Best Doctors in India for Basal Cell Carcinoma Treatment
- One of the finest oncologists in India, Dr. Ruqaya Ahmad Mir has been practicing surgical oncology for the past 20 years and is currently functioning as a Senior Consultant, Oncology at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi.
- Dr. Ruqaya Mir is known for her outstanding performance in some of the advanced surgical techniques which include Uterus and Ovary and Limb Conservation surgery and Cytoreductive surgery and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal chemotherapy for advanced colorectal and recurrent ovarian malignancies.
- She is also a well trained Robotic Surgeon practicing implementation of minimal invasion in surgical oncology.
- Dr. P K Das is one of the best Oncologists in India with an extensive career as the Senior Consultant Medical Oncologist, the Hemato- Oncologist, and Academic Coordinator of Dept of medical oncology at the Apollo Cancer Institute in New Delhi.
- With many years of experience at the Apollo Hospital, Dr. P K Das has been diligently treating patients and proactively contributing to the medical sector by working alongside topmost doctors in medical oncology.
- Dr. Dipanjan Panda is one of the well-known medical oncologists in India, having 15 years of expertise in treating bone and soft tissue cancers and gastrointestinal cancers.
- He is credited with starting the country’s first anticancer departments and PDCC program. Dr. Panda developed a medical oncology unit at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital in New Delhi, in association with the Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences. He is currently working at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital in New Delhi as a Senior Consultant, Medical Oncology.
- Dr. Panda has written twenty peer-reviewed papers in national and international journals. He has presented numerous talks at global forums.
- Dr. Amit Agarwal is a highly successful Medical Oncologist whose primary focus lies on pain management in cancer patients and provides treatment specifically for the management of early stages of Hodgkin’s disease and Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma, Non-Metastatic Ewing’s Sarcoma, Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation, and emergency medications for cancer patients.
- Dr. Agarwal has been part of other prestigious cancer hospitals where he has helped in the treatment of patients with various types and rare cases of cancer.
- Dr. Ashok Kumar Vaid is a reputed Medical Oncologist in India with expertise in the treatment of blood, lungs, skin, breast, and gastrointestinal cancers.
- He is famously known for performing among the first 25 bone marrow transplants in a private hospital in India.
- Dr. Ashok Vaid’s primary area of focus lies in Leukemia, Lymphoma, Solid tumors, and the treatment of organ-specific benign and malignant tumors.
- He prefers to treat his patients using non-surgical and pain-free techniques that include hormone therapy, biological therapy, targeted therapy, and chemotherapy.
- Dr. Hari Goyal is the head of the Oncology unit comprising some of the finest oncologists in the country. The team effort gives an edge & advantage to the patients’ management.
- His contribution to oncology is immense & has developed drugs for the management of chemotherapy side effects. This development has helped millions of cancer patients since 2004.
- Dr. Hari Goyal was a part of a large number of clinical trials of cancer research including one of the FDA audited trials.
- Dr. Vinod Raina is among the top and renowned Medical Oncologists in India with more than 38 years of extensive experience in the field.
- His primary expertise lies in Chemotherapy and is the first to perform high-dose chemotherapy in India. He also performed the first peripheral blood stem cell transplant in India.
- He has performed more than 250 bone marrow transplants and over 70 allotransplants for different types of cancers.
- Dr. Rahul Naithani is a reputed clinical hematologist. After his return from Canada, Dr. Naithani started his Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplant program at Max healthcare and is known to have performed over 130 BMTs in the past.
- His incredible skills and proficient work experience are currently helping him indulge in scientific research with multiple publications to his credit helping the national and international medical industry greatly.
- Dr. Manish Singhal is a renowned Medical Oncologist from India practicing the best cancer treatment for over 20 years.
- He is a gold medalist doctor who received specialized training in hematopoietic stem cell transplantation from world-renowned BMT specialists.
- Dr. Singhal is specifically interested in gastrointestinal cancer, GU, breast cancer, leukemia, and lung cancer. He excels in all modalities of chemotherapy, immunotherapy, and the management of oncological emergencies, along with patient medical care.
Best Hospitals in India for Basal Cell Carcinoma Treatment
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital is a 700-bedded multispecialty hospital in the heart of the capital of India. It is a part of Apollo Hospital group, one of India’s most reputed healthcare chains. Indraprastha Apollo Hospital has been accredited by Joint Commission International, making it the first internationally accredited hospital in the country in 2005.
- There are 52 specialties in the hospital with one of the best cardiology centers in the country. The hospital is also equipped with State of the art infrastructure facilities with the largest Sleep Lab in Asia and the largest number of ICU bed facilities in India.
- The hospital also has one of the largest dialysis units in India along with a dedicated Bone Marrow Transplant unit.
- The latest and highly advanced technologies that are installed in the hospital include Da Vinci Robotic Surgery System, PET-MR, PET-CT, Cobalt-based HDR Brachytherapy, Brain Lab Navigation System, Tilting MRI, Portable CT scanner, 3 Tesla MRI, 128 Slice CT scanner, DSA Lab, Endosonography, Hyperbaric Chamber and Fibro scan.
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute is a multi-super-specialty, quaternary care hospital with 1000 beds. The hospital comprises reputed clinicians, and international faculty and is also equipped with cutting-edge technology. The hospital is a part of Fortis Healthcare Limited, a reputed chain of private hospitals in India.
- It is a NABH-accredited hospital that is spread across 11 acres of land and has a capacity of 1000 beds. The hospital has 55 specialties and is one of the premier health care centers in the Asia Pacific region popularly known as “the Mecca of Healthcare”.
- The hospital has 260 diagnostic centers and is also equipped with the latest and advanced techniques that include 3 Telsa which is the world’s first Digital MRI technology. The hospital also has world-class Radiation Therapy techniques which have been developed by leading technology experts from Elekta and Brain Lab.
Apollo Hospital, Chennai
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, is one of the best hospitals for heart care in India. Over the years, Apollo has expanded all over India, as a healthcare chain.
- India’s first ‘Only Pancreas’ transplant was performed in Apollo Hospital. The hospital is known for successfully performing Asia’s first en-bloc combined heart and liver transplant, and over the years, it has attained a remarkable achievement in the global healthcare space. Around 3-4 organ transplants are performed in the hospital per day.
- Equipped with over 500 beds, this hospital in Chennai was established in 1983 and since then has been among the most preferred hospital for patients from all over the world.
- The hospital holds accreditation of the NABH and JCI and is the first hospital in India to be ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certified. It is also the first South Indian Hospital to receive subsequent reaccreditation from the JCI USA 4 times.
Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon
- One of India’s best and largest multi-specialty hospitals, Medanta was built with the aim to bring India to the highest standards of medical care. The hospital has been providing the best medical services to its patients, since its inception, with care, commitment, and compassion.
- Equipped with 1250 beds, the hospital was founded by Dr. Naresh Trehan in the year 2009 with an aim to provide the best medical care at affordable costs. The hospital is spread across 43 acres and includes 45 operation theatres and 350 beds dedicated solely to ICU. The hospital includes over 800 doctors, and more than 22 specialty departments and has a dedicated floor for individual specialty in order to offer the best services under one roof.
- The hospital is considered one of the premier institutes in India for Cardiac Care and includes staffs and members of high caliber. The hospital has 6 distinct centers of excellence.
Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- One of the well-regarded providers in India committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence and patient care, Max Super Specialty Hospital is a part of Max Healthcare, which is the second-largest healthcare chain in India. Regarded as one of the most well-regarded healthcare providers in the country, Max Super Specialty Hospital is committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence as well as patient care. The hospital is also equipped with the latest technology as well as cutting-edge research. The hospital is known to deliver and ensure the highest level of patient care.
- The hospital has more than 500 beds and offers treatment for over 35 specialties. The hospital also holds the credit of having installed the first Brain Suite in Asia. This is a highly advanced Neurosurgical machine that allows MRI to be taken while surgery is ongoing.
- Other advanced and latest technologies are also installed in the hospital such as the 1.5 Tesla MRI machine, 64 Slice CT Angiography, 4D ECHO, LINAC, and 3.5T MRI machine.
Artemis Hospital, Gurugram
- One of the most well-known hospitals in the Delhi NCR, Artemis Hospital is the first hospital in Gurugram to get accredited by the Joint Commission International.
- With more than 40 specialties, the hospital has been designed to be one of the most technically advanced hospitals in the country, with the best medical and surgical health care. The hospital has eleven special and dedicated centers, for Heart, Cancer, Neurosciences, etc.
- The latest technologies in the hospital include Endovascular Hybrid Operating Suite and Flat panel Cath Labs for the cardiovascular department, 3 Tesla MRI, 16 slice PET CT, 64 Slice Cardiac CT Scan, HDR Brachytherapy, and highly advanced Image Guided Radiation Therapy techniques (LINAC) are installed in the hospital.
- The hospital has won several awards as well, since its inception.
BLK Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- Equipped with 650 beds, BLK Superspecialty Hospital is the largest stand-alone private sector hospital in Delhi.
- With over 1500 healthcare providers and 150 globally renowned super specialists, the hospital is one of Asia’s largest Bone Marrow Transplant Centres. The hospital is known for having some of the best cancer doctors in the country.
- The hospital is NABH and NABL accredited and was inaugurated by the first Prime Minister of India. Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru.
Gleneagles Global Hospitals, Chennai
- Established in 1999, Gleneagles Global Hospital, Chennai, is one of the top healthcare facilities in Southern India. It is part of the Gleneagles Hospital Chain, which is the fourth largest healthcare chain in the country. The hospital specializes in multi-organ transplants of kidneys, liver, lungs, heart, etc.
- The hospital has an excellent infrastructure and state-of-the-art lab and equipment set-up. The hospital boasts cutting-edge technologies, a highly skilled team of doctors and surgeons, and trained support staff. Located in Perumbakam, Chennai, it is one of India’s premier health care destinations. The hospital has performed some of the most complex surgical and clinical procedures in India including multi-organ transplantations.
- The hospital’s lung transplantation program is one of the best in the country. The hospital is known for having performed India’s first single lung transplant and first minimal invasive lung transplant. It is also the only Indian hospital to be associated with King’s College Hospital, London, United Kingdom for liver transplantations.
Fortis Hospital, Mulund, Mumbai
- Fortis Hospital in Mulund is a 315-bed multi-speciality tertiary care hospital with five JCI accreditations that offers a wide variety of diagnostic and therapeutic services. The Fortis Hospital in Mulund delivers patient-centred treatment with cutting-edge technology, highly skilled and experienced surgeons, and paramedical staff.
- This institution houses Maharashtra’s largest multi-organ transplant centre. It is also the first heart transplant centre in western India to conduct 100 or more consecutive heart transplants in under four years. It is the only hospital in the city to have multi-organ transplants and has handled the youngest patient for angioplasty. Fortis Hospital Mulund now boasts the first advanced surgical robot in central Mumbai.
- Cardiology and heart surgery, urology, nephrology, neurosciences, orthopaedics, digestive care, emergency and critical care, and maternity care are among the services provided by the hospital.
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Named after the wife of Indian industrialist Dhirubhai Ambani, the founder of Reliance Industries, this is one of the top hospitals in Mumbai. This 750-bed multi-specialty hospital became operational in 2009. Known as one of India’s most advanced tertiary care facilities, the hospital is designed to raise India’s global standing as a healthcare hub, with an emphasis on excellence in clinical services.
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital uses Protocol and Care Pathway based treatment models to ensure the best outcomes for patients.
- The hospital represents a confluence of top-notch talent, cutting-edge technology, state-of-the-art infrastructure, and, most importantly commitment.
- The hospital also holds the accreditation of the NABH, NABL, CAP, and JCI.
- The hospital has been recognized as the No. 1 Multispecialty Hospital in Mumbai and the West Zone for the fifth year in a row in 2020 by The Week.
BASAL CELL CARCINOMA
The tumors usually start off as small shiny bumps, usually on the nose or other parts of your face. But they might occur on any part of the body, including the arms and legs. If you are having fair skin, you are more likely to get this type of cancer.
This cancer also grows very slowly and often it doesn’t show up for several years after intense or long-term exposure to the UV rays of the sun. If you are exposed to the sun a lot or tanning beds, you can even get it a younger age.
Early signs of basal cell carcinoma can include a skin growth in a dome shape with blood vessels in it. It can be pink, black or brown. Initially it comes up like a small pearly bump, which resembles a flesh-colored mole or a pimple, which won’t go away. Sometimes these growths might look dark. Or you might also see shiny pink or red patches which might look a bit scaly.
Another symptom you can watch out for is waxy, hard skin growth.
Basal cell carcinomas are also known to be fragile and they bleed easily.
UV rays from the sun or from a tanning bed are usually known to be the main causes of basal cell carcinoma.
When your skin is hit by the sun’s UV rays, it might cause damage to the DNA in the skin cells. The DNA is holding the code for the way these cells are able to grow. Over time, damage to the DNA might cause cancer to form, though this process usually several years.
Your doctor or a skin specialist (dermatologist) will need to conduct a medical history and exam. Your doctor will conduct a general physical exam and ask you regarding your medical history, changes in your skin or any such signs or symptoms that you might have experienced.
You might be asked when you first notice this kind of skin growth, is the growth or lesion painful, has anyone in your family had skin cancer previously, etc.
Your doctor might also do a skin biopsy, which will involve removing a small sample of a lesion for laboratory testing. This will reveal whether you are having skin cancer and if so, the type of skin cancer. Thy type of skin biopsy that you will undergo will be depending on the type and size of the lesion.
Cutting out the tumor
Your doctor might call this excision. In this procedure, he numbs the tumor along with the skin around it. Then he will scrape the tumor with a spoon-shaped device. After this, he will be cutting out the tumor with a spoon-shaped device. Then he will cut the tumor out as well as a small surrounding area of normal-appearing skin which will be sent to the lab.
If the lab results show there are cancer cells in the area around the tumor, some more of your skin might need removal.
Scraping the tumor away and using electricity for killing cancer cells
Your doctor might term this procedure as ‘curettage and desiccation’. First, your doctor will numb the skin and use a curette, a tool with a spoon-like shape to scrape off your tumor. Your doctor will control your bleeding and kills any other cancer cells using an electric needle.
Freezing your cancer cells
Named after the doctor who invented it, in this procedure, the surgeon removes your tumor layer by layer. He takes out some tissue initially and looks at it under a microscope in order to see if it has any cancer cells before he moves on to the next layer.
If your tumor is larger, has been there for too long or in a sensitive body part, your doctor might recommend this surgery.
Creams and Pills
Your doctor might be suggesting some medicine, which can treat your basal cell carcinoma. The two creams which you put on your skin are:
- fluorouracil (5-FU)
You will need to apply these creams for several weeks and you will need to be checked by your doctor as well, on a regular basis, so that he knows how well they are working.
Targeted drug therapy
Although it is rare, basal cell carcinoma might spread to nearby lymph nodes and other areas in the body. In this situation, your doctor might recommend Targeted drug therapy.
Targeted drug treatments focus on specific weaknesses that are present within the cancer cells. By blocking these weaknesses, targeted drug treatments can cause the death of the cancer cells.
Targeted therapy drugs for basal cell carcinoma can block molecular signals which enable cancer to continue growing. They are usually considered after or when other treatments aren’t possible.
Although it is rare, basal cell carcinoma might spread to nearby lymph nodes and other areas in the body. In this situation, your doctor might recommend Chemotherapy.
Chemotherapy makes the use of powerful drugs to kill cancer cells. When other treatments haven’t helped, this option might be considered.
Chronic exposure to the sun, having fair skin, radiation therapy, increasing age, having a family history of skin cancer or immune-suppressing drugs are some of the reasons that can increase the risks of developing skin cancer.
There are several steps one can take to prevent basal cell carcinoma:
- Avoiding the sun during the middle of the day, i.e. between 10 am and 4 am is very important and
- One should also consider wearing sunscreen and protective clothing when they need to go out.
- Tanning beds need to be avoided.
Check your skin regularly as well, and if you see any significant changes, you need to report it to your doctor.