Best Doctors in India for Adenomyosis Treatment
- With over 20 years of experience in performing complex operations for cancer, and other diseases involving the pancreas, liver, and gall bladder, Dr. Anupam Saha has been the foremost gastro intestinal and Hepato-Pancreato-biliary surgeon of the Indian Armed Forces.
- He did a 1-year fellowship in Liver Transplantation as well, at King’s College Hospital, London.
- For his service, Dr. Anupam Saha has also been awarded the Vishist Sewa Medal by the Armed Forces.
- Dr. (Col) Kumud Rai belongs to the top class of Vascular Surgeons in India. He has more than 25 years of experience in being a Vascular Surgeon.
- Dr. Kumud Rai has been a Tutor for the Royal College of Surgeons in the UK and an examiner in several MCHs.
- Dr. Rai has spent a major part of his life serving the Indian Army in both educational and professional sectors.
- Dr. (Prof.) Mohamed Rela is known as one of the best liver transplant surgeons in the world. His name has also entered the Guinness Book of Records for performing liver transplantation of a 5-day-old baby.
- With more than 30 years of experience, Dr. Rela is known as a pioneer in liver transplantation & hepatopancreatobiliary (HPB) surgery.
- Dr. Mohamed Rela is the Chairman and Director of Dr. Rela Institute and Medical Centre, Chennai, India; and the Professor of Liver Surgery and Transplantation, at King’s College, Hospital in London as well.
- During his career of almost 30 years, Dr. Rela has performed over 4500 liver transplantations worldwide.
- Dr. A B Govindaraj is a leading Orthopedic surgeon who holds an extensive experience of more than 3 decades in the field and performs over 300 joint replacement surgeries annually.
- He excels in unilateral and bilateral total knee replacement, total hip replacement, and shoulder replacement surgeries.
- Dr. A Navaladi Shankar is a well-known spine surgeon and orthopedist in Chennai with 21+ years of experience.
- He completed an MBBS from Al-Ameen Medical College, MNAMS from the National Board of Education, and a Diploma from Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute.
- Dr. Shankar holds expertise in Laminectomy, Lower Back Pain and Neck Pain Treatment, Arthritis Management, and Trauma Surgery.
- Dr. Aakanksha Chawla is one of the best young pulmonologists in Delhi. She is a practicing consultant in Respiratory Medicine/ Pulmonology at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi.
- Dr. Chawla holds a diploma and fellowship in critical care medicine. She specializes in Chest, Critical Care, Respiratory, Pulmonology, Asthma, COPD, TB, ILD, and Tuberculosis treatment.
- Dr. Chawla has offered great satisfaction from her treatment with a small experience of 10 years. She is a good communicator too.
- Dr. Chawla has co-authored many research studies on Respiratory Distress
- Dr. Abhaya Kumar is a leading name in the field of Neurosurgery who is an expert in Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery, Brain surgery, and Stereotactic Radiosurgery and has performed more than 1400 spine surgeries and 1100 brain surgeries in KDAH alone.
- Dr. Abhaya Kumar’s primary focus includes Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery (MISS) and has handled over 800 MISS cases till date in the hospital with 96% successful results.
- Dr. Abhinandan Mishra is one of the young Gastroenterology doctors in Gurugram who is particularly interested in inflammatory bowel disease treatment.
- Dr. Abhinandan Mishra offers Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography, Ascites tap, Endoscopy, Peroral Endoscopic Myotomy, Capsule Endoscopy, Esophageal Manometry, Magnetic Resonance Cholangiopancreatography, etc.
- Dr. Abhishek Deo is one of the finest Gastroenterologists and Hepatologists in India with an outstanding experience of over 24 years.
- His clinical proficiency lies in the field of Gastroenterology, Liver Disease, Diagnostic Therapeutic Endoscopy, and Advanced Therapeutic Endoscopy procedures.
- After completing the initial 14 years of working hand-in-hand with the top gastroenterologists in UK, he returned back to India in 2010 and started his practice in Gastroenterology and General Medicines.
- Dr. Abraham Oomman is one of the best Cardiologists in Chennai, having an experience of 31 years in this field.
- Dr. Oomman offers consultation and also performs cardiac procedures. He specializes in Preventive Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Rheumatic Heart Disease, and Lipidology.
- Patients also visit him for ASD and VSD Surgery, Dextro-Transposition of the Great Arteries (DTGA), Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery, and Vascular Surgery.
Best Hospitals in India for Adenomyosis Treatment
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital is a 700-bedded multispecialty hospital in the heart of the capital of India. It is a part of Apollo Hospital group, one of India’s most reputed healthcare chains. Indraprastha Apollo Hospital has been accredited by Joint Commission International, making it the first internationally accredited hospital in the country in 2005.
- There are 52 specialties in the hospital with one of the best cardiology centers in the country. The hospital is also equipped with State of the art infrastructure facilities with the largest Sleep Lab in Asia and the largest number of ICU bed facilities in India.
- The hospital also has one of the largest dialysis units in India along with a dedicated Bone Marrow Transplant unit.
- The latest and highly advanced technologies that are installed in the hospital include Da Vinci Robotic Surgery System, PET-MR, PET-CT, Cobalt-based HDR Brachytherapy, Brain Lab Navigation System, Tilting MRI, Portable CT scanner, 3 Tesla MRI, 128 Slice CT scanner, DSA Lab, Endosonography, Hyperbaric Chamber and Fibro scan.
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute is a multi-super-specialty, quaternary care hospital with 1000 beds. The hospital comprises reputed clinicians, and international faculty and is also equipped with cutting-edge technology. The hospital is a part of Fortis Healthcare Limited, a reputed chain of private hospitals in India.
- It is a NABH-accredited hospital that is spread across 11 acres of land and has a capacity of 1000 beds. The hospital has 55 specialties and is one of the premier health care centers in the Asia Pacific region popularly known as “the Mecca of Healthcare”.
- The hospital has 260 diagnostic centers and is also equipped with the latest and advanced techniques that include 3 Telsa which is the world’s first Digital MRI technology. The hospital also has world-class Radiation Therapy techniques which have been developed by leading technology experts from Elekta and Brain Lab.
Apollo Hospital, Chennai
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, is one of the best hospitals for heart care in India. Over the years, Apollo has expanded all over India, as a healthcare chain.
- India’s first ‘Only Pancreas’ transplant was performed in Apollo Hospital. The hospital is known for successfully performing Asia’s first en-bloc combined heart and liver transplant, and over the years, it has attained a remarkable achievement in the global healthcare space. Around 3-4 organ transplants are performed in the hospital per day.
- Equipped with over 500 beds, this hospital in Chennai was established in 1983 and since then has been among the most preferred hospital for patients from all over the world.
- The hospital holds accreditation of the NABH and JCI and is the first hospital in India to be ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certified. It is also the first South Indian Hospital to receive subsequent reaccreditation from the JCI USA 4 times.
Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon
- One of India’s best and largest multi-specialty hospitals, Medanta was built with the aim to bring India to the highest standards of medical care. The hospital has been providing the best medical services to its patients, since its inception, with care, commitment, and compassion.
- Equipped with 1250 beds, the hospital was founded by Dr. Naresh Trehan in the year 2009 with an aim to provide the best medical care at affordable costs. The hospital is spread across 43 acres and includes 45 operation theatres and 350 beds dedicated solely to ICU. The hospital includes over 800 doctors, and more than 22 specialty departments and has a dedicated floor for individual specialty in order to offer the best services under one roof.
- The hospital is considered one of the premier institutes in India for Cardiac Care and includes staffs and members of high caliber. The hospital has 6 distinct centers of excellence.
Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- One of the well-regarded providers in India committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence and patient care, Max Super Specialty Hospital is a part of Max Healthcare, which is the second-largest healthcare chain in India. Regarded as one of the most well-regarded healthcare providers in the country, Max Super Specialty Hospital is committed to the highest standards of clinical excellence as well as patient care. The hospital is also equipped with the latest technology as well as cutting-edge research. The hospital is known to deliver and ensure the highest level of patient care.
- The hospital has more than 500 beds and offers treatment for over 35 specialties. The hospital also holds the credit of having installed the first Brain Suite in Asia. This is a highly advanced Neurosurgical machine that allows MRI to be taken while surgery is ongoing.
- Other advanced and latest technologies are also installed in the hospital such as the 1.5 Tesla MRI machine, 64 Slice CT Angiography, 4D ECHO, LINAC, and 3.5T MRI machine.
Artemis Hospital, Gurugram
- One of the most well-known hospitals in the Delhi NCR, Artemis Hospital is the first hospital in Gurugram to get accredited by the Joint Commission International.
- With more than 40 specialties, the hospital has been designed to be one of the most technically advanced hospitals in the country, with the best medical and surgical health care. The hospital has eleven special and dedicated centers, for Heart, Cancer, Neurosciences, etc.
- The latest technologies in the hospital include Endovascular Hybrid Operating Suite and Flat panel Cath Labs for the cardiovascular department, 3 Tesla MRI, 16 slice PET CT, 64 Slice Cardiac CT Scan, HDR Brachytherapy, and highly advanced Image Guided Radiation Therapy techniques (LINAC) are installed in the hospital.
- The hospital has won several awards as well, since its inception.
BLK Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
- Equipped with 650 beds, BLK Superspecialty Hospital is the largest stand-alone private sector hospital in Delhi.
- With over 1500 healthcare providers and 150 globally renowned super specialists, the hospital is one of Asia’s largest Bone Marrow Transplant Centres. The hospital is known for having some of the best cancer doctors in the country.
- The hospital is NABH and NABL accredited and was inaugurated by the first Prime Minister of India. Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru.
Gleneagles Global Hospitals, Chennai
- Established in 1999, Gleneagles Global Hospital, Chennai, is one of the top healthcare facilities in Southern India. It is part of the Gleneagles Hospital Chain, which is the fourth largest healthcare chain in the country. The hospital specializes in multi-organ transplants of kidneys, liver, lungs, heart, etc.
- The hospital has an excellent infrastructure and state-of-the-art lab and equipment set-up. The hospital boasts cutting-edge technologies, a highly skilled team of doctors and surgeons, and trained support staff. Located in Perumbakam, Chennai, it is one of India’s premier health care destinations. The hospital has performed some of the most complex surgical and clinical procedures in India including multi-organ transplantations.
- The hospital’s lung transplantation program is one of the best in the country. The hospital is known for having performed India’s first single lung transplant and first minimal invasive lung transplant. It is also the only Indian hospital to be associated with King’s College Hospital, London, United Kingdom for liver transplantations.
Fortis Hospital, Mulund, Mumbai
- Fortis Hospital in Mulund is a 315-bed multi-speciality tertiary care hospital with five JCI accreditations that offers a wide variety of diagnostic and therapeutic services. The Fortis Hospital in Mulund delivers patient-centred treatment with cutting-edge technology, highly skilled and experienced surgeons, and paramedical staff.
- This institution houses Maharashtra’s largest multi-organ transplant centre. It is also the first heart transplant centre in western India to conduct 100 or more consecutive heart transplants in under four years. It is the only hospital in the city to have multi-organ transplants and has handled the youngest patient for angioplasty. Fortis Hospital Mulund now boasts the first advanced surgical robot in central Mumbai.
- Cardiology and heart surgery, urology, nephrology, neurosciences, orthopaedics, digestive care, emergency and critical care, and maternity care are among the services provided by the hospital.
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Named after the wife of Indian industrialist Dhirubhai Ambani, the founder of Reliance Industries, this is one of the top hospitals in Mumbai. This 750-bed multi-specialty hospital became operational in 2009. Known as one of India’s most advanced tertiary care facilities, the hospital is designed to raise India’s global standing as a healthcare hub, with an emphasis on excellence in clinical services.
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital uses Protocol and Care Pathway based treatment models to ensure the best outcomes for patients.
- The hospital represents a confluence of top-notch talent, cutting-edge technology, state-of-the-art infrastructure, and, most importantly commitment.
- The hospital also holds the accreditation of the NABH, NABL, CAP, and JCI.
- The hospital has been recognized as the No. 1 Multispecialty Hospital in Mumbai and the West Zone for the fifth year in a row in 2020 by The Week.
Adenomyosis is a condition that occurs when the tissue that normally lines the uterus, breaks through the uterus’s muscle wall, i.e. myometrium. The displaced tissue, however, continues to act as normal, thus thickening, breaking down and bleeding, during every menstrual cycle. This can lead to an enlarged uterus, which is heavy and painful, due to which, heavy periods can result.
Generally, adenomyosis is a benign condition, but the frequent pain and heavy bleeding that is associated with it might have a negative impact on a woman’s quality of life.
Sometimes, adenomyosis doesn’t cause any signs or symptoms, and only slight discomfort. In some cases, however, it might cause:
- Heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding
- Severe cramping or sharp, pelvic pain during menstruation i.e. dysmenorrhea
- Painful intercourse
- Chronic pelvic pain
The uterus might get bigger as well. Although you might not be aware of the uterus getting bigger, you may notice tenderness or pressure in the lower abdomen.
Causes & risk factors
The exact cause of adenomyosis is not known. However, there are various theories, which include:
Invasive Tissue Growth- According to some experts, endometrial cells from the lining of the uterus can invade the muscle that forms the uterine walls.
Uterine inflammation related to childbirth- According to another theory, there might be a link between adenomyosis and childbirth. Inflammation of the uterine lining during the postpartum period can cause a break in the normal boundary of cells lining the uterus.
Stem cell origins- There is also a recent theory that proposes that bone marrow stem cells might invade the uterine muscle, which can cause adenomyosis.
Developmental origins- According to some experts, the endometrial tissue is deposited in the uterine muscle when the uterus is formed in the fetus.
Risk factors for adenomyosis include:
- Prior uterine surgery
- Middle age
The majority of the adenomyosis cases, which depend on estrogen, are found in women in their forties and fifties. Sometimes it could relate to longer exposure to estrogen as compared to that in younger women.
However, according to current research, the condition might be common among younger women as well.
Sonohysterography is another technique that can also be used for diagnosis.
Due to the similar symptoms, sometimes adenomyosis is mistakenly diagnosed as uterine fibroids. However, the conditions are not similar.
Generally, adenomyosis goes away after menopause, and therefore treatment can depend on how close you are to that stage of life.
Some of the treatment methods include:
Your doctor might recommend anti-inflammatory medications, in order to control the pain. If you start taking an anti-inflammatory medicine one to two days before your period begins and take it again, during your period, you are able to reduce menstrual blood flow and this also helps in relieving pain.
Combined estrogen-progestin birth control pills or vaginal rings or hormone-containing patches might help in lessening the heavy bleeding and pain associated with adenomyosis.
If you are having prolonged and heavy bleeding during your periods, you might develop chronic anemia, which can cause fatigue as well as other health problems.
Although it is not harmful, the pain and excessive bleeding which is associated with adenomyosis may cause some disruption to your lifestyle.