was built with the aim to bring India to the highest standards of medical care. The hospital has been providing the best medical services to its patients, since its inception, with care, commitment, and compassion.
- Equipped with 1250 beds, the hospital was founded by Dr. Naresh Trehan in the year 2009 with an aim to provide the best medical care at affordable costs. The hospital is spread across 43 acres and includes 45 operation theatres and 350 beds dedicated solely to ICU. The hospital includes over 800 doctors, and more than 22 specialty departments and has a dedicated floor for individual specialty in order to offer the best services under one roof.
- The hospital is considered one of the premier institutes in India for Cardiac Care and includes staffs and members of high caliber. The hospital has 6 distinct centers of excellence.
Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- One of the well-regarded providers in India committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence and patient care, Max Super Specialty Hospital is a part of Max Healthcare, which is the second-largest healthcare chain in India. Regarded as one of the most well-regarded healthcare providers in the country, Max Super Specialty Hospital is committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence as well as patient care. The hospital is also equipped with the latest technology as well as cutting-edge research. The hospital is known to deliver and ensure the highest level of patient care.
- The hospital has more than 500 beds and offers treatment for over 35 specialties. The hospital also holds the credit of having installed the first Brain Suite in Asia. This is a highly advanced Neurosurgical machine that allows MRI to be taken while surgery is ongoing.
- Other advanced and latest technologies are also installed in the hospital such as the 1.5 Tesla MRI machine, 64 Slice CT Angiography, 4D ECHO, LINAC, and 3.5T MRI machine.
Artemis Hospital, Gurugram
- One of the most well-known hospitals in the Delhi NCR, Artemis Hospital is the first hospital in Gurugram to get accredited by the Joint Commission International.
- With more than 40 specialties, the hospital has been designed to be one of the most technically advanced hospitals in the country, with the best medical and surgical health care. The hospital has eleven special and dedicated centers, for Heart, Cancer, Neurosciences, etc.
- The latest technologies in the hospital include Endovascular Hybrid Operating Suite and Flat panel Cath Labs for the cardiovascular department, 3 Tesla MRI, 16 slice PET CT, 64 Slice Cardiac CT Scan, HDR Brachytherapy, and highly advanced Image Guided Radiation Therapy techniques (LINAC) are installed in the hospital.
- The hospital has won several awards as well, since its inception.
BLK Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- Equipped with 650 beds, BLK Superspecialty Hospital is the largest stand-alone private sector hospital in Delhi.
- With over 1500 healthcare providers and 150 globally renowned super specialists, the hospital is one of Asia’s largest Bone Marrow Transplant Centres. The hospital is known for having some of the best cancer doctors in the country.
- The hospital is NABH and NABL accredited and was inaugurated by the first Prime Minister of India. Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru.
Gleneagles Global Hospitals, Chennai
- Established in 1999, Gleneagles Global Hospital, Chennai, is one of the top healthcare facilities in Southern India. It is part of the Gleneagles Hospital Chain, which is the fourth largest healthcare chain in the country. The hospital specializes in multi-organ transplants of kidneys, liver, lungs, heart, etc.
- The hospital has an excellent infrastructure and state-of-the-art lab and equipment set-up. The hospital boasts cutting-edge technologies, a highly skilled team of doctors and surgeons, and trained support staff. Located in Perumbakam, Chennai, it is one of India’s premier health care destinations. The hospital has performed some of the most complex surgical and clinical procedures in India including multi-organ transplantations.
- The hospital’s lung transplantation program is one of the best in the country. The hospital is known for having performed India’s first single lung transplant and first minimal invasive lung transplant. It is also the only Indian hospital to be associated with King’s College Hospital, London, United Kingdom for liver transplantations.
Fortis Hospital, Mulund, Mumbai
- Fortis Hospital in Mulund is a 315-bed multi-speciality tertiary care hospital with five JCI accreditations that offers a wide variety of diagnostic and therapeutic services. The Fortis Hospital in Mulund delivers patient-centred treatment with cutting-edge technology, highly skilled and experienced surgeons, and paramedical staff.
- This institution houses Maharashtra’s largest multi-organ transplant centre. It is also the first heart transplant centre in western India to conduct 100 or more consecutive heart transplants in under four years. It is the only hospital in the city to have multi-organ transplants and has handled the youngest patient for angioplasty. Fortis Hospital Mulund now boasts the first advanced surgical robot in central Mumbai.
- Cardiology and heart surgery, urology, nephrology, neurosciences, orthopaedics, digestive care, emergency and critical care, and maternity care are among the services provided by the hospital.
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Named after the wife of Indian industrialist Dhirubhai Ambani, the founder of Reliance Industries, this is one of the top hospitals in Mumbai. This 750-bed multi-specialty hospital became operational in 2009. Known as one of India’s most advanced tertiary care facilities, the hospital is designed to raise India’s global standing as a healthcare hub, with an emphasis on excellence in clinical services.
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital uses Protocol and Care Pathway based treatment models to ensure the best outcomes for patients.
- The hospital represents a confluence of top-notch talent, cutting-edge technology, state-of-the-art infrastructure, and, most importantly commitment.
- The hospital also holds the accreditation of the NABH, NABL, CAP, and JCI.
- The hospital has been recognized as the No. 1 Multispecialty Hospital in Mumbai and the West Zone for the fifth year in a row in 2020 by The Week.
Congenital Limb Defect
Congenital Limb Defect is a medical condition or a birth defect that occurs in unborn babies where the entire upper or lower limb or a section of the limbs fails to form or grow normally leading to limb abnormalities or defects, as commonly known in the growing fetus.
Corrective measures for this condition vary from child to child with the overall corrective procedure aiming to help the child grow up and lead a normal life with the deformity.
Treatment techniques may range from surgical procedures to prosthetics or rehabilitation therapy.
Types of Limb Defects
Primarily there are two types of limb deficiencies, namely,
1. Longitudinal Deficiency- In this condition, there is either partial or complete absence of elements like radius fibula or tibia within the limb.
2. Transverse- In this condition, a portion of the element within the length of the limb is present, but only to a certain point and hence the limb may resemble an amputation stump due to the selective presence of elements in the limb.
Other types may include preaxial polydactyly, a classic example for which can be an extra finger, which may or may not be fully formed. In some rare cases, an extra duplicate ring, middle or index finger can be formed due to central polydactyly and Syndactyly is the webbing of fingers or toe, which is also considered a limb deformity or defect. The doctors or the medical team will help you understand the exact type of defect your child has and a medical treatment method or correction would be suggested based on the condition of the child.
General causes of Congenital Limb Defects
The exact cause for this condition cannot be pinpointed as of yet. However, medical professionals have researched some general causes that tend to cause congenital limb defects in babies. Some of them are-
- Unhostile uterine environment for the baby
- Genetic Conditions passed on by the heredity
- Growth restrictions or unfavourable conditions that affect the fetus development and growth within the uterus.
- Exposure to chemicals while still in the womb
- Intake of certain harsh or strong medications by the mother during pregnancy
Risks Factors for Congenital Limb Defects
Medical professionals list certain risks that might increase the chances of limb deformities or physical defects in unborn babies. Some of them are-
- Tobacco Exposure during pregnancy
- Chemical Exposure during pregnancy
- Mechanical Forces during pregnancy
Possible correction or treatment methods
Treatment or corrective measures for this condition depends on the child’s age, weight and general health conditions. Other factors to be considered before deciding on the treatment method includes the baby’s tolerance to medications or therapies and the type of deformity the baby is suffering.
The usual treatment method includes:
Prosthetics are usually recommended for conditions where the entire limb along with its elements are missing.
The primary goal for congenital limb defect correction is to-
- Help the child develop the feeling of independence
- Help the child get accustomed to their lifestyle and normal routine despite the condition
- Ensure normal development of the child is not restricted due to this condition
- Cosmetically improve the overall outlook and convenience of the child
- Encourage the child to participate in self-care
Post treatment care & precaution
The initial days can be quite tough, not just for the patient, but for his or her family too. However, helping your child get used to independence and self-care from the very beginning is important since habit-forming attitudes at a tender age stick to you for the rest of your life. Families may try physical therapy at home or through a professional, based on doctor’s recommendations. Families are requested to wholeheartedly support the child suffering the defects and actively help them overcome daily activities or hurdles.
What are the chances of my baby having congenital Limb Defect?
Currently, the statistics say 7.9/10,000 live babies can suffer from this condition.
Can ultrasound detect defects in unborn babies?
Ultrasound can often detect physical defects in the unborn baby, so chances are that conditions like congenital limb defects can be easily spotted during the later stages of the pregnancy. However, defects in the kidney, heart, or even certain cleft palate situations go unnoticed in ultrasound.
Can these limb defects be inherited?
95% of limb defects are not based on heredity or family history. However, certain conditions like extra toes or fingers can be due to inherited genes.