Best Doctors in India for Bowel Obstruction Treatment
- Dr. Yogesh Batra is one of the best medical gastroenterologists in New Delhi, India.
- Dr. Batra specializes in therapeutic endoscopy (EUS, ERCP), hepatology, pancreatic disease, and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). He has successfully performed a variety of diagnostic and therapeutic GI procedures on hundreds of patients throughout his career.
- Dr. Pawan Rawal continued to work in PGIMER, Chandigarh after completing his DM for the next few years and gained proficiency in clinical Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and its application to patient care.
- He has performed several adults and pediatric upper G I endoscopies/ colonoscopies, ERCPs, capsule endoscopies, and push and double-balloon enteroscopy. Dr. Pawan Rawal is quite experienced in performing all kinds of therapeutic procedures.
- Dr. Subhash Gupta is one of the finest Gastrointestinal and Liver Transplant Surgeons in the country. He has garnered an outstanding reputation in the field of Biliary, pancreas, and liver transplantation.
- He has conducted over 300 Living Donor Liver Transplants in the year 2013 each lasting 10-16 hours long.
- Dr. Subhash Gupta is also known to pioneer the development of Living Donor Transplant or LDLT.
- Known to be a pioneer in the field of liver transplantation, Dr. Arvinder Singh Soin leads one of the world’s most successful liver transplant programs at Medanta. Currently, he is the Chairman of the Institute of Liver Transplantation and Regenerative Medicine, at Medanata- The Medicity, Gurgaon, India.
- Quite renowned for having a 95 percent success rate, and having performed over 2500 liver transplants throughout his career, Dr. Arvinder Singh Soin was awarded the Padma Shri by the President of India, for his contributions to the field of Medicine.
- Dr. Vivek Vij is considered one of the most reputed liver transplant surgeons who has over 17 years of proficient experience and has performed multiple exemplary medical procedures involving advanced surgical skills that cover the entire gamut of gastroenterological surgeries.
- Dr. Vivek Vij’s expertise lies in Adult & Paediatric Liver Transplant, Complex Liver Surgery, Advanced Pancreato-biliary Surgeries, Advanced Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgeries, Basic Science Research, and Regenerative Medicine. His outstanding expertise in liver transplant procedures has earned him many accolades and prestige.
- Dr. Avnish Kumar Seth is a well-renowned name in the field of gastroenterology. With fellowships in Liver transplant (Birmingham, UK) and Endoscopic ultrasound (South Carolina Alabama, USA), Dr. Avnish Seth’s areas of interest include treatment of hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, liver transplantation, and advanced GI endoscopic procedures.
- Dr. Avnish Kumar Seth has over two decades of experience in Gastroenterology Hepatobiliary Sciences. An expert in Diagnostic Therapeutic GI Endoscopy, Colonoscopy, ERCP, and Liver Transplantation.
- Dr. Deepak Govil is one of the best Surgical Gastroenterologists in India, having over 29 years of experience in GI procedures. He has worked as a senior Gastro and laparoscopic surgeon at Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals.
- Dr. Govil, the founder of PSRI’s Department of GI Surgery, has done a lot of significant GI surgical interventions.
- He is well-known for having done liver transplants upon living donors. At Apollo Hospital, he has performed over 2000 surgeries that include the liver, gastrointestinal tract, and laparoscopic procedures.
- In addition to his fieldwork, Dr. Govil has taught at prestigious medical institutes in Delhi.
- Dr. D K Bhargava is a Medical Gastroenterologist working at Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, New Delhi.
- He has 45 years of experience in his field.
- Dr. Bhargava was a Professor of Gastroenterology at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi formerly.
- Some of the services he provides are Colonoscopy, Gastroenteritis Treatment, Acidity Treatment, and Irritable Bowel Syndrome Treatment.
- Exceptionally qualified Dr. D K Bhargava has received the Padma Shri Award and Dr. B C Roy National Award from the President of India.
- He has published more than 150 articles, papers, and journals throughout his career.
- He is a member of the American Gastroenterological Association, Indian Society of Gastroenterology and American College of Gastroenterology.
- Dr. Anupam Sibal is one of the best Pediatric Gastroenterologists in Delhi, having nearly 26 years of experience in treating GI and liver disorders.
- He is a senior consultant for Pediatric Gastroenterology and Hepatology at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, Delhi. Additionally, he is working as Group Medical Director of Apollo Hospitals.
- He has expertise in Congenital Disorders Evaluation & Treatment, Growth & Development Management, injuries in children, and complete Paediatric health checkups.
- Dr. Sibal went for International certifications and training to improvise.
- Dr. Sibal won many National and International Awards for his excellent work.
- Besides authoring 99 medical writing Dr. Sibal has written a bestselling book, “Is Your Child Ready to Face the World?” and edited/proofread a textbook on Gastroenterology & Hepatology.
- Dr. (Prof.) Mohamed Rela is known as one of the best liver transplant surgeons in the world. His name has also entered the Guinness Book of Records for performing liver transplantation of a 5-day-old baby.
- With more than 30 years of experience, Dr. Rela is known as a pioneer in liver transplantation & hepatopancreatobiliary (HPB) surgery.
- Dr. Mohamed Rela is the Chairman and Director of Dr. Rela Institute and Medical Centre, Chennai, India; and the Professor of Liver Surgery and Transplantation, at King’s College, Hospital in London as well.
- During his career of almost 30 years, Dr. Rela has performed over 4500 liver transplantations worldwide.
Best Hospitals in India for Bowel Obstruction Treatment
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital is a 700-bedded multispecialty hospital in the heart of the capital of India. It is a part of Apollo Hospital group, one of India’s most reputed healthcare chains. Indraprastha Apollo Hospital has been accredited by Joint Commission International, making it the first internationally accredited hospital in the country in 2005.
- There are 52 specialties in the hospital with one of the best cardiology centers in the country. The hospital is also equipped with State of the art infrastructure facilities with the largest Sleep Lab in Asia and the largest number of ICU bed facilities in India.
- The hospital also has one of the largest dialysis units in India along with a dedicated Bone Marrow Transplant unit.
- The latest and highly advanced technologies that are installed in the hospital include Da Vinci Robotic Surgery System, PET-MR, PET-CT, Cobalt-based HDR Brachytherapy, Brain Lab Navigation System, Tilting MRI, Portable CT scanner, 3 Tesla MRI, 128 Slice CT scanner, DSA Lab, Endosonography, Hyperbaric Chamber and Fibro scan.
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute is a multi-super-specialty, quaternary care hospital with 1000 beds. The hospital comprises reputed clinicians, and international faculty and is also equipped with cutting-edge technology. The hospital is a part of Fortis Healthcare Limited, a reputed chain of private hospitals in India.
- It is a NABH-accredited hospital that is spread across 11 acres of land and has a capacity of 1000 beds. The hospital has 55 specialties and is one of the premier health care centers in the Asia Pacific region popularly known as “the Mecca of Healthcare”.
- The hospital has 260 diagnostic centers and is also equipped with the latest and advanced techniques that include 3 Telsa which is the world’s first Digital MRI technology. The hospital also has world-class Radiation Therapy techniques which have been developed by leading technology experts from Elekta and Brain Lab.
Apollo Hospital, Chennai
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, is one of the best hospitals for heart care in India. Over the years, Apollo has expanded all over India, as a healthcare chain.
- India’s first ‘Only Pancreas’ transplant was performed in Apollo Hospital. The hospital is known for successfully performing Asia’s first en-bloc combined heart and liver transplant, and over the years, it has attained a remarkable achievement in the global healthcare space. Around 3-4 organ transplants are performed in the hospital per day.
- Equipped with over 500 beds, this hospital in Chennai was established in 1983 and since then has been among the most preferred hospital for patients from all over the world.
- The hospital holds accreditation of the NABH and JCI and is the first hospital in India to be ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certified. It is also the first South Indian Hospital to receive subsequent reaccreditation from the JCI USA 4 times.
Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon
- One of India’s best and largest multi-specialty hospitals, Medanta was built with the aim to bring India to the highest standards of medical care. The hospital has been providing the best medical services to its patients, since its inception, with care, commitment, and compassion.
- Equipped with 1250 beds, the hospital was founded by Dr. Naresh Trehan in the year 2009 with an aim to provide the best medical care at affordable costs. The hospital is spread across 43 acres and includes 45 operation theatres and 350 beds dedicated solely to ICU. The hospital includes over 800 doctors, and more than 22 specialty departments and has a dedicated floor for individual specialty in order to offer the best services under one roof.
- The hospital is considered one of the premier institutes in India for Cardiac Care and includes staffs and members of high caliber. The hospital has 6 distinct centers of excellence.
Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- One of the well-regarded providers in India committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence and patient care, Max Super Specialty Hospital is a part of Max Healthcare, which is the second-largest healthcare chain in India. Regarded as one of the most well-regarded healthcare providers in the country, Max Super Specialty Hospital is committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence as well as patient care. The hospital is also equipped with the latest technology as well as cutting-edge research. The hospital is known to deliver and ensure the highest level of patient care.
- The hospital has more than 500 beds and offers treatment for over 35 specialties. The hospital also holds the credit of having installed the first Brain Suite in Asia. This is a highly advanced Neurosurgical machine that allows MRI to be taken while surgery is ongoing.
- Other advanced and latest technologies are also installed in the hospital such as the 1.5 Tesla MRI machine, 64 Slice CT Angiography, 4D ECHO, LINAC, and 3.5T MRI machine.
Artemis Hospital, Gurugram
- One of the most well-known hospitals in the Delhi NCR, Artemis Hospital is the first hospital in Gurugram to get accredited by the Joint Commission International.
- With more than 40 specialties, the hospital has been designed to be one of the most technically advanced hospitals in the country, with the best medical and surgical health care. The hospital has eleven special and dedicated centers, for Heart, Cancer, Neurosciences, etc.
- The latest technologies in the hospital include Endovascular Hybrid Operating Suite and Flat panel Cath Labs for the cardiovascular department, 3 Tesla MRI, 16 slice PET CT, 64 Slice Cardiac CT Scan, HDR Brachytherapy, and highly advanced Image Guided Radiation Therapy techniques (LINAC) are installed in the hospital.
- The hospital has won several awards as well, since its inception.
BLK Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- Equipped with 650 beds, BLK Superspecialty Hospital is the largest stand-alone private sector hospital in Delhi.
- With over 1500 healthcare providers and 150 globally renowned super specialists, the hospital is one of Asia’s largest Bone Marrow Transplant Centres. The hospital is known for having some of the best cancer doctors in the country.
- The hospital is NABH and NABL accredited and was inaugurated by the first Prime Minister of India. Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru.
Gleneagles Global Hospitals, Chennai
- Established in 1999, Gleneagles Global Hospital, Chennai, is one of the top healthcare facilities in Southern India. It is part of the Gleneagles Hospital Chain, which is the fourth largest healthcare chain in the country. The hospital specializes in multi-organ transplants of kidneys, liver, lungs, heart, etc.
- The hospital has an excellent infrastructure and state-of-the-art lab and equipment set-up. The hospital boasts cutting-edge technologies, a highly skilled team of doctors and surgeons, and trained support staff. Located in Perumbakam, Chennai, it is one of India’s premier health care destinations. The hospital has performed some of the most complex surgical and clinical procedures in India including multi-organ transplantations.
- The hospital’s lung transplantation program is one of the best in the country. The hospital is known for having performed India’s first single lung transplant and first minimal invasive lung transplant. It is also the only Indian hospital to be associated with King’s College Hospital, London, United Kingdom for liver transplantations.
Fortis Hospital, Mulund, Mumbai
- Fortis Hospital in Mulund is a 315-bed multi-speciality tertiary care hospital with five JCI accreditations that offers a wide variety of diagnostic and therapeutic services. The Fortis Hospital in Mulund delivers patient-centred treatment with cutting-edge technology, highly skilled and experienced surgeons, and paramedical staff.
- This institution houses Maharashtra’s largest multi-organ transplant centre. It is also the first heart transplant centre in western India to conduct 100 or more consecutive heart transplants in under four years. It is the only hospital in the city to have multi-organ transplants and has handled the youngest patient for angioplasty. Fortis Hospital Mulund now boasts the first advanced surgical robot in central Mumbai.
- Cardiology and heart surgery, urology, nephrology, neurosciences, orthopaedics, digestive care, emergency and critical care, and maternity care are among the services provided by the hospital.
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Named after the wife of Indian industrialist Dhirubhai Ambani, the founder of Reliance Industries, this is one of the top hospitals in Mumbai. This 750-bed multi-specialty hospital became operational in 2009. Known as one of India’s most advanced tertiary care facilities, the hospital is designed to raise India’s global standing as a healthcare hub, with an emphasis on excellence in clinical services.
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital uses Protocol and Care Pathway based treatment models to ensure the best outcomes for patients.
- The hospital represents a confluence of top-notch talent, cutting-edge technology, state-of-the-art infrastructure, and, most importantly commitment.
- The hospital also holds the accreditation of the NABH, NABL, CAP, and JCI.
- The hospital has been recognized as the No. 1 Multispecialty Hospital in Mumbai and the West Zone for the fifth year in a row in 2020 by The Week.
Bowel obstruction is a condition that creates a blockage in your small or large intestine. Several reasons might be the cause of this potentially dangerous condition. People having a full obstruction can find difficulty in passing stool or gas, if not impossible.
It can be total or partial, depending on whether any contents are able to pass through the obstructed area. A partial obstruction can also cause diarrhea.
An obstruction can lead to a buildup of food, gas, gastric acids, and fluids, as these continue to build up, the pressure increases. This can result in a rupture or a split. Whatever was behind the blockage might enter the abdominal cavity, and spread bacteria, which might even be fatal.
Generally, the symptoms of bowel obstructions are quite distressing and painful. Some of the symptoms include:
- inability to pass stools or gas
- severe pain
- decreased appetite
- swollen belly
The early signs are usually vomiting and diarrhea. If you recognize these symptoms, this means that you will be able to seek treatment before the condition progresses any further.
If you experience fever, after any of these symptoms, then you should speak to a doctor, as it can be a sign of a split in the bowel.
There might be several causes that might lead to your bowels getting blocked. Some of these include the following:
- Part of your bowel might get twisted, due to which it can get closed off and thus, keep anything from passing through.
- It can get inflamed sometimes and even swell up.
- A tumor or other such type of growth inside your bowel might also cause the blockage
- Part of the intestine can also slide into a different part like a telescope
- Scar tissue or hernia may also make the bowel too narrow for anything to pass through it
- Damaged blood vessels leading to the bowel might also cause some bowel tissue to die
In order to diagnose bowel obstruction, your doctor will need to ask you about your medical history, including if you have experienced constipation, or if you have had cancer, as well as what new symptoms you have experienced. He/she might also need to:
Do a physical exam in order to see if you have any pain in your belly, or if they can feel a lump in your belly, or if you’re able to pass gas
CT scan or an X-ray
They’ll put a special liquid that contains barium, i.e. a whitish-silver metal into your rectum. This liquid is going to spread into your bowels and show on an X-ray as a bright area. If there’s a blockage, the barium is going to show it.
Treatment for this condition depends on the cause and how severe your blockage is. Generally, total mechanical obstruction requires surgery. Most cases of bowel obstruction also need some type of medical intervention.
For bowel obstruction, treatment options can include:
Ileus can need a few days of monitoring, and often resolves with time. During this time, people need to limit their intake of food and drink in order to stop further buildup. Doctors can also provide fluid intravenously for keeping people hydrated.
Nasogastric tube is a narrow tube that goes up your nose and further into your stomach. It can help in the removal of fluid and gas which are trapped in the stomach, thus relieving pressure. This can ease your pain and vomiting.
Medication can also help ease discomfort caused by a bowel obstruction. This might include:
- Antinausea medicines for the prevention of vomiting
- Pain relief medication
- Antibiotics for fighting against bacterial infection
A bowel obstruction may lead to several other issues, including:
- electrolyte imbalance
- kidney failure
- a hole in the bowel, which might cause infection
- tissue death in the bowels
- abscess within the abdomen
- sepsis, a potentially fatal blood infection
- pulmonary aspiration, wherein a person inhales solids such as vomit
If you have had surgery in the past for obstructions, you are also at risk of a few complications, which includes:
- Short bowel syndrome, a condition in which part of the bowel is lost or does not work in a proper way
- Wound reopening
- Bowel paralysis
- Nerve damage
A bowel obstruction might also interrupt blood flow in the area. This can also cause some of the complications which are listed above.
It can also cause multiple organ failure, and at worst, death. Therefore, it is quite important to treat bowel obstruction as early as possible.